Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of distance, Ochako gave her a literal slap on the wrist so why isn't she shipped off to deep space right now

Yeah, that's what I said a few pages ago. This fight should be over before it began!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Her disappointment with getting the cop routine from Ochako would be more reasonable if she wasn't actively trying to kill her/others at the time.

If you run at someone with a knife their first response is always going to be to get away from the knife.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheHan posted:

Yeah also, I know this is another personal thing but I struggle to buy Toga as a threat on this level. She's literally just a kid. Her quirk makes her dangerous in chaotic situations and for surprise attacks but in a head on fight it really feels like she would be clobbered. Stuffing her roster full of generic nomu to pad out the fight is an alright solution but it just feels like her personality and quirk are better suited for a more personal conflict and not a big splashy hero fight.

She's a massive threat to people with normal physical abilities. She's super fast, seems to have either extensive fighting training or inborn talent(look at how she dodges around poo poo and recovers), and has zero hesitation when it comes to stabbing someone fatally. That'll get you pretty far when it comes to killing people. She shouldn't really be a threat to Deku, which is presumably why Horikoshi made up the "she can't be spotted by danger sense!" thing to lessen the gap.

She could easily kill a significant amount of 1A, as an example. Only the protagonist trio with their massive AoE attacks, Kirishima with his ability to become immune to knives, and maybe Tokoyami with Dark Shadow out are really terrible matchups for her.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

And for me them being imprisoned and helped via therapy whilst the society that failed them is fixed so it doesn't fail others like them is the good ending. I don't think they should get to go free, I just don't think they should be killed or treated as inhuman monsters for being crushed under the pressure of society. Do we even know how many kills Toga has actually made, because she's only been a killer for like, a year at this point surely. Given she's not meant to be much older than the 1A class and started killing in high school. Which is not a mitigating factor, but I don't think she's got "dozens" of kills under her belt either.

Basically though I think it's clear the result of "saving" Toga/Shigaraki is not letting them go free or redeeming them, but getting them in a place where a) they can't hurt other people and b) can get help for their trauma and problems such that c) eventually they can be rehabilitated. In comparison, I don't think there's any saving All for One or the Doctor at this point, and the narrative clearly treats them as actual monsters compared to Shigaraki being a child raised into maddened nihilism and hatred and Toga being abused into hedonistic insanity. Twice being killed is treated as the wrong result for his situation, Toga at the very minimum is going to end up at the "correct" result. Which is society being fixed so that no-one else ends up like her again whilst she gets the help she needs (and is imprisoned for the crimes she committed). Rehabilitation as the goal of prison instead of punishment. Look at Dragon Ball, Vegeta is by far a more storied killer than anyone in MHA and he ends up the funny quirky uncle/serious hero. It'll also be more earned than anything to do with Orochimaru and Sasuke being free post-war in Naruto.

I think the only real way this can end for Shigaraki is Deku turns him good again through the standard anime combination of speeches, a violent beating, and a last minute offer of redemption and then he sacrifices himself to take out AFO and save everybody. Because that's how Return of the Jedi did it. They might still keep him alive and send him to jail the way they kept Obi-Wan Toshinori alive, but it'll still be rough to claim that all of the stuff he did recently was just magic demonic possession unless he does some spectacular act of redemption.

Long-shot ending is Eri rewinds the villains into literal childhood and they get a do-over because they had some lovely circumstances.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Brandfarlig posted:

Her disappointment with getting the cop routine from Ochako would be more reasonable if she wasn't actively trying to kill her/others at the time.

If you run at someone with a knife their first response is always going to be to get away from the knife.

Right, I agree. It was also reasonable and pragmatic for the authorities to assassinate Twice. No one, not even the story, is saying it's unreasonable to defend yourself. If you're asking for reasonable behavior from Toga, you're missing the point - she's an antagonist and this is a shounen manga, she's there to provide a fight.

