Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kitten emergency posted:

Yeah outside of the side of my car falling off because it ran into a sign the software is my biggest gripe about the MME. If it wouldn’t be financially stupid to do so I’d really think about selling it for a Tesla or something :/

It isn't/wasn't a deal breaker for me but definitely a disappointment. I guess at least mine did get in infotainment update while I had it but that was the only update. They could have pushed the update with the improved charging curve but are too chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m half jokingly planning a 1200 mile (each way) trip this holiday to visit my girlfriend’s parents with her rather than have her drive her 4Runner and spend god knows how much in gas. ABRP says (today) it’d take just over 19 hours with with 2 hours of charging across 6 stops. Assuming those charging stations are legit, that doesn’t sound bad at all.

This is about 900 miles in 15 hrs with 5 charging stops which isn't bad. I could have shaved about 90 minutes off, but I fiddled with the route a bit, as ABRP wanted to route me across the DCFC void of SE Kansas to the Oklahoma Panhandle with basically no room for error if the charger on the other end was down.

Otherwise, plenty of chargers along I-40. The problem comes in where I'm going. There's one DCFC in that entire corner of the state and just a handful of public L2 chargers. We've got some driving around planned, so I'm hoping to scrape by, but we'll see.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m half jokingly planning a 1200 mile (each way) trip this holiday to visit my girlfriend’s parents with her rather than have her drive her 4Runner and spend god knows how much in gas. ABRP says (today) it’d take just over 19 hours with with 2 hours of charging across 6 stops. Assuming those charging stations are legit, that doesn’t sound bad at all.

I road tripped to Iowa from NV when I had my Mach and I would have loved to have taken it but it added way too much time so I just took my Accord.

ABRP says 1883 miles, 37h27m with 16 charges totaling 8h22m for the Mach.

1717 miles, 29h8m with 13 charges totaling 4h7m for a Model 3 Performance.

Out of curiosity:
1838 miles, 31h53m with 16 charges totaling 3h51m for a Hyundai Ioniq 5 LR AWD.

The Hyundai makes up a lot of time with its faster charging but it can't overcome the EA charging wasteland that is I-80 through Wyoming. You have to drop down to 70 through CO which is where the extra mileage comes from.

One of the road trips I did do in it, to the Oregon coast:

Mach: 637 miles 12h48m 3 charges of 1h58m
Tesla: 593 miles 10h55m 4 charges of 48m
Hyundai: 637 miles 11h45m 3 charges of 55m

There's actually a route the Tesla can take that's 41 minutes quicker but we've driven that route in an ICE and you spend so much time on 2 lane highways full of logging trucks that it's pretty unpleasant.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 22, 2022

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

It isn't/wasn't a deal breaker for me but definitely a disappointment. I guess at least mine did get in infotainment update while I had it but that was the only update. They could have pushed the update with the improved charging curve but are too chicken.

I have to wonder how much of this is due to Ford wanting people to get the 2022 software update by buying a 2022 model or whatever. The idea of making people buy a new car to get the new features is pretty deeply ingrained in the automotive industry and I imagine that the concept of planned obsolesce via software updates (or lack thereof) is probably pretty attractive to the bean counters.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

"We'll engineer and market it as having the ability to get significant OTA updates like Tesla does but then we'll never actually do it" is definitely something I can see being part of Ford's product strategy.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
And it'll be a lot harder to overcome a reputation of "oh, they won't update their cars OTA" than if they'd made a token effort for their first big EV.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Honestly it’s hard to separate incompetence from malice in this case so really just pick whatever.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I am really hoping Kia doesn't pull the same thing. There are a few annoying software issues with the EV6 that need fixing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Antillie posted:

I have to wonder how much of this is due to Ford wanting people to get the 2022 software update by buying a 2022 model or whatever. The idea of making people buy a new car to get the new features is pretty deeply ingrained in the automotive industry and I imagine that the concept of planned obsolesce via software updates (or lack thereof) is probably pretty attractive to the bean counters.

