Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

We have more tools and less healthcare workers to use them than ever before
Maybe we can get Elon Musk to make us self-driving nurses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Soap Scum posted:

that being said: what's loving shocking to me is some of our acquaintances who are constantly going to indoor restaurants / concerts / etc. unmasked and still somehow have never tested positive (and many of them also pcr test weekly). we avoid seeing those people unmasked indoors but like, drat, how the gently caress? like someone else in this thread referred to, i have nightmares about walking into a grocery store even a single time without a mask on. i have no idea how these people can willingly go to a concert with like 2000 sweaty dancing people inside at this point.

i have a lib friend like this who more or less said something to the tune of, "yeah i dunno, i guess i'm just immune, i'm just not gonna mask anymore"

gonna lmao when they catch it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Platystemon posted:

IF YOU'RE READING THIS, YOU'VE BEEN IN A COMA FOR ALMOST 20 MONTHS NOW. WE'RE TRYING A NEW TECHNIQUE. WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS MESSAGE WILL END UP IN YOUR DREAM, BUT WE HOPE WE'RE GETTING THROUGH.

I miss the part of my 20s where I would regularly get high enough that this would scare me.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

platzapS posted:

went to work maskless by accident. luckily a coworker had an unused n95 I had given them a month ago

i spaced this morning and left my freshly washed & new filtered envo on my kitchen table

got to work and realized my grave mistake, thankfully there was a still sealed aura under my passenger seat

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

this is some good poo poo

Soap Scum posted:

i have no idea how the gently caress anyone with a kid in usa avoids covid. it seems literally inevitable. i would live in constant anxiety/terror, holy gently caress.
lol yeah
i'm completely owned

Soap Scum posted:

that being said: what's loving shocking to me is some of our acquaintances who are constantly going to indoor restaurants / concerts / etc. unmasked and still somehow have never tested positive (and many of them also pcr test weekly). we avoid seeing those people unmasked indoors but like, drat, how the gently caress? like someone else in this thread referred to, i have nightmares about walking into a grocery store even a single time without a mask on. i have no idea how these people can willingly go to a concert with like 2000 sweaty dancing people inside at this point.
we don't talk about Bruno/Covid no no no
i've had several relatives/friends/acquaintances get covid / long covid but i had to pry that info out of them
looking at their social channels and there's no mention of it at all

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

holefoods posted:

am I losing it or did this loving moron say he was concerned about a new wave like 2 days ago?

constantly release contradictory messages so that no matter what happens, when you get sick it's your fault.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

i have no idea how the gently caress anyone with a kid in usa avoids covid. it seems literally inevitable. i would live in constant anxiety/terror, holy gently caress.

One of my most recent crack-pings was the realization that my parents would have sent me to school in a cloth mask and not even tell me about Long COVID.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bedpan posted:

is that a lathe I hear spinning?

"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven."

It's pretty fun that COVID is functionally an event in the book.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

One of my most recent crack-pings was the realization that my parents would have sent me to school in a cloth mask and not even tell me about Long COVID.

I love my parents but I also know their worldview is that you never, not ever, miss school or work because you are sick.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tulip posted:

"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven."

It's pretty fun that COVID is functionally an event in the book.

that quote just got me to read the book so that's cool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

secure *click*

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

secure *click*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tzen posted:

i am reminded of the doc that took the last few vaccines from a vial and got fired over it in early 2021

as of sept 21' he's suing them

the Turkish race is considered white by the US government. good luck hasan.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

bedpan posted:

I love my parents but I also know their worldview is that you never, not ever, miss school or work because you are sick.

goddamn i have been working on unlearning this. i had it viciously beaten into me by my mother first and then the restaurant industry.

this fuckin sucks

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Edit: Uh, the thing I was quoting completely changed in the time it took me to reply. So never mind.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

not_superiority posted:

goddamn i have been working on unlearning this. i had it viciously beaten into me by my mother first and then the restaurant industry.

this fuckin sucks

growing up, I was the kid in class who was sniffling and coughing and getting everyone else sick. got an award from school one time for "perfect attendance"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

heard COVID is back is that right?

it’s not over?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s not over?

there's another sequel to Omicron

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s not over?

it's a somehow deadlier mcrib

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i did a search for "celebrities with long covid" and

alyssa milano
lena dunham
chris cuomo
charles windsor

just a big ol' pile of NOT HELPING :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

i did a search for "celebrities with long covid" and

alyssa milano
lena dunham
chris cuomo
charles windsor

just a big ol' pile of NOT HELPING :negative:

only affecting Italians???

