Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It takes a fair amount of money and effort to get to Ukraine at them moment which immediately discounts 98% of the internet warriors saying they are going to Ukraine from ever getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wonder what is the ratio of guys showing up (with no ties to Ukraine) to usefulness. Maybe 1 in 5? Even then I'd imagine being given a shovel and helping clear streets would be far more likely than running riot with a javelin. I'd guess they wouldn't give a gun to a rando especially if he didn't speak the language.

They seem to be changing tactic, but the very earliest volunteers described being given a rifle, placed in mixed-language squads, and sent to man the line north of Kyiv while regulars had AT weapons etc., typically with a Ukrainian officer who could speak english telling them what color uniform to shoot at.

It seems Ukraine saw how poo poo these troops were and has been changing it up a bit lately.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

They seem to be changing tactic, but the very earliest volunteers described being given a rifle, placed in mixed-language squads, and sent to man the line north of Kyiv while regulars had AT weapons etc., typically with a Ukrainian officer who could speak english telling them what color uniform to shoot at.

It seems Ukraine saw how poo poo these troops were and has been changing it up a bit lately.

Yeah, the new line is that they only need/want *snipers*, and not weebs with PUBG/Fortnite experience.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

psydude posted:

Tolkien went to his grave swearing that none of it was allegory. Hasn't stopped everyone from believing otherwise, though.

He went to his grave swearing none of it was allegory for World War II, which is probably right. It could absolutely have been inspired by World War I, though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look if I can come up with Head canon where the imperium of man unfucks itself and stops being super hosed up…Tolkien could have done it for the orcs and others.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Even if its not an allegory at all just describing Mordor and having in your head a WWI battlefield it probably kinda colors that even if not intentionally.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Murgos posted:

It takes a fair amount of money and effort to get to Ukraine at them moment which immediately discounts 98% of the internet warriors saying they are going to Ukraine from ever getting there.

That feels similar to when evangelical friends would go on "mission vacations" where they would travel to Africa or Mexico for two weeks despite lacking language ability or any critical skills, preceded by many rounds of vaccinations and fundraising for their air travel. Even some of the less cynical folk I knew questioned how that made sense when there were established groups already there and donating the thousands in travel costs would do far more good than one extra unskilled laborer.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

That Works posted:

Even if its not an allegory at all just describing Mordor and having in your head a WWI battlefield it probably kinda colors that even if not intentionally.

For sure. There's a fat line between allegory and influence. The Dead Marshes, for example:

some lotr wiki posted:

In The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolkien speculated that the description of the Dead Marshes may have been based on his personal experience in World War I, specifically, the Battle of the Somme, in which he saw dead men who were lying in the mud where they were killed.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

When I retired from the mil and relocated to the upper Midwest I had an extremely strong calling to volunteer and help out in my community. I called the one local homeless shelter that promised no strings attached help to anyone who asked for it. I agreed to volunteer my time manning the counter to give food and clothes to local homeless and help sort donations people brought in. I worked 3 days a week alongside homeless and recently homeless staff for about a month until I realized that one less person was being scheduled and being kept from earning money because I was there volunteering my hours. So I switched to donating money to the shelter so they could pay someone to do the things I’d been doing.

If war tourists donated the costs of their travel to and from Ukraine to disaster relief funds, they too would do more good and help more people than they will trying to play soldier in a place they have no hope of being anything more than in the way and unable to communicate.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1505937665010581510?s=20&t=xSNjjjkzxfE35B06oIaYPw

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
For dingbats who roll up with no combat skills you'd think just putting them to work digging people out of rubble and digging graves and poo poo would be more help than anything else.

Make molotovs, load and unload trucks, man the laundry, something. They get to be of help, get a pat on the back, and then get to make up the wildest bullshit combat stories you've ever heard of when they are trying to get tail in a bar back home.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I tried to read it a few years ago. I thought it was an interesting take on the idea and a decent read until about 2/3 through when it got bogged down in Umbar being a mediocre spy novel. I couldn't really finish it at that point.

Yeah the "born evil slaves, no free will" thing never sat well with his Catholicism, but he didn't find a way to reconcile them before he died so the closest thing to canon* on the Orcs and Trolls is that they're corrupted descendants of Elves and Ents who Morgoth and Sauron can basically mind-control and the idea of redemption was never explored.

*Not actually asserted to be true in the fiction, but this is the Elves' best guess.

I don't know LOTR well but I do appreciate in fiction when an author takes the time to set up an alien race to not be all-evil all the time as like other posters have mentioned it does make escapist adventure stories have the uncomfortable question of well why wouldn't our heroes do a genocide if every single member of a species is trying to be harmful 24/7? Especially when it is accompanied by the good races being attractive to human standards and the evil ones being ugly.

