Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Does the TWSBI Eco's body screw into the feed like the TWSBI 580 does?
I have sheared off the threaded ends of two 580 feeds with my INCREDIBLE STRENGTH and while I like my 580 I worry about breaking another feed, I thought I was being gentle the second time. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

PlushCow posted:

Does the TWSBI Eco's body screw into the feed like the TWSBI 580 does?

The feed and nib part on an eco is pushed in and pulled out, no screwing.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Keetron posted:

The feed and nib part on an eco is pushed in and pulled out, no screwing.

Thanks!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I got a new job and celebrated with some crippling fountain pen purchases!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How's the Naginata Togi? I've been strongly considering picking one up for a while now.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

The Naginata Togi is probably my favorite pen purchase in my collection so far. I really like the looks of the "Special Nib" band compared to the normal 1911L and the nib really is something else. Lots of line variation depending on how you hold it, incredibly smooth, and is a real joy to write with:

Regular writing angle is close to a double broad, vertical is close to a fine, maybe an extra-fine.

Another aspect of it that I really enjoy is that there is a bit more metal behind the section and the barrel has a metal sleeve that goes partway down it's length. It adds a little heft to the pen which makes it feel a bit more substantial in the hand compared to a regular 1911L. The pen is still perfectly balanced though, and I think the extra metal was added to balance the heftier cap band when posted.

The nib also gets it's own unique stamping which I really can't get enough of the looks of. Incredibly simple, but so classy:

You can only order these at a physical retailer, so you'll have the opportunity to try a test pen out before you buy. I got a broad but they also come in Medium-Fine and Medium, so there might be a little more line variation than in my writing sample above depending on which size you like. I ordered mine from the Anderson Pens Chicago location and was quoted a two week production time as the nibs are hand made to order, but it came early and I picked up the pen within a week. Side note: Lisa Anderson is also a supreme pleasure to talk to and incredibly helpful in answering all of my questions, so if you happen to be reading this Lisa you're really the best!

Writing with this one is really making me want a Naginata Emperor now, even though I was told there's a six-month wait list for those... :eek:

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 21, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Chip McFuck posted:

I got a new job and celebrated with some crippling fountain pen purchases!

wait, this is like 1500 in pens? Did you burn your signing bonus on pens? (good choice!)

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Keetron posted:

wait, this is like 1500 in pens? Did you burn your signing bonus on pens? (good choice!)

It's right there in the name, I think...

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

every time i get an advert for the burgundy E95s i stop and stare for like a whole 10 seconds. guess that's what i'll be getting when i start my new job in the summer! anyone got Opinions on that one?

also, i had to use a free shipping code before it expired (just had to!) and i got a Jinhao x750 and a random ink sample set. so far, Monteverde Keylime Pie is pretty but watery, and Noodler's Legal Blue is like a less pretty Troublemaker Simoun that smells weird. super excited for the Diamine Cocoa Shimmer and specially Enchanted Ocean. gorgeous ink, even while just being swished in a bottle

the Jinhao is super nice for a pen with a (at the time) $5 price tag. kind of a pain to clean, compared to my Pilot and TWSBI

Ramie fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 22, 2022

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

catgirlgenius posted:

every time i get an advert for the burgundy E95s i stop and stare for like a whole 10 seconds. guess that's what i'll be getting when i start my new job in the summer! anyone got Opinions on that one?

I have the E95s in black and absolutely love the design & form factor. if there is a more convenient and elegant pocket fountain pen design, outside of the vintage myu models which are like $700+, i simply do not believe it.

FWIW the nib is pretty soft and springy for a standard 14k. I write weird, with lots of firm slashing upstrokes, and the e95 nib struggles more on those than some of my other 14ks from platinum, etc. Still love it though.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

oh right! i forgot to mention, but i'm particularly interested in the variance between nibs. what nib you got? i'm leaning towards Extra Fine since i haven't tried that end of things yet, but i can see an argument for each option. it also seems like a "you can't go wrong" kind of choice

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
My E95s is a fine tip, and it’s…fine. I usually go for mediums, but read somewhere to order a size down. It doesn’t bug me with feedback like most fines, so it’s ok. It needed to be stored tip down for a few hours before it would write properly instead of really faintly (black would be gray, dark blue pastel blue). It started me down the rabbit hole of similar vintage pens that it was inspired by.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
lol, my F was too fat and smooth for me and I ended up getting it ground down. felt like the sizing was up about a half step from what I expected of a japanese F, but it was my first gold nibbed Pilot.

