Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

This is what HOI IV modders are afraid to make

Bonus: Joseph Stilwell really hate Chiang and wanted to replace him and wrote a poem about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stilwell#Recall_from_China

Giving "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell a position requiring tact and diplomacy was probably not George C Marshall's best personnel decision. Then again, Marshall didn't want to send Stilwell to China nor did Stilwell want to go. Marshall was out of options though when 3-star dolt and buffoon Hugh Aloysius Drum refused the posting (Drum, stupidly and optimistically, thought he was going to get the European command), which would have been the only thing that could have salvaged his career and reputation after having been literally captured by his opponents on day one of a war exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

I'm talking more about what if Chiang was out of the picture earlier on, like he is accidentally killed in the Xi'an Incident and someone like Li or Wang Jingwei (or more likely, Zhang Xueliang or Yang Hucheng) could've succeeded him, but I guess that could have changed the war entirely and it's impossible to say how the KMT would have emerged afterwards. All four figures I just mentioned had more favorable views of the communists than CKS did, very low bar I know, and both Li and Wang were involved in anti-Chiang uprisings in that time period (it was before the latter turned hanjian).

And yeah I guess Feng was a pretty marginal character by the time of WWII.

That's the thing. There are any number of people with left leanings who may have become, or at times were, in KMT leadership. The name and legacy of the KMT as of the end of the Pacific War may have followed them into reconciliation in some other history--the existence to this day of the the RCCK as the PRC's second party is an attempt to claim that the name and legacy did follow them. But if those had, the main difference IMO is that the assorted compradors, ideological anticommunists, pro-Westerners, and so on who did accept exile under American protection on Taiwan would have done so with a new name for themselves, quite likely an RCCK-style competing claim if the split was late, rather than personal loyalty to the KMT hierarchy leading them to reconciliation as well; it's those class and ideological interests which matter and which are irreconcilable, not the label.

I guess you could make an argument for CCK personally not ending up in the same place if his father had left the picture, but it's not like he'd have been a historically significant individual as one of hundreds of CPC apparatchiks following the industrial-development roadmap rather than as a crown prince in all but name.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm sure china will not want to investigate a foreign made plane being responsible for the death of 133 of its citizens

https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1505937512220475397

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

china is far more likely to hold executives and the company to account that the us just based on the amount of state power they have.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maximo Roboto posted:

This is what HOI IV modders are afraid to make

Bonus: Joseph Stilwell really hate Chiang and wanted to replace him and wrote a poem about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stilwell#Recall_from_China

lmfao holy poo poo
code:
I know I've still to suffer,
And run a weary race,
But oh! the blessed pleasure!
I've wrecked the Peanut's face.
:discourse:

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Fly Molo posted:

lmfao holy poo poo
code:
I know I've still to suffer,
And run a weary race,
But oh! the blessed pleasure!
I've wrecked the Peanut's face.
:discourse:

quote:

Chiang called Roosevelt's letter the "greatest humiliation I have been subjected to in my life" and stated that it was "all too obvious that the United States intends to intervene in China's internal affairs."

Lol no poo poo, dumbass lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm sure china will not want to investigate a foreign made plane being responsible for the death of 133 of its citizens

It's tough for Americans to understand. The last time a major airplane crash happened over 3000 people died and the investigation was killed pretty quickly

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

I want to say it was just last year the Western press was giving Vucic grief for accepting a big developmental loan from China and he just kinda threw his hands up and was like, "what am I supposed to do, the IMF is impossible to work with"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Some Guy TT posted:

i have a question about modern japanese cultural history how does the stereotype of salarymen overworking themselves to death get started

as far as i can tell everyone says it starts in the sixties but the only contemporary reference to this i can find seems to be in communist comic books of all things and even as late as 1987 the average workweek is only 46 hours which is a lot but not exactly i only get to see my kids for one hour a week levels of extreme

i know that death by overwork is a real thing im just trying to figure out how much of it has been consistent over the years to the point you can really call it quintessentially japanese and how much of it is racistly generalizing completely different eras and sections of modern japans economy

i keep up with it very little since it's such a depressing topic so enjoy some decades out of date old man talking but it was up and coming when I was in college and a lot of people described it as starting to have really nasty effects in the 90s, after the buffer from the bubble had faded completely, and having another major burst of "now everyone's working longer again" in 2008 when that recession slammed everyone

I think the view of it tracing back before the 90s is a lot of how loudly Japan trumpeted their western work ethic and yadda yadda yadda during the time, but through the 70s and 80s a lot of the reason that working people were kept insane hours were more because of the society-wide office culture stuff which eventually just metastasized into working for more and more hours. People were "working" a bit less during the time before, but in a more 80s sense of business being more than just the brutal labor money making part, which is now all there really is.

That was just as of like 2010 though so I honestly doubt anything's gotten better in any way at all

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

China Eastern, the country’s largest domestic carrier, said it was grounding all Boeing 737-800 aircraft while an investigation is carried out. Shares in the U.S. aerospace giant were down Monday, with memories still fresh of the 737 Max disasters of 2018 and 2019, which exposed major problems at Boeing and saw aircraft grounded across the world as executives were dragged before Congress.

How many of these loving things are going to crash before airlines stop using the drat plane?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Endman posted:

How many of these loving things are going to crash before airlines stop using the drat plane?

