Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

pile of brown posted:

I think its the first time we see ax use human sarcasm, yes?

With him agreeing he loves humanity because of the cinnamon buns? I don't think he's being sarcastic there. I think he's just lying to her because he doesn't want to or feel able to explain to her how he's come to respect and care for humanity and his human friends. He knows she'll never understand that he can consider a non-Andalite worthy of respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

freebooter posted:

Really strong book, would have fit in just fine as a non-ghostwritten one.

Honestly, even despite that string of a few bad ones in a row we just went through, I still feel like the ghostwritten books might be slightly better on average than the Applegrant ones; at least the ones so far. The original authors certainly didn't maintain a perfect track record themselves.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Epicurius posted:

With him agreeing he loves humanity because of the cinnamon buns? I don't think he's being sarcastic there. I think he's just lying to her because he doesn't want to or feel able to explain to her how he's come to respect and care for humanity and his human friends. He knows she'll never understand that he can consider a non-Andalite worthy of respect.

I can see that reading too but Marco being the next to speak implies to.me he was learning from Marco

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I think this is one of the better books in general definitely. I like the bigger space/weird alien books, but they are usually not as grounded as other animorphs books. This one had a ragtag alien crew, but also the crushing emotions you come to expect in an animorphs book.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Hidden

This is ghostwritten by Laura Battyanyi-Wiess, who we've met before.

Chapter 1

quote:

My name is Cassie.

And you wouldn’t know it to look at me but I’m in the middle of a violent war to save Earth from an alien, parasitic species called the Yeerks.

Well, most of the time I am. Right now I was kneeling in the barn, waiting for an injured mouse’s curiosity to get the better of him. And when it did, when he crept out from beneath the cage he’d scurried under, I was going to scoop him up and take a look at his crooked, back leg.

I guess that’s just me. It’s who I am. I don’t like seeing an animal in pain if there’s something I can do about it. And I usually am doing something about it, because my parents are vets and I guess you could say I’m following in their footsteps.

Except that in one way, I’m already way ahead of them.

I’m an Animorph. An animal morpher.

My friends and I were given the ability to acquire the DNA of other creatures and morph them. This power is the only real weapon we have in our fight to save humanity.

But it’s more than that. For me, at least.

Every time I morph an animal, I experience the world as that animal does, sensing it, sharing its instincts. That’s knowledge my parents will never have. And I’m not sure not having it is such a bad thing.

I mean, it’s one thing knowing that a humpback whale can weigh thirty tons but it’s a whole other story to actually weigh that much. To cruise the ocean with the certainty that you actually are that animal. The only way to really understand is to become that creature, and they can’t teach that in vet
school.

But this isn’t just about becoming an animal. It isn’t just about the morphing. See, we use our morphs to fight this war. To divert and battle the Yeerks. That’s why Jake, our leader, doesn’t like us using the morphs for our own purposes. I can’t say I never have - there’s nothing like frolicking as a sleek playful dolphin, and being a horse has certainly come in handy on occasion - but I like Jake a lot - okay, maybe I feel even stronger than “like” - and what he says makes sense, so I try not to do anything that would put us at risk.

But the risk isn’t the worst of it. This is a war and people die. And using this power to destroy others is hard to get used to. But as much as I hate inflicting pain and sometimes death on the other Yeerk-infested species, I can’t just sit back and allow their evil to consume us, the human race, too.

The Yeerks are like a disease, except they spread with malice and intent. A Yeerk will squirm into your ear canal, flatten out its blind, deaf, sluglike body, and weave into the crannies of your brain. Tap into your thoughts. See through your eyes, speak with your voice. You are a hostage, trapped inside yourself. Screaming for help but no one can hear you.

We call people infested by Yeerks Controllers, and there are more of them every day. Like I said, the Yeerks have taken over other species, too, and they’re using some of them to wage this poisonous war on Earth.

We, the Animorphs, are the only active resistance. Me. My best friend Rachel. Jake. His friend Marco. Tobias, who stayed in his red-tailed hawk morph longer than the two-hour limit and now lives as a bird of prey. A nothlit, as Ax would say.

Ax is an aristh, an Andalite warrior-cadet, and it was his brother Elfangor who gave us the blue morphing cube before Visser Three murdered him, so that we could continue the battle.

That’s pretty much it on our side. Well, unless you count the Chee, a nonviolent race of androids, who help us by spying on the Yeerks and infiltrating their cover organization called The Sharing. But when it comes right down to it, we’re the only ones out there aggressively defending our species.

So you can see why I need to work with wounded animals. To help heal them. And in some way, I think they help heal me, too.

Movement.

A tiny, twitching nose poked out from under the cage.

The barn turned Wildlife Rehab Clinic was quiet today. We had only three patients and all were on the mend.

Their snuffling and scrabblings were familiar sounds.

But the distant, low-level drone thrumming through the air wasn’t. A chainsaw?

The buzzing grew louder. Sharper. Closer.

A low-flying plane?

The mouse zipped out. Stopped. Nose twitching.

THWOK! THWOK! THWOK!

The drone was deafening now. The mouse tensed.

My hand flashed out and scooped it up.

“Nobody’s going to hurt you,” I said, but my voice was lost in the thundering noise. Something deep in the pit of my stomach stirred uneasily.

It didn’t sound like a plane, it sounded like a …

I stuck my head out of the open barn doors in time to see a helicopter pass and continue out over the woods.

The droning faded.

I shrugged and turned to put the mouse in a cage and nearly ran into Erek who was standing behind me. Erek is one of the Chee.

“Whoa!” I said, startled. “I didn’t see you come in.”

Erek nodded. “Good. You weren’t supposed to. And neither were the Controllers in the helicopter. We have a major problem, Cassie.”,

“Uh, I’m the only one here right now,” I said, realizing I was still holding the mouse. I gently put it in an empty cage and then waited to hear the rest of Erek’s news.

“I’ll notify the others, but we have to move on this. The Yeerks have managed to repair the Helmacron ship and they’ve reactivated the sensors that locate morphing energy.”

Oh, great. The Helmacrons. Again.

The Helmacrons are an exceptionally tiny, exceptionally annoying species with delusions of grandeur and egos the size of Montana. Unfortunately, they also have very advanced technology.

Erek continued, “The Yeerks are tracking morphing energy.”

“But I haven’t morphed -”

The blue box. The Escafil Device. It was hidden here in the barn.

“The ship’s sensors aren’t operating at full potential but the Yeerks have managed to hone in on a weak signal from somewhere in this area. That would be the energy from the morphing cube.” Erek’s voice was muted as the helicopter did another flyby. “They’re making another pass. If we don’t get
that cube out of here -”

“I’ll get it,” I said, heading to the darkest section of the barn. I’d hidden the cube where it wouldn’t be found by anyone who happened to be stumbling around, but I hadn’t counted on the Yeerks being able to repair something so minuscule as the Helmacrons’ damaged and abandoned ship.

“But what good will it do to move the cube, Erek? Won’t the Yeerks just target it again?”

“Yes. That’s why you and the others have to keep it moving until the Helmacron ship can be destroyed,” Erek said as the helicopter’s shadow passed over us, blotting out the sunlight streaming in through the doors. “If that cube falls into Yeerk hands …”

“Don’t even say it,” I said, tucking the cube into the waistband of my jeans and pulling my dad’s huge, old, college T-shirt down over it. “Okay, let’s go -”

But Erek had vanished. “Cassie?” my mother said, from the doorway. “I’m off to The Gardens. I have animal transports to oversee and -”

“I’ll go with you!” I blurted, while giving the barn a quick once-over for Erek. Was he that bucket? That bale of hay? The Chee were extremely good with holograms.