I thought it was handled well on DS9 where some Klingons were shown to be chefs or engineers and not all-war all the time, and the Ferengi went from bumbling greedy space gnomes to a functional culture superior to humans in some ways as their history didn't include massive wars.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

not caring here posted:

For dingbats who roll up with no combat skills you'd think just putting them to work digging people out of rubble and digging graves and poo poo would be more help than anything else.

Make molotovs, load and unload trucks, man the laundry, something. They get to be of help, get a pat on the back, and then get to make up the wildest bullshit combat stories you've ever heard of when they are trying to get tail in a bar back home.

Oh, in other words an Airman?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On the other hand I'm also sick of modern fiction where "maybe the demons/vampires/cosmic horrors just love romcoms and want to get along at heart"

At least for the most part newer irredeemable evil is getting described as inhuman rather than just ugly humanoid. Nobody cares if a slime tentacle monster or a giant evil planet that can only be defeated by love is absolute evil.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“Man is the true monster” is the ultimate copout in fiction. gently caress you Mary Shelley.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Cimber posted:

Oh, in other words an Airman?

"What did I do in the war? Well, I was in SF. Can't really talk about it. What does SF stand for? Uh, security forces."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

“Man is the true monster” is the ultimate copout in fiction.

where's the fiction

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sounds like you've never cared for guard geese. Then you would know true evil

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jesus, there were guard geese at a whiskey distillery warehouse in Scotland. That it wasn’t ever overrun by desperate Scotsmen is both impressive and terrifying :stonklol:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The war in Ukraine has made me revisit the Tomorrow series by John Marsden and man this poo poo is brilliant in a way I couldn't comprehend as a teenager. Go read it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That feels similar to when evangelical friends would go on "mission vacations" where they would travel to Africa or Mexico for two weeks despite lacking language ability or any critical skills, preceded by many rounds of vaccinations and fundraising for their air travel. Even some of the less cynical folk I knew questioned how that made sense when there were established groups already there and donating the thousands in travel costs would do far more good than one extra unskilled laborer.

Some places have started charging people for volunteering time / photo op, it’s offered as an expedition by tour organizers and stuff. Literally “do you want to go ride an ATV in the desert, or build a wall in a village? Here’s the price list.” (I went sandboarding.)

Murgos posted:

It’s about $2k to get to the Romania / Ukraine border right now, with minimum difficulty (I know someone who went, they’re a reporter). Afterwards, heh who knows.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1505924150589747201?t=KF_SNzJzXXQ60-b-Or0xkw&s=19

quote:

A backgrounder briefing with a senior U.S. defense official at the Pentagon about the Russian war in Ukraine has just concluded. It’s Day 26 of the invasion.

Some takeaways:
As noted widely in the media, fighting in and around Mariupol is fierce, the senior defense official says. It remains isolated.
Seizing Mariupol is significant to the Russians because it will provide Putin with a land bridge to Crimea, cut off Ukrainian forces there from the rest of the country, and provide the Russians with a new port, senior U.S. defense official says.

The military situation elsewhere in Ukraine remains largely static, with Russia unable to date to capture major Ukrainian cities and continued bombardment.

As of Monday, Russia has now launched more than 1,100 missiles at Ukraine during the war. That number continues to climb by a few dozen per day.

Pentagon still is not confirming Russia’s claim that it used hypersonic missiles in the war.

“We’re not able to refute it but we can’t independently confirm it, either,” the senior defense official said.

The senior defense official adds that it’s a “bit of a head scratcher if they did” use hypersonics to hit the reported targets they did (buildings).

Says it may be they were trying to demonstrate the capability, or to gain leverage with the Ukrainians in negotiations.

The most recent package of military aid approved by President Biden has not reached Ukraine yet, the senior defense official says.

That package included, for the first time, tactical drones.

Continued Russian naval activity is occurring in the northern Black Sea. Unclear what that means yet.

About a dozen Russian war ships are there, the senior defense official says.

U.S. still is not verifying reports of Russian generals killed. That keeps coming up. Same answer from Pentagon.

That said, senior defense official makes point that “there’s a certain logic to make sure that you have general officers in the field” in a war this size. Pentagon assesses U.S. and Russians operate differently, w/ experienced enlisted U.S. troops providing leadership, too.

The Pentagon assesses that a Russian drone that flew into Polish airspace recently occurred because of a mistake. It appears the drone lost its datalink, went into Poland and then crashed, senior U.S. defense official says.

Preassembled Russian combat power is now assessed “at just below 90 percent.”

This has been a relatively vague Pentagon statistic that has frustrated some outside analysts.