However, the other thing is that the entire motivation of the main character is that he wants to be a hero who saves everyone and Ochako wants to follow his example. It's not "everyone with some exceptions" it's "everyone".

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 19, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kinda odd that Mineta is a creeper played for comedy while Toga is a creeper played for drama and you don't really have any intersection there, like Mineta learning his behavior could be seen as weird and off-putting as Lady Stabbington.

Ah well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
On the other hand, Mineta has not been anything more than a cardboard cutout for almost a decade now, while Toga is one of the few characters the story still actually focuses on, once in a while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, Mineta hasn't done anything creepy in a while. It was just a random thought that came to mind for if the story wasn't rocketing to the end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's kinda odd that Mineta is a creeper played for comedy while Toga is a creeper played for drama and you don't really have any intersection there, like Mineta learning his behavior could be seen as weird and off-putting as Lady Stabbington.

Ah well.

They should get got off screen like the other creeper.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
really torn on how i feel about this one. all the pieces are there, mostly in the right spots, to make it work out. we've got the conflicted Ochako, knowing same as Deku that the standard solution they already have isn't the right one and having thought about it, Toga as the living embodiment of a question the series has theoretically been asking in the background the whole time, with both societal and individual reasons not to trust Ochako. ideally i feel like we'd have a little extra character development from Ochako before now to really link it to this fight, but that's nothing a little mid-fight flashback can't fix. in theory this should really be a solid time to really finalize and then send the core message of the story home with the toga shigaraki one-two...

except the previous few arcs have all felt rushed and like they haven't paid off with much aside from looking cool and then ending shy of connecting to much.

im still (extremely) cautiously optimistic?? :shrug: this is all stuff that the whole story has been setting up for years now, not some late addition (with a new editor i remember people saying?) like the past few arcs. like i definitely get why other people are checked out, im def paying more attention to other comics as well at this point, but i still feel like theres enough Long Term Intention to land this one well enough, even if i've mostly lost faith in the shigaraki follow-up working all that well lmao

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Just give Toga a boy-/girlfriend with a regeneration quirk and a masochistic streak already so she can have all the blood she wants.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Siliziumleben posted:

Just give Toga a boy-/girlfriend with a regeneration quirk and a masochistic streak already so she can have all the blood she wants.

And this is how you tie the theory that the Doctor took a regeneration quirk from Izuku into him dating Toga in a fanfic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ah well.

Tbf the “joke” with Mineta is usually that he’s creepy and deserves to get dunked on. I guess it’s subjective but he’s by far the best version of that character trope to me cause the joke isn’t “oh Mineta wants to peep on girls with the peep hole how incorrigible”, it’s “Mineta gets stabbed in the eye because he was trying to be a creep, duck that guy” while not getting to see anything which itself is kinda self aware that he’s creepy and off putting.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
the toga situation getting perfectly wrapped up as toga and mineta are introduced to each other and both of them freak out like "wait is this what ppl think I'm like???"

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
No matter what happens, Deku having no idea how to approach romance will always get a laugh out of me. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Siliziumleben posted:

If it weren't for the age gap, her and Shoji would've been a perfect couple.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I still don't like that Midnight was just openly paedophilic

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to wonder how a superheroine who is literally called R-Rated and is just straight up a dominatrix was considered an appropriate teacher for children.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I have to wonder how a superheroine who is literally called R-Rated and is just straight up a dominatrix was considered an appropriate teacher for children.

It's all about who you know, and she knew a talking rat.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

If it weren't for the age gap, her and Shoji would've been a perfect couple.

They're the same age?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm still hinging my bets on the series ending with deku ultimately giving one for all to all for one and it just turns out to be too much power and he explodes or something. Or melts down into a glowing baby and the villain gets his redemption/saved moment by being reborn as a glowing, innocent, child.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I'm still hinging my bets on the series ending with deku ultimately giving one for all to all for one and it just turns out to be too much power and he explodes or something. Or melts down into a glowing baby and the villain gets his redemption/saved moment by being reborn as a glowing, innocent, child.

