Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Willis and Pickett both showed enough at the combine to warrant a top 15 pick and they'd both be borderline first rounders if not solidly there most years. Rookie contracts and dead cap from cutting them/trading them are so much more forgiving. Plus if you suck you got Stroud and Young next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

I STILL DON"T UNDERSTAND MATT CORRAL LOVE WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

Some people just want some funslingin’.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

I think Willis and Pickett both showed enough at the combine to warrant a top 15 pick and they'd both be borderline first rounders if not solidly there most years. Rookie contracts and dead cap from cutting them/trading them are so much more forgiving. Plus if you suck you got Stroud and Young next year.

oh yeah cj stroud, totally yeah

what school does he go to again?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doltos posted:

I STILL DON"T UNDERSTAND MATT CORRAL LOVE WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

It is a little confusing but it speaks to the overall weakness of this class. What people like about him: his overall accuracy is pretty good, especially the fact that he cut his interceptions all the way down to 5 this year (from 14 last year). He throws a lot of good balls. He's got one of the best deep balls in the class. He has mobility, it's not Malik Willis level but he's much more athletic than a lot of the other QBs in this class and can tote the rock a bit. I don't think he'd do designed runs in the NFL like he does at Ole Miss but he'd be a strong scrambler. He's very good at zone reads and RPOs and even uses his eyes to look off defenders sometimes.

From all reports he's also an excellent leader.

Some bad parts: pretty small at 6 foot, 200 lbs, doesn't have a huge arm, inconsistent footwork and throwing mechanics, played in a pretty unusual kind of spread offense at Ole Miss. He throws up a decent amount of prayer balls on the sidelines, and his decision-making can be suspect. Did so much easy read stuff in college you wonder how well he can read the entire field at the NFL level.

Personally I like him, but not that much. Honestly I am going more and more to the idea that Malik Willis is the only QB in this class who should be (not will be) a first rounder. Corral should be second or third round. Toolsy quarterbacks are just incredibly hot right now, everyone wants the next Josh Allen/Lamar Jackson/Patrick Mahomes. And you have to think about drafting these QBs that don't have those tools, are they really going to allow you to compete for super bowls? Low ceiling guys just don't seem like they are going to really do it, even if they are purported to have a high floor.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fast cars loose anus posted:

The yearly cycle of teams talking themselves into QBs they'd never have even bothered looking at before the third round in August is probably my favorite draft storyline

uh this is year 6 of Rhule trying to get pickett

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

It is a little confusing but it speaks to the overall weakness of this class. What people like about him: his overall accuracy is pretty good, especially the fact that he cut his interceptions all the way down to 5 this year (from 14 last year). He throws a lot of good balls. He's got one of the best deep balls in the class. He has mobility, it's not Malik Willis level but he's much more athletic than a lot of the other QBs in this class and can tote the rock a bit. I don't think he'd do designed runs in the NFL like he does at Ole Miss but he'd be a strong scrambler. He's very good at zone reads and RPOs and even uses his eyes to look off defenders sometimes.

From all reports he's also an excellent leader.

I completely disagree with this. His deep ball accuracy sucks rear end, it's his weakest point. His strength is his super quick release. When he doesn't have that he front foot passes everything and you get crappy wide open passes that just get there because of Lane Kiffin's offense. If we want to talk high school offenses with Willis I think what Ole Miss was pulling this year almost eclipses it. Tons of gimmick routes and double moves in a full RPO spread.

He will die if he tries to do the designed runs they did in Ole Miss. He's not that athletic. His injuries aren't that bad so it's not like he's sapped of it. I don't see him outrunning anyone in the NFL and definitely not getting the easy slam dunk passes Kiffin was setting up for him.

Also he has some weird history re: being a leader. He got slugged by Wayne Gretzky's kid and transferred prep schools. Luckily that doesn't matter that much, it's just funny that it's mentioned. He strikes me as a Baker Mayfield type leader. All flash and fire to make up for sucking poo poo on the field.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Also he has some weird history re: being a leader. He got slugged by Wayne Gretzky's kid and transferred prep schools. Luckily that doesn't matter that much, it's just funny that it's mentioned. He strikes me as a Baker Mayfield type leader. All flash and fire to make up for sucking poo poo on the field.

