Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I saw that and rolled my eyes and thought of the thread but also - what's a normal production number for a major brand guitar? I imagine like american pro II strats vs yamaha pacifica numbers are different (I'm curious about both tbh), I'm just trying to get a sense of how small these Gibson runs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

There's no accounting for taste. It could look cool in the right context. Lmao at the pricetag though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That is horribleness in guitar form. I hate it. Thanks!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

JamesKPolk posted:

I saw that and rolled my eyes and thought of the thread but also - what's a normal production number for a major brand guitar? I imagine like american pro II strats vs yamaha pacifica numbers are different (I'm curious about both tbh), I'm just trying to get a sense of how small these Gibson runs are.

There's definitely a case to for making an experimental run of a few hundred or maybe low thousands of a new model of guitar and then deciding if you'll make more later, but very specifically marketing ONLY 318 TO BE MADE is just blatant artificial scarcity

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

GreatGreen posted:

Gibson must have sensed this thread is moving too slow these days. They just came out with a new guitar. It's called the Theodore.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/CUSKUG690/Theodore/Natural

$5,000. They want five thousand US dollars for an ugly piece of poo poo that looks like an Explorer neck glued to a tulip. lol

They're only making 318 of them. They're already sold out, because of course they are.

Jesus. I saw a glimpse of one of those last night on a YouTube thumbnail. It was someone streaming live, but just assumed it was something vintage or a weird boutique brand or a Chinese guitar, which is what I normally watch.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

oh god I just noticed the truss rod cover is slightly askew that is gonna pop to me every time I see one now

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That would be a fine $250 guitar. You gotta be loving insane if you're paying $5k for that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Gibson comes out with that, Fender reissues the Meteora.

gently caress, I like Gibsons, but they are NOT doing themselves any favours.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Gibson must have sensed this thread is moving too slow these days. They just came out with a new guitar. It's called the Theodore.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/CUSKUG690/Theodore/Natural

$5,000. They want five thousand US dollars for an ugly piece of poo poo that looks like an Explorer neck glued to a tulip. lol

They're only making 318 of them. They're already sold out, because of course they are.
i kind of like it actually....i do not 5000 dollars like it lmfao

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think its one of those designs that'd look a lot better without the pickguard, wanna see one with that popped off

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i kind of like it actually....i do not 5000 dollars like it lmfao

Yeah, if was a Teisco or something Soviet or an Orfeus for a couple hundred, sure.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It needs a 3x3 headstock with the symmetrical body, or at least a straighter one. Gonna steal someone else's photoshop; standard Gibson, Melody Maker, and a Firebird. MM or Firebird would suit it better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

basically anything apart from hockey stick

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

widefault posted:

It needs a 3x3 headstock with the symmetrical body, or at least a straighter one. Gonna steal someone else's photoshop; standard Gibson, Melody Maker, and a Firebird. MM or Firebird would suit it better

Ride the fugly and chuck on a seventies Kramer aluminium neck with the split head.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
some additional tweaking to the body shape and the firebird one might actually look rad

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

well why not posted:

basically anything apart from hockey stick

I was just catching up on the thread and this was the point I was gonna make. That photoshop proves it too, nearly any other headstock looks way better. I kinda do like the tulip shape, but I am biased towards plant motifs in general. However I feel like I've seen a similar shape done better by Tokai; I think on one of their goofy aluminium body instruments with like a rainbow anodize finish too.

And of course lol at 5k. I prefer my poo poo to top out at 1k unless it's something exceptional that I've been able to try out in a store and this ain't it. Also why 318 produced? Is that the model number of this particular body shape?

Edit: I was thinking about the Tokai Talbo. Here is a boring silver one on reverb.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 20, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

After the 318 they’ll probably make one that looks good but is not Exclusive.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

well why not posted:

After the 318 they’ll probably make one that looks good but is not Exclusive.

