Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

hatty posted:

I don’t understand the Mario Kart backlash the tracks seem fine to me?

Nintendo didn't add anti gravity sections, even though the main games retro courses also don't have anti gravity, and they didn't polish everything to the shine of mk8, which is very nitpicky unless you're playing on an emulator. The tracks look fine and play great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I hope that everyone posting about Triangle Strategy and FFT has played Into The Breach, the best turn-based strategy game ever.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

Hrist posted:

Miyamoto later went on to climb the same tree in an early build of botw over and over again. We can clearly see where his son gets it from. And yet he tries to act like he didn't learn it from him. :rolleyes:

i thought that was donkey kong 64

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
maybe miyamoto just climbs trees in every game he plays

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Miyamoto's son would grow up to do a well known Cuphead review video.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cohsae posted:

I hope that everyone posting about Triangle Strategy and FFT has played Into The Breach, the best turn-based strategy game ever.

i...thought into the breach was just ok. i only played a few runs and got bored

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I am this close to buying Wrestling Empire even though it's not on sale. I've only recently considered getting it once Roaming Mode became a thing, and the amount of humor I've gotten from the demo, internet posts, and lets plays (and i'm someone who rarely watches other people play things) is baffling me. Someone stop (or encourage) me from doing a dumb thing. Thanks.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks y'all! the only srpg i really know of is fft, which i loved back in the day. it sounds like triangle strategy might be a bit hard for me if i'm just trying to chill and stuff, so i'll probably hold off until i can get a good deal on it in case i bounce off after a couple hours
There's a demo so you can try it out too.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

hatty posted:

I don’t understand the Mario Kart backlash the tracks seem fine to me?

Ex-Nintendo fanboys (who still blindly consume Nintendo products) overcompensate for their former fanboyism by being hypercritical of every non-issue.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

People are too hypercritical of more Mario tracks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Very late but I finally beat and 100%ed Kirby Star Allies. The super duper final boss on Soul Eater EX was definitely a thing but what a fun fight. I’m ready for the new game now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The toads circuit track does suck and it sucked on 3ds also, it's the first track in that game and your most basic tutorial track.

Ironically the track even though it's the exact same layout is really good on tour, because of the way the scoring system works in that game, it all about racking up combos and points. In Tour it's challenging but you can manage to keep your combo up the entire race with a little bit of luck and it's very satisfying to do so.

The other three are great. The 3ds track is also the only one with really plain textures, but that's clearly a stylistic choice imo to look more like a 3ds.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/20/22987308/fortnite-chapter-3-season-2-battle-pass-doctor-strange

Building is gone.
https://twitter.com/HYPEX/status/1505512118979899402?t=FvkHsfJ4DXTJDnntRtgCLA&s=19

Where we dropping?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 21, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I will however consider myself "beaten" FFX for the purposes of picking up a new game. The end-game will take a long time I figure, and that's ok, but I won't feel so bad if I don't manage to wrap all this up by April at the very least since I am technically one step away from beating the game if I so chose.

Depending on what type of completionist you are, you may want to consider taking on the endgame before getting too into the optional stuff. Like there’s definitely sidequests and revisits to do, but the game is loaded with superbosses that will kill your party in a single hit by doing orders of magnitude more damage than you can take.

FFX has a real sharp power curve, and by the time you’re strong enough to take them on, you will be absurdly overleveled for anything the main plot has left.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Thunder Bear posted:

Play all of the traditional Zelda games available on Switch first (except the NES ones, maybe) and if you still want more, go ahead and get Skyward Sword. Otherwise I'd pass.

which of the zelda games are ‘traditional’? not sure what you mean by that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Depending on what type of completionist you are, you may want to consider taking on the endgame before getting too into the optional stuff. Like there’s definitely sidequests and revisits to do, but the game is loaded with superbosses that will kill your party in a single hit by doing orders of magnitude more damage than you can take.

FFX has a real sharp power curve, and by the time you’re strong enough to take them on, you will be absurdly overleveled for anything the main plot has left.

My plan is to check out a couple of the ultimate weapons and if it feels like a hassle stop. I may try one or two of the bonus Aeons and again, if that's too much trouble call it.

I've checked Rikku's Mix ability and know I can beat whatever comes my way for a bit anyway.

What I need to do is customize weapons and get more cash. I haven't bothered with that mechanic at all.

