Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

can you imagine even a single politician in America, even at the level of City Hall, getting removed from office because "they let COVID cases get too high"

Sir, have you heard of "individual responsiblity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

How are you going to get the very best people to fill those important positions if they know they could face consequences for their actions?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

can you imagine even a single politician in America, even at the level of City Hall, getting removed from office because "they let COVID cases get too high"

I am trying, but my brain won't accept the premise and keeps changing high to low.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Apropos:

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220321-france-s-covid-19-infections-surge-week-on-week-after-restrictions-lifted posted:

France's Covid-19 infections surge week-on-week after restrictions lifted

France reported an average of close to 90,000 new coronavirus infections over the last seven days, marking a 36% rise from one week ago when most Covid-19 health protocol measures were lifted by the government just ahead of the country's elections.
(..)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

Apropos:

lol it's great how the various politicians don't seem to understand basics like Germ theory and I can't wait for the next wave of articles on "How did this happen?"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

etalian posted:

lol it's great how the various politicians don't seem to understand basics like Germ theory and I can't wait for the next wave of articles on "How did this happen?"

Controlling Reality through Appropriate Posturing

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 22, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gradenko_2000 posted:

The state premier Gladys Berejiklian in NSW Australia (equivalent to a state governor) dragged her feet on locking down when they had a delta outbreak and then decided to open back up when their vaxx rate got to a certain level even though they still had significant case numbers which was completely out of line with how the other states had been reacting to outbreaks, which meant that she pretty much unilaterally opened up the entire country since continuing outbreaks in the other states were absolutely inevitable after that. She was forced to quit politics soon after because of unrelated scandals but the PM then went on to ask her to enter federal politics, and just yesterday there were calls for her to campaign on behalf of the government because their numbers are looking grim as we head into a federal election. If she hadn't been :airquote: cancelled :airquote: and forced out of politics she would have had a rosy political career ahead of her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Berejiklian#Political_career

The news media were working overtime lionizing her while they vilified the state leaders who were insisting on lockdowns and mask mandates

https://twitter.com/afrmag/status/1387903018419449864

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the reason people care about Ukraine in a way they very much didn’t care about the million dead Americans from covid is that in Ukraine there is a lot of property damage. people only care about property damage. it is why people care about 9/11, because buildings got destroyed, and is why people care about drunk driving, because cars get hurt.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
people are replaceable. things? things are forever.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

the reason people care about Ukraine in a way they very much didn’t care about the million dead Americans from covid is that in Ukraine there is a lot of property damage. people only care about property damage. it is why people care about 9/11, because buildings got destroyed, and is why people care about drunk driving, because cars get hurt.

and white people sobbing

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1506067576320843779

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pingui posted:

Punishing them instead of rewarding them?!

Sounds very authoritarian and therefore problematic.

hmm yes i concur

gradenko_2000 posted:

no

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
cross-posting from the Eurasia thread:

https://twitter.com/kjoules/status/1506114862816309249

as it turns out, Sinovac isn't the sugar-water vaccine that Western media kept portraying it as throughout 2021.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Palladium posted:

small price to pay for eat at some lovely dining franchise
Who here wouldn't sacrifice their child for Moons Over MyHammy?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

as it turns out, Sinovac isn't the sugar-water vaccine that Western media kept portraying it as throughout 2021.

definitely nothing do with "hate their govt, love the people" libs wishing mass chinese death

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

My son was bullied into unmasking at school and he didn’t tell us for a week.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Pillowpants posted:

My son was bullied into unmasking at school and he didn’t tell us for a week.
So if he or she gets sick and suffers long covid you can sue the school right? R...right...??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m never going to understand “lifting vaccine mandates”

don’t try to explain it I’m not going to understand

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

WampaLord posted:

siren call of irrestabowels

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

hey, thanks :tipshat:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

T-Paine posted:

So if he or she gets sick and suffers long covid you can sue the school right? R...right...??

:lol:

Remember? Kids don't catch covid at school, they catch it at home, that's why they must return to the classroom!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

ya “sue the school” sure lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Don't laugh at me. I'm very vulnerable right now because I've had covid 5 times and cannot cry

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
here I’ll phrase it slightly differently

you should be able to find the superintendents house as a matter of public record.

to ya know go apologize for not opening hard enough

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Is anyone else noticing a greater reluctance to close schools and workplaces for inclement weather?

Where I live, local meteorologists have predicted heavy rain with potential flooding and even tornadoes this morning. Right now the local traffic reporter is advising people to delay their commute if possible. I had expected my office to send out a closure/delayed opening notice but I'm hearing crickets.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with fighting remote work as much as possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

legsarerequired posted:

Is anyone else noticing a greater reluctance to close schools and workplaces for inclement weather?