He's a lot like Baker in more ways than that too I think. He can run a little better but they're around the same height and weight. They both struggle with touch (I think Corral's true 'deep' passes where his guy is behind the defense and he lofts it up are good, but too often he only has one throwing speed which is as hard as he can). Here's the first result I looked at which includes several nice deep passes, all from last year (2020 season). You can see in a lot of these he could probably put better touch on the ball, he does a lot of very flat deep throws but if they're on target then I'm not gonna complain too much about it. And there are a couple decent ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJ6titP6tQ

And yeah I did mention he's not gonna get designed runs in the NFL. Even in college he looks tiny doing that and perpetually on the verge of getting absolutely destroyed. He can scramble though. Weird system as well, too many easy or even predetermined reads. At least with those easy reads he usually hits them though.

I can see why he's got a place in the top 5/10 this year, I'd take him over Sam Howell and Carson Strong, maybe even Desmon Ridder although I need to look at him a bit more. It really is a weak year, some posters have tried to push back on that but it's absolutely true in my mind. Willis is really the only guy I like at the top level and even he is a massive question mark and depends so much on future development. Last year's rookie class, as much as they ended up disappointing for the most part in their rookie seasons, was still way more promising than thsi one.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He definitely looks small.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope eight quarterbacks go in the first round.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is Kyle Trask a better prospect than any of these guys?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Ranking upside:

Willis
Ridder
Corral
Strong
Pickett
Howell

Ranking floor:
Pickett
Corral
Ridder
Strong
Howell
Willis

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Now that there's been a shuffling around of starting QBs it seems like there are only a few teams that intend to upgrade at QB and some of them might not want to do it in the first round.

Let's see: Falcons if they don't trust Mariota. Seahawks probably. Saints maybe, even if they did give Winston two years. Panthers probably. Texans maybe depending on what they think of Mills. Steelers might take a shot? And then the Lions might do it.

So 7 teams total but some of those probably will pass, at least on day 1 and 2. It'll actually be really interesting to see who goes for it in the first round and how long these QBs last.

wandler20 posted:

Kyle Trask is garbage but your question is kinda hard to answer, really I'm not sure cause I haven't thoroughly looked at all those guys. He's definitely worse than the top three or four I'd say, and if I had to guess he's either the last or second to last of those guys.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

wandler20 posted:

Upside:
Willis
Ridder
Strong
Pickett
Corral
Zappe
Howell

Floor:
Pickett
Ridder
Willis
Corral
Zappe
Strong
Howell

I put Trask above Howell on upside and above Strong on Floor. He’s sort of indistinguishable from Corral as a prospect but more limited.

Re: Corral, I just look at him and see Goff or Minshew at this point. You can win games with them, but they had better have a hell of a cast around them. It’s fundamentally correct that he’s at his best with short field and intermediate throws where the ball goes out faster than the defense can read where he has a marginal edge. I don’t think it’s fair to say his deep accuracy sucks to a point of being unworkable, but he’s totally a dude who pushes the ball to the side or long thinking he has a big arm when really he just has the effect of having high velocity as a result of having average velocity on a lightning release. It makes him look like he sometimes hits dudes in stride, but the reality is that he’s never shown he can consistently put a ball on a guy deep with touch. I still think this translates to a solid floor where he can have a career as a backup at worst just from executing quick game concepts wel.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5u9RcCxPs

Kenny Pickett pro day.

I think my comp for him is Daniel Jones. That just feels right to me. Jones ended up being a better quarterback than I expected, and Pickett has a lot of those same traits. But both are still essentially limited.

e: also apparently he an 'alpha'. Thanks announcer guys. That's awesome

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1506074153610268680

This poo poo is so funny to me exclusively because of Alex Smith being tinyhands with his 9 1/8" hands

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tom brady is 9⅜

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intruder posted:

This poo poo is so funny to me exclusively because of Alex Smith being tinyhands with his 9 1/8" hands

Gotta do your hand stretches every day :eng101: I bet he can put another eighth on at least with frequent practice and a can-do attitude!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

If I'm Kenny Pickett I'm just never cutting my fingernails ever again. Every time they re-measure your hands, they're longer. *taps head*

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Plus that way you can discreetly deflate your footballs yourself, virtually guaranteeing you a Super Bowl appearance

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

If I'm Kenny Pickett I'm just never cutting my fingernails ever again. Every time they re-measure your hands, they're longer. *taps head*

Get this guy some clients because this is some top quality out of the box thinking

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

Get this guy some clients because this is some top quality out of the box thinking

Only a matter of time before TFF produced a Jerry Maguire.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Play posted:

Gotta do your hand stretches every day :eng101: I bet he can put another eighth on at least with frequent practice and a can-do attitude!

Tbh if the main thing standing between me and millions of dollars was “a few centimeters of hand size” I would be googling hosed up medieval torture devices on the flight home from the combine

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Play posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5u9RcCxPs

Kenny Pickett pro day.