I can see myself trying to beat some super bosses maybe. It's true I didn't bother with them in 7-9. Felt like too much of a grind, so if it's the same here then I may stop. The difference is that using the sphere grid is super fun so I may keep at it a bit longer.

cohsae posted:

This is true and I support this message.

Wildtortilla posted:

I also watched a gameplay video of blitzball and it looked kinda dumb. Was my assessment of blitzball incorrect? How much do you have to engage with BB? Also does the sphere grid require much thought? I’m not in the right head space lately to want to think about character builds.

9 is a very good choice. Enjoy it!

Blitzball is kinda dumb but I like it. It's a very basic sports game that's 100% numbers run. You do not have to engage with it at all (there's one obligatory match you can lose no sweat) unless you want to get one characters best weapon and Limit Breaks (overdrives in X). Then yeah, you have to engage with it. There's ways to cheese it though.

Sphere grid requires no thought. It's just a very pretty and addictive way to level up as you move characters through pre-determined path. Once you finish that path you have to decide where you want them to branch off into, I'm just getting there at end-game having finally thrown Tidus, Kimahri, and Rikku down a second path, the others are getting there. Even then the game gives you a path to naturally progress down so you don't have to really think about it if you don't want to. The "Expert" sphere grid gives you a far more open ended grid from the get-go so you can make characters do things they wouldn't do normally.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Morter posted:

I am this close to buying Wrestling Empire even though it's not on sale. I've only recently considered getting it once Roaming Mode became a thing, and the amount of humor I've gotten from the demo, internet posts, and lets plays (and i'm someone who rarely watches other people play things) is baffling me. Someone stop (or encourage) me from doing a dumb thing. Thanks.

On one of the smartest consoles it’s one of the smartest choices you could make. MDickie deserves your money and hopefully we get his entire back catalog ported.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cohsae posted:

Tbh into the breach didnt really grab me as much as the other two

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

abelwingnut posted:

In this context I meant mainline Zelda games that aren't BotW or the spin-offs (like Hyrule Warriors), which are fine but liking them is a poor indicator of how much you'll like Skyward Sword.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I didn't realize you played. I recently got back into it, so I'm down for a game whenever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fortnite without building sounds soooo much better

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's how I was playing anyway, so now I don't have to put up with some rear end in a top hat immediately setting up a wall that I have to shoot down :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's a temporary change but it feels like they're testing the waters to maybe make it permeant later, at least in some modes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Somehow building stuff returned

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Morter posted:

Just get it. You'll play it on and off forever

When you want the flavour it provides, nothing else will do

When you're done with its jank, play something else for a while

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Also it helps if you let yourself get emotionally invested in the storylines, not just winning matches

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah the highest praise I can give to TS is that it gives you a character whose primary ability is "build a ladder" or "put down a trap that knocks people to the side" and they are genuinely a worthwhile and useful part of a team that is worth deploying instead if a one-note gimmick character.

Jens' spring traps are one of my favorite things to the point where I almost thought I'd have to ask for someone to design a mess-with-their-movement based SRPG so I could get more of that. Then I remembered that Into the Breach exists.

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks y'all! the only srpg i really know of is fft, which i loved back in the day. it sounds like triangle strategy might be a bit hard for me if i'm just trying to chill and stuff, so i'll probably hold off until i can get a good deal on it in case i bounce off after a couple hours

One of the best things Triangle Strategy does quietly is its level-up system. You get XP for actions (common in SRPGs), but they scale it real well so if anyone is underleveled they'll gain a whole level for acting on that turn, and acting can be as safe as using an item from the back-end if they don't have any kind of buff or AoE to throw out. And you keep all XP gained upon loss so if you do fail a fight you're already in a better position to beat it the next time. There's also an easy mode and difficulty can be changed at any time.

There was a story battle with recommended level 16 that forced me to use a character I'd neglected -- he was level 3. The first time I lost it wasn't his fault and also he was then level 8. The second time I lost was me doing something stupid and he was level 13. The third time I won and he happened to be level 16 and way more of a baller than I expected so now he's in the A-team crew.

cohsae posted:

It's actually a puzzle game using SRPG mechanics but yes it is the best at what it does. (Which happens to have literally 0 competition; I don't think anyone else has yet made SRPGs-as-puzzles. But they should.)

Kinda like Necrodancer in that regard. Invent a genre and nail it first try.

