Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Bit of an odd request, but what are some good single-player games with satisfying tank explosions/physics? Can be any genre, FPS or tank sims or strategy, whatever.

with "satisfying tank explosions" I mean the kind where the angle of impact, which part of the tank you hit, etc. is taken into account rather than just having the tank turn into a black husk with a generic explosion on top as soon as its HP reaches zero.

Examples of games I'm thinking about are war thunder (but that's multiplayer and I'm kind of tired of it), sprocket, and the Men of War games.

Can be any era (world wars, cold war, contemporary, etc.)

Not exactly what you're after, but the Mechwarrior games are very big on location damage and dealing with exterior armor, internal structure and component damage. M4 Mercenaries is really good with it, showing accurate battle damage in high detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Bit of an odd request, but what are some good single-player games with satisfying tank explosions/physics? Can be any genre, FPS or tank sims or strategy, whatever.

with "satisfying tank explosions" I mean the kind where the angle of impact, which part of the tank you hit, etc. is taken into account rather than just having the tank turn into a black husk with a generic explosion on top as soon as its HP reaches zero.

Examples of games I'm thinking about are war thunder (but that's multiplayer and I'm kind of tired of it), sprocket, and the Men of War games.

Sniper Elite is v arcadey but definitely lets you target specific parts and shut down tanks by hitting the right spots

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Arma 3

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Leal posted:

Is there a term for games where you play multiple characters and progress carries over to new characters? Kinda like Loop Hero, or how Heat Signature will unlock buyables as your liberate more outposts, or kinda like how Tangledeep will keep planted trees and animals between characters? Or even how Darkest Dungeon has a city that levels up.

Looking for some recommendations for this kind of game.

in addition to what everyone has said about roguelike vs roguelite, another term for what you're looking for is "run-based", but that doesn't always necessarily include metaprogression. It's a genre packed with an absurd amount of good games so there's a lot to list, here's a list that's based only on my steam library and only games I've played since July 2021:

Mindustry is the Factorio/factory building version of this, you carry over (some) resources and (all) technology between 'runs'

Loop Odyssey is a game that has a fairly unique take on being run-based - runs are incredibly short and you don't actually play them yourself, you use an in-game programming language (UI-driven) to program your runs, and several types of progress carry over between runs.

Synthetik is the gold standard Action Roguelite but its progression systems kinda suck
Synthetik 2 is good well on its way to becoming phenomenal, but isn't quite as good as Synthetik 1 yet because 2 is still in the fairly early stages of EA

Time Break Chronicles is exactly the type of game you're looking for but in the trappings of JRPG combat

Heroes of Hammerwatch is another fun diablo-esque action roguelite

Siralim Ultimate is not a run-based game or roguelite BUT it's incredibly good and has a lot of the same DNA, you progress through an infinite number of randomly generated floors, can switch to new teams (or impose in-game and well-rewarded challenges on yourself to mix up your team comp), etc.

DemonCrawl is a Minesweeper roguelite that the Roguelikes thread has divisive opinions on, it includes a lot of luck-based mechanics and has some kinda weird design decisions, but it's a minesweeper roguelite :shrug: It has a fairly beefy metaprogression system but I didn't play it for long so I can't comment on that

Luck Be A Landlord is bizarre and unique Slot Machine roguelite that has been surprisingly fun and has some minor metaprogression

Poker Quest is a roguelite poker-based card game, with light deck-building and unlocking of new classes and stuff between runs

SNKRX is a very interesting and fun Snake-based roguelite for a few bucks on Steam, the Roguelikes thread is very positive on it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 18, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dead Cells and Hades are excellent games in this sub genre as well

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

The Combat Mission games model penetration, armour angle, line of sight etc. in ridiculous detail. They're criminally overpriced, and a bit ugly, but good fun. Especially the earlier ones (CMBO, CMBB and CMAK), where you can set up a skirmish and pick a crazy OoB for it on a randomly generated map.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can anyone recommend a mobile tower defense game that isn’t a f2p hellscape game? Just something I can chill and do some tower defense without being bombarded with ads or energy timers.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Mordiceius posted:

Can anyone recommend a mobile tower defense game that isn’t a f2p hellscape game? Just something I can chill and do some tower defense without being bombarded with ads or energy timers.