Yeah, I was thinking something like One For All and All for One cancelling out mathematically and just leaving the person completely quirkless.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
That sounds both really dumb and really unlikely.
Goons continue to impress me with their ability to come up with plots even worse than what is actually going to happen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kild posted:

They're the same age?

Huh, I thought she was in like her 20's

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, I thought she was in like her 20's

No, she's at most a second or third year high school student. Probably Camie/Mirio's age, if not the same age as Izuku's class entirely. She literally wears her middle school/high school uniform still, and only started being a killer in the last year or two after her breakdown.

Toga being in her 20s would actually make everything about her much worse.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 23, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

No, she's at most a second or third year high school student. Probably Camie/Mirio's age, if not the same age as Izuku's class entirely. She literally wears her middle school/high school uniform still, and only started being a killer in the last year or two after her breakdown.

Toga is 17 or 18 currently.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Toga is 17 or 18 currently.

Quick check 17, 1 year older than Izuku and his classmates (who are all 16) same age as Camie, 1 year younger than Mirio and his friends.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah I thought she was much closer to Shigaraki's age and she'd been a rogue wandering knife in alleyways for a while after her breakdown and not that she immediately went from that one murder to professional supervillain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah I thought she was much closer to Shigaraki's age and she'd been a rogue wandering knife in alleyways for a while after her breakdown and not that she immediately went from that one murder to professional supervillain.

Shigaraki is only 20 years old. Dude’s barely out of being a teenager. He’s closer in age to Toga than most of the rest of the League I’m pretty sure.

Toga’s break down was at age 13 or 14 I think, in middle school still. Roughly would have happened a year before Izuku got One for all at 14.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Shigaraki is only 20 years old. Dude’s barely out of being a teenager. He’s closer in age to Toga than most of the rest of the League I’m pretty sure.

Toga’s break down was at age 13 or 14 I think, in middle school still. Roughly would have happened a year before Izuku got One for all at 14.

That explains why I got confused! I thought her break down was like, 16 at the latest and she was just kinda on the run for a bit before she got brought into the League. But yeah I thought she was like 20 or 21 like he was.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I wonder if it will be ever explained where her ninja skills came from. I also vaguely remember that Girard boasted about her when he introduced her to the League, hyping her as someone far more important than a teenager who happened to murder someone.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Froppy is so effortlessly cool and I hope she'll become a Best Jeanist type hero

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Tampa Bae posted:

Froppy is so effortlessly cool and I hope she'll become a Best Jeanist type hero

Best Frogist

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

I wonder if it will be ever explained where her ninja skills came from. I also vaguely remember that Girard boasted about her when he introduced her to the League, hyping her as someone far more important than a teenager who happened to murder someone.

Yeah the "Toga is an elite super ninja who can stab people to death with zero hesitation and also easily participate in deep cover recon jobs where she impersonates people for an extended period of time" and "Toga is a random teenager who killed one person before disappearing off the grid" is a weird disconnect that doesn't really work.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We also have no idea how Dabi survived roasting himself nearly to death as a child.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Kanos posted:

Yeah the "Toga is an elite super ninja who can stab people to death with zero hesitation and also easily participate in deep cover recon jobs where she impersonates people for an extended period of time" and "Toga is a random teenager who killed one person before disappearing off the grid" is a weird disconnect that doesn't really work.

Comic books.

Fabricated posted:

We also have no idea how Dabi survived roasting himself nearly to death as a child.

Comic. Books.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Kitty Pride.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it has worked fine for me for hundreds of chapters yeah

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

Dabi can't even die without messing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Isn't that just the baseline for most people in this manga though? Like, why is Stain so incredibly agile, his Quirk doesn't have anything to do with that. Or Eraserhead. Or Shigaraki during the USJ training facility.

If you're gonna be a regular fighter in this manga I think you're just a Dragon Ball character before after images regularly become a thing. So like, everyone's Mercenary Tao before we got to all these season 9 power boosts.