Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

euphronius posted:

poo poo has been out for a month so we need spoilers anymore.

I formally petition for lax spoiler rules.

I ain't finished it. It's a long game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

So I'm fighting the baleful shadow and easily the worst thing this game does is put in enemies that can read your inputs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao oh no, we're monsters

(again)

Oh, yeah

Oops

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

So I'm fighting the baleful shadow and easily the worst thing this game does is put in enemies that can read your inputs.

I poo poo a LOT of rot on that rear end in a top hat

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

So I know you can get all bosses on one playthrough, and with reloads/saves all endings. What about all armaments/talismans/whatevers for the other cheevos? Is that doable in one if you don't gently caress up any npc quests (which I did but still)?

I know one of the legendary weapons (Bolt of Gransax) becomes unobtainable after you burn the tree so you need to think ahead for that one

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

Game is like 100+ hours.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I find it both funny and cheap you have these enemies auto-dodging projectiles. That said I lamed out one of those weebo lions by shooting just to the side so it'd dodge into the arrow.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

These heroes graves are some of the least fun gameplay I’ve ever experienced

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nopants posted:

they dont know that stars are actually all astels, fellbeasts, and other monstrosities

I don't think that's necessarily true. The stars are just stars. But beings like Astel do fall to the planet and are interpreted as "falling stars." But the Greater Will came to the Lands Between in the same way--Leyndell is built in what is probably the Elden Beast's landing crater. The Scarlet Rot is also associated with an outer god--it came from space, too. Most of the magical stuff in Elden Ring is eldritch star stuff, even the stuff that looks all golden and holy.

Ranni's ending and goal are pretty vague but if you get all of her "miniature Ranni doll" dialogue she tells you about her plans to keep the the things out in the stars at bay. She's clearly aware of what's out there and doesn't want to invite it in.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It was fine in Sekiro since the movement and pacing feels built for it, but this game does have a of lot punishing poo poo in the movesets and the AI.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

buddy you think that's bad let me tell you who was extremely chagrinned at 3:23 am eastern standard time realizing they had really hosed up (spoilers for boss pictures and names)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Godfrey was such a badass in his prime, how teh fock did they chase this guy away?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

buddy you think that's bad let me tell you who was extremely chagrinned at 3:23 am eastern standard time realizing they had really hosed up (spoilers for boss pictures and names)

gently caress lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

euphronius posted:

Some of us have jobs

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, there's a sweet spot between people trying to pubstomp new/unprepared players and people who don't know the shortcuts and starts just now getting their hands on the superweapons and megaspells, and 50-70/80 seems to be it.

I recommend the Carian Manor for level 50 btw. If you can get a group trying to blitz past the hand garden in the beginning you can absolutely gently caress their run up lol

What're good weapon reinforcement ranges for those level ranges anyways, +6/2 for caria and 12/4 or 14/5 for 80 stuff maybe?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm using +6/+2 for my level 50 and will probably go +12/+4 on my 80. I am basing this solely off of what level stones drop in the areas I want to pvp and what level of stones you can buy infinitely with bell-bearings that point in the game.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 22, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm dual-wielding the Ice Rapier+Antspur Rapier so everything I freeze gets Scarlet Rot. It's super handy vs bosses and tanky foes like the sewer Ogres.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I didn't fully get why a late-game quest went wrong until I re-read this description:

Rebirth works for you cause you end up with the great Rune that perfects it. Boc suffers the memory loss. Though, I don't fully understand why he becomes vegetative when all the weird academy children can manage to at least be total creepazoids.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Is there ever any info on what Rennala's egg actually is? Some item description says it was given to her by Radagon, but what is its deal, and why did it have a great rune?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm using +6/+2 for my level 50 and will probably go +12/+4 on my 80. I am basing this solely off of what level stones drop in the areas I want to pvp and what level of stones you can buy infinitely with bell-bearings that point in the game.

The game hands out +8 like candy prior to l50 for most

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not done this game and I'm already playing it to a point where it's negatively impacting my relationship. 25 hours a week since release could well not bring you to the end, and that is, as mentioned, a relationship impacting amount of time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

So I didn't fully get why a late-game quest went wrong until I re-read this description:

Rebirth works for you cause you end up with the great Rune that perfects it. Boc suffers the memory loss. Though, I don't fully understand why he becomes vegetative when all the weird academy children can manage to at least be total creepazoids.