I like Robo Defense, its very wide open and $3 to boot.
It also has a free version.
Probably not as fun as Bloons, but decent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicwach.rdefense&hl=en&gl=US

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mordiceius posted:

Kingdom Rush is good. It's not ftp, noting that there may be a demo, I don't remember.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Mordiceius posted:

Dungeon Warfare

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Rogue Tower is a recent one with a roguelike aspect. X-Morph Defense is a bit more involved, the kind where you also control a craft which can attack and place down various defense installations

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ceyton posted:

Dungeon Warfare

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'd like an Earth Defense Force style game with much heavier focus on Mechs if such a thing exists.

I've played Daemon X Machina, but the weapons in that feel like popguns and enemy density is too low

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vadun posted:

I'd like an Earth Defense Force style game with much heavier focus on Mechs if such a thing exists.

I've played Daemon X Machina, but the weapons in that feel like popguns and enemy density is too low

The Riftbreaker...maybe

Mecha Knights: Nightmare might be closer to what you're after

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 20, 2022

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Hwurmp posted:

Mecha Knights: Nightmare

Yeah this looks spot on, thanks

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vadun posted:

Yeah this looks spot on, thanks

Be warned, the game sucks. By the 3rd missions you've seen the entire game. Standing still and unloading until you have to step back a bit and keep shooting is the entire game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Infinitode 2 maybe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think there's many games of this type so I probably already played them all but I might as well ask.

I really like the idea of games where you infiltrate a procedurally generated complex full of security systems.
I've already played the poo poo out of Heat Signature, Void Bastards, Cryptark and, I guess, Warframe.
Heat Signature and Cryptark in particular are loving phenomenal. I wish that either had a sequel.
Anything I missed?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think there's many games of this type so I probably already played them all but I might as well ask.

I really like the idea of games where you infiltrate a procedurally generated complex full of security systems.
I've already played the poo poo out of Heat Signature, Void Bastards, Cryptark and, I guess, Warframe.
Heat Signature and Cryptark in particular are loving phenomenal. I wish that either had a sequel.
Anything I missed?

Well they aren't action at all but maybe the hacking-sim kinda games like Nite Team 4 etc as something sort of adjacent

Or Monaco

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Jack Trades posted:

Anything I missed?

I haven't played it, but Invisible Inc sounds like exactly what you're looking for

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Anything I missed?

Counterspy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Unreal_One posted:

I haven't played it, but Invisible Inc sounds like exactly what you're looking for

This. Also worth taking a look at its inspiration, Shadow Watch: https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_watch

A really solid tactical sneaky game, and the art still holds up well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Unreal_One posted:

Invisible Inc. is dope.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Anything I missed?

I've only just started playing it, but Cogmind seems to be pretty much this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

An Actual Princess posted:

hungry for a lonely game. i want a game with as close to zero other characters as possible. spooky games sometimes fall into this and spooky is okay but it's not what i'm specifically after. ideally, i want to explore a place where people used to be and now they aren't. some games that have scratched this itch:

-- myst, all of them. plus several myst knockoffs like QUERN.
-- gone home and tacoma fit this too
-- the witness would fit this but i didn't like the gameplay
-- firewatch was almost there but had way too much dialogue
-- there's a lil indie game called Anemoiapolis that's basically liminal spaces: the game and i've never found a game that scratches this itch more.

anyway if anyone has any suggestions i will appreciate them. thanks and G*d bless.
Duskers maybe

Jack Trades posted:

Anything I missed?
Also Duskers maybe.
Neon Chrome

Leal posted:

Is there a term for games where you play multiple characters and progress carries over to new characters? Kinda like Loop Hero, or how Heat Signature will unlock buyables as your liberate more outposts, or kinda like how Tangledeep will keep planted trees and animals between characters? Or even how Darkest Dungeon has a city that levels up.

Looking for some recommendations for this kind of game.
Neon Chrome

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 21, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jack Trades posted:

Anything I missed?