Where I live, local meteorologists have predicted heavy rain with potential flooding and even tornadoes this morning. Right now the local traffic reporter is advising people to delay their commute if possible. I had expected my office to send out a closure/delayed opening notice but I'm hearing crickets.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with fighting remote work as much as possible.

life is cheap and it's getting cheaper

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
at the job i just quit i was told they wouldn't approve me working remotely because "other people would notice you are remote and ask to be remote as well" in which my response was "let them?"

the next day they instead rolled back their mask mandates and i put in my two weeks

mags
May 30, 2008

my last day there a woman, who brought covid into the office symptomatically only after 5 days of being home and gave me and my family covid, giving my MIL double pneumonia, laughed at my N95 so i just walked out before my two weeks was up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's very important for everyone to understand anything good about the pandemic was temporary. even if it has been going on for 2 years and it's obvious we could just have it that way forever

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mags posted:

my last day there a woman, who brought covid into the office symptomatically only after 5 days of being home and gave me and my family covid, giving my MIL double pneumonia, laughed at my N95 so i just walked out before my two weeks was up.

this isnt directed at you necessarily but:

the 2 week notice thing is bogus you absolutely do not have to give your lovely employer 2 weeks

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jingoro posted:

Someone earlier in the thread was talking about Depression era folks stashing money everywhere. I think I'm going to permanently be a PPE squirrel from now on.

i actually do this, both with small amounts of cash and ppe. i have a box of auras stashed in my filing cabinet. gas money & a dollar in quarters stashed in my work door badge holder. pretty sure it stems from a childhood friend's hippy mom telling me to stash payphone money in my bra way back in the day.

soon ill have to figure out how to stash a full face respirator + filters at work but i have a whole rear end locking filing cabinet in the digital age so i should be able to pull it off

Runaway Trashbot
Mar 13, 2022

by Games Forum
It's a lot of fun being the only person wearing a mask at work

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

not_superiority posted:

i actually do this, both with small amounts of cash and ppe. i have a box of auras stashed in my filing cabinet. gas money & a dollar in quarters stashed in my work door badge holder. pretty sure it stems from a childhood friend's hippy mom telling me to stash payphone money in my bra way back in the day.

soon ill have to figure out how to stash a full face respirator + filters at work but i have a whole rear end locking filing cabinet in the digital age so i should be able to pull it off

I keep my 3M respirator in the car, and my Honeywell at home

I always carry around a box of N95s in my bag, another box in the car, and multiple dozens of masks in a chest-drawer at home

and that's on top of maybe two-dozen different ear savers, plus a whole bag full of cloth masks from when I used them in Apr-Jun 2020 because nothing else was available and I haven't the heart to let go of just yet

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

legsarerequired posted:

I didn't see that in the northeast this winter. Snow storms that can make travel difficult are dangerous to young lives unlike covid!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

not_superiority posted:

The problem with stashing them at work is that you'd need to actually enter the work to get it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep my 3M respirator in the car, and my Honeywell at home

I always carry around a box of N95s in my bag, another box in the car, and multiple dozens of masks in a chest-drawer at home

and that's on top of maybe two-dozen different ear savers, plus a whole bag full of cloth masks from when I used them in Apr-Jun 2020 because nothing else was available and I haven't the heart to let go of just yet

I have 2 elastomerics at home and a bunch of filters, probably about 150 KF-94s in various places, including a bunch in my car, and a couple in my lunch box. I also have a hodge podge of other masks of questionable origin from earlier all over my apartment, plus a big bag of cloth masks that I got on clearance, and my roommate uses to clean the litter box.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

T-Paine posted:

I wish more parents would file against the department for more covid mitigation, but from what I'm seeing it's the other way around.

Edit: To be absolutely clear, I agree with you. I just wish more parents would raise their voice about this because that's the only way to get the schools to do anything about it, in my experience.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

I wish more parents would file against the department for more covid mitigation, but from what I'm seeing it's the other way around.

yeah it's like The Best lack all conviction, while The Worst are full of passionate intensity.

mags
May 30, 2008

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

this isnt directed at you necessarily but:

the 2 week notice thing is bogus you absolutely do not have to give your lovely employer 2 weeks

yr right, gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

Edit: To be absolutely clear, I agree with you. I just wish more parents would raise their voice about this because that's the only way to get the schools to do anything about it, in my experience.

Didn't the teachers unions basically get told to go gently caress themselves when they tried to agitate for better protections?