Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A WIP, wanted to show off the layering of the tasset reds

Thought it looked pretty good

I was trying to add something to the gun to make it dirty or something so it wasn't so flat and realized I can (messily) edge highlight with a drybrush technique

:stonk:

Like, I'll come back in and do the highlights where it should be but I like this

edit: I am sure as gently caress excited about that Vallejo Metal Color that is coming in.....whenever? from Fantization because I'm already tired of how grainy this GW metal is

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: I am sure as gently caress excited about that Vallejo Metal Color that is coming in.....whenever? from Fantization because I'm already tired of how grainy this GW metal is

If you got Vallejo Metal Color Gold, a really nice yellow-y gold is 50:50 Retributor Armor/VMC Gold

if u use this paint recipe on 5 models your crush will kiss u!!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

If you got Vallejo Metal Color Gold, a really nice yellow-y gold is 50:50 Retributor Armor/VMC Gold

if u use this paint recipe on 5 models your crush will kiss u!!!

Unfortunately I only bought 1 bottle of Duraluminium cause it was an expensive :10bux:

I'll consider that though because I already have like 3 bottles of redistributor armor

edit: what color should I add to Duraluminium to give it a blue tint like this:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 18, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think you should be able to get it with a very gentle layer of Liquitex Acrylic Ink Prussian Blue since it's a transparent colour. It might be easier to get there with Cerulean Blue but it's an Opaque colour so it might kill the metallic effect but I'm not sure.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Space Wolves Grey contrast is my first thought. Payne's Grey ink might do it too, although it might end up too dark. Ulthuan Grey or VMC Wolf Grey might do the trick, but I think an ink or contrast paint works best with metallics.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm converting a bunch of eldar into harlequins since the troupe box is so expensive, anyone got a good idea of how to make the trailing ribbons they have?
Like the one between this guys legs

I figure I could probably do it with greenstuff but it'd be fiddly and I wonder if there's a better way

The foil cap things on wine bottles work great for this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thanks for the tips everyone, parchment paper and an hour cure turned out to be the silver bullet i needed to make the greenstuff workable.
i like the idea of all the foil stuff too

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Still working on my Captain, however I put the final touches of black highlights on Yarrick

Edit: Dammit, forgot his teeth :doh:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 18, 2022

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Still working on my Captain, however I put the final touches of black highlights on Yarrick

That skeleton is giving the gun a good boning

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm converting a bunch of eldar into harlequins since the troupe box is so expensive, anyone got a good idea of how to make the trailing ribbons they have?
Like the one between this guys legs

I figure I could probably do it with greenstuff but it'd be fiddly and I wonder if there's a better way

I just learned the other day that GSW makes a roll of pewter hobby foil that you can cut with scissors and make stuff like ribbons and banners with.

https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/formable-metals-foil/352-flexible-metal-foil.html?search_query=foil&results=39

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Unfortunately I only bought 1 bottle of Duraluminium cause it was an expensive :10bux:

I'll consider that though because I already have like 3 bottles of redistributor armor

Grey knights steel has a blue tint.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Last couple of weeks I was painting more Warhammer Underworlds;
Hedkrakkas Madmob. These guys were fun. Played about with varying mixes of Plaguebearer flesh and Ork Flesh contrast paints for their skin.

Myaris Purifiers. Sometimes when painting you learn new things. What I learned about halfway through painting these guys is that I loving hate painting GW high elves. I hate the leader standing on one leg like hes in Jethro loving Tull, I hate that stupidly impractical 3 stringed bow, and I particularly hate that one guys dumb loving hat. How does he get through doors? I wanted the metal to look... I dunno, slightly strange, so I figured a blue oil wash might do that for me. I'm not super experienced with coloured oil washes and while it did end up looking strange, I'm not convinced its good-strange. Ah well, the beauty of mainly painting small warbands is that I now never have to paint another high elf, its not like I have an army of them waiting.

Then after a brief break, it was back to Malifaux,

Two Mourners. I'm not going to pretend these were any particular effort; Gray and Black contrast paints, an off white for the hands, a quick wash and an ivory drybrush. Effective enough though, and nothing wrong with an easy win.

A proxy for a Mindless Zombie. This guy was chucked in with a mixed lot of Malifaux figures on ebay, turns out hes actually a mantic zombie but whatever. Clipped him at the waist and hes now rising from the grave.

A Changeling and a Doppelganger. Most people paint the doppelganger like shes holding a white sheet in front of her for modesty, but I'm pretty confident its supposed to be the skin shes in the middle of shifting in to/out of.