for comparison i'm extremely happy with my Pilot VP EF & platinum 3776 F, which write about the same fineness.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a Korean cheapo version of the E95 that's made of plastic instead of metal. Quite fine.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Keetron posted:

Pretty much, though it hurt to order so many pens at once :sweatdrop:. I work in graphic design and made so little that I had to save a long time to buy pens and ink, not to mention no raises in over four years so my actual income technically went down each year due to inflation. Now I'm going to be making double what I did at my last job for the same amount of work. So glad I got out of publishing!

catgirlgenius posted:

I have that exact pen in a medium! Really smooth writer, though it writes more of a western medium than a Japanese medium. My wife likes to call it the "fingernail pen" because she thinks the nib and section look like a fingernail :3:. The pen is too small to take the CON-70, so I syringe fill an empty cartridge instead and get a pretty similar ink capacity. Don't bother with the CON-40, though. The way the pen is made, the 40 sits really deep in the body so it's really hard to tell how much ink is in it.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

I have the E95s in black and absolutely love the design & form factor. if there is a more convenient and elegant pocket fountain pen design, outside of the vintage myu models which are like $700+, i simply do not believe it.

There are the vintage Elites which the E95s was based on, which you can get all day every day for under $100 easily. Sailor and Platinum had contemporaneous competitors you might like too.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Dad Hominem posted:

There are the vintage Elites which the E95s was based on, which you can get all day every day for under $100 easily. Sailor and Platinum had contemporaneous competitors you might like too.

oh no I love it :kimchi:

edit: oh poo poo this seller actually has a myu

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 24, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That's a good price for a Myu.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

umm That's cheap enough to just buy right? I mean I'm not gunna steal right from your poor choice ebay list but that's a cool pen

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
There is no shortage of vintage Japanese pocket pens on eBay.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

grack posted:

There is no shortage of vintage Japanese pocket pens on eBay.

No kidding. If anyone would prefer to buy in the US, I know that Anderson Pens has a bunch that they restore: https://andersonpens.com/vintage-pens/?sort=priceasc&page=1. Prices will be about double what you'd get on eBay, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a red stripe Murex I might be willing to part with. It's too small for my hands. It doesn't have the sticker on it anymore if you give a poo poo about that

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

umm That's cheap enough to just buy right? I mean I'm not gunna steal right from your poor choice ebay list but that's a cool pen

despite the thread title I absolutely do not need another pen, so if you love it too please purchase & enjoy this springtime delight

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heath posted:

I have a red stripe Murex I might be willing to part with. It's too small for my hands. It doesn't have the sticker on it anymore if you give a poo poo about that

Here are some photos:

Posted:

With a ballpoint for comparison

It's an extremely fine writer, almost too much. I honestly think it needs a little tuning. I bought it as new old stock, so I'm the only one who has owned it.

Edit: writing sample

This is a dipped sample as compared to that of an exceptionally thin ballpoint

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 24, 2022

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Heath posted:

Here are some photos:

Posted:

With a ballpoint for comparison

It's an extremely fine writer, almost too much. I honestly think it needs a little tuning. I bought it as new old stock, so I'm the only one who has owned it.

Edit: writing sample

This is a dipped sample as compared to that of an exceptionally thin ballpoint

Dammit, that's a beautiful pen. I'm not buying right now, and it's probably way too small for me, but it's such a great design.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Right, I wish they'd make a new one that's slightly bigger.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

despite the thread title I absolutely do not need another pen, so if you love it too please purchase & enjoy this springtime delight

I'm pretty sure you need another pen more than I do.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

I'm pretty sure you need another pen more than I do.

someone else on the internet beat us to the punch so it's moot! god willing, they love having little painted tulips in their pocket even more than the both of us combined

also: no I don't!! just bought two more PenBBS models the other day because I'm a sucker. one of them is a gift for a fountain pen-curious friend, but still

PSA: don't get their new magnet-filler. I forget the model name. it's a cute gimmick but the piston sticks if it stays in one position for too long and the magnet in the cap isn't strong enough to get it moving again.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Heath posted:

Posted:

that's sleek. how possible is it to tune a steel unibody nib like that? that might not be the right word but hopefully you get what I mean. normally I would hook into the shoulders of the nib w/ my thumbnails and gently pull them apart to get more ink flow, but with this being all one piece like that I don't think that would work.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Does Baystate Blue really destroy and irreparably clog pens? I'm thinking of getting a bottle for a pilot metropolitan and I don't care if it stains it (and everything else in my house) forever, so long as it'll keep writing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mercury Hat posted:

Does Baystate Blue really destroy and irreparably clog pens? I'm thinking of getting a bottle for a pilot metropolitan and I don't care if it stains it (and everything else in my house) forever, so long as it'll keep writing.