The sunlight behind my mother shimmered and for an instant, Erek was Erek again and not a hologram of a brightly lit barn door.

I looked at my mom. “Let’s get going.”

I don't know. I'm thinking this is unusually clever of the Yeerks

Chapter 2

quote:

Have you ever had one of those horrible dreams where something is chasing you and no matter how fast you try to run, you’re not getting anywhere?

Well, that’s exactly how I felt driving to The Gardens with my mother.

The helicopter was buzzing back and forth over the woods. And we were getting nowhere fast because my mother was talking while she was driving, and when she does that, she always takes her foot off the gas pedal. She doesn’t do it on purpose but it’s still nerve-racking.

Speed up. Slow down. Speed up. Slooowwww dooowwwnnnn… .

BEEEEEEEPP!

“What’s wrong with him?” my mother asked, scowling into her rearview mirror at the car behind us; it was crawling right up our butts. “The speed limit’s forty-five on this road.”

“Yeah, but you’re only doing thirty, Mom,” I said, gazing pointedly at the speedometer. C’mon, Mom, hurry!

“Thirty?” my mother asked, pressing the gas pedal. The speedometer needle was on the rise. Sort of. “There. That’s better.”

But it wasn’t better because the car behind us floored it, passed us on a double line, then cut right back in front of us and promptly slowed down.

“What are you doing!” my mother shouted, braking and glaring at the back of the driver’s head.

“Mom, don’t say anything,” I warned, watching as the driver finally sped up.

“But he’s driving erratically,” my mother said, speeding up and then slamming on her brakes as he slowed down again. “What is he doing?!”

“Mom, stop! He can’t hear you!” I said. “Just back off. It’s either road rage or …”

Or a Controller sent to steal the blue box.

I looked up at the sky. The helicopter was the size of a horsefly in the distance. If it had pinpointed us, it wouldn’t send just one Controller for the box. No way. Stealing it would be a major victory for the Yeerks and they’d send an army to do it, not one bald guy in a Ford Taurus.

” … or he’s a complete imbecile?” my mother snapped, but backed off enough for him to pull ahead. “I don’t know what is going on around here today.”

“You mean with all those helicopters?” I asked as casually as I could while keeping an eye on the car in front of us. It was on the move now and was pretty much history. “I thought maybe an animal had escaped from The Gardens or something.”

“No, they would have called me,” my mother said. “And I haven’t heard any news bulletins about any hikers lost in the area, either.” She smiled. “I guess it’s just one of those days, huh?”

“I guess so.”

By the time we pulled into The Gardens, my neck was cramped and my stomach was twisted. One from watching the helicopter, the other from sheer worry. What if Erek hadn’t gotten word to everyone?

What if he had?

Wouldn’t the Helmacron sensors pick up three kids and an Andalite in morph? Of course they would. Tobias would be okay, but was getting us all together really that great an idea?

The frantic fluttering in my stomach got worse.

I left my mother in the employee parking lot and headed into the park. I told her I was going to check out a few of the new animals and then grab a bus back home. I tried to look as normal as I could in my baggy, dirt-stained jeans with a blue morphing cube hidden beneath my T-shirt.

<Another bizarre fashion statement, huh, Cassie?>

Thought-speak. Rachel was here somewhere. Good. Even though I wasn’t in morph and couldn’t answer her, I felt better.

<She calls it cornfield casuals,> Marco smirked. <Bird poop-à-porter. We’re in seagull morph, Cassie, so don’t look up.>

<Erek told us about the Helmacron morphing sensors,> Jake said. <We’re going to have to find a way to disable that ship. You have the blue box, right?>

I nodded slowly, paused by the American buffalo enclosure, and casually looked around - then up.

A red-tailed hawk circled high above me.

Two identical seagulls landed near the buffalo wallow. A third landed on a nearby Dumpster. A fourth strutted past, eyeing up a little girl eating french fries.

That one had to be Ax.

The kid giggled and threw him a fry.

He gobbled it down and screeched for another. And another.

<Hey, Ax-man, want to try and get a grip?> Marco quipped, swooping down and chasing Ax away from the kid.

<The clock’s ticking here,> Jake said quietly but firmly.

I scanned the crowd, following one woman’s gaze into the sky. Another helicopter had joined the first.

I glanced back at the woman, who didn’t look surprised or even curious. Just sort of … eager.

She disappeared into the crowd.

The knot in my stomach was back with a vengeance.

The helicopters were circling closer and it wouldn’t be long before they pinpointed a whole lot of morphing energy in one place.

I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t communicate with anybody -

<Helicopters heading this way,> Tobias called down. <And there’s a couple of guys in suits jogging toward Cassie.>

<Cassie, move,> Jake said tersely.

I stepped backward, away from the buffalo enclosure. Where? I mouthed silently.

<Anywhere! They’re coming through the park, so head back into the employee area or something!> Jake shouted, taking off. <Everybody else, split up! We have to draw the sensors away from Cassie! Tobias, you stick with her since you’re not in morph.>

<Cassie,> Tobias said. <They’re closing in fast.>

And suddenly, I saw one of the guys in the suits.

I didn’t run. I didn’t want to attract attention.

I waited until he turned away.

Then bolted.

So, Cassie has the morphing cube on her and she's got Yeerks trying to track her, in summary.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I guess they couldn't have anticipated this happening but not a good idea in hindsight to just stash it in the barn instead of putting it into the care of the Chee. Have Erek put it down in the Pemalite ship where the Yeerks can never get it, if need be.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

freebooter posted:

I guess they couldn't have anticipated this happening but not a good idea in hindsight to just stash it in the barn instead of putting it into the care of the Chee. Have Erek put it down in the Pemalite ship where the Yeerks can never get it, if need be.

The Chee would probably consider it a weapon and refuse. Erek could have offered to store it instead of telling her to run with it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 3

quote:

<Nice,> Tobias said. <He didn’t see you but the copters are still tracking you and feeding the ground guys info. Keep going.>

I did, my heart pounding in my ears. My all-too-human ears.

I was so helpless as a human. I had brains but no brawn. No claws, no fangs, no wings. Nothing to give me even the slightest advantage over the Yeerk-infested human-Controllers tracking me.

If only I could morph without attracting the sensors.

If only the others could distract the Controllers long enough for me to get away.

If only, if only!

Deal with the realities, Cassie. Keep going.

The alley finally led me to the loading area, where a couple of huge trucks were parked.

<Watch out! There are two guys on the other side of that big black delivery truck, Cassie! They’re looking around, talking into radios. They’re splitting up!> Tobias yelled. <Get out of there!>

Where was I supposed to go? I flattened myself up against a white transport truck, the only thing left between me and them.

And if one of the helicopters buzzed over now, they’d see two Controllers not ten feet away from a terrified, trapped-looking kid plastered up against a truck, with the sharp corner of the morphing cube poking up from beneath her grubby T-shirt.

They would know it was me they were hunting for.

This was it. There was no escape.

No way out!

I couldn’t morph so I couldn’t fight or fly.

I couldn’t drop the cube and run because if the Yeerks got the cube, it would all be over.

My stomach pushed into my throat.

<They’re coming around the truck, Cassie! Wait, there’s a driver getting into the cab. Your mother’s making him sign something. The Controllers are at the back of the truck! If they look around the side ->

He didn’t have to say anymore. I already knew what would happen. They’d see me. Grab me.

