Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kingturnip posted:

* - the person who left was pretty useless, and combined with this with a near-pathological inability to actually tell anyone how she was getting on. Towards the end of her time with us, as we became aware of the scope of how bad her work was, Line Management became excruciating because I'd give her opportunities to share anything she wanted to talk about, ask open questions about her work - knowing full well that she was really struggling to do anything of any quality - and get "yeah, it's fine" as a response to almost every question.

This sounds a lot like uncontrolled ADHD to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People often forget Churchill was heavily involved in WW1 as well... his record in that war was distinctly mixed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pistol_Pete posted:

People often forget Churchill was heavily involved in WW1 as well... his record in that war was distinctly mixed.

Wasn't there a bit in the interwar years where Churchill thought/suggested using tanks on striking workers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was a bit where he sent tanks and artillery to Glasgow and the bit where he suggested shooting all the striking Welsh.

Not much worse than Blunkett's record as home sec.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

Wasn't there a bit in the interwar years where Churchill thought/suggested using tanks on striking workers?

Yes, he was a oval office.

Much like BoJo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s all very well hoping Boris gets himself blown up in a warzone, but if that happens we run the very real risk of getting a giant statue to Boris Johnson, Martyr for European Democracy and Hero of Ukraine and I think we need to ask if that’s a risk we’re willing to take.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Churchill was the kind of guy who had a million ideas a minute and those ideas ran the gamut from useful to asinine to downright monstrous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll take a chance on the worlds shortest statue to museum with a display providing the context for the watermelon bummer comments pipeline.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Churchill regularly lands just underneath Cromwell in Ireland's most loathed historical figures as well

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

It’s all very well hoping Boris gets himself blown up in a warzone, but if that happens we run the very real risk of getting a giant statue to Boris Johnson, Martyr for European Democracy and Hero of Ukraine and I think we need to ask if that’s a risk we’re willing to take.

Go for it, we can then give it the Colston treatment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Churchill regularly lands just underneath Cromwell in Ireland's most loathed historical figures as well

I was reading about his WW1 service where after experiencing a year on the frontlines he returned the commons to give a passionate speech on the necessity of drafting the Irish.

Powerful levels of "I saw war and it was hell.... send the shamrock shaggers into it"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I was reading about his WW1 service where after experiencing a year on the frontlines he returned the commons to give a passionate speech on the necessity of drafting the Irish.

Powerful levels of "I saw war and it was hell.... send the shamrock shaggers into it"

And then "let's send those PTSDed squaddie fuckups into Ireland to rape, murder, burn the cities down and then shoot the firemen trying to extinguish the flames, that should settle Paddy down". Note: Paddy did not settle down

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Charles II should get a lot more poo poo for "everything's back to normal so Catholics can own land again" *transfers land to family members and loyal generals who happen to be Catholic, leaves everyone else starving in Connacht*

That's not what anyone meant by resolving the issue charles you oval office.

He should also get a lot more poo poo for setting up the Royal African Company so that his idle cousins could make a profit from slavery.

Just a lot more poo poo in general.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

That's me told!

Kokoro Wish posted:

"Accidentally", yes.
that was a typo, they meant to say "Roman"

I am at work, having dropped my daughter at the nursery this morning. I have developed a sniffle & a slight tickly cough since coming in. That means that I have to go pull my daughter out of nursery, go get a Covid test, try to work out with my partner how we're both gonna manage work and childcare, and try to convince my bosses that actually I will not be coming in to work & will need to move my teaching online until the test comes back (with the interesting side effect that I'm not sure whether contacting the students & actually setting up the online sessions is covered by the current action short of a strike so will have to pass that one up the chain too).

Posting about it because (a)there's about to be a lecture right across the hall so I'm waiting in my office until I don't have to walk through a crowded hallway to leave, & (b)jfc it is so loving annoying that we have decided to structure our society around pretending Covid doesn't exist. The right thing to do has been deliberately made more difficult, and I am specifically incentivised to act irresponsibly & risk passing passing a deadly disease on to all of my students (who are about to go home to their families) & an entire nursery full of infants. Yes it's almost certainly just a little sniffle, that doesn't justify potentially killing people, wtf is wrong with a society that doesn't recognise this. Argh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

And then "let's send those PTSDed squaddie fuckups into Ireland to rape, murder, burn the cities down and then shoot the firemen trying to extinguish the flames, that should settle Paddy down". Note: Paddy did not settle down