I have it in a pilot metropolitan for a few months now and I haven't ever had it clog. And it's still writing just fine.

Goulet has a video on how to clean a baystate blue stain (use bleach)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqQGGq0Rqr4

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2022

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A metro is a great pen to use BSB in imo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The only reason to worry about staining the pen itself is if you plan to use a demonstrator. It comes up because people generally like to put their prettiest inks in clear pens. Otherwise no one is going to see the inside of it except you.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
BSB will stain (even stained my stainless steel kitchen sink rinsing my pen out, haha) but I’ve not encountered any other problems with it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Thanks for the input, sounds like I won't have any issues I don't expect. I've used Noodler's inks before so stains are no surprise.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

would anyone mind telling me why people use Noodler's when basically everything about it is so... you know. between the smell and the staining and the Volcker Green controversy i'm not clear on what is worthwhile about them

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Noodler's is cheap and the sheer variety of colors and properties means that there's a lot to explore and get nerdy over. Bad Belted Kingfisher is my go-to utility ink because it's well behaved, reliable, professional and resistant to smearing. But I've also gotten plenty of duds from him (American Aristocracy is the worst ink I've ever used, hands-down, and Goulet's marketing spin on it shipping out and randomly being wildly different colors as though it were some kind of lottery ink was total horseshit.)

Some Noodler's inks are amazing, some are baffling, and some are garbage. That's part of the charm, as weird as it is. This is a weird hobby.

As for his politics, I could really give a poo poo about his weird libertarianism or his opinions on the Fed. He's a crank making fountain pen ink in his garage, not like, Nestlé or whatever. He's not affecting actual change anywhere except Gary Johnson's 2016 campaign fund or whatever the gently caress. He makes a product I use and he should be paid for his work.

I do regret not having picked up a bottle of Berning Red when it was around, that poo poo ruled

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

catgirlgenius posted:

would anyone mind telling me why people use Noodler's when basically everything about it is so... you know. between the smell and the staining and the Volcker Green controversy i'm not clear on what is worthwhile about them

idk about the volcker green controversy, mildly scared to google that on my work wifi, but in general: noodlers inks are cheap, abundant, and diverse. and until pretty recently I think the perception of wacky libertarians like tardif was that they were just harmless weirdos. nowadays of course if i hear someone openly speaking libertarian viewpoints, I imagine their unspoken white nationalism is likely to be the least of their sins.

it's also worth remembering that, at least in the US, fp inks were a pretty boring and limited game until recently (recently meaning like 2005-2010 I wanna say). until noodlers came around, independent ink makers weren't really a thing. if you wanted ink for your pen you bought it from one of the eight or ten major pen manufacturers and it either cost comparative $$$ (montblanc, lamy) or it was boring (parker, sheaffer, waterman), and that was about it.

edit: air corps blue-black and zhivago are both super good dry-writing not-quite black inks with a lot of character. the basic green is pretty but feathers like mad. the basic blue is bright and great and much more flexible and usable than BSB. brown or walnut mixed with shah's rose in a 1:2 ratio is my go-to favorite.

double edit:

Heath posted:

I do regret not having picked up a bottle of Berning Red when it was around, that poo poo ruled

extremely same :911:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 25, 2022

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

catgirlgenius posted:

A lot of water resistant options is my reason. For instance, I like Sailor’s Sei and Sou Boku inks but that’s just a couple blue blacks.

I agree with the Bad Belted Kingfisher it’s a great dark blue black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I was drawn to the inks because the "bulletproof" ones are so permanent, come in a few more interesting colors, and I'm buying for utility and not for sheen or anything (this'll only be my fifth? bottle of ink over the course of several years). I knew about his whole libertarian vibe, but never looked too deep into what he's been putting out since I first picked up some inks.

idk about the volcker green controversy, mildly scared to google that on my work wifi
I don't keep up with fountain pen communities much beyond this thread and hadn't heard about the Volcker Green label until just now. Quote pulled from a Reddit thread:

quote:

Nathan made an ink with a label with Volcker, Bernanke, and Greenspan, all former Federal Reserve Chairs, and it was an ink about how he thought Volcker was the best. He put a halo over Volcker’s head (a Christian) and horns on the other two (both Jewish) which is like a super antisemetic stereotype.
Then issued a half-assed apology when it was pointed out to him and that didn't know the latter two were Jewish which is... bad! It's bad.

There's sure to be other ink makers that hit the targets for what I want in the future.