And a Grave Golem. Animated from the very ground of a cemetery, the main concern when painting him is to try and prevent him looking like the Golgothan from Dogma. e.g. when you paint the slightly drippy big guy brown he looks like an animated pile of poo poo. Add a wash, he now looks like wet poo poo. Drybrush he now looks like dry poo poo. So I gave up and just applied some tactical flock/tufts to try and make him read more like a shambling mound than an ambulatory poo.

I'm happy enough with the end result, but cant really understand why they went the "earth with some masonry" route rather than "golem composed of statues, fences and gravestones with some dirt filling in gaps" route.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Didn't want to pay ebay scalpers or buy that new kit so made my own infernal master.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blood for the blood god is so much fun to use. What are peoples favorite technical paints out there?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Blood for the blood god is so much fun to use. What are peoples favorite technical paints out there?

I have been enjoying Typhus Corrosion and Woodland Scenic's static water. I can lay down the corrosion on top of a bit of Astro granite debris and add just a touch of water effect to get a muddy oil slick or generic industrial fluid effect. It goes well with bases that have a lot of dead necron parts.

I also really like Nurgles rot for my swamp bases for my death guard army. Nurgles rot can be bulked out easily with the water effect for bigger goo piles.

My favorite is the snow, because I love snow. So I never use it because I use too much of it. But it is my favorite. Someday I will find the right theme for it.

Just picked up mordant earth to make a lava style base for a bunch of dwarf things I don't care about that came in the idoneth vs dwarf AoS box. Excited to try that out.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 20, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Didn't want to pay ebay scalpers or buy that new kit so made my own infernal master.

I like it!

Both the miniature and not paying eBay scalpers

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Tesseract Glow has become my default go-to for anything magical. Glowing eyes, magical fire, whatever, and my first attempt at OSL was basically an accident because I sloshed it on too liberally and it stained the surrounding paint.

Hexwraith flame is what I used for that before they released Tesseract Glow, and it still sees use for ghostly figures or anything magic I dont want to have NEON YELLOW, plus it blends okay with Tesseract Glow if I want a green jet of magic with yellow-green flames or whatever.

Nihilakh Oxide does double duty, sometimes its ghostly, sometimes its weathering/corrosion on anything copper/brass, and I paint a lot of things brass.

Outside of GW I am wholly in love with "Dirty Down Rust" and "Dirty Down Moss" for doing... Well, rust and moss respectively. They each do one job but they do it really really well. I usually use the rust on its own but I have teamed it with Typhus Corrosion when something is supposed to be like... 10% steel, 90% rust and tetanus. The moss gets slapped on any base details I want to appear covered with moss or algae. Can feather the edges of either of them really easily and/or stipple it lightly on around the main area to get a nice gradient too.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Vallejo has a Special Effects set which includes wet and dried blood, which both look great, vomit that I use for toxic slime on my Nurgle mans, wet and dry rust that look spectacular when applied together and verdigris that I also use on my nurgle units over all the copper bits. Other than the palid white (which seems to just be white) all the colors in the set have been useful to me.

Does GW still make the gemstone colors? I use the red and blue for lenses and eyes on weird creatures all the time.

I use Vallejo scenic effects black lava for texturing bases and terrain but I have yet to find a better(ie cheaper) alternative to GW crackle texture paints.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hell yeah, DMG minis makes a really cool Aztec inspired one too

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Does GW still make the gemstone colors? I use the red and blue for lenses and eyes on weird creatures all the time.

Spiritstone Red and Soulstone Blue are still being sold yes. As well as Waystone Green.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've lacked the motivation to paint for a while, so I decided over the weekend to print a couple things and just slap paint on them.

The result is one bonsai tree with a little gold birb

And a dragonborn channeling the spirit of all computer janitors

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished up this Captain/ Chapter Master last night:

Thanks again GigaFuzz for the suggestion. I decided not to move too high up with the Turquoise higlights and I made him with a magnetized wrist so I can swap out weapons. I'm doing up a Combi Melta now and plan on making a bunch of them that I can use with the Sternguard Vets I have planned for my next project!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks everyone for the comments on technical paints. They are really cool and I can’t wait to try some of the recommendations people gave me. Blood for the blood god is great at enhancing paint jobs that may have been a little questionable.

Also what do you use when doing a transfer to flatten it out, people mentioned using a special type of application, but I don’t know what it is and where to buy it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks everyone for the comments on technical paints. They are really cool and I can’t wait to try some of the recommendations people gave me. Blood for the blood god is great at enhancing paint jobs that may have been a little questionable.