My mother would get involved and then it was down to the Yeerk pool for both of us and total annihilation for my friends.

Trying not to hyperventilate, I inched along the truck toward the cab. At that moment, I didn’t know what I was going to do, but I had to get farther away from the back of the truck.

Not that two or three feet would make that much of a difference, but it was all the space I had.

Something jabbed me in the back.

I flinched and glanced behind me.

A door handle.

There was a small, side entry door in the wall of the transport truck’s bed.

“Chopper’s picking up a reading from this area,” one of the men behind the truck said. “If we find the Andalite bandits and the morphing technology, Visser Three will be extremely pleased. If we don’t -”

“Don’t even mention what’ll happen if we don’t,” the other Controller said nervously. “The chopper pilot says the signal’s strong in our radius. Let’s just keep looking.”

Panicking, I yanked on the door.

Nothing.

The truck started up. Idled.

It was going to pull away and leave me here, exposed.

I yanked again. Saw the pin. Pulled it out and pulled the door open, scrambled up into the back of the heavily fenced transport truck, and quietly closed the door behind me. Doubled over, panting, heart racing.

I had made it.

That’s when something very large bellowed very loudly.

I shot up and staggered back against the wall.

There, looming in front of me, with its huge, broad head held low and its massive, curved horns,

stood almost a ton of solid, muscled African Cape buffalo.

Aka the widow-maker.

Cape Buffalo are actually one of the most dangerous of the big African animals, It's said that back when big game hunting was popular, they killed more than any of the other types of big game. They're big, they're strong, and they have really big and sharp horns.

Also, I'll point out another poor leadership example. Like we've seen before, if your subordinates are too scared of you to give you bad news, you don't find out what you need to know.

Chapter 4

quote:

Several things happened at once.

The truck rumbled and jerked to life.

The Cape buffalo stumbled backward, bound by two ropes around its horns and two around its neck. The ropes were knotted into metal loops on the truck’s walls.

The ropes were frayed and flimsy-looking compared to the buffalo’s massive head. But then again, most people wouldn’t have to worry about the ropes because they would never, ever get into a truck with a widow-maker.

“But the reading says the signal’s honed in on this area!” someone shouted from outside.

“Yeah, but it’s also picking up four other readings in four other directions!” someone else said.

“If you ask me, this is some kind of wild-goose chase.”

“Don’t let the visser hear you say that,” the first man said uneasily. “He just pulled up.”

The voices faded as the truck lurched forward, picking up speed.

<You’re headed toward the back exit, Cassie,> Tobias was still around. Faint but around.

Silence. <Uh-oh.>

Uh-oh what? I thought. I held still and watched the Cape buffalo watch me. Not a good feeling. Trust me.

It was hot and waves of the animal’s thick, musky scent were nearly overpowering. Even for me.

But the stench wasn’t anything compared to the pure power in the broad, muscular body and the deadly threat of its massive horns.

The buffalo snorted, blowing a rush of hot, moist air out through its nostrils.

<They’re going to stop you outside the gate, Cassie, at that stretch of road surrounded by woods.> Tobias was starting to sound a little frantic. <Visser Three’s limo is right behind you and there’s a bunch of other cars waiting around the bend.>

The buffalo snorted again. Tossed its head in a threatening, hooking movement, pulling the ropes taut.
The truck began to slow and lean into the bend.

The truck nose-dived, sending almost a ton of buffalo surging right at me. The ropes tightened as a rippling wall of muscle -

SNAP!

One of the ropes broke and pulled apart like a piece of thread.

I whipped left and flattened myself against the wall of the truck as the buffalo skidded forward and sideways, fighting the remaining restraints.

The buffalo bellowed again, thrashing in anger.

WHAP!

Another restraint. Gone.

The last two ropes were around the buffalo’s neck. Somehow I figured they wouldn’t be there for long.

It whipped its head around in a frenzy. The buffalo was going to break loose, and either trample or gore me to death. Impale me on those wicked, gleaming horns.

And then Visser Three would have the morphing cube.

There really was only one way out of this.

I inched sideways, watching the buffalo watch me. It was tense, just seconds from erupting again. I was shaking. I had to get past those horns but I knew it’d never let me get behind it where it couldn’t see me.

The truck braked harder.

The buffalo stumbled forward, past me, to the ends of the remaining ropes. Trembling, I laid my hand on the buffalo’s thick hide, right at its midsection, and began to acquire it.

The buffalo gave one last thrash, then went into a kind of dreamy, semi-trancelike state. It happens to most animals when we acquire their DNA. Most, but not all.

“Hey, what’s with the roadblock?” The shout came from the truck’s cab.

The truck was barely creeping forward now.

In a minute it would be stopped and searched.

Would I have enough time?

I stripped down to my morphing outfit. Jammed my clothes out of sight behind one of the truck’s wide, wooden slats. Laid the blue box on the floor of the truck and focused on the Cape buffalo’s DNA. Crrreeeaaaacccckkkk!

My skull split straight down the center and began to thicken, dragging my head down with the weight and back into my bulging, beefy shoulders.

Sproof! Sproof!

The bones broadened, following the contours of my huge head, shot out, and flipped up into three-foot horns on each sharp, lethal side.

My skin darkened and thickened into a tough, coarse-haired hide.

My body was bloating, stretching and expanding, bulking out further and further, piling on pound after pound of sheer muscle.

My fingers melded together and were sucked back into my hands. Tough hooves banded around the edges like metal plates.

“I’m telling you, don’t open that! I’m hauling African Cape buffalo here, mister, and I don’t think you want to -”

“Never attempt to think for me.” A cold, sinister voice. A voice I had heard before. A voice I would never forget.

Visser Three.

My morphing had stopped when I’d lost concentration.

I refocused. Fast.

Schloop! Schloop!

My ears elongated. Sort of stretched out, drooped, and grew fringed hair.

The latch on the double doors clunked open.

“I’m telling you guys, don’t do this!”

“Shut up and get out of my way!” Visser Three roared.

Sproot.

A tail shot out of my hind end as the double doors swung wide.

“See, I told you -” The driver stopped, his eyes wide with horror. “The restraints broke!” He backed away. “Run!”

“Don’t be a fool,” Visser Three snapped. “I -”

The Cape buffalo gave an explosive snort through its wide, quivering nostrils. And immediately, without warning, my own buffalo instinct kicked in.

Visser Three deserves to be gored here.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Visser Three deserves to be gored every day

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 5

quote:

Fury

No fear.

Fight to defend. Fight the threat.

Protect the herd.

I tossed my head, blew a harsh whoosh of air from my nostril, and surged forward, heart pounding, fueled by rage and adrenaline.

“Run!” the driver shrieked, taking off.

The pitch of his screams hurt my ears and my hair-trigger temper exploded. Hooves clattering, I burst out of the truck like a tornado, slashing and hooking, slamming into cars and trampling Controllers beneath my powerful legs.

More screams. Shouts.

Human-Controllers fleeing in all directions. Dashing between the crooked, haphazardly parked cars. Hiding behind them. Hiding in them.

I saw them through a gray haze of fury, smelled their terror and followed it. No puny car could block my path.

Howls of pain.

I wheeled, broadsiding a human-Controller, sent him spinning.

Attack the threat! Destroy the threat!

Normally I was a calm, peaceful, grazing animal.

Until I was threatened. Provoked.

And then, nothing could stop me.