I think it's because Boc's change was so dramatic, and he was already mentally in a pretty bad spot.

Even more reason to tell him he's beautiful so he doesn't change.

Babe Magnet posted:

I think people are generally going +17/+7 for level 80. I know I've seen at least one streamer doing that and he gets tons of invasions in Leyndell and Mr. Gelmir.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Trash Trick posted:

The game hands out +8 like candy prior to l50 for most

The free weapons? Yeah that part is annoying, but +6 should still put me in range of anyone who picked one of those up and didn't upgrade them/upgrade a weapon past them.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
Dragon Lord Placidusax has to be the coolest boss in any Fromsoft games, and that's a high bar. I actually jumped out of my chair and cheered when I won with one hit left and no heals.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harrow posted:

I think it's because Boc's change was so dramatic, and he was already mentally in a pretty bad spot.

I think people are generally going +17/+7 for level 80. I know I've seen at least one streamer doing that and he gets tons of invasions in Leyndell and Mr. Gelmir.

I was one of the fastest to get bloody/recusant finger as soon as the game dropped and was trying to stay as low as possible while still taking out bosses for upgrades. I inadvertently got handed the +8 weapon super low (around level 20) and it didn't put the slightest dent in my ability to invade the starter areas even at a time when there shouldn't have been overlevelled people in those areas.

I can't say for certain but I strongly suspect this title is a lot more generous with invasion level range than prior titles. I know for a fact there is pretty big weapon scaling for pvp to some extent- I had a level 3 friend red summon me with password/soapstone while I was at 50 with my +8/+6 and when I swung on him I'd only take out about a 10th of his HP, and he could still take big chunks out of me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think we watch the same guy, I forgot he was +17/+7. I'll do that, then.

Trash Trick posted:

I was one of the fastest to get bloody/recusant finger as soon as the game dropped and was trying to stay as low as possible while still taking out bosses for upgrades. I inadvertently got handed the +8 weapon super low (around level 20) and it didn't put the slightest dent in my ability to invade the starter areas even at a time when there shouldn't have been overlevelled people in those areas.

I can't say for certain but I strongly suspect this title is a lot more generous with invasion level range than prior titles. I know for a fact there is pretty big weapon scaling for pvp to some extent- I had a level 3 friend red summon me with password/soapstone while I was at 50 with my +8/+6 and when I swung on him I'd only take out about a 10th of his HP, and he could still take big chunks out of me.

do keep in mind you might have been doing a lot of invading against people who also got that free stuff lol

I really hope you're right though, that it's more generous, because I hate the fact that it exists at all, and it's so arbitrary too. Like, the game gives a poo poo about your weapons to the point where it permanently remembers your highest one (another thing I really hope is gone but people testing it seems to imply that it's still in) but it doesn't care how strong your flasks are???

Also password summoning of any kind applies scaling to those you summon. At least, I know it does with yellow phantoms. Invasion PvP/Random red phantom summoning is different and just lets you go hog wild.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

euphronius posted:

What new wizardry is this
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1502660803517943811?s=20&t=S7clLRGdbXXlScoftRx38g

@ :42

Also that's pretty much* how my fights against those dudes go :smuggo:

*the exact opposite of

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Babe Magnet posted:

I think we watch the same guy, I forgot he was +17/+7. I'll do that, then.

do keep in mind you might have been doing a lot of invading against people who also got that free stuff lol

I really hope you're right though, that it's more generous, because I hate the fact that it exists at all, and it's so arbitrary too. Like, the game gives a poo poo about your weapons to the point where it permanently remembers your highest one (another thing I really hope is gone but people testing it seems to imply that it's still in) but it doesn't care how strong your flasks are???