Also what do you use when doing a transfer to flatten it out, people mentioned using a special type of application, but I don’t know what it is and where to buy it.

SHILL ALERT this is my video but instead of typing out the process... here, https://youtu.be/1UzHFpsx-tg
From 13:36 - 15:30

Just a way I've been using fabritac and some other things to bulk up bftbg and make it look like guts/entrails and smeared gore.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Look up Microset and Microsol from Microscale Industries. Get both. Use Microset to apply your decal transfers, use Microsol to make decal transfers conform to non-flat surfaces.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I was able to pick up a combined set of micro sol and micro set for relatively cheap on Amazon. I think the set is enough to last a lifetime. It works pretty well.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
A lifetime, or up to the third time you knock over the bottles.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

grassy gnoll posted:

A lifetime, or up to the third time you knock over the bottles.

Or pack them up to move and they open in transit.

I found the best paint stripper during my last major move, it's a combination of Microsol, Tamiya thin, flow improver, and airbrush thinner. I'm not sure about the ratio but you gotta throw it all into a plastic bin with a few random minis and then agitate in the back of a moving van for 1200 miles. Minis come out super clean but I can't say the same for anything else in the bin.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When it’s late at night, you have a space marine that you can do tests on for paints and stuff, and you’re being obsessive with retributor armor and blood for the blood god.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
I have been toying with idea of painting GW Nighthaunts with Blood for the god as kind of blood ghosts. Now I finally caved in with huge purchase of second hand Nighthaunts.

I'm still bit torn if this is too gimmicky, but stupid ideas are meant to be done :)
Gotta also work on the white there it looks chalky as drat.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Chunkystyle posted:

I have been toying with idea of painting GW Nighthaunts with Blood for the god as kind of blood ghosts. Now I finally caved in with huge purchase of second hand Nighthaunts.

I'm still bit torn if this is too gimmicky, but stupid ideas are meant to be done :)

I like the idea. Since you're going for a wet blood look, maybe some dripping down the staff and sword?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you really like retribution armor I think the AoS space marine variants have that for their main color.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Having some real bad clogging issues on my dropper bottles. Is this due to me storing them upside down?

Considering rebuilding my racks to store them normally because this has just been insane to deal with...

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 21, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Having some real bad clogging issues on my dropper bottles. Is this due to me storing them upside down?

Considering rebuilding my racks to store them normally because this has just been insane to deal with...

Nope, pretty sure this happens with all dropper bottles that have acrylic paint in them no matter how you store them. I keep a pokey paper clip nearby to clear out clogged nozzles.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you really like retribution armor I think the AoS space marine variants have that for their main color.

I think I will have to be getting that set.

It’s just a really nice color in the way it accents things and gets it to stand out.

Chunkystyle posted:

I like the idea, I mean most of my painting ideas are gimmicky as hell fwiw. :)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

AndyElusive posted:

Nope, pretty sure this happens with all dropper bottles that have acrylic paint in them no matter how you store them. I keep a pokey paper clip nearby to clear out clogged nozzles.
Is what I'm seeing just the pigment settling? Id think that with mixer balls and my vortex mixer id be able to avoid most of it.

Would the heavy pigment be settling into the dropper portion of the bottles when theyre upside down?

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I always liked the old Crab Power Claw the best. Looks snippy!

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011

Realized I really like ork vehicles while planning out my army list. So here are my first attempts at a couple, trying out airbrushing for the yellow basecoat. Deffkopta still a work in progress.
I've also got to grab some of that Microset/Microsol stuff and give transfers a go. My hands are way to shaky for freehand and I would love more checker/badmoon details.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm still a relative airbrush noob. I had my first clog (?) today where air was coming out, but none of the primer was. I stripped the brush down and tossed it in my ultrasonic cleaner for a few cycles with a dash of airbrush cleaner and hot water. No clue if that's the ideal cleaning solution, but it looks like it worked.

That said, I could use some advice on priming. I'm currently using Vallejo primers (gloss black right now because I'm using VMC Chrome as my basecoat) and I have no idea how much I'm supposed to thin them, if at all. I've watched a few videos and the consensus is that there is no consensus. One painter was using it straight from the bottle, another said to use airbrush thinner, and another said to avoid thinner and use flow improver. I've tried a few experiments myself but between getting clogs and spotty coverage, I think I'm doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I am also playing with an airbrush seriously for the first time and would love a good nub guide