Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
give me that big blue beautiful ocean

eat poo poo, Ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

IAMKOREA posted:

Whoa we're finally beating 2011-2012? Oh gently caress yeah

2012 was unremarkable at the start of melt season. The end on the other hand...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Thermodynamics is a law of physics that does not apply to economies.

The laws of physics do not apply to the science of economics!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
So glad I got my physics degree and secured my position within the planetary ruling council

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

2012 was unremarkable at the start of melt season. The end on the other hand...

Oh yeah I misread that chart good point. Oh well we're off to a great season either way!

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Raine posted:

the idea of "doing something" is rooted in the assumption that there is something you can do on a personal level to mitigate the effects of climate change

i do not believe a personal action like this exists, because i do not believe climate change can be meaningfully mitigated under capitalism (when i say "meaningfully mitigated" i am acknowledging that a special hell is possible where we continue to somehow cling on to our dying world in suffering and agony)

We can do what the Lakota did to survive the last ice age, live underground for thousands of years.

or for white people to understand, on David Lynches dune, the Fremen built large underground water supplies.

We need to do the same thing, and farm underground,

time to get used to algae cakes for everything

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

you are here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd7rScF8tIs

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Vinja Ninja posted:

We can do what the Lakota did to survive the last ice age, live underground for thousands of years.

if you have any more information about this, I'd be interested in learning about it

I'd Google it but Google is useless now

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Cloks posted:

if you have any more information about this, I'd be interested in learning about it

I'd Google it but Google is useless now

I grew up on the lakota reservation and its only word of mouth, just like the secret local delacacy, Puppy Soup.

Also the xbox 360 Turok game is loosely based on the same story, basically the Lakota survived underground and came out, because mankind hosed up, and if we colonize the moon, we will fuckup super bad and unless we make earth a garden planet we will SUFFER

They dont like talking about it because my 1st cousins who is my adopted brothers grandpa accidently started a cult because he talked about it to white people, and thats why greenpeace names their boats "rainbow warrior". Basically its not talked about because it goes on the extremes of -people beleiving it too hard and making a cult -the other people thinking its all bullshit and for attention and NOBODY LIVED UNDERGROUND DURING THE ICE AGE, its not in the history books!

Basically its lose lose telling people cool native legends.

Its terrible

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

in ancient hindu text the rig veda, serpent vritra has blocked all the rivers holding up earth's water on a mountain until god indra drinks soma and defeats it with a thunderbolt, freeing the waters. indra also splits open the cave vala to release a bunch of cows and the morning dawn.

the book The Arctic Home in the Vedas argues that the stories are so old that they took place at the north pole and are about the glaciers melting at the end of the last ice age.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

in ancient hindu text the rig veda, serpent vritra has blocked all the rivers holding up earth's water on a mountain until god indra drinks soma and defeats it with a thunderbolt, freeing the waters. indra also splits open the cave vala to release a bunch of cows and the morning dawn.

the book The Arctic Home in the Vedas argues that the stories are so old that they took place at the north pole and are about the glaciers melting at the end of the last ice age.

this could have easily been solved if those idiots had just written down the date in which the stories were created

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

turns out everything was going great until someone thought "583 years ago" was a literary device and kept using that number when they were retelling the story

on an unrelated note:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hubbert posted:

I know, I know I've let you bdown ...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hubbert posted:

I know, I know I've let you bdown ...

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The last glacial period had already been underway since ~100,000 BC and lasted until ~10,000 BC. There was no pre-glacial Arctic humanity.

That book was written in 1903 and was mistakenly assuming that the last ice age had been short-lived, and happened around that time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

by god that’s prison labor’s music!!!!

covid made sure there's no backlog of healthy inmates capable of being sent to fight fires lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

got some cheap baobab seeds off ebay, takes 15-20 years to get to fruiting size so ill probably never see that but they germinate pretty easily! just gotta find a higher neighborhood to plant them in that won't be underwater by then. the powdery part tastes pretty good too, like a freeze dried lemon or something.

:nice:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Rauros posted:

when i was in undergrad in the early 2000's, we had a coral biologist in our environmental studies 201 class said if you wanted to see coral in florida, you better go right now before it turned into algae flats. he was right, and it's all gone now and forgotten.

