Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neeksy posted:

I get the feeling MaoMao probably was easier for CN to let go of since it wasn't technically one of their in-house shows.

As for Disney… well this isn't that unusual given the way things also went for Gravity Falls, either. Though IIRC that was also because production on that one was particularly difficult and faced deadline difficulties behind the scenes. I can't say the same for the others since I've since dropped out of following that stuff too closely.

IIRC Disney actually really wanted season 3 of Gravity Falls but Hirsch and the crew chose to end it early because of burnout.

Also apparently they gave Star Vs a fourth season but it underperformed ratings and reception-wise, so they're extra gunshy of giving anything more than 3 seasons now. Which is a real goddamn pity for DuckTales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm still bummed that Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart got canned, although that doesn't have any particular representational relevance.

It represented... my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHiTY0mq8Jw

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Have they even officially canned it yet? Last I checked it was still in unannounced limbo with a a second season still supposedly coming, and presumably at least some of it got made.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I don't think I will ever get sick of Gumball :allears:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I finally got around to finishing Centaurworld. What a weird show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was not aware of that. Retracted

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like I have to say that after two seasons isn't that early by Disney Channel standards, especially when they have the three season rule. At least they got a rump season to wrap up with.

I'm still bummed that Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart got canned, although that doesn't have any particular representational relevance.

Oh that sucks I liked Mao Mao. I did not even hear about that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jellystone still weird and good y'all. Idk if it really appeals to kids or not, but it certainly appeals to millennial manchildren like me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jellystone is okay, but I guess I'm still a little confused at what the point was in trying to bring back the Hannah Barbera classic characters if they have so little connection to their previous incarnations.

Just wanna keep the image of them in pop culture somehow?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh that sucks I liked Mao Mao. I did not even hear about that.

I guess it's not entirely clear that it's cancelled, there was talk of there being another season, but then it's been two years of radio silence. I remember there was something where I think the creator posted an grumpy tweet that implied something bad, but I can't find it. Maybe pandemic stuff stalled things? I dunno.

Other shows I'm still sad about being over are Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which had fantastic animation and might still have a final movie in production, and OK KO, which is definitely over and was the best nostalgia for the late 90s/early 00s I've ever seen.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Disney actually really wanted season 3 of Gravity Falls but Hirsch and the crew chose to end it early because of burnout.

Also apparently they gave Star Vs a fourth season but it underperformed ratings and reception-wise, so they're extra gunshy of giving anything more than 3 seasons now. Which is a real goddamn pity for DuckTales.

I was not a huge fan of some of the episodes towards the tail end of Ducktales Season 3, to the point where I'm sort of glad they didn't get another season.
Then again, maybe those episodes were weaker because they felt like they had to rush to wrap up certain characters and stories.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've tried to get into Ducktales, and I believe the thread when they say it gets better, but my god the first Margo Martindale episode was hard to get through, and when I realised I'd wandered into another my brain sank. (Not a slight against the actress, duh, just using her a signifier). The show is very, very kiddie early on, without anything that's pushing against that or keeping me invested.

I know that Gravity Falls and Star went through periods like this early on (very early on in the case of GF), but at what point does it gain a consistent edge?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jellystone is okay, but I guess I'm still a little confused at what the point was in trying to bring back the Hannah Barbera classic characters if they have so little connection to their previous incarnations.

Top Cat is basically the same.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know that Gravity Falls and Star went through periods like this early on (very early on in the case of GF), but at what point does it gain a consistent edge?

You mean when it stops being episodic and "poo poo gets real" for lack of a better term? GF hits that in its 2-part season 1 finale, although season 2 is largely episodic too, with plot interspersed throughout. Also it's just really good in general so if you're not watching it all you're loving up.

SvtFOE is much the same way where season 1 is moooostly inconsequential aside from a few episodes and the finale, then season 2 is kinda like GF's season 2 where it's still mostly episodic but with plot mixed in to a lot of episodes, then for the last 2 seasons it's almost all plot. But also personally I feel that the show gets worse the more the plot goes on so I'd recommend you quit after the season 3 premiere :rimshot: (only half kidding). But hey, I didn't like it when Adventure Time got plot-heavy and a lot of people loved that, so what the gently caress do I know?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 22, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My one problem with Jellystone is that they do a lot of digital puppet/squash and stretch for character designs that are literally designed to be easily-drawn and animated goofily.
But I'm just not going to escape that in N. American TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

You mean when it stops being episodic and "poo poo gets real" for lack of a better term? GF hits that in its 2-part season 1 finale, although season 2 is largely episodic too, with plot interspersed throughout. Also it's just really good in general so if you're not watching it all you're loving up.

I think maybe I didn't explain myself very well -- I'm asking at what point DuckTales "gets good". I've seen both Gravity Falls and Star vs The Forces of Evil (and yeah, I gave up once that show went sour, well before the end of Season 4). That Season 3 finale is ooft, not compelling.