I heard on NPR that a lot of Ford cars are being stuck with SYNC 3 instead of 4 because of the chip shortages. So it's probably a hardware limitation.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Antillie posted:

Most of the recent updates have been to catch the 2021s up to the 2022s. For example the Apple Maps thing requires the 2.3.0 update which was released to early builds in February but wasn't needed for the newer cars. The updates to enable BlueCruise on the older cars are going out now too.

There are some 21s stuck on an old version but Ford says a fix for that is coming soon.

Meanwhile it's kind of funny to see the 22 owners post online that they "haven't gotten any updates". But that's because all the updates they already had from the factory and everything Ford has been focused on the last 6-8 months has been bringing every 21 car to the same level.

Speleothing posted:

I heard on NPR that a lot of Ford cars are being stuck with SYNC 3 instead of 4 because of the chip shortages. So it's probably a hardware limitation.

Sync3 can't be updated to Sync4. It never could. It's only a feature on the newest vehicles (MachE, F150, Bronco). Maybe NPR was saying that Ford won't be rolling out Sync4 to more models as fast as they wanted?

But Sync4 allows over the air updates to itself AND to car systems like Tesla can do. So Ford can remotely change things like enabling hands free driving to a car that didn't have it when it was built. Long term they say they will keep pushing updates to Sync4 cars like Tesla does.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kitten emergency posted:

Honestly it’s hard to separate incompetence from malice in this case so really just pick whatever.

this is stupid, it's absolutely incompetence. have you seen Ford's ICE product launches?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Zero One posted:

Most of the recent updates have been to catch the 2021s up to the 2022s. For example the Apple Maps thing requires the 2.3.0 update which was released to early builds in February but wasn't needed for the newer cars. The updates to enable BlueCruise on the older cars are going out now too.

There are some 21s stuck on an old version but Ford says a fix for that is coming soon.

Meanwhile it's kind of funny to see the 22 owners post online that they "haven't gotten any updates". But that's because all the updates they already had from the factory and everything Ford has been focused on the last 6-8 months has been bringing every 21 car to the same level.

Sync3 can't be updated to Sync4. It never could. It's only a feature on the newest vehicles (MachE, F150, Bronco). Maybe NPR was saying that Ford won't be rolling out Sync4 to more models as fast as they wanted?

But Sync4 allows over the air updates to itself AND to car systems like Tesla can do. So Ford can remotely change things like enabling hands free driving to a car that didn't have it when it was built. Long term they say they will keep pushing updates to Sync4 cars like Tesla does.

Except that Ford has also announced they are moving from Sync to Android Automotive in 2023. I'm personally not optimistic that 2021-2022 Mach-Es will be upgraded to Android Automotive, actually, I think there is a good chance that 2023 Mach-Es are delivered with Sync4, 2024s get Android Automotive and the whole system gets fractured with Sync4 abandoned.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

This actually points to my greatest concern for OTA updates for cars going forward. I really wonder how sustainable its going to be.

At the moment Tesla has a relatively small fleet of vehicles consisting of only four mainstream models with a limited number of trim levels. But Ford will theoretically one day have a far larger fleet with 10+ models with 50+ trim levels between them. I mean, look at how many F150 trims there are. At what point do you stop providing updates for a model that hasn't been made for years. Or for older hardware revisions of a particular model? Tesla has the beginnings of this issue with the newer Ryzen based cars vs the older Atom based ones.

At some point the motivation to push people to buy a new car by stopping software updates to older ones is going to get pretty strong. Or at the very least the financial incentive to support the last ~50,000 make X vehicles still on the road from 10 years back with that older CPU just won't be there vs supporting the 300,000+ current model year ones that were just sold. We see this already in the tech world with the way Apple just drops older iPhones off a cliff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Antillie posted:

We see this already in the tech world with the way Apple just drops older iPhones off a cliff.

This is what they’ll do with cars. Keep them running from a regulatory standpoint but gently caress everything else, buy a new car if you want the new OS.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Some even older than that. For instance on the Maverick only the Lariat w/ Luxury Package gets true Sync 3. Every other trim gets what's essentially an improved Sync 2 radio (from Euro Fiestas) running Sync 3-ish software. Some enterprising modders have already figured out how to mostly get a Sync 4 radio working.

darnon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

Except that Ford has also announced they are moving from Sync to Android Automotive in 2023. I'm personally not optimistic that 2021-2022 Mach-Es will be upgraded to Android Automotive, actually, I think there is a good chance that 2023 Mach-Es are delivered with Sync4, 2024s get Android Automotive and the whole system gets fractured with Sync4 abandoned.