10 years later, i had a job interview in hawaii, and i hiked down to snorkel a reef that was below the cliff my hostel sat on. this was my first coral reef, and i was blown away how alien it felt...so many forms and shapes. i then took the best nap i ever had under a scrubby tree while the radiant heat of the sun-warmed lava rock created the perfect temperature while I could see dozens of yellow tangs in the water to my immediate left.

sweet, i still have the photo of the nap spot:

I tried to find some source to learn more about it, and the first article from 2020 has this to say:

quote:

The United States’ coral reefs are in fair condition, according to a recent reef condition status report, but vulnerable to decline. Scientists estimate that along the coast of Florida, where degradation is most severe, perhaps as little as 2% of original coral cover remains.

Did i forget the definition of "fair"?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Dr. Furious posted:

Over 99% of economic activity takes place outside of Antarctica so why would we care?

NUMBER go UP

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sitting outside in the garden in Scotland enjoying the sun, if this is global warming then warm me up!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

White Rock posted:

Well you see, we compare year over year, and it seems that from the previous year we went from 3% to 2% of the initial coverage, with is only a 33% decline in total size, so more than half, 66%, is still good from last year. It's not ideal, but quite fair!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

fair is the bad but let’s not make a scene rating

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

White Rock posted:

I tried to find some source to learn more about it, and the first article from 2020 has this to say:

In chess a Good move is really bad so it's probably like that

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
If I was just born I would be really pissed off at my parents for having me in 20 years lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

White Rock posted:

Reading that quote, I think you've misinterpreted it. Overall the condition might be fair, but florida is a shitshow. It would be like if I roundhouse kicked you in the balls and your doctor said

quote:

Your body is in fair condition, but vulnerable to a further beatdown. Scientists estimate that in your groin, where degradation is most severe, perhaps as little as 2% of original ballsack remains.

Also:

kater posted:

fair is the bad but let’s not make a scene rating

A fair interpretation

:smug:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RC Cola posted:

If I was just born I would be really pissed off at my parents for having me in 20 years lol

Yeah, but think of the content they're going to get to enjoy. The key is to be the last generation alive with access to the internet so you can watch everything fall apart.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
A lot of horrible things will get done that won't fix or even meaningfully ameliorate climate change disasters but will be done with goal of just that
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1505921169928691714

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
property development opportunities in the Antarctic warming up!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Capital Weather Gang!

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

lol. lmao

the horsemen are doing a collab

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

people who say we can still avert 1.5C are funny as hell

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60815547

"Scientists believe that keeping the rise in global temperatures under 1.5C this century is crucial to limiting the scale of damage from global warming.

To keep that threshold alive, carbon output needs to be cut in half by the end of this decade. Instead, as Mr Guterres points out, emissions are set to rise by 14%."

pretty sure if all carbon output magically stopped tomorrow we would still hit 1.5C anyway

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

actionjackson posted:

"Scientists believe that keeping the rise in global temperatures under 1.5C this century is crucial to limiting the scale of damage from global warming.

To keep that threshold alive, carbon output needs to be cut in half by the end of this decade. Instead, as Mr Guterres points out, emissions are set to rise by 14%."

pretty sure if all carbon output magically stopped tomorrow we would still hit 1.5C anyway

I love the "this century" framing, like the problem of climate change isn't something to worry about until 2100.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

actionjackson posted:

2.5 is the suddenly every government actually gives a poo poo and immediately stops fossil fuels minimum.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

bedpan posted:

I love the "this century" framing, like the problem of climate change isn't something to worry about until 2100.

Are YOU going to be alive in 2100 :smug: sounds like a them problem

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Sitting outside in the garden in Scotland enjoying the sun, if this is global warming then warm me up!

I really enjoyed it last summer when I went to the mountains of where I was born, And its hundreds of miles away from any major city, and there was this horizon of beautiful yellow smog.

Beautiful, when I was younger I could see clarity on the horizon, now its tinged in a yellow smog layer of diffusion.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

bedpan posted:

it's the other way around, climate problems stop getting worse in 2100. no we've never run the models out to 2200, but we're pretty sure all the bad stuff stops at 2100.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
If by "bad stuff" you mean human technological civilization, yeah

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I really enjoyed it last summer when I went to the mountains of where I was born, And its hundreds of miles away from any major city, and there was this horizon of beautiful yellow smog.

Beautiful, when I was younger I could see clarity on the horizon, now its tinged in a yellow smog layer of diffusion.

should have gone during the three weeks in 2020 where people cared about covid and the skies cleared up everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
anarcho primitivists are right