Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FairGame posted:

So, uh...

Should I get this?

My 2 favorite tac RPGs are FFT and TO (this is not a terribly unique list; I know). I guess Banner Saga also but that's a game where the actual combat is utter poo poo but counterbalanced by everything else being so good. I'm fine with lots of story, but also want fun gameplay and music. I don't want weird grindy poo poo like Disgaea, or pointless grimdark stuff like Vandal Hearts 2.

Reviews I've read are all over the map so I figure I'm better off with all y'all here.

It’s very good. It reminds me of Fire Emblem before Fire Emblem became entirely about weird incest and breeding programs.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This game owns I love it. My favorite games are FFT and TO too. This isn't as good as either of those but it's still excellent. Some people don't like the exploration/info gathering sections but those are skippable as long as you're not super invested in the outcomes of the votes.

Some of the story sections are a little dense, especially at the beginning but it accelerates pretty fast.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh snap thanks. I might spend the resources on that.

I also never thought to use Now! on ultimates with cast time. I'm definitely going to abuse that now lol

If you use all of the TP/Timing support characters Ezana can spit out a lot of global lightning.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

If you use all of the TP/Timing support characters Ezana can spit out a lot of global lightning.

This is what I've been doing but for some reason I never thought to use Now! along with it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s very good. It reminds me of Fire Emblem before Fire Emblem became entirely about weird incest and breeding programs.

bad news about kaga

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FairGame posted:

So, uh...

Should I get this?

My 2 favorite tac RPGs are FFT and TO (this is not a terribly unique list; I know). I guess Banner Saga also but that's a game where the actual combat is utter poo poo but counterbalanced by everything else being so good. I'm fine with lots of story, but also want fun gameplay and music. I don't want weird grindy poo poo like Disgaea, or pointless grimdark stuff like Vandal Hearts 2.

Reviews I've read are all over the map so I figure I'm better off with all y'all here.

It's good and the game isn't grindy at all. There's also a demo that lets you carry progress over to the full game so you should definitely check that out.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is what I've been doing but for some reason I never thought to use Now! along with it.

Medina has the same kind of ability at the cost of 2 TP and 2 Swift Spice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Reik posted:

She's a beast. While this doesn't hit as hard as something Frederica can do, it does hit everything. While some enemies will heal, they have to spend their turns doing that and it just makes it easier for you to wipe them up if you leverage it properly.

Ezana is my favorite party member tbh. She's slow but not so slow that it matters with this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Levantine posted:

She's a beast. While this doesn't hit as hard as something Frederica can do, it does hit everything. While some enemies will heal, they have to spend their turns doing that and it just makes it easier for you to wipe them up if you leverage it properly.

Ezana is my favorite party member tbh. She's slow but not so slow that it matters with this.

Every lightning bolt has a chance to paralyze too and every paralysis is a big deal in terms of overall action economy.

Ezana is my favorite too.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I’m extremely harsh on this game and I still give it a very solid 7. I have a lot of issues with the story and lack of customization of units but even with like a laundry list of complaints that I won’t reiterate I still put it in “good” territory.

Voice acting is irredeemably bad tho in English

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The voice acting is legitimately terrible even as someone who places this game as a 9/10.

There’s like maybe two competent performances in the whole cast and everyone else is wooden as a board.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MotU posted:

I’m extremely harsh on this game and I still give it a very solid 7. I have a lot of issues with the story and lack of customization of units but even with like a laundry list of complaints that I won’t reiterate I still put it in “good” territory.

Voice acting is irredeemably bad tho in English

The voice acting is legitimately terrible even as someone who places this game as a 9/10.

There’s like maybe two competent performances in the whole cast and everyone else is wooden as a board.

Yeah I have a lot of criticisms of the game but overall I'm left very positive on it. The voice acting is unforgivably bad. If you can tolerate it, more power to you but there is zero quality control there. Overall it's a super easy game to recommend despite its shortcomings.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I was relieved to see the game had a toggle for Japanese voiceover and switched immediately.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

psy_wombats posted:

I was relieved to see the game had a toggle for Japanese voiceover and switched immediately.