“Call the cops!” someone yelled. “Call back to The Gardens and get a tranquilizer gun out here!”

“Where’s ‘here’?!” another voice shouted.

“The woods along the highway! Outside the back gate! Hurry!” the guy hollered, crouching on top of his car.

<Cassie?>

The word echoed faintly in my enraged brain.

I ignored it.

I was a pile driver, wrecking anything and everything in my path.

<Cassie, I’m guessing that’s you. Look, you have to get control,> Tobias said frantically.

<They’re calling your mom! She’s bringing a tranquilizer gun! Cassie, where’s the morphing cube?>

Huh? Who cares about some cube? Wait. Hang on. The box. Oh, yeah.

I fought the powerful animal’s fury for a moment. Struggled to subdue its instincts and pull my human self back into consciousness.

“Two! There’s two! Look out!”

I turned and saw the Cape buffalo I’d acquired pounding out of the truck, charging people with its horns and growing more agitated when it missed them.

Then it whirled and stampeded straight for Chapman. The assistant principal of our school. Member of The Sharing. And a high-ranking Controller.

THUD!

Chapman flew through the air and hit the ground with the same dull “whump” a watermelon makes when you drop it.

<Come on, Cassie!> Tobias yelled. <Get the cube and get moving!>

I ran back toward the truck. Stopped. Powered up my short, stocky legs and body-slammed

Visser Three’s limo with everything I had.

CRRRRUUUNNNCCCHHH!

The car alarm went off.

EEEUUUUU! EEEEUUUU! EEEEEUUUU!

The real Cape buffalo was going berserk. Smashing cars. Goring headlights. Bellowing and snorting and roaring with rage.

Panting, I leaped back into the truck, grabbed the blue box in my mouth, and barreled back out

onto the highway.

I saw it all in one second.

Chapman, down and out on the pavement.

Cars wrecked and crumpled, Controllers sitting on top of them, clutching the roofs and looking petrified.

Visser Three, surrounded by a protective wall of frightened Controllers, screaming out enraged orders.

The original Cape buffalo, thundering across a field and into the woods.

I ran. The buffalo’s herd instinct surged and I ran.

Sadly, Visser Three was neither trampled nor gored. That was reserved for Chapman. That Yeerk has the worst job.

Chapter 6

quote:

I crashed through the underbrush, trampling saplings and ripping through sticker bushes without a second thought.

The scent of the real Cape buffalo was thick in my nostrils. I followed it deeper and deeper into the woods until the screams and shouts of the Controllers back at the roadblock were completely lost.

The buffalo’s hearing - my hearing now - absorbed and gauged every sound, checking for any potential threat to my herd.

My depth perception wasn’t so great, but I had a three-hundred-and-sixty-degree, wide-angle range of vision, which was going to make it pretty tough for anyone to sneak up on me.

This was a good thing.

I couldn’t run very fast - nowhere near the speed of my wolf morph - but what the buffalo lacked in miles per hour, it definitely made up for in sheer bulk and muscle. Nobody, and I mean nobody - except maybe a lion - would take me on, and I could still outrun a lion if I had to.

And then there was man. The most infuriating scent, the most unnatural threat.

But the air was clean of man-scent.

The buffalo’s brain, so powerful in its fury, began to shift its concentration in the quiet woods.

Sort of downgraded from an all-out, fight-to-the-death attack mode to a standby alert that noted all sights, scents, and sounds, then dismissed them as nonthreatening.

It was a relief. It allowed me to get a firmer grip on the buffalo’s natural instincts.

<Okay, Cassie, I told Jake you got away and you’re all clear to demorph,> Tobias said, wheeling high in the sky above me. <The helicopters are still back over The Gardens trying to track down the others. Chapman got up but they loaded him into an ambulance. The Controllers are going nuts because they had to call in a whole fleet of tow trucks and Visser Three’s limo’s a total disaster.>

<Yeah, I guess my buffalo buddy and I got a little carried away,> I said, kind of embarrassed.

I found a dense bramble thicket where I could demorph, then, thinking twice, moved on until I was in a small clearing surrounded by a few trees. The thorns and stickers might not have hurt the buffalo’s tough hide but they would’ve ripped my skin to shreds.

<Tobias, has anyone come up with a plan for destroying the Helmacron ship’s sensors yet?>

<No, but we’re going to have to figure out something fast. Definitely before those helicopters decide to change their focus and come after the box again.> Tobias swooped down and landed on a nearby branch.

I opened my mouth and dropped the slippery, spit-covered box on the ground. Then focused on my own DNA and felt the changes begin.

Even though everyone says I have a talent for morphing - and I have to admit I usually can sort of control the process - it still doesn’t follow any real, precise pattern. So I wasn’t surprised when the first thing to go this time was my tail. It drooped slowly and then started to melt like hot wax, then - SCHLOOP!

Was sucked right back up into my body.

Bones began to grind and crunch, reshaping themselves.

My eyes crawled closer together. My ears shriveled and shrank.

SPROOT! SPROOT!

Ten human toes shot out of the crumbling hooves. My bones adjusted and reformed into ankles, then knees, then hips. My massive horns crumpled, deflated, and rolled back up toward the cleft at the center of my head.

<Yuck,> Tobias said, ruffling his feathers and looking the other way. <No offense, Cassie, but that is really gross. I’m glad I haven’t eaten anything in a while.>

I began to say, “I know,” but it came out as, “waaaw waaw.”

“I know,” I repeated, once my jaw finished shrinking. I flexed my fingers, bent down, and picked up the box. “And I know something else, too. We might want to steer clear of the real buffalo if we can. I, uh, don’t think it trusts humans very much.”

<No problem,> Tobias said. <The last time I saw it was way ahead of you and still running.>

“Good,” I said, exhaling. “The Gardens’ll send out a search party and probably a helicopter … “

Oh, that was a nice picture. And just what we didn’t need. My mother buzzing around the sky, searching for a lost Cape buffalo, while we dodged Yeerks in helicopters who were trying to kill us.

Tobias cocked his head. Listening. <Uh-oh.>

“What?”

<Tell you in a minute,> he said. I watched him lift off, make a quick circle. <Helicopter, Cassie. The Yeerks are expanding their search. We’d better get going.>

“Are you sure it’s the Yeerk helicopter, or is it the black one with a big ‘The Gardens’ logo on the side?” I asked.

<Yeerks,> he said tersely.

I took off at a trot, clutching the morphing cube and trying to keep to the soft carpet of pine needles since I was barefoot.

Tobias glided along only a few feet above my head. Every couple of minutes he’d flap hard for altitude, land in a treetop and check out the helicopter’s progress.

<It’s getting closer but it hasn’t pinpointed us yet,> he said, swooping back down and landing on a tree branch a few yards ahead of me. <I -> His head jerked and he fell silent.

“What?” I said, huffing a little as I jogged toward him. “What, Tobias?”

And then I broke into the clearing and I saw for myself.

The Cape buffalo stood there, quivering. Twisting. Its eyes bulging with panic. Its mouth gaping in a silent scream. The scene was pretty bizarre all by itself. But in our world things always had to be slightly more than weird.

See, the Cape buffalo stood there, but instead of a Cape buffalo head and face was our assistant principal’s.

Chapman.

The new Animorphs are four human teens, one Andalite cadet, a hawk, and a Cape Buffalo.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Oh god did the buffalo somehow trigger the morphing cube? And then acquire Chapman while rampaging through him?