The Swindle! Probably the closest structurally to what you’ve described that I can think of. Platformer style thing where you try to perform a series of heists in randomized levels with security guards, cameras etc and use the proceeds to get more gear to do more heists, all in service of some greater goal (I think paying off a debt? It’s been a minute). It definitely has the overall structure of something like Heat Signature or Cryptark. The moment to moment gameplay and overall loop is not as good (especially the freedom of Heat Signature in how you approach missions), but I remember it being a solid little game.

You’ve presumably played it and it’s better co-op, but Monaco (and Monaco 2 once it comes out). Gunpoint, also by Tom Francis, is good but not procedural. The Deus Ex randomizer is a semi comedy option.

It could turn out to be terrible, but maybe worth keeping the Grand Heist on your radar when it eventually comes out. Strategy game.

(Also I love that Tom Francis turned out to be someone who could move from video game criticism to actually just making incredible games! You might enjoy this blog post: https://www.pentadact.com/2021-07-30-void-bastards-vs-heat-signature-a-completely-objective-analysis/)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations.

I really enjoy Tom Francis' games, Gunpoint was also loving amazing, and I liked what I played of Tactical Breach Wizards but Heat Signature was just incredible and I really wish something could scratch that itch again. At this point I've done like 5 playthroughs of it and I'm struggling to come up with any interesting challenges to do in it.
I'd kill someone for a sequel to it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah Heat Signature whips immense rear end

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah Heat Signature whips immense rear end

It's a wonderful clusterfuck game. You have a plan, and you either execute it to perfection and feel like a badass, or poo poo goes sideways and you improvise what you can, sometimes succeeding anyway and still feeling like a badass. Or you fail spectacularly and it's your own stupid fault.

I appreciate stealth/infiltration games where loving up leads to interesting gameplay, versus ones where being spotted means the fun part is over and you may as well just reload.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The best part of heat signature is while the game points you to stealth you can totally ignore it and blaze through with a full auto shotgun, personal shield, and grenade launcher. Turn the ships into warzones and bring them back to sell for sweet cash.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I use carefully placed explosives to crack the ship open like a coconut crab and separate the rooms with objectives from the rest of the ship then I can get to it without any trouble.

Now that's stealth.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hijack a small ship and blow your target away with ship to ship weapons! Or blow a hole in a ship to make your own entrance!

I think I once described it as "you're playing hotline Miami against people that are playing FTL"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any chill/relaxing game that focuses on gardening/growing flowers/plants?

Already played SDV/Rune Factory and all those types. Looking for less of the social/RPG stuff and more just plants and gardening and management.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think I once described it as "you're playing hotline Miami against people that are playing FTL"

Perfection.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Any chill/relaxing game that focuses on gardening/growing flowers/plants?

Already played SDV/Rune Factory and all those types. Looking for less of the social/RPG stuff and more just plants and gardening and management.

Cloud Gardens

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

hungry for a lonely game. i want a game with as close to zero other characters as possible. spooky games sometimes fall into this and spooky is okay but it's not what i'm specifically after. ideally, i want to explore a place where people used to be and now they aren't. some games that have scratched this itch:

-- there's a lil indie game called Anemoiapolis that's basically liminal spaces: the game and i've never found a game that scratches this itch more.

anyway if anyone has any suggestions i will appreciate them. thanks and G*d bless.

From what I've heard Sable sounds like a really good fit. Haven't played it and don't know a whole ton about it myself, other than it fits the vibe.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Cloud Gardens

This is perfect, ty

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MrXmas posted:

From what I've heard Sable sounds like a really good fit. Haven't played it and don't know a whole ton about it myself, other than it fits the vibe.

Sable has other characters in it, although you can go long stretches on your own

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Infinitode 2 maybe.

I revisited this to make sure and I must have been thinking about the first game or a much earlier version of this one. It is now riddled with buttons to watch adds and pay MTX. You don't ever need to see an ad, but progression is something like 25% faster and it's impossible not to see those buttons.

Total shame, it was a favorite. Sorry Mordiceius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

gotta do Outer Wilds if you have not yet.

it is absolutely about exploring a place where people used to be but now they aren't