Also password summoning of any kind applies scaling to those you summon. At least, I know it does with yellow phantoms. Invasion PvP/Random red phantom summoning is different and just lets you go hog wild.
Weapon level and character level are by far the most relevant and fair stats to measure in the game, it's not really arbitrary to determine PvP matchmaking off of it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a kitten posted:

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1502660803517943811?s=20&t=S7clLRGdbXXlScoftRx38g

*the exact opposite of
it's funny because that duck is sunhi activating the mist raven weapon art (do a teleport dodge if you get hit during the animation) which potentially means they were actually expecting to get hit during the dash and use the teleport to do something else cool and cinematic but then the crucible knight just whiffs completely

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do we know of besides night cavalry that are night time exclusive?

Also, finally found Ainsel. I had a peek down into LoR, but I seem to have exhausted all routes.

I was complaining about not having enough sacred tears, finally opened my eyes and found 3 more churches on the map. 14 +10 now

codo27 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 22, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a kitten posted:

*the exact opposite of

That’s incredible

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

codo27 posted:

Death birds, bell bearing hunters.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Also the legally distinct death rite bird.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

But where is the Dayman in these trying times

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No Wave posted:

Weapon level and character level are by far the most relevant and fair stats to measure in the game, it's not really arbitrary to determine PvP matchmaking off of it.

yeah I get that, and some sort of balancing is good, I'm just mostly frustrated that the part of it that bakes your highest leveled equipment into your save file and you can't stash it (where it's effectively unusable anyway) to refactor your placement is super annoying. Well, that plus the game never actually tells you about any of this at all as far as I can tell, and there's no real way to test any of it besides using community hear-say or cheat engine to brute-force scenarios. That sucks too lol.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are we even completely sure that Somber Smithing Stone and Smithing Stone upgrade levels are considered separately, and that a +10 somber smithing stone weapon isn't considered equal to a +10 smithing stone weapon for matchmaking purposes?

There's precedent for them being considered equivalent with the weapon upgrade station in the church next to the start - it can upgrade both somber and regular weapons to a max of +3

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

codo27 posted:

deathbirds/deathrite birds. and bell-bearing hunters. I think that's it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are we even completely sure that Somber Smithing Stone and Smithing Stone upgrade levels are considered separately, and that a +10 somber smithing stone weapon isn't considered equal to a +10 smithing stone weapon for matchmaking purposes?

There's precedent for them being considered equivalent with the weapon upgrade station in the church next to the start - it can upgrade both somber and regular weapons to a max of +3

This would be a very stupid way to handle it, but to be fair that doesn't mean it's not true lol. There's little anyone is completely sure of, as far as PvP is concerned. There's things the community is almost definitely mostly sure about, like that weapon levels matter at all, but a lot of it is basing data off of Dark Souls 3 and trial-and-error personal testing.

My line of thinking is almost entirely based on "Okay, smithing stone miner bell bearing 1 lets you get to +6. Somber stone miner bell bearing 1 lets you get to +2. They must be equivalent in the dev's mind, right? Right???"

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 22, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah I get that, and some sort of balancing is good, I'm just mostly frustrated that the part of it that bakes your highest leveled equipment into your save file and you can't stash it (where it's effectively unusable anyway) to refactor your placement is super annoying. Well, that plus the game never actually tells you about any of this at all as far as I can tell, and there's no real way to test any of it besides using community hear-say or cheat engine to brute-force scenarios. That sucks too lol.
I mean you're not really supposed to minmax it like this. You're supposed to just invade with your strongest build. I get that players inevitably do which is why we have this 3v1 invasion ruleset. But there are reasons to keep the rules secret when you're trying to keep twink characters away from normal players.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

But where is the Dayman in these trying times

Boys Souls is line of the better soulslikes

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Can I still get to Lake of Rot if ranni is dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

it's funny because that duck is sunhi activating the mist raven weapon art (do a teleport dodge if you get hit during the animation) which potentially means they were actually expecting to get hit during the dash and use the teleport to do something else cool and cinematic but then the crucible knight just whiffs completely

crucible knight is a worthy successor to pursuer where they go from "drat this is hard, how the gently caress do i beat this guy" to being something you meme parry or trick into gliding off a ledge on every new playthrough

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Can I still get to Lake of Rot if ranni is dead?

yup. deeproot has a waterfall coffin that'll spit you out just north of where she teleports you underground