What the actual gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

yessssssssssssss i wondered if it was this book!!!!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

CidGregor posted:

What the actual gently caress

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

For a brief moment, I thought Chapman had acquired (lol) the morphing ability, but no, they really are going to be chasing down the world's most confused buffalo.

Oh my god, I love this already.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Okay I am strapped in and HERE for this nonsense, yes please.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Scholastic editor: Listen, I actually got around to reading some of your Animorphs books and you need to tone it down on the body horror, OK? These books are for children, for Christ's sake.
KA (not really paying attention): No sweat. You got it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lmao at Chapman getting owned once again.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How many forklift or exotic animal-related injuries has Chapman suffered now...?

freebooter posted:

Scholastic editor: Listen, I actually got around to reading some of your Animorphs books and you need to tone it down on the body horror, OK? These books are for children, for Christ's sake.
KA (not really paying attention): No sweat. You got it.

KA probably heard "mwa mwa mwa mwa BODY HORROR mwa mwa mwa" and acted accordingly.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Oh, poo poo.

It's this book.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

KA probably heard "mwa mwa mwa mwa BODY HORROR mwa mwa mwa" and acted accordingly.

Michael Grant: The punters are going absolutely wild for the body horror. They're loving it. The problem is, we've exhausted every horizon. There's no more body horror left to write about!
KA: Hold my beer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

freebooter posted:

Michael Grant: The punters are going absolutely wild for the body horror. They're loving it. The problem is, we've exhausted every horizon. There's no more body horror left to write about!
KA: Hold my beer

The secret to a long and happy marriage: find yourself a wife who's even more gleefully hosed up than you are.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 7

quote:

A freak of nature.

So help me, that’s the first thought that swept into my mind, as I watched the buffalo stumble and squirm.

It sprouted a human leg covered with coarse, black animal hair.

Fringed, shaggy ears whipped out of Chapman’s head, then shrunk into dachshund-sized ears.

<What the …> Tobias finally blurted, sounding a little nauseated.

“It’s morphing,” I whispered. I covered my mouth with my free hand and fell back a step. It was really terrible.

Chapman’s skull split in the center and a pair of horns flowed from the crack like waves.

<How could it be morphing?> Tobias said, turning away and staring at me instead of the buffalo.

“It must have touched the blue box,” I said helplessly, thinking back. I had laid the box down in the truck while I morphed …

“Oh, God. It saw me morph. In the truck. And then somehow, while I was out rampaging around the highway, it must have ripped free of its remaining restraints, brushed past the box, and then … It had plowed straight into Chapman and without even knowing it, had acquired his DNA.”

I fell silent, not even realizing that I’d been speaking aloud.

<How could this happen?> Tobias asked, keeping his fierce, hawk’s gaze fixed firmly on me.

Like if he didn’t see the buffalo, it wouldn’t exist. <Cassie, we can’t have an animal roaming around out here morphing Chapman! And what if it touches something else? What if it goes around acquiring, I don’t know, everything, because it doesn’t know any better!>

“It could, because it doesn’t even know what’s happening to itself,” I said quietly, watching as the morph to Chapman finally became complete. “Look.”

<I really don’t want to,> he said, but did anyway.

The buffalo - Chapman - was down on all fours, and though the human form was apparent it was covered in coarse hair - thankfully. Suddenly, it began tossing its head and making hooking movements even though it no longer had its horns. It snorted, then sniffed the air with its now-pitiful human nose. Slowly, watchfully, it lowered its head and bit off a mouthful of weeds.

“It’s grazing,” I said, feeling nauseous.

The buffa-human stiffened. It looked around, then spotted me. Issued a challenging snort and then a weak, warbling, “WAAAA!”

“I can’t watch this anymore,” I said, as the buffa-human - or Chapman or whatever it was - crawled and lurched toward me on its hands and knees. It was trying to charge, to hook me with its nonexistent horns, to kill me. To protect and defend.

I stepped aside as it lumbered past, its human head swinging and its tongue lolling out. Not even realizing it had missed me.

<This isn’t too weird,> Tobias said, as the buffa-human stopped. Turned.

And slowly, creakily, straightened up onto its knees.

Wrong. It was all wrong! This terrible, twisted creature made my skin crawl. An adult - an assistant principal - was not supposed to huff and grunt and drool. Was not allowed to crawl and snort and pant. It betrayed everything I knew to be true about - about -

“It has a human brain, Tobias, but it doesn’t have a clue as to what to do with it,” I said, unable to stop staring at it, the way some people stare as they drive by car wrecks. It was grisly, it was gruesome, but I couldn’t stop watching as the creature rose, wobbling and unsure, onto two legs.

“Look, it’s learning. It’s watching me and learning!” The sight was both disturbing and exciting.

<Yeah, well, that’s great except that we’ve got to get out of here,> Tobias said, flapping to the top of the tree for another helicopter check. <Oh, yeah. There’s a whole group of people fanned out across the edge of the field and they’re making their way over here.>

“We can’t just leave it here,” I said, watching as the buffa-human took a first shaky step toward me.

<Well, we can’t take it with us!> Tobias said.

No we couldn’t, not like this. But if I could get it to demorph back into its buffalo shape, then it would stop putting off so much morphing energy.

<Come on, Cassie, the Yeerks know at least one of those buffalo is giving off morphing energy - >

“Wait, Tobias. I’m going to morph back into the buffalo to see if I can get it - him - to do it, too,” I said. I focused on the powerful DNA swimming in my blood.

The buffa-human watched me, unblinkingly, as I fell forward onto four short, muscular buffalo legs.

My jaw ground and shifted into a long, hinged bovine one. My eyes slithered apart and my nose broadened. My nostrils stretched wide. Muscle upon muscle bulked up my body until I was huge and majestic and magnificent, with a tough hide and a hair-trigger temper.

But this time I was prepared for the buffalo’s aggressive defenses, and I controlled them.

And then the other buffalo began to demorph.

Chapman’s pale, human skin darkened and sprouted coarse hair. The flesh covering his bones shivered, rippled, and bent, forming into four bovine legs. His gaze remained locked onto mine as he fell forward, as his neck bulged - And then the morph stopped.

<Come on,> I urged in thought-speak. I pushed aside the rising dominance I felt and moved slowly forward. Went nose-to-nose with the buffa-human in a sociable greeting. <Come on!>

The creature with Chapman’s face stumbled backward, its legs thinning back to human’s, fingers and toes bursting from its fading hooves.

<I don t get it. Why didn’t it work? Two hours in morph and we’ll have a really disturbing nothlit on our hands,> Tobias called from the treetop. <Cassie! We have to leave him here. The Gardens search team’ll find him sooner or later!>

<What, as half-Chapman, half-buffalo? That’s insane! We can’t leave him! He doesn’t even understand what’s happening to him!> I cried.

I was frustrated because what Tobias said was absolutely true. We did need to go, but how could I have created such a mutation, even by mistake, and then abandon it - him?

I felt a little like a twenty-first-century Dr. Frankenstein and it was not a good feeling.

<Cassie, if we wait any longer …> Tobias warned.

<AII right!> I shouted, then was immediately ashamed. <Sorry, Tobias.> I demorphed, avoiding the puzzled buffa-human’s gaze, then, even though I was exhausted, immediately began to morph to wolf.

Thick shaggy fur sprouted all over my body. My spine stretched and crackled. The palms of my hands puffed and hardened into thick, protective pads.

My skull shattered and ground into a canine skull. My snout shot out and my teeth grew into long, lethal fangs.