And all of these masterpieces run flawlessly on the Switch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s a weird one, how are the OLED screens in sun? I just realized my Switch in the dock gets direct sunlight in the morning now, so like the top inch or whatever of the screen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

Zelda, Zelda 2, LttP, LA.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Rolo posted:

Here’s a weird one, how are the OLED screens in sun? I just realized my Switch in the dock gets direct sunlight in the morning now, so like the top inch or whatever of the screen.

your house is going to burn down

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I ordered an OLED switch and I'm excited. I'll try to keep it out of the sun, lest I unlock the final eldritch seal under my house.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
letting the sun hit the OLED is fine as long as you don't have a dog that's under 25lbs in the house

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I tried playing the Triangle Strategy demo but almost fell asleep at how boring the characters and story is. I read that there is shitloads of exposition and story stuff compared to the actual battles so I wasn't confident on bothering to continue yet. Based on the posts here though maybe I'll give it another shot---I just want something that's close to Tactics Ogre GBA in iso strategy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The toads circuit track does suck and it sucked on 3ds also, it's the first track in that game and your most basic tutorial track.

Ironically the track even though it's the exact same layout is really good on tour, because of the way the scoring system works in that game, it all about racking up combos and points. In Tour it's challenging but you can manage to keep your combo up the entire race with a little bit of luck and it's very satisfying to do so.

The other three are great. The 3ds track is also the only one with really plain textures, but that's clearly a stylistic choice imo to look more like a 3ds.

I like how Tour mixes up those very basic tracks with jumps and ramps to do tricks off of. I realize it's a totally different game, but that would make the easy tracks like Toads Circuit more fun

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's actually a puzzle game using SRPG mechanics but yes it is the best at what it does. (Which happens to have literally 0 competition; I don't think anyone else has yet made SRPGs-as-puzzles. But they should.)

Would you (or anyone else) say that Triangle Strategy's maps are closer to the GBA Fire Emblems (or FE Conquest) than FFT? I can do either, but I'm a sucker for "puzzle maps" and as you mentioned that's something that even modern FE hasn't been prioritizing nowadays.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
One thing I wish triangle strategy did was give me more side fights. I don’t want to skip story but then I go like a whole chapter with one mandatory and one optional fight

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

Kinda like Necrodancer in that regard. Invent a genre and nail it first try.

Mario vs Rabbids feels kind of puzzle adjacent, since every mission is handmade. Sometimes there's a gimmick or the map and enemies are placed in very specific ways to offer a specific obstacle. There are bonus missions you have to beat in one turn which are literally puzzles, where you have to find the solution, for example "Move Luigi to this exact spot, fire at this enemy, which will attack him and launch him across the pit, putting you in position to run to the goal"

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thunder Bear posted:

Would you (or anyone else) say that Triangle Strategy's maps are closer to the GBA Fire Emblems (or FE Conquest) than FFT? I can do either, but I'm a sucker for "puzzle maps" and as you mentioned that's something that even modern FE hasn't been prioritizing nowadays.

Without remembering all the references, I wouldn't say there are puzzle maps that strongly encourage a "right" solution but on any of the maps I have died on, revisiting them with a broadly different strategy has generally worked.

Then there was one just-for-fun fight that felt like a wrestling ring and hoo boy did the spring traps pay dividends there.

It feels more like there are multiple ways to get the intended solution (which is often cheese the AI if you're underleveled/on hard) and something about the game design has me cycling through them. Whether it's placing a ladder then standing right atop it so enemies can't climb it or exploiting archer-on-a-bird or running slightly faster than everybody and throwing poison at them, there seem to be enough tools in the kit to keep it fresh.

Tender Bender posted:

Mario vs Rabbids feels kind of puzzle adjacent, since every mission is handmade. Sometimes there's a gimmick or the map and enemies are placed in very specific ways to offer a specific obstacle. There are bonus missions you have to beat in one turn which are literally puzzles, where you have to find the solution, for example "Move Luigi to this exact spot, fire at this enemy, which will attack him and launch him across the pit, putting you in position to run to the goal"

Oh, you're right. That was basically a puzzle SRPG as well. And very good!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hammer Bro. posted:

Strategy peeps need to buy Root. You can play it as a strategy or an RPG

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Good stuff. By "puzzle maps" I don't necessarily mean "finding the one solution to this map", but rather something a little more involved than just mashing your units against the enemy's units and coming out on top (which admittedly is what FFT and modern FEs boil down to, especially late game). I didn't have a ton of interest in Triangle Strategy at first, but people sharing mission impressions like this are keeping the game in my head.