There have been no recent communications between @SecDef and his Russian counterparts, senior U.S. defense official says.

Losing datalink and having your UAV crash on another country, ha, can't imagine that ever happening to us [looks away in the middle distance]

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Jesus, there were guard geese at a whiskey distillery warehouse in Scotland. That it wasn’t ever overrun by desperate Scotsmen is both impressive and terrifying :stonklol:

I had to smack one in the face with its 5 gallon food bucket after i had fed it to get it to stop charging me when i was a kid. Theyre loving assholes

Edit: these were some of the instructions given by their owner up the road. Also carry a opened umbrella to help herd/ fend them off

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Losing datalink and having your UAV crash on another country, ha, can't imagine that ever happening to us [looks away in the middle distance]

Please, call me when Vasurus accidentally invades Moldova.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Nick Soapdish posted:

US DOD official reads report about Russia drone crashing in a neutral, foreign country: :same:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Was that in Oban? That place had a good tour, really emphasized how much more history the UK has as when they were excavating a nearby hillside to expand their building they were finding cavemen skeletons.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blistex posted:

What's the deal with Azov? They have good PR or are they as capable as the reporting seems to indicate? Seems that they are punching above what their numbers would to indicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoGFfr1ahGQ

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

not caring here posted:

Yeah gently caress em, unless they have a specialty skill (Search and Rescue, Fire Fighter, EMT / Paramedic / 68 W or 18D), or are a combat veteran, make em do manual labor or drive trucks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Russia admits that they have lost 10k Russian Federation Soldiers (so separatists, chechens, PMCs, and others likely are not included) and the number is still probably lower than reality.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1505972650786672648

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Holy crap.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Russia admits that they have lost 10k Russian Federation Soldiers (so separatists, chechens, PMCs, and others likely are not included) and the number is still probably lower than reality.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1505972650786672648

25k KIA and Wounded out of 190k pre-invasion sounds like it should translate into a lot less combat effectiveness than 90% even accounting for reinforcements.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Holy poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's either a hack, or a typo, or sself-sabotage, the Russian MoD has not released any figures of the sort.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Murgos posted:

25k KIA and Wounded out of 190k pre-invasion sounds like it should translate into a lot less combat effectiveness than 90% even accounting for reinforcements.

Wounded doesn't mean combat ineffective. Could be minor and back in the fight.

I'd be curious about equipment losses. 10% of Russia's MBTs, IFVs, and Trucks is a lot of materiel.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holyfuckingshit

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Someone in the D&d thread posted someone else digging into that casaulty figure. The telegram post is gone into the void

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Hekk posted:

When I retired from the mil and relocated to the upper Midwest I had an extremely strong calling to volunteer and help out in my community. I called the one local homeless shelter that promised no strings attached help to anyone who asked for it. I agreed to volunteer my time manning the counter to give food and clothes to local homeless and help sort donations people brought in. I worked 3 days a week alongside homeless and recently homeless staff for about a month until I realized that one less person was being scheduled and being kept from earning money because I was there volunteering my hours. So I switched to donating money to the shelter so they could pay someone to do the things I’d been doing.

If war tourists donated the costs of their travel to and from Ukraine to disaster relief funds, they too would do more good and help more people than they will trying to play soldier in a place they have no hope of being anything more than in the way and unable to communicate.

That seems a bit odd because when I've volunteered for the local homeless and inclement weather shelters I was always put in positions that weren't jobs the homeless were doing. If we were short-staffed of volunteers the homeless volunteered their time alongside us. Also volunteering for non-profits gets them access to grants so your work really does help those organizations. Volunteering for the homeless is a noble act of compassion and is good for you. While war tourism is for psychopaths and con-men who get killed, arrested, or flee when things get difficult.

I highly recommend volunteering, it really helps your mental health in these difficult times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Scaramouche posted:

Someone in the D&d thread posted someone else digging into that casaulty figure. The telegram post is gone into the void

Yeah it looks like the original source has disappeared, so we're just left speculating again.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

lowkey this has almost certainly been a huge priority since before even the mig stuff

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah it looks like the original source has disappeared, so we're just left speculating again.

there've been several cyber attack efforts to get casualty figures posted openly in russian meda... probably what that was, if I had to guess. That or someone suddenly decided it would be expedient to acknowledge, what, 5x more casualties than previously acknowledged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lowkey this has almost certainly been a huge priority since before even the mig stuff

there've been several cyber attack efforts to get casualty figures posted openly in russian meda... probably what that was, if I had to guess. That or someone suddenly decided it would be expedient to acknowledge, what, 5x more casualties than previously acknowledged?

he only previous number from Russia was just below 500, a good few weeks ago, so more like 20x.