They aren’t switching to Android auto, they’re switching the backend from QNX to Android. They will still run Sync, just a version written for Android.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

EV buying update: I might just get the Bolt and a Mach E.

If you can't choose, pick both?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They aren’t switching to Android auto, they’re switching the backend from QNX to Android. They will still run Sync, just a version written for Android.

Unclear, they announced it will have full support for Android for Auto apps and Google services including the Play Store for Android Automative. They may layer an Sync like interface on it, but adding app and Google services in is likely going to be a fairly significant departure.

Also not quite clear that they are completely abandoning QNX, Android Automotive can run on top of QNX.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 22, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cross posting from one of the Ukraine themed threads

https://twitter.com/vicjkim/status/1505394345393864705

"ecologically clean killing machine", lol

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I think there is something to be said for a silent vehicle in an urban combat environment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Antillie posted:

I think there is something to be said for a silent vehicle in an urban combat environment.

Also really easy to turn into a bomb.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Cross posting from one of the Ukraine themed threads

https://twitter.com/vicjkim/status/1505394345393864705

"ecologically clean killing machine", lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEddCLW3SM

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Seen a BMW ix driving around town. What an absolute trash fire of a car designwise.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

Unclear, they announced it will have full support for Android for Auto apps and Google services including the Play Store for Android Automative. They may layer an Sync like interface on it, but adding app and Google services in is likely going to be a fairly significant departure.

Also not quite clear that they are completely abandoning QNX, Android Automotive can run on top of QNX.

quote:

Instead, its use of Android would be “uniquely Ford and Lincoln,” Ford’s VP of strategy and partnerships, David McClelland, said in a conference call with reporters. A spokesperson confirmed that Ford would be swapping its current backend provider, Blackberry’s QNX, with Android. The automaker will then build a new version of its Sync operating system on top of that Android-powered software.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/1/22260176/ford-google-android-infotainment-os-2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Yes, but "QNX" isn't one thing, it's entirely possible, maybe likely, that Ford Sync continues to run QNX as its RTOS for regulated components and virtualizes Android Automotive for the infotainment portion, which is completely supported by Android Automotive.

I'm actually thinking this is highly likely, it looks like Sync4 and Sync4a are not slightly different versions of the same system, but a rewrite of the interface from a QNX native application to an HTML5 interface that can be ported over to Android Automotive without loving with much in the grand scheme of things.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also really easy to turn into a bomb.

Yes, Molotov cocktails famously are filled with lithium ions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ola posted:

Yes, Molotov cocktails famously are filled with lithium ions.

lol didn’t you know that it’s easier to blow up an EV than an ICE car with a fuel tank filled with petrochemicals whose entire purpose is to combust?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm thinking if your goal is an exploding car, humanity has just scratched the surface of the potential presented by hydrogen cars.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NJ Deac posted:

Even if they turn you down, you're in the back half of the month and there's a decent chance they call you back in a week meeting your price if the sales manager is close to some kind of volume goal.

Good prediction. Two of the Kia dealers who were "firm" on a $5k "market adjustment" markup contacted me this morning asking if I'd be willing to negotiate.

I'm standing firm on not paying above MSRP and told them as much. In normal times I wouldn't pay anywhere near MSRP for a new car, but that's where we are right now.

Sadly, it looks like the only EV that fits my needs/circumstances is the EV6:

- Mustang Mach-E - Looks good, and I can get one literally today from a non-scummy dealer, but it's basically impossible to find an extended-range battery without moving up to a GT.

- Polestar 2 - I think this would fit my needs well, but the nearest test drive location is 4+ hours away, and I don't think anyone around here could service one if something goes wrong.

- Hyundai Ioniq 5 - Looks amazing, but Hyundai sent most of the 2022's to Europe, and is only selling enough in the US to meet certain states' emissions/energy standards. My state is not one of these.