The buffa-human snorted and tossed his human head. His torso was all bulky buffalo, his head and legs pathetically human. He was grotesque.

He lumbered toward me but I was a wolf now, and I moved with easy grace and lightning quickness.

<Okay, Tobias,> I called, picking up the morphing cube with my mouth. <I’m outta here. You fly back and get the others. I’ll meet you guys up ahead.>

<Alone,> Tobias said, glancing pointedly at the odd mix of buffalo and human, and then launching himself into the air.

I looked at the creature, who was standing there, watching me.

<Alone,> I whispered, turning away in shame.

Because one way or another, his life as a normal African Cape buffalo was completely over. As a creature morphing, he would draw the Helmacron sensors. And if he exceeded the twohour limit in morph, he’d become some kind of hideous nothlit. Forever a mutant. Even if The Gardens found him, they wouldn’t know what to do with him.

And I knew I was leaving him to die.

Right. Even putting aside the body horror, this is a pretty terrible and sort of unwinnable situation, isn't it?

Chapter 8

quote:

I ran hard for a long time. Trying to put that last picture of the buffa-human out of my mind.

Trying to forget how he’d started to follow me and how his plaintive, bewildered grunting still echoed through my head.

Leaving him was wrong. But I had done it anyway.

I had abandoned an animal with human DNA in its bloodstream.

Thwok thwok thwok!

I glanced up. Spotted a lone helicopter with no logo on the side.

The ominous drone was growing closer.

I paused, trying to figure out what to do.

In morph I was sending a stronger signal and the helicopter could keep an easy lock on me. If I quickly demorphed back to human - besides that one fast burst of energy - I’d be giving off no signal except for the energy from the cube, and maybe I could lose them again.

Hunkering down on my haunches, I crept into the hollow beneath a clump of bushes and demorphed in record time.

Thwok! Thwok! Thwok!

The trees stirred and the darkening sky vibrated with the dull, thundering rumble of the sharp, swishing blades.

Time to run.

I crawled out and took off, zigzagging through the forest. I was cold, clumsy, slow. Twilight had fallen and I couldn’t see well in the growing darkness. My feet were battered and bruised.

But what I was losing in miles I was making up for in confusion. The Yeerks in the helicopter kept losing the cube’s signal and wheeling off in other directions, circling wider and wider until they were far enough away for me to pause, rest, and take off again.

So this is how the hunters do it, I thought, trying to catch my breath as I staggered through the shadows. They don’t even have to get dirty or tired. They can just sit in helicopters, probably drinking coffee, and chase their prey until it collapses.

The helicopter’s ominous THWOK! THWOK! THWOK! had returned and it was directly above me now, running me ragged, beating me down until I had no strength left and my pounding heart seemed ready to explode. I felt the same sick, terrified desperation of the hunted, powerless to shake
the ominous, stalking specter of death.

I veered right in an effort to throw them off.

Dragged myself under a rock ledge to re-morph.

I had to break the lock the Helmacron sensors had on me. Weaken the signal.

THWOK! THWOK! THWOK!

If I didn’t, the Yeerks would seize the blue box.

They’d hold me down as a Yeerk slug slithered into my ear and wove through my brain. I’d become a Controller, and then the Yeerks would know everything. That the “Andalite bandits” were really a bunch of human kids. They’d know where we lived, went to school, even what we ate. They’d know our families and take them, too.

They might even kill us. But they wouldn’t kill Ax. Ax would be given to a Yeerk up-and-coming in the ranks. We all knew that another Andalite body, even one that was really just a kid’s, was a coup.

They would find out about the Chee and annihilate them, extinguishing a race that had been around for millions of years. They would find out about the hidden colony of free Hork-Bajir and about the small but growing Yeerk resistance.

If I didn’t find a way to break this sensor lock we were all dead.

I closed my eyes. Gathered up my shredded concentration.

Thwok! Thwok! Thwok!

I sat up and opened my eyes. Listened.

No, I hadn’t imagined it. The treetops had stopped shaking and the leaves had stopped swirling around me.

The helicopter had moved off.

Exhausted, trembling, I grabbed the blue box and crawled out from under the bushes. Lay back on the carpet of pine needles and listened to the helicopter’s faint thrumming. Watched as an assortment of owls and other birds of prey landed around me and began to demorph.

“Cassie?” Jake said, when he’d finished demorphing. “Are you all right?”

No, I definitely wasn’t all right. I knew I was going to have to get up somehow, find the energy to morph again, and keep on running.

“I’m fine,” I lied. Being an Animorph had made lying a necessary evil. For all of us.

“Good, because I’ve got some pretty decent news,” Jake said, smiling. “Erek rigged up a device that simulates morphing energy and planted it back at the far edge of the woods. Once the Yeerks find it they’ll know it’s a fake, but at least it’ll buy us some time to figure out what to do.”

So. I hadn’t saved us by demorphing that last time. The Yeerks had been lured away by a stronger signal in another direction. Figures.

“The Chee are taking our places at home, so we’re covered for the night,” Rachel added, glancing around. “I should’ve stayed in owl morph. How are we supposed to find a place to hide while we make a plan if we can’t even see where we’re going?”

“We should go wolf,” I answered. “That way we can move quickly and I can carry the morphing cube. I’m pretty sure there’s a cave a few miles from here. The one I found when I was lost with Karen.” The thought of Karen gave me a good feeling. She was a little girl who’d been infested by a Yeerk. But now she was free and the Yeerk had become part of the Yeerk peace movement. The thought also helped me remember that a few good things have happened to us since all this started. I guess that stands for something.

The next voice I heard was Tobias’s. <I filled them in on the buffalo, Cassie. They thought of something we didn’t. Actually, Ax thought of it.>

I turned to look at Ax.

He stared back with two of his four eyes. His stalk eyes were in constant movement, scanning the dark woods. His scorpion tail was curved high and ready to strike.

“And?” I said wearily.

<Tobias told us that this mutant learned to stand by observing you,> Ax continued. <And if he learns to speak, he will, most likely, be able to identify you.>

“Forget learning to speak,” I interrupted, realizing what I hadn’t realized before. “He’s seen me morph! If the Yeerks infest him and are able to tap into his memories …”

<Human or buffalo,> Tobias added quietly. <It’s seen you morph while it was in both forms.>

The Chapalo is a direct threat to the Animorphs. I'm loving this book because it's willing to just go with it, you know?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Epicurius posted:

“We should go wolf,” I answered. “That way we can move quickly and I can carry the morphing cube. I’m pretty sure there’s a cave a few miles from here. The one I found when I was lost with Karen.” The thought of Karen gave me a good feeling. She was a little girl who’d been infested by a Yeerk. But now she was free and the Yeerk had become part of the Yeerk peace movement. The thought also helped me remember that a few good things have happened to us since all this started. I guess that stands for something.

I don't remember much of this book at all but this makes me feel like Aftran is going to crop up, otherwise this is a really clumsy and pointless paragraph.

edit - I just remembered Aftran's a whale now so scratch that. The Yeerk peace movement cropping up? It does feel kind of weird how underutilised they are. I get that the Anirmorphs aren't going to want to trust them as much as they do the Chee, but it's an interesting aspect of the overall story which feels like it just went by the wayside.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I thought you had to touch the Cube at the same time as something who could already morph? That was the deal in book one and with David, right? I guess we're handwaving that away to make for a more interesting book. That's fine.