Haha holy poo poo I really think you’re right, they went with a design that nobody would want to buy for its own sake because that makes it easy to commit to never mass-producing it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnp6JDjiZNw

video on the weird tulip gibson. it looks weird in video too

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think it'd be cool if it was assymetrical

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't hate it, but it looks to me like it belongs in the same category as that daisy shaped guitar.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

This came up on my Facebook feed yesterday.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

That strange guy posted:

Of all the bass bridge designs, why would someone willingly choose a Rickenbacker style one

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hawaiian_robot posted:

Of all the bass bridge designs, why would someone willingly choose a Rickenbacker style one

But but on board effects man! And tbh I don't even know why Rickenbacker uses a Rickenbacker style bridge, mine's lifted a little over the years like nearly all of them do.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Quick question, who is Mike Ness and does anyone hold him in any sort of regard? (Apart from Gibson and his $9000 signature Les Paul)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chrpno posted:

Quick question, who is Mike Ness and does anyone hold him in any sort of regard? (Apart from Gibson and his $9000 signature Les Paul)

that’s the dude from social distortion,$9000 instruments are very punk rock i guess lmao

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Drinking game: Go to The Gear Page and open a dozen threads with more than one page that are titled as an opinion, eg: "Is It Just Me Or...", "Why Can't Anyone..." etc

Take a drink for each occurrence of the following:
- Kids these days
- No one practices
- Guitar is dead / No one plays guitar now
- Music is bad now

Congrats, and please call the ambulance ahead of time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

syntaxfunction posted:

Drinking game: Go to The Gear Page and open a dozen threads with more than one page that are titled as an opinion, eg: "Is It Just Me Or...", "Why Can't Anyone..." etc

Take a drink for each occurrence of the following:
- Kids these days
- No one practices
- Guitar is dead / No one plays guitar now
- Music is bad now

Congrats, and please call the ambulance ahead of time.

Is there a bonus round for mentions of Hendrix, Clapton, Jimmy Page, SRV, and maaaaybe Steve Vai?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Is there a bonus round for mentions of Hendrix, Clapton, Jimmy Page, SRV, and maaaaybe Steve Vai?

If anyone is left standing sure. Go nuts, Jonestown the place I guess.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

syntaxfunction posted:

If anyone is left standing sure. Go nuts, Jonestown the place I guess.

Go big or go home. Or register there and start posting about Rory Gallagher, although flame wars are passe these days aren't they?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

That strange guy posted:

The Electra Outlaw bass is super cool and if I had billions of dollaridoos, I would totally buy one. Serek basses has been doing some videos on unusual basses recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FewaqAy8liA

Chris Squire had a modified one that you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzxZzIiO84Y

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dewgy posted:

that’s the dude from social distortion,$9000 instruments are very punk rock i guess lmao

Lmao

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Blues lawyers are a dying market gotta get the next big demographic the punk lawyer.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Thumposaurus posted:

Blues lawyers are a dying market gotta get the next big demographic the punk lawyer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

you just cant make punk on cheap gear like you used to these days

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

you just cant make punk on cheap gear like you used to these days

drat inflation

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Honestly, I kinda like that Gibson is trying out new shapes (even if it's from the archives) instead of the usual "strat but pointy" that is most guitars. Followed by "tele" and "variation on Gibson models (explorer, V, SG, LP)". We need more experimental shapes, even if half of them are in fact bad.
The artificial scarcity is dumb as hell though, but commercially smart. They know they have a demographic that will but overpriced trial runs, and if people like the design, they can do the second run at scale without diminishing the "first edition". Especially if they change a few details like the headstock or colour options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

Stefan Ries, Chief Human Resources Officer at SAP.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2018/10/10/how-punk-rock-can-revitalize-human-resources/?sh=50ee6ca69267

quote:

“The heart of the human revolution is us,” said Ries. “The old days of HR are over. Today onward we need to revolutionize and the best people who can do this are HR punks.”