- Tesla - Too many build quality issues, and (redacted to avoid Muskchat).

Other manufacturers' EVs don't seem fully-realized (Nissan, Chevy, Volkswagen), or are out of my price range (Audi, Mercedes, Porsche), or are focusing on large SUVs and/or trucks (Rivian, GMC, other Ford models).

Actually, are the big Japanese manufacturers getting left behind on EV tech? Toyota and Honda both committed to "all EV by 2030", but they only offer a tiny handful of full-EV cars this year, and eight years seems like an incredibly long time to catch up with the Korean and American (and even European) manufacturers that are currently leapfrogging them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yup they are behind and Toyota/Subaru's first offering kind of sucks in terms of charging speed, and Mazda's compliance car is just pathetic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jump on the EV6 wagon. I’m picking mine up tomorrow!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I probably will, if/when I find a Kia dealer within a day's drive who will sell me one for (what I consider) a reasonable price!

Which EV6 did you end up with? My unicorn car is the Wind AWD with extended battery in Gravity Blue.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

WhiteHowler posted:

- Tesla - Too many build quality issues, and (redacted to avoid Muskchat).

YMMV but my 3 from December was flawless. I haven’t heard many complaints on newer ones. Other valid reasons not to want a Tesla though.

The EV6 looks awesome

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

I probably will, if/when I find a Kia dealer within a day's drive who will sell me one for (what I consider) a reasonable price!

Which EV6 did you end up with? My unicorn car is the Wind AWD with extended battery in Gravity Blue.

Wind AWD Glacier White

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is the VW id.4 just not worth considering? They looked fairly decent. The kia/hyundais do look better though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Congrats! Looking forward to the pictures!

WhiteHowler posted:

Actually, are the big Japanese manufacturers getting left behind on EV tech? Toyota and Honda both committed to "all EV by 2030", but they only offer a tiny handful of full-EV cars this year, and eight years seems like an incredibly long time to catch up with the Korean and American (and even European) manufacturers that are currently leapfrogging them.

It really feels like they're incomprehensively behind, yea. I've got an unreasonable soft spot for Nissan, but none of them are making compelling BEVs. And that's just so strange to me in light of Toyota's early success with the Prius, and the fairly exciting work they were doing with the Scion sub-brand at the time. I've heard a few folks argue that Toyota could pivot to fully electric quickly if they wanted to, but they don't have the battery production capacity now, which takes years to spin up. And the open market just doesn't have the supply available either. The fact that Ford and GM are the leaders in the Old Guard car manufacturers for BEVs is still kind of mind-boggling to me. Imagine saying that to someone in 2007.

My dream car is still a refreshed, battery-powered Honda Element, but I know that'll stay a dream.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Whenever Toyota actually starts making EVs they will sell a shitload of them. It’s still really really early days for the EV market and none of the big manufacturers are in any danger of being left behind.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It really feels like they're incomprehensively behind, yea. I've got an unreasonable soft spot for Nissan, but none of them are making compelling BEVs. And that's just so strange to me in light of Toyota's early success with the Prius, and the fairly exciting work they were doing with the Scion sub-brand at the time. I've heard a few folks argue that Toyota could pivot to fully electric quickly if they wanted to, but they don't have the battery production capacity now, which takes years to spin up. And the open market just doesn't have the supply available either. The fact that Ford and GM are the leaders in the Old Guard car manufacturers for BEVs is still kind of mind-boggling to me. Imagine saying that to someone in 2007.

My dream car is still a refreshed, battery-powered Honda Element, but I know that'll stay a dream.

Speaking of Nissan, the goon Aryia preview is out: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/03/what-we-learned-by-driving-the-prototype-nissan-ariya-ev-crossover/

Seems like a decent normie CUV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

WhiteHowler posted:

- Polestar 2 - I think this would fit my needs well, but the nearest test drive location is 4+ hours away, and I don't think anyone around here could service one if something goes wrong.

You should check - more Volvo dealers are authorized to service Polestars than are authorized to sell. If you have a nearby dealer, there's a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Toyota bet everything on hydrogen and went full sunk cost on it.