And by "get good", I don't mean becomes more plot driven, but more the point at which the writing becomes a bit more compelling and specific, rather than generic. Star's "Quest Buy", for instance, or when Gravity Falls stopped doing stuff like "Legend of The Gobblewonker" (which I found corny and slack) vs something like "Fight Fighers".

Like, I see the love for Duck Tales here, and I trust that most y'all's opinions don't suck. But I'm sort of operating under the assumption that Duck Tales episodes will get a bit more impressive than that episode about them all getting stuck in a playland and learning really basic lessons about friendship and respect.

I get this is subjective, but there must be a point where the show settles into a higher gear, yeah?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was confused for a moment but okay, sounds like you're VERY early on. They actually wanted to have more of the 'adventure' episodes early on but Disney hosed around with the episode order for dumb reasons. "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!" was supposed to be episode 3, so you can watch that one out of order if you like, since I'd say that's one of the best first season eps.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was confused for a moment but okay, sounds like you're VERY early on. They actually wanted to have more of the 'adventure' episodes early on but Disney hosed around with the episode order for dumb reasons. "The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!" was supposed to be episode 3, so you can watch that one out of order if you like, since I'd say that's one of the best first season eps.

Yeah, thanks, I'll do that.

Is there some sort of "correct" order out there?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me of how Season 1 of Steven Universe has a mucked up broadcast order, though I can't recall if it's still screwed up on HBO Max or not

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, thanks, I'll do that.

Is there some sort of "correct" order out there?

This one is from either Frank's tumblr or twitter, idk it's been a while.
Not sure if he ever made one for the other seasons or if they just didn't have as many rearrangements

Producktion Order posted:

1. “Woo-oo!”
2. “Daytrip of Doom!”
3. “The Impossible Summit of Mt. Neverrest!”
4. “The Great Dime Chase!”
5. “The Beagle Birthday Massacre/Breakout!”
6. “The House of the Lucky Gander!”
7. “The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!”
8. “The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!”
9. “Terror of the Terra-Firmians!”
10. “McMystery at McDuck Manor!”
11. “The Spear of Selene!”
12. “The Missing Links of Moorshire!”
13. “Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System!”
14. “Day of the Only Child!”
15. “Jaw$”
16. “The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains!”
17. “From the Confidential Case Files of Agent 22!”
18. “Sky Pirates...In the Sky!”
19. “The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck!”
20. “Who is Gizmoduck?!”
21. “The Secret(s) of Castle McDuck!”
22. “The Last Crash of the Sunchaser!”
23. “The Shadow War!”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What are some animated kids' shows/all audiences shows where the main characters are all adults? I can think of Spongebob, Gargoyles, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, Motorcity, and the DC animated universe.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FPyat posted:

What are some animated kids' shows/all audiences shows where the main characters are all adults? I can think of Spongebob, Gargoyles, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, Motorcity, and the DC animated universe.
Regular Show?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That probably applies to a significant majority of shows with talking animal leads tbh.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FPyat posted:

Centaurworld, I think. Durpleton is like 47.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spongebob is sort of supposed to be a kid. At least that's what they said in the movie.

The Looney Tune Show I think was supposed to all be adults. Same with Sonic Boom. The shows were sort of trying to be Seinfeld but with cartoon animals. I guess with cartoon animals it's ambiguous whether they should count as adults.

Superhero shows sometimes straddle the line as to whether they're targeted at kids, but generally have all-adult casts. Batman the Brave and the Bold was one of the most "childish" incarnations of Batman in a while but featured no children. A lot of 80s shows also tended to just have entirely adult casts like with GI Joe or the original Transformers. There's also a couple oddballs like the short-lived Evil con Carne or Men in Black the Series.

Also: Johnny Bravo. Humans, all adults.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Top Cat is basically the same.

He's kinda not. He's got a different accent, something southern instead of a Phil Silvers impression, and he pulls his scams differently. The original Top Cat was more about buttering people up.

It really doesn't matter much since the original Hanna Barbera is the pinnacle of disposable media and anyone who really cares would be over 50 by now, but it's still weird.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

FPyat posted:

Wander Over Yonder. Kind of an interesting parallel to Spongebob there, both shows have obnoxious optimist lead characters, but Wander is more consistently portrayed as more aspirational and grounded in his core principles than Spongebob, who was more often depicted as a childish audience surrogate or object lesson for young viewers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Spongebob is sort of supposed to be a kid. At least that's what they said in the movie.

The Looney Tune Show I think was supposed to all be adults. Same with Sonic Boom. The shows were sort of trying to be Seinfeld but with cartoon animals. I guess with cartoon animals it's ambiguous whether they should count as adults.