Honestly I just turned it off completely and never looked back. The only thing in the game that's improved by the voice overs (even in English) is the narrator sequences. Everything else is way better silent, IMO.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Ezana is great especially since she can buff herself AND another caster (Narve)'s lightning spells at the start of a fight. Problem I hit late game is that her full screen lightning hit rate was down to like 36% against higher evasion units like cavalry. Keeping her going becomes Medina or Julio's full time job.

Frederica has KO TP+ and also can synergize with Medina's ability to toss oil jugs around.

Corentin I liked the least of the mages. Ice Walls were fun for a bit but faded in value outside of chokepoint maps like the Whiteholm Bridge. Silence was outstanding, though. I do want to try his combo setup with Giovanna when I unlock her ice ability in NG+.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
After my first run with the core crew, I'm going back through my 2nd really focusing on my backbenchers from the first game (Rudy, Milo, Jens, Ezana, Flannagan). I'm on Very Easy so I don't really care about optimizing any more, just want to see everyone do their thing.

Then maybe a 3rd run with the really late-game additions from the 2nd run that I missed the first time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Levantine posted:

Honestly I just turned it off completely and never looked back. The only thing in the game that's improved by the voice overs (even in English) is the narrator sequences. Everything else is way better silent, IMO.

some of the ladies have attractive voices in jp, qed

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

This has been a pretty fun romp, just about done with first playthrough.

That said (endgame spoilers): Roland, buddy, what the actual gently caress? You really do just pick the worst options. Why the hell would we sign up for the salt theocracy.

Also the sheer balls to tell the angry fire mage her people don't mean poo poo.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eminent Domain posted:

That said (endgame spoilers): Roland, buddy, what the actual gently caress? You really do just pick the worst options. Why the hell would we sign up for the salt theocracy.

I will feed your entire race into the eternal jaws of slavery if it means I don't have to make any decisions or be responsible for any outcomes for the rest of my life.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Huxley posted:

I will feed your entire race into the eternal jaws of slavery if it means I don't have to make any decisions or be responsible for any outcomes for the rest of my life.

Was honestly waiting for her to just barbeque him on the spot for that one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eminent Domain posted:

I love that part personally because

He is loving up REAL BAD but it also makes perfect sense in the context of the neuroses/foibles/background of the character. He's been intermittently seeking and running from responsibility his whole life, this is the natural evolution of that. He hates being a monarch, he hates being a figurehead, he hates people living or dying on his choices and the Hard Choices he has to make, this is the perfect(ly terrible) way to wash his hands of all of it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t realize silence affected all abilities other than the default attack until Serenoa got silenced. It’s incredibly useful.

Also (someone pointed this out earlier in the thread) when your character is silenced they don’t speak when it’s their turn. A nice little touch.

Edit: the voice acting is bad but it never detracted from my experience. And actually some of the more intense, emotional stuff near the end was decent.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Eminent Domain posted:

realpolitik, revolutionary, and the fail son
the holy trinity

e: Benedict also gets a real rude line about "taking blind advice from your betrothal" that is pointlessly mean and low key sexist. wish people went for the throat like that more often during the scales lol

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 21, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Eminent Domain posted:

I wonder if they meant for Roland to be depressed? It feels a lot like Shinji not wanting to get in to the robot.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I love that part personally because

He is loving up REAL BAD but it also makes perfect sense in the context of the neuroses/foibles/background of the character. He's been intermittently seeking and running from responsibility his whole life, this is the natural evolution of that. He hates being a monarch, he hates being a figurehead, he hates people living or dying on his choices and the Hard Choices he has to make, this is the perfect(ly terrible) way to wash his hands of all of it.

Yeah, with his arc it makes perfect.sense that he just cannot rise to the occasion and is gonna run screaming in the other direction. But man what a way to cap it off

Edit: get in the fuckin' robot Shinji, but fair point

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Reik posted:

I wonder if they meant for Roland to be depressed? It feels a lot like Shinji not wanting to get in to the robot.

Meant? It's pretty explicit. If you don't stay in the capital to help deal the with royalists all you get is him being really shaken and brushing it off, and if you stay you get to see why he's like that.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Alard posted:

Meant? It's pretty explicit. If you don't stay in the capital to help deal the with royalists all you get is him being really shaken and brushing it off, and if you stay you get to see why he's like that.