There's a group of actuaries calculating that right now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Endman posted:

it’s not one of the really bad ones

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A Bakers Cousin posted:

There's a group of actuaries calculating that right now

Did they leave those scenes in the Chinese cut of Fight Club?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you could go back in time and kill one person with the goal of if not fully averting WWII then at least mitigating its worst aspects (Holocaust, Hiroshima etc) who are you picking? I don’t think killing baby Hitler changes the timeline enough if very much at all. basically no single person after 1912 would get the job done imo. I think you would have to kill, like, Bismarck before 1850

let’s say you can only go as far back as Waterloo

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Your mom

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

please don’t joke about my fat ugly mom.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Not my fault she didn't stop hitler, I'm trying to help

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

if you could go back in time and kill one person with the goal of if not fully averting WWII then at least mitigating its worst aspects (Holocaust, Hiroshima etc) who are you picking? I don’t think killing baby Hitler changes the timeline enough if very much at all. basically no single person after 1912 would get the job done imo. I think you would have to kill, like, Bismarck before 1850

whos the rear end in a top hat that got henry wallace out of the vp slot i want to kill him

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBH I think you're wrong and without Hitler there's a significant chance the Nazis don't get as far as they do. They were a minority party that had a pretty good chance of failing like a lot of other rightwing nationalist parties at the time and being outcompeted by the well organized, popular Communist Party. Having a cult of personality helped a lot to get them over the finish line.

But if you can't kill Hitler then you should kill Friedrich Ebert or one of the other SPD succs who betrayed the revolution and killed Rosa.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xi and Putin are on the path to ruin

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
kill Napoleon, let’s see how far the French Revolution can really go

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Waterloo cutoff!! also I doubt they’d have gotten much further than they did anyway and European powers would have probably intervened to restore the Bourbons before 1805

Mantis42 posted:

TBH I think you're wrong and without Hitler there's a significant chance the Nazis don't get as far as they do. They were a minority party that had a pretty good chance of failing like a lot of other rightwing nationalist parties at the time and being outcompeted by the well organized, popular Communist Party. Having a cult of personality helped a lot to get them over the finish line.

maybe. part of me just doesn’t buy that he was as insanely entrancing as people think, and that the legend of his personal cult got used as cover for why the Nazis were so popular. I mean he looks like such a low-T dork in every video

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

maybe. part of me just doesn’t buy that he was as insanely entrancing as people think, and that the legend of his personal cult got used as cover for why the Nazis were so popular. I mean he looks like such a low-T dork in every video

you’d think this, but the average German citizen wanted to gently caress Hitler so bad.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

you’d think this, but the average German citizen wanted to gently caress Hitler so bad.

ah, he was the zelensky of the 1930s

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah uh the thing that Hitler's "charisma" accomplished the most is getting the bourgeoisie to bank roll his anti communist bulwark.

Edit: Hitler wouldn't have even gotten anywhere without the support of the Bavarian upper classes..

Edit2: I guess he did a bit of an entriesm with the Thule society?

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Mar 22, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's not about charisma so much as him being the locus of power that a lot of the organization of the early party revolved around.

e: There's a reason why the Nazis won over the German bourgeoisie and some of the similar groups did not.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

award winning author orson scott card already wrote a book about this and he picked christopher columbus

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i had a philosophy professor who just loved impersonating a "charismatic" hitler for some reason

ein REICH ein BLUT

hitler looks over-animated, probably from the speed and he wasn't well received by the people who could get word out without fear of reprisal

https://altcensored.com/watch?v=o97SL_pTSzI

i give him 3 out of 4 trumps

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the thing with Hitler is that Germany was very likely to get a revanchist anticommunist military government at some point past at least the mid 20s or so but maybe they'd be a little less enthusiastic about wholesale genocide instead of just normal horrific wars

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fart simpson posted:

at least they died quick i guess. never seen a plane crash like that

lol you think they died quickly? you haven't watched enough airline disaster vids smdh.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

award winning author orson scott card already wrote a book about this and he picked christopher columbus

the pages long description of the dude jabbing bones through his penis and how much it was gonna hurt when the anesthetic cream wore off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

the pages long description of the dude jabbing bones through his penis and how much it was gonna hurt when the anesthetic cream wore off

you’ve read it too?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

It's not about charisma so much as him being the locus of power that a lot of the organization of the early party revolved around.

e: There's a reason why the Nazis won over the German bourgeoisie and some of the similar groups did not.

yeah but they were undoubtedly going to back some virulently anti-communist party, and the gaggle of fascists would have still landed on antisemitism. it’s not like without Hitler they weren’t going to unite against the communists

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

They're on spotify and they pretty much seem like someone trying to copy Sabaton, or do straight covers of Sabaton in russian.

Edit: For example, apparently they have a song about Khalkhin Gol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiRmPlFnmw
this is pretty good. they're doing sabaton while being better than sabaton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_7s5hx_0E

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

indigi posted:

is there an aviation thread anywhere on SA and have they explained what could cause this

pilot suicide or elevator/stabilizer lock (hardware or software). planes don't like to drop in straight lines

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Mar 22, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

you’ve read it too?

yeah it was incredible. an interesting premise - turns out the timeline has already been changed to avert some disaster, and they didn’t do it right!! - that’s just explored in the most juvenile, shallow way imaginable. I specifically remember he had the Muslim dude who blows up Columbus’ ships yell “I spit on your Christ!” in English

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if its boeings fault they should win an award for being able to make a plane unrecoverable from 30k. mindblowing lol

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Is there literally any response in the west when a plane crashes that isn't just "what a terrible tragedy" and nothing else? Nobody ever complains that the NTSB and FAA always conduct closed investigations? Smdh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

yeah it was incredible. an interesting premise - turns out the timeline has already been changed to avert some disaster, and they didn’t do it right!! - that’s just explored in the most juvenile, shallow way imaginable. I specifically remember he had the Muslim dude who blows up Columbus’ ships yell “I spit on your Christ!” in English

wouldnt be genre fiction otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is pretty good. they're doing sabaton while being better than sabaton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_7s5hx_0E

I think they might even be named after Sabaton, because their name can be translated to something like "Radio Slipper"

Could be just a funny coincidence too.