Clearly just didn't extinguish the flames hard enough

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You mean to tell me the British Empire was not a benign-at-worst force for good? But Michael Gove told me we're the good guys.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Borrovan posted:

That's me told!

that was a typo, they meant to say "Roman"

I am at work, having dropped my daughter at the nursery this morning. I have developed a sniffle & a slight tickly cough since coming in. That means that I have to go pull my daughter out of nursery, go get a Covid test, try to work out with my partner how we're both gonna manage work and childcare, and try to convince my bosses that actually I will not be coming in to work & will need to move my teaching online until the test comes back (with the interesting side effect that I'm not sure whether contacting the students & actually setting up the online sessions is covered by the current action short of a strike so will have to pass that one up the chain too).

Posting about it because (a)there's about to be a lecture right across the hall so I'm waiting in my office until I don't have to walk through a crowded hallway to leave, & (b)jfc it is so loving annoying that we have decided to structure our society around pretending Covid doesn't exist. The right thing to do has been deliberately made more difficult, and I am specifically incentivised to act irresponsibly & risk passing passing a deadly disease on to all of my students (who are about to go home to their families) & an entire nursery full of infants. Yes it's almost certainly just a little sniffle, that doesn't justify potentially killing people, wtf is wrong with a society that doesn't recognise this. Argh.

If you have a sniffle and a cough isn't it worth doing a quick LFT just to check before announcing that you're not coming to work and need to rework all your childcare arrangements?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Charles II should get a lot more poo poo for "everything's back to normal so Catholics can own land again" *transfers land to family members and loyal generals who happen to be Catholic, leaves everyone else starving in Connacht*

Especially as by doing so he literally invented the Tories. :argh:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Josef bugman posted:

He sent in a black and tan unit of irregulars first, who arrived in Wales and reported that they weren't going to do poo poo. Then he called up Franco and Mussolini to help set up an explicitly fascist subdivision of the paramilitary Organisation for Maintenance of Supplies, led by avowed fascist and former Tory rotha linton-orman, since both she and Churchill considered Mosely "basically a communist". After beating AJ Cook into a hospital bed they were able to get the union leadership to stand down, starting with nottingha, and quietly accept that this would never happen again.

Those events were the compromise position. Churchill wanted tanks, guns, and to have declared fascists and falangists take official roles in the police and OMS, which somehow most Tories did not see ending too well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yet another 'the Met is a mafia with slightly more expensive uniforms' news story:

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1506239276094165002?s=21

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Curious to see how Labour Friends of the Police react to these shocking smears against our lovable heroes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Yet another 'the Met is a mafia with slightly more expensive uniforms' news story:

It's the follow-up that has the more important part: over 2000 warrant cards are missing. That's 2000 potential fake coppers on the street.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jedit posted:

It's the follow-up that has the more important part: over 2000 warrant cards are missing. That's 2000 potential fake coppers on the street.

Is that any worse than 2000 actual coppers on the street?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

Is that any worse than 2000 actual coppers on the street?

Yes. ACAB, but not all coppers are Wayne Couzens. And if there are fake coppers out there in that number, you can't trust the system even to the small degree that you can now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are those four coppers who molested that 15 year old girl still on the force?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Whenever I read the phrase 'Labour friends of the police' I can't help but associate it with that KRS-One parody :siren: woop woop.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

I don't know the answer, yet I do know the answer. As do you, I suspect.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

More expensive? Actual mafiosos wear like fancy Italian suits. These are bargain basement mafia.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spangly A posted:

He sent in a black and tan unit of irregulars first, who arrived in Wales and reported that they weren't going to do poo poo. Then he called up Franco and Mussolini to help set up an explicitly fascist subdivision of the paramilitary Organisation for Maintenance of Supplies, led by avowed fascist and former Tory rotha linton-orman, since both she and Churchill considered Mosely "basically a communist". After beating AJ Cook into a hospital bed they were able to get the union leadership to stand down, starting with nottingha, and quietly accept that this would never happen again.

Those events were the compromise position. Churchill wanted tanks, guns, and to have declared fascists and falangists take official roles in the police and OMS, which somehow most Tories did not see ending too well.

Ummmm can we have a cite on this? Franco isn't even chief Spanish nationalist leader until like 1937. This is Churchill's wilderness years when he isn't in charge of poo poo. Which strike are you talking about here?