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
oh and gwyneth paltrow of course :negative:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tzen posted:

i am reminded of the doc that took the last few vaccines from a vial and got fired over it in early 2021

as of sept 21' he's suing them

that’s the one I was thinking of, thanks and good for him

everything’s coming up goku :unsmith:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

only affecting Italians???

Oh no, COVID is racist! :ohdear:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s not over?

omicron is the boss at the end of a video game who has three forms

mags
May 30, 2008

rating the Goop vagina candle 1 star because it has no scent

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
[screaming intensifies]

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Soap Scum posted:

A lot of people simply don't talk about it because illness is a moral failing and learning from a mistake you made is weakness

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mdemone posted:

that quote just got me to read the book so that's cool

in fairness that quote is from the Legge translation of the Dao De Ching. That said Ursula Le Guin loving rules and you should 100% read her stuff, though from a lefty standpoint The Dispossessed is the most thoughtful (Tombs of Atuan might still be my overall favorite).

not_superiority posted:

this fuckin sucks

show up to work sick to look like a crazy hard worker, use sick days when you're perfectly well and just don't wanna go

mags
May 30, 2008

Joementum posted:

[screaming intensifies]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRUpDETpwUs

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

somehow...... covid returned.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Too Many Birds posted:

somehow...... covid returned.

The dead cough!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Hate bringing this up again, but now that it's getting closer is it going to be safe to have windows open this spring? We've had them open the past two summers and had a window fan blowing in - I never felt thrilled about this but accepted it, but now with the significantly increased transmissibility I'm getting worried.

I'm on the 2nd floor of a residential apartment complex (neighbors above, below, and on each side) and the bedroom window opens up towards the parking lot. Historically we've been able to smell people smoking across the parking lot or as they're walking back inside.

To me it feels like assuming it's fine is cope, but I know my wife is going to draw a line at "sweat box / no fresh air" unless there's actual evidence for this being a route of transmission.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
unless there's a sauna exhaust vent directly outside your window it's fine

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Friend testing positive after an event and then immediately talking about how excited they are for the next thing and I just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ why care when you can do nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a07nz0jRCpE

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

secure *click*

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Joementum posted:

[screaming intensifies]

Without a list of comorbidities how am I supposed to figure out how this is his fault?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hate bringing this up again, but now that it's getting closer is it going to be safe to have windows open this spring? We've had them open the past two summers and had a window fan blowing in - I never felt thrilled about this but accepted it, but now with the significantly increased transmissibility I'm getting worried.

I'm on the 2nd floor of a residential apartment complex (neighbors above, below, and on each side) and the bedroom window opens up towards the parking lot. Historically we've been able to smell people smoking across the parking lot or as they're walking back inside.

To me it feels like assuming it's fine is cope, but I know my wife is going to draw a line at "sweat box / no fresh air" unless there's actual evidence for this being a route of transmission.

if you wanna do something to make yourself feel better about the air quality in your apartment, build a Corsi cube!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Salt Fish posted:

Without a list of comorbidities how am I supposed to figure out how this is his fault?

It's Piers Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Some cigarette smoke aerosols can even penetrate an n95 enough to be able to smell it (partially because they're the exact size that lofts well and is at the filtration minimum for n95s around 3 microns and partially because the sense of smell is very sensitive to smoke and people can pick this out at extremely low concentrations), I wouldn't use that as a proxy for respiratory droplets.

I wouldn't worry about having the windows open. You're more likely to have dangerous aerosol concentrations leaking in through poorly sealed walls, ceilings, or doors than the outside.

I would worry (at least enough to check) about accidentally setting up a draft that draws air into your apartment from neighbors' units or common areas. You can use a barometer app on your phone to see if that's happening.