The Chapman buffalo is horrific.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I thought you had to touch the Cube at the same time as something who could already morph? That was the deal in book one and with David, right? I guess we're handwaving that away to make for a more interesting book.

Well, they're definitely handwaving it away, at least...

But, yes, there needs to be intent to use the cube to pass along the morphing ability, and intent (and time) to acquire DNA. Except in this book.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Have they explicitly said that? I reread the morphing cube bits with Elfangor and David. While Ax holds out the box, it doesn't say he does anything special with it. Elfangor does deliberately touch a side, and that seemingly started the process, but that could have just been him directing because he already knows what it's about. Maybe it just requires you to know about morphing; the buffalo didn't touch it until after Cassie morphed after all.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Have they explicitly said that? I reread the morphing cube bits with Elfangor and David. While Ax holds out the box, it doesn't say he does anything special with it. Elfangor does deliberately touch a side, and that seemingly started the process, but that could have just been him directing because he already knows what it's about. Maybe it just requires you to know about morphing; the buffalo didn't touch it until after Cassie morphed after all.

If having touched it and knowing about morphing were sufficient, Ax wouldn't have needed to hold it out for David at all; David had already touched it more than all of them combined.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I think it definitely requires someone who's already morph-capable to pass it on.

The biggest plot hole IMO is that this is incredibly useful and dangerous technology they'd want to keep out of the hands of the Yeerks... but Andalite fighters apparently carry them as standard equipment while they're off getting shot down on distant Yeerk-controlled planets.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

If having touched it and knowing about morphing were sufficient, Ax wouldn't have needed to hold it out for David at all; David had already touched it more than all of them combined.
he touched it a lot, before he knew about morphing

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/StrahanCole/status/1489884319527366662?t=SWv1Ld5Co6sGuBAixm86VQ&s=19

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I guess the simple rule would be that the device activates when a being that can morph touches it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
As much as I like the series, there's a lot that falls apart if you look at it too hard. I blame the Elimist and Crayak.

Chapter 9

quote:

Wolves can move. Quickly. Quietly. And for a very long time. The five of us blew through the woods until we finally found the cave. Tobias stayed overhead. Our own personal eye in the sky.

The helicopter was a constant presence, beating through the night sky like a distant pulse, rising and falling, keeping us on edge and very, very aware of every movement. And every shadow.

The cave itself was little protection from the Yeerk shock troops. But the feeling that* comes from being walled-in on three sides was false security enough for us to be able to rest for a little while. The sun set as we huddled in the gray light. Well, I huddled. Rachel paced. Tobias perched on a low-hanging branch just outside the cave’s entrance where Ax was keeping watch. Jake was sitting close by.

“Have I mentioned to all of you how much I hate this?” Marco grumbled, his voice eerily disembodied in the dim light. “I mean, it just doesn’t stop.”

“Neither does your mouth,” Rachel retorted automatically, “C’mon, Jake, we need a better plan than just playing Keep Away.”

“I know,” Jake said, his fingers creeping over mine. “Any suggestions?”

“Well, I guess we have to find a way to disable the Helmacron sensors or destroy the ship, because no matter where we hide the cube, the sensors will find it,” I said.

Marco snorted. “Do you think? You mean all we have to do is find a way to dodge the sensors and get up to the helicopter? All the while, we fight off the Yeerks’ goon squad, find a puny, ultramicroscopic device, and smash it before we’re either killed or captured. No problem-o.”

<And don’t forget about the buffa-human,> Tobias said.

“That one’s easy,” Rachel said dismissively. “We just have to get rid of it.”

“But he’s already acquired human DNA,” I protested.

“So what? You’re saying if we kill it, it’s murder?” Rachel asked. “Come on, Cassie, it’s not a human any more than I’m a bear or you’re a wolf -”

“Or I’m a big monkey,” Marco added. Silence.

“Okay, so maybe Cassie does have a point,” Jake said, obviously trying not to laugh.

“Nice,” Marco smirked. “Very nice, Prince Jake.”

Ax swiveled an eyestalk in Jake’s direction. <Prince Jake, Marco and Rachel do make a valid point. I, too, have acquired human DNA. Does this make me a human rather than an Andalite?>

Silence.

“I hate these kinds of questions.” Rachel. “There are never any concrete answers! I say we do whatever we have to do to protect ourselves and if that includes killing a buffalo, well, too bad. We know firsthand that cows die every day to make hamburgers -”

“Not in the school cafeteria,” Marco said. “I’m pretty sure that’s roadkill.”

“Marco, let me ask you a question.”

“Shoot.”

“Is there any part of ‘shut up’ that you don’t understand? ‘Cause I’d be happy to explain it to you.”

“C’mon, guys,” Jake said impatiently. “We don’t have a lot of time here.”

He was right. We didn’t know where the buffalo was or if the Yeerks had already captured it … I shuddered. Forced myself not to mention the horrible possibility out loud.

The helicopter’s engine still pulsed through the night like a dull heartbeat. A little louder. A little closer.

Jake sighed. “Yeah, well, we don’t know anything for sure right now, except that we have to destroy those sensors if we plan on seeing our next birthdays.”

<Okay, so how can we get inside the helicopter?> Tobias asked, sounding strained.

Jake looked toward the cave entrance and then back to us. “Why go inside it?”

“How are we supposed to destroy the sensory devices if we don’t get inside the helicopter that’s carrying them?” Rachel asked.

“Maybe we should take down the whole helicopter,” Jake said. “Don’t even risk going inside.

We already know we don’t exactly want to get up close and personal with Taxxons or Hork-Bajir if we can avoid it.”

“I agree,” I said. Hork-Bajir were lethal enough with their razor-bladed bodies, but the Taxxons - gigantic, cannibalistic centipedes with incredibly sharp teeth - were just disgusting. The stuff nightmares are made of.

“So, how do we take down a helicopter?” Rachel said. “We’ve totally lost the element of surprise.”

“No surprise,” Jake said. “We give the Yeerks what they want. We let them get a good look at the morphing cube -”

<Uh, Jake?> Tobias said. <Isn’t that a little risky? I mean, you know that Visser Three wants this cube. What if once he’s absolutely sure we’ve got it with us, he sends a whole Hork-Bajir army to get it? We’re good, but we’re not that good.>

“Exactly, and here’s where the fake-out comes in,” Jake said. “Once the Yeerks pinpoint the source of the morphing energy, ‘cause we let them ‘catch us,’ they’re going to be on the lookout for a trap, right?”

“Oookay,” Marco said.

“So we give them one, only not from the direction they expect.”

<Prince Jake, exactly what is the meaning of “fake-out”? I am not sure I understand,> Ax asked.

“You’re not the only one,” Rachel muttered.

“Okay, look,” Jake said, sighing. “The guys in the helicopter are hunting the source of the morphing energy. We’re it. We let the cube be spotted and then take off. While they’re trying to run us to ground, one of us hangs back and ambushes them.”

“Brilliant!” Marco stood up and applauded. “One of us against a bunch of Controllers in a helicopter. Which, I’m guessing, just guessing, is equipped with a bunch of weapons. What’s the plan, morph a bird and peck the copter to death? Splatter poop all over the windshield and hope it crashes?”

“We could try to lure it down to the ground,” Rachel offered. “And then attack it and destroy the Helmacron ship.”

Marco shook his head. “Like they won’t be expecting that.”

“Do you have a better idea?” Rachel snapped.

“I kinda like the peck-‘n’-poop thing, myself,” he said brightly.

“You know, birds get sucked into airplane engines and cause crashes all the time,” I said quietly, tightening my grip on Jake’s hand.