If you want Churchill and tanks, people usually reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_George_Square though that wasn't just his idea (he was War Secretary at the time).

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 22, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:bisonyes:

feedmegin posted:

More expensive? Actual mafiosos wear like fancy Italian suits. These are bargain basement mafia.
Nowadays you're probably looking for someone with a knockoff Adidas tracksuit and a genuine Rolex wristwatch. (Although that does depend a lot on which mafia. If you want to buy an NLAW from the boot of a Saab in a few months time definitely though.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Meanwhile, there's a straight-up genocide-by-starvation happening in Afghanistan:

https://twitter.com/hyderabbasi/status/1506026425400320002?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Christ

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Less expensive uniforms, surely? e; fb

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Ummmm can we have a cite on this? Franco isn't even chief Spanish nationalist leader until like 1937. This is Churchill's wilderness years when he isn't in charge of poo poo. Which strike are you talking about here?

If you want Churchill and tanks, people usually reference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_George_Square though that wasn't just his idea (he was War Secretary at the time).

When he was Home Secretary he called in the Scots Guards and Royal Artillery to deal with the Siege of Sidney Street, although he fervently denied actually having done so when there was a popular backlash against the overkill involved - and also proudly boasted that he commanded the Fire Brigade not extinguish the fire set in the battle until it had destroyed a dozen homes.

He also did what was possibly one of the very first examples of the Cameron Manoeuvre (no, not that one), claiming several bystanders came up to him to blame the situation on Russian immigration and demand it be clamped down. While it's not *impossible*, the only people he was likely to have been talking to would have been uniformed in one way or another which rather changes the story.

(It's also alleged, but probably an urban legend, that at least one round from the battle went just over his head - there's a fairly famous bit of newsreel that *seems* to show it hitting the wall near him but this is probably just dust or some other kind of artefact on the film itself, and I've no doubt at all that he'd never have loving shut up about it if it had actually come that close to him)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, you'd think someone who went to town on the monarchy and established a republic might be, on balance, be pretty cool, but... no.

I know Catholics and Protestants killing each other hasn't exactly gone away*, but you sometimes forget quite how much, back in the early days of the reformation, they despised each other, and also how (sometimes) genuinely held those religious beliefs actually were, up to the point that they would literally kill and die for them.

*In the context of the twentieth century I also think it's fair to say violence between the two groups isn't exactly about religious belief anymore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He's not going to help them, and he's not going to help us when the same tweet about us goes out next year.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

feedmegin posted:

You know I went looking through my saved AJ Cook sources and I can't work out whst the hell I'm referencing, and there's no falangist organisation it could have been that existed before '31

I might be confusing this with one of the last red cydeside radicals but I'll need to think of who. The Mussolini/oms link I'm sure I'm right about but all I can find is Churchill gushing over how powerful and sexy Mussolini is when he's in Rome in January 27

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

You know I went looking through my saved AJ Cook sources and I can't work out whst the hell I'm referencing, and there's no falangist organisation it could have been that existed before '31

I might be confusing this with one of the last red cydeside radicals but I'll need to think of who. The Mussolini/oms link I'm sure I'm right about but all I can find is Churchill gushing over how powerful and sexy Mussolini is when he's in Rome in January 27

Quite possible on the Spanish front you could've been thinking of Primo de Rivera, who was Spanish dictator in the 20s, & whose kid founded the Falange?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

In the context of the twentieth century I also think it's fair to say violence between the two groups isn't exactly about religious belief anymore.
I'm not sure it ever was, at least from the point in time where you have a bunch of conspiracy rags going on about "unmask the enemy, the Protestant, allied with the Jew and the Freemason against the Catholic" or its equivalent of Jesuit Vatican assassins.

That Spiderman meme but they're all wearing mitres and klan hoods and there's a bunch of corpses on the ground.

Spangly A posted:

gushing over how powerful and sexy Mussolini is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

A recent Freedom of Information request by the Canary disclosed that the Met Police strip-searched 172,000 people in the past five years, including 9,000 under 18 and 2,000 under 16. or, to put it another way, the Met strip-searched an average of 94 people a day since 2017, including five under-eighteens and one under-sixteen.

Child molestation is a regular fact of life in the Met, and I see no reason why these fine officers should be unduly persecuted for carrying out the regular duties expected of their office.