Superhero shows sometimes straddle the line as to whether they're targeted at kids, but generally have all-adult casts. Batman the Brave and the Bold was one of the most "childish" incarnations of Batman in a while but featured no children. A lot of 80s shows also tended to just have entirely adult casts like with GI Joe or the original Transformers. There's also a couple oddballs like the short-lived Evil con Carne or Men in Black the Series.

Also: Johnny Bravo. Humans, all adults.

He's kinda not. He's got a different accent, something southern instead of a Phil Silvers impression, and he pulls his scams differently. The original Top Cat was more about buttering people up.

It really doesn't matter much since the original Hanna Barbera is the pinnacle of disposable media and anyone who really cares would be over 50 by now, but it's still weird.

Johnny Bravo had a Girl Scout neighbour who hangs around, and Transformers is infamous for having human kids tagging along for poorly explained reasons. (except Beast Wars... mostly. And some of the more recent cheap CGI ones have the weird route of taking place on Earth but not even showing any humans)

Men in Black and Godzilla: The Series come to mind for having no kid regulars. (unless Godzilla counts)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Jellystone still weird and good y'all. Idk if it really appeals to kids or not, but it certainly appeals to millennial manchildren like me.

jellystone has been surprisingly pleasant. the art style initially gave me the impression that it would be like that awful yogi bear series by john k in the early 2000s on adult swim. thankfully this wasn't the case and it's legit good and very low on the gross out humor :smith:

SlothfulCobra posted:

top cat's quite possibly the only HB character pre-1980 that i still had any sort of attachment to, so it is a bit of a shame that they changed him (specifically the accent, which now makes him sound like some country bumpkin).

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 23, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly remember Top Cat being completely incomprehensible if you aren't familiar with 60s NYC.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

jellystone has been surprisingly pleasant. the art style initially gave me the impression that it would be like that awful yogi bear series by john k in the early 2000s on adult swim. thankfully this wasn't the case and it's legit good and very low on the gross out humor :smith:

Imagine an episode about a stink factory that never brings up poop or farts for the entire episode. Jellystone does that. It's wild, especially because the creator's last series had a character that was literally a living fart cloud.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sheep in the Big City's another one that I'm not sure was meant for children. I think it aired during prime time and had a lot of mature humor (as in, kinda boring for kids).

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Johnny Bravo had a Girl Scout neighbour who hangs around, and Transformers is infamous for having human kids tagging along for poorly explained reasons. (except Beast Wars... mostly. And some of the more recent cheap CGI ones have the weird route of taking place on Earth but not even showing any humans)

Men in Black and Godzilla: The Series come to mind for having no kid regulars. (unless Godzilla counts)

The original Transformers show had Spike Witwickey fulfilling the "kid" role, but he seemed like an actual adult. The Transformers meet him because he was working an oil rig with his dad. He does have a kid after the movie timeskip, but I don't even really know if that kid is a big part of the show after that point.

First two seasons of Flintstones also started with them not having a kid. But that's another prime time show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FPyat posted:

Diving into the realm of classic nicktoons, pretty sure all the main characters in Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, and Catdog are adults

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Diving into the realm of classic nicktoons, pretty sure all the main characters in Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, and Catdog are adults

-Ren and Stimpy
-Johnny Bravo
-Regular Show
-Reboot
-The Tick
-Earthworm Jim
-Ultimate Muscle
-That one with the team of furry dog superheroes. No, the other one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I did rewatch the first couple of episodes of Dog City (the Jim Henson one, it's fun, still holds up), and that one does have a puppet that's a younger cast member who looks up to the cartoonist.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

readingatwork posted:

But PAW Patrol isn't superher...oh wait. :negative:

That show has gone full whacko, I swear. #4 can't get enough but for gently caress's sake, they went from aboveground pups to underwater pups to spy pups to super pups to whatever the gently caress else.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

readingatwork posted:

-Ren and Stimpy
-Johnny Bravo
-Regular Show
-Reboot
-The Tick
-Earthworm Jim
-Ultimate Muscle

Reboot absolutely had a kid in the main cast, and two kids for a while. But yes, mostly adults.

SwatKats! All adult cast.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

D34THROW posted:

But PAW Patrol isn't superher...oh wait. :negative:

That show has gone full whacko, I swear. #4 can't get enough but for gently caress's sake, they went from aboveground pups to underwater pups to spy pups to super pups to whatever the gently caress else.

We just need to stop buying their plastic crap! This will not happen :smith: The most recent contrivance is one of them became mother of dragons or some poo poo and fought with a doberman.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I feel like people aren't understanding that the show in question was Road Rovers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Johnny Bravo as I said had a little girl in the main cast, though she didn't show up in every episode. Mind you, a lot of episodes are just Johnny out on his own getting up to Shenanigans.

Is kinda funny given at around the same time you had so many shows specifically having Spinoff Babies, and I swear this predates Rugrats. It was probably some marketing firm's idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

readingatwork posted:

I feel like people aren't understanding that the show in question was Road Rovers.

I thought it was that Krypto cartoon.