<Ugh,> Tobias said uneasily. <Not a good way to go.>

“So, you’re saying we do a suicide run?” Rachel said.

“Well -” Jake began.

“No,” Marco interrupted. “Not a suicide run, a cartoon run! Oh, man, I am so good! Listen, what does Wile E. Coyote do when he wants to squash the Road Runner?”

“He straps one of those Acme rockets to his back,” Rachel said. “Dive-bombs him or something.”

Marco slapped his forehead and groaned. “Noooo! Come on, am I the only one educated in cartoon combat?” We all stared at Marco. “Oh, for … He drops an anvil on him! Don’t you get it? We need to drop an anvil on the helicopter!”

“Ahhh,” Jake said slowly. “Okay, yeah. It’s perfect. We can’t do it over the woods, though. The last thing we need is to cause a fire or something.”

Everything was falling into place. “We lure the helicopter out over the ocean. And then we drop the anvil,” I said calmly.

Jake smiled. “The sooner we get this done, the better. This is going to take split second timing to pull off.”

<Jake?> Tobias said urgently. <Someone’s coming. Taxxons.>

“Morph,” Jake ordered. “Now!”

So what's the ethics about killing a morphing buffalo that has your vice-principal's DNA? I guess that while I don't share Cassie's moral reservations here, I sympathize with her and good on her for bringing it up.

Chapter 10

quote:

I morphed.

I concentrated on the DNA and within a heartbeat, powerful horns popped through my scalp and were flowing and curving down the sides of my head and ending in sharp, deadly spears.

My internal organs slithered and gurgled, swimming and settling into my expanding bulk.

SPROOT!

My tail shot out.

My teeth grew, crowding my jaw and flattening into grinding molars. Coarse black hair sprouted and spread across my muscular tank body.

And when the African Cape buffalo’s mind rose, I was ready. Got a lock on the aggressive, hair trigger temper.

<The Taxxon trackers have spotted the cave, Prince Jake,> Ax said tensely. <I would not advise getting trapped in here.>

He was right. I glanced over at Jake, who’d morphed a sleek, deadly tiger.

At Rachel, a massive, towering grizzly bear.

Marco, a gorilla with enormous hands and the strength to tear a human apart limb from limb.

At Ax and Tobias who’d chosen their own forms. An Andalite whose razor-tipped tail was as lethal as lightning and twice as fast. And a red-tailed hawk with talons created to puncture, rip, and tear.

<I’ll go first.> Jake padded silently to the edge of the cave.

I followed him, the blue box wedged tightly in my mouth.

Clop clop clop!

<C’mon, Cassie, let’s get movin’, ole girl,> Marco joked, slapping me on the rump.

The buffalo temper flared and I twisted, tossing my horns at him.

<Whoa! Watch it, will you? You almost gutted me!> he said, leaping back just in time.

<Sorry about that,> I muttered.

I followed the others cautiously out of the cave, relying more on my sense of smell and hearing than on my eyesight. I was listening for even the slightest whisper of sound.

<We’ve got trouble,> Jake said.

<No problems Rachel threw back her head and let out an enraged roar.

“GGGGRRRRRRROOOAARRR!”

The night erupted.

The buffalo’s overwhelming defense instincts kicked in and suddenly I was barreling through the weeds, tossing my horns, and impaling a Taxxon where it stood.

“SSSKKKRRREEE!” It fell, writhing and twisting, foul-smelling blood pumping from its wounds.

Immediately, two other Taxxons converged and tore it to shreds.

I began to bellow, enraged by the scent of aggression, by the invasion and threat to my herd. WHAM!

I charged, slamming one of the feeding Taxxons into a tree. It burst, spewing guts everywhere.

Frenzied, I trampled the second Taxxon, piercing its fat, squishy body with my hooves.

It slashed at me, spasming in its death throes’, but I barely felt its needle teeth. My heart was thundering and adrenaline powered my massive body.
Nothing hurt. And nothing could stop me.

“SSSRRREEE WAAAARRI!”

I whirled and saw Jake rake open a Taxxon.

“RRRROOOOOWWWRRR!”

Rachel, slashing and biting at a pair of Hork-Bajir, her chest matted with blood.

Fury rose and I stampeded a Hork-Bajir.

WHUMPF!

Its fiercely bladed arm split my shoulder. I gored it, trampled it. Backed off.

It didn’t move.

FWAP! FWAP!

Ax’s tail blade was slicing and dicing, severing Hork-Bajir arms, hands, landing lethal blows, but there were too many and he was being driven back toward the cave.

A furious, gray haze misted my vision and I barreled through the Hork-Bajir, a tank, a steamroller, hooking them, goring them, scattering them like bowling pins.

More Hork-Bajir converged, wrist and arm blades slashing.

“TSSSSEEEER!” Tobias screeched, raking his talons across a Hork-Bajir’s eyes.

It screamed.

Everyone was screaming.

Marco bellowed. Bringing down his huge fist onto a Taxxon. But his scalp was split, and one of his ears was missing.

<There’re too many!> he yelled.

“GGRRROOOWWWWWR!” Rachel roared, as a Hork-Bajir blade carved a deep swath through her shoulder.

Jake leaped, grabbing a Taxxon and taking it down, ripping at it with his back claws. Leaped away and took down another one. <Keep fighting! If we retreat now, we’re dead!>

I slammed into another Hork-Bajir. And another. Stomped them. Gored them.

Their blades sank deep into my hide, slicing me open, nicking my bones and making me scream in pain, making me charge in fury, making me fight to the death.

<I’m losing it, Jake!> Marco yelled, clutching his head and reeling away from a downed Taxxon.

<Prince Jake, we have to stop,> Ax said grimly, lopping the head off a slavering, chittering Taxxon. <We are severely outnumbered ->

That’s when I heard the familiar bellowing. The enraged bellow was fresh and furious.

<It’s the buffalo, Cassie!> Tobias shouted. <The Yeerks didn’t get it!>

I sucked in lungfuls of air and let out a resounding, answering snort.

The buffalo went berserk. It was a whirlwind of destruction. Trampled, pierced, gored, and gouged huge, gaping holes in the Taxxons. Battered the Hork-Bajir.

We all went a little crazy after that, on some kind of sick, bloody rampage spurred on by the African Cape buffalo who annihilated the Hork-Bajir ranks with sheer savagery. And finally, sent them howling, bent and broken, into the forest.

And then it was over.

So what's the ethics about killing a morphing buffalo that has your vice-principal's DNA and just saved your life?

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 24, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think it's a hell of a lot more ethical than killing a human helicopter crew, which they don't seem to have batted an eyelid at

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh please, there are plenty more helicopter crews, how many buffahumans have you seen?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have an extremely nuanced and well considered moral argument about what to do with a hideous buffo-man abomination: Kill it kill it kill it oh god what the gently caress even is it kill it kill it put it out of its misery oh god its got a human head kill it kill it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have an extremely nuanced and well considered moral argument about what to do with a hideous buffo-man abomination: Kill it kill it kill it oh god what the gently caress even is it kill it kill it put it out of its misery oh god its got a human head kill it kill it

Okay, Janeway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Okay, Janeway Alloran.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Please, Alloran would point the thing at the Yeerks and keep a shredder trained on it to waste it the instant it might get captured.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

None of these are counter-arguments :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And of course the buffabomination shows up in the book narrated by the strongly empathetic animal-lover who is also an artistically skilled morpher.