I think my comp for him is Daniel Jones. That just feels right to me. Jones ended up being a better quarterback than I expected, and Pickett has a lot of those same traits. But both are still essentially limited.

e: also apparently he an 'alpha'. Thanks announcer guys. That's awesome

Someone said he plays like he’s had too much coffee on most of his tape, and I can’t get that out of my head. He calmed down senior year, but his constant paranoia in the pocket and stepping up/releasing reminds me a lot of Clausen. Both had the weird “gonna hoon this one for no reason” and got bailed out by insanely solid receivers in their career years.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Someone said he plays like he’s had too much coffee on most of his tape, and I can’t get that out of my head. He calmed down senior year, but his constant paranoia in the pocket and stepping up/releasing reminds me a lot of Clausen. Both had the weird “gonna hoon this one for no reason” and got bailed out by insanely solid receivers in their career years.

drat no wonder the Panthers are so high on him

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am warming up to the idea of Ridder in the second or Strong in the fourth.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1506074153610268680

Made me look up Daniel Jones who enjoys a good fumble now and then and his hands are 9 3/4".

Also reminded me of mockdraftable comparisons and I could fall into a hole remembering random guys for hours looking at these. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/daniel-jones-2019 #1 comp: Tanner Lee, 2 Mac Jones, 3 Josh Allen, 4 Zach Mettenberger. Having watched all of these players I don't think there is absolutely no meaningful comparison to draw between them but it's fun to try to imagine.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Grittybeard posted:

Made me look up Daniel Jones who enjoys a good fumble now and then and his hands are 9 3/4".

Also reminded me of mockdraftable comparisons and I could fall into a hole remembering random guys for hours looking at these. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/daniel-jones-2019 #1 comp: Tanner Lee, 2 Mac Jones, 3 Josh Allen, 4 Zach Mettenberger. Having watched all of these players I don't think there is absolutely no meaningful comparison to draw between them but it's fun to try to imagine.

No, no, hold on. If I get a few beers in me, I could absolutely ramble about how Mac Jones and Josh Allen are copies of each other.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Woozie66 posted:

No, no, hold on. If I get a few beers in me, I could absolutely ramble about how Mac Jones and Josh Allen are copies of each other.

I mean it's the lowest floor highest ceiling guy vs the highest floor lowest ceiling prospect. That poo poo averages out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Woozie66 posted:

Huh, athletically they're a lot closer then I expected. (Guessing Pro-days are pretty generous though!)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Huh, athletically they're a lot closer then I expected. (Guessing Pro-days are pretty generous though!)

In retrospect, we should have known what a peak athlete Mac Jones is.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I always thought Lamar Jackson was the closest comp for McCorkle

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

In retrospect, we should have known what a peak athlete Mac Jones is.

Makes sense, Mac's moving so fast everyone else looks like they're in slow motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8wtCPKgkQ

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheGreyGhost posted:

Re: Corral, I just look at him and see Goff

Breaking: TGG calls Corral a #1 overall pick. :v:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Nosre posted:

I always thought Lamar Jackson was the closest comp for McCorkle

It's true, you've said it before

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Runs like Lamar, throws like Josh. Mac's the complete package.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what's the deal making fun of that guy. he would have won roty if there hadn't been any great rookies

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kiper thinks the Bengals are replacing Ogunjobi, a pass rushing three technique, with a nose tackle at pick 31. DJ Reader is under contract until 2024.

I have to admit a part of me thought that the national media folks would actually have a basic understanding of our players after we made it to the superbowl. Naive, I know.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cavauro posted:

what's the deal making fun of that guy. he would have won roty if there hadn't been any great rookies
His name is McCorkle and he looks like this. HTH

Play
Apr 25, 2006

McCorkle having a longer wingspan than Josh Allen but shorter arms is really confusing me. I guess he's just... broad? Like, in the middle

I think the Pats drafted Mac based purely on the fact that without his shirt he looks a lot like Brady. except even more slovenly

i mean poo poo I look like a way better athlete than this dude. I'm not, but still

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Breaking: TGG calls Corral a #1 overall pick. :v:

Honestly, as meh as this QB class is, Ridder and Willis at a minimum challenge for 1 that year. Bad QB drafts are always funny but like:

Goff
Wentz
Lynch
Hack
Kessler
Cook

People seriously underestimate the reaching for QBs in ‘16. Prospect Wentz legitimately could’ve gone 1 because Goff showed solid air raid play with exactly average nfl physical talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

An NFL player that looks like a goon who barfed on himself at the goonmeet is not usually the best look