I didn't pick that in my two playthroughs, picked Fred and then the golden route. I'll have to look up the scenes I missed

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The people who turned off voice acting really miss out during that stretch of the game with the English VA. Some real venom comes out there, especially from Frederica and Benedict.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alard posted:

He also can (Frederica ch 13) stab his own sister
Dude has it rough

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Novasol posted:

The people who turned off voice acting really miss out during that stretch of the game with the English VA. Some real venom comes out there, especially from Frederica and Benedict.

Yes, this. Especially the Chapter XVII scenes. It's seriously weird, as though all the good voice direction went to the end of the game. Serenoa, Frederica, The Hyzante Beard Spear guy whose name I cannot remember right now, and Benedict are standouts.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Prowler posted:

Yes, this. Especially the Chapter XVII scenes. It's seriously weird, as though all the good voice direction went to the end of the game. Serenoa, Frederica, The Hyzante Beard Spear guy whose name I cannot remember right now, and Benedict are standouts.

Serenoa's reaction to Roland's plan is priceless, lmao

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the coda to the Benedict ending, too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I prefer English Frederica to her Japanese voice.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This game owns, but I'm only on chapter 6 so this thread is a no man's land to read for right now.

Just wanted to say its very good. Hooking me just like FFT did

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Novasol posted:

Serenoa's reaction to Roland's plan is priceless, lmao

Yeah that ruled. Benedict’s reaction to choosing (final decision spoilers) Frederica’s path and the ensuing stand off between him and Serenoa were both great.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
yeah all the dramatic points during F path were actually well voice acted enough. wish the whole game was like that

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
A possible weakness of SRPGs without job systems or randomized generic squadmates is that you spend big chunks of game time without a full squad load out or the ability to meaningfully tailor your squad. I'm thinking of good old Shining Force 2 - though I love it to death - and how a team comp dream of say "four centaur cavalry" or "two blaster mages" is only a dream for too many missions.

Is this the same? If I'm taken with the idea of using like half of my roster on archers can I do it without delay?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I pretty quickly found myself with more cool units than I had deployment slots in a mission. Triangle Strategy definitely doesn’t have the issue some games do where it takes a while to open up.

Since each unit is a unique, bespoke class with minimal customization you can’t necessarily go all in on a team-wide gimmick like making the entire team archers - you just won’t get enough archers. But the flip side of that is that you have a ton of unique units with different skills, so your choice of team composition is still interesting and meaningful.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finished my first playthrough going the "red" path. I know that each non-golden ending is supposed to not feel like a "good" ending, but the execution still felt really contrived and hollow. Having the man who took the realm effectively by conquest resign to letting Benedict being all 'well there are systems in place nothing we can do' about the inequality in the kingdom felt pretty dumb. Roland, who was entirely willing to resign the Roselle to being eternal slaves under Idore's rule becoming all savior of the downtrodden also felt incredibly unearned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SuperKlaus posted:

A possible weakness of SRPGs without job systems or randomized generic squadmates is that you spend big chunks of game time without a full squad load out or the ability to meaningfully tailor your squad. I'm thinking of good old Shining Force 2 - though I love it to death - and how a team comp dream of say "four centaur cavalry" or "two blaster mages" is only a dream for too many missions.

Is this the same? If I'm taken with the idea of using like half of my roster on archers can I do it without delay?

The short answer is no. You eventually unlock a bunch of archers etc but you can't really build that kind of group until quite a ways in.

The long answer is that you don't really want to. The scenarios are designed around mixed compositions, and the different archers fill different niches anyway. There's an archer focused around status ailments and area control, one around pure damage, one who is a mobile elemental archer, one that also places traps. If you bring too many mages you'll find yourself running out of mana, and some of the mages really anti-synergise with each other. You're better off building a powerful mage or archer, and using support characters to buff their damage and increase the number of turns they get and the number of times they can use their best abilities.

Even just putting a melee character on the other side of a target for your archers would double your damage output due to follow-up attacks. Cohesive teams are the name of the game.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 22, 2022