Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

whatevenis
Jan 1, 2021

Junpei Hyde posted:

I like opening trading card packs. I like the ones that are shiny

The moderator of Rapidly Going Deaf, ladies and gentlemen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

For anyone who missed it, JaidenAnimations released a video about being ace/aro! I relate so much to this video, especially the part about getting obsessed with new friends and confusing that with a crush...and also the part where weirdos try to psychoanalyze me in order to "fix" me :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1DTK4U1AM

Don't have a lot interesting to say but it's a good video. It's always nice to see people with a particular identity talk about what it's like to be them.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I AM GRANDO posted:

Whoever said Maggie May Fish was the worst critic posted in this thread forgot about joyless scold Jonathan McIntosh. Here’s 28 minutes of him rehashing Laura Mulvey’s “Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema” without adding anything:

That was me and you know what? You got me lol fair enough

Puppy Time posted:

Don't have a lot interesting to say but it's a good video. It's always nice to see people with a particular identity talk about what it's like to be them.

:yeah:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'm so so so glad this brand of shallow pop culture feminism has lost its cachet. Maybe at one point saying this stuff was fresh and interesting but now it's just https://www.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I like this guy, never seen him before but he seems pleasant. I think that's the biggest 'turn off' for food videos for me honestly, of all kinds, when the host/personality/whatever you call it seems like a wad. I know 'I like watching things where I don't dislike the main focus' is a nuclear take but it does feel in food there's such a high amount of various flavors of wad that can ruin an otherwise cool idea. Pretentious dickheads wreck recipe videos, wannabe Epic Meal Time dinks wreck 'stunt food' stuff, and I guess for challenge stuff my turn off is the ones who get like...way too into it if it makes sense? Like, the guys who make you think 'oh you NEED this win huh buddy, you should talk to someone about that' instead of 'ha this seems like a dumb but fun way to just ruin your guts for the day'

Agreed. More Guy Fieri energy on fad food videos

Gwen posted:

do you have to do the amusement park ride moves in kh3? I've never seen anyone say they were like, completely necessary.

unless everyone is bent out of shape over reaction commands which sure okay i guess

One of the trigger buttons swaps through the list of things so you can pick out which ability you want to use when. So if you have a new keyblade form or the next tier of magic spell you want to use instead, you can just select those instead or simply- get this- not press the theme park button.

Reaction commands were fun QTEs and I'm sad that they're gone. Fighting nobodies without them just isn't the same.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 22, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gwen posted:

do you have to do the amusement park ride moves in kh3? I've never seen anyone say they were like, completely necessary.

unless everyone is bent out of shape over reaction commands which sure okay i guess

There were a couple of different issues brought up in the video and I'm not going to be able to or try to make a case beyond remembering how the older games worked and seeing this and similar videos of KH3 or Birth By Sleep. But basically, there's a combination of issues at play. It's not only the ride attacks, but also the summons (which are apparently still accessible all the way through the mega challenge DLC bosses and always act as emergency can't-take-damage-for-a-bit buttons), the empowered magic activation, the team attacks, all the keyblade supers, the rage mode, etc. And most of them refresh at a much higher rate than say, the Drive Forms in 2, or just end up being way more potent if they are mechanics carried forward, like the summons.

And yeah, you could impose a personal pinkie promise not to use them every time they pop up, but that doesn't really fix the base problem. It also doesn't make straight fights more interesting. If you take away all the fancy setpiece powers, well you're left with pressing X over and over because that's the only "normal" option. Some of it is inherent to Kingdom Hearts, probably, though he was really warm on the bosses that actually required him to learn their movesets and dodge timings, so I assume there is something there you could build decent fights on even with most of your toolkit still available.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm reminded of So This Is Basically Kingdom Hearts which replaced the word 'darkness' with 'bees' and indeed it made about as much sense.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kingdom hearts owns

e: and i dunno the actual Lore stuff is pretty complex and theres a lot going on there, but i've never really understood people who say that the plots of KH are complicated because its basically evil Darkness guy gets beat up by good guys with the power of light and friends?? i saw a post akin to this a while back and it's really stuck with me so :v:

Booky fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 22, 2022

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

you can describe anything's plot in the most base way possible and say it's not complicated regardless of how long or convoluted it is.

like kingdom hearts or don't but don't tell me in order to enjoy the story after kh1 holistically you're not going to be waiting on all of the answers until exactly kh3's credits. It's not exactly weird for people to get frustrated or not be able to engage with a series that constantly begs the question to stuff and/or is being incessantly symbolic with major plot points and barely ever clearly distinguishes between the two.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 22, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Booky posted:

kingdom hearts owns

e: and i dunno the actual Lore stuff is pretty complex and theres a lot going on there, but i've never really understood people who say that the plots of KH are complicated because its basically evil Darkness guy gets beat up by good guys with the power of light and friends?? i saw a post akin to this a while back and it's really stuck with me so :v:

The baseline premise/motivation to everything is an extended chain of the same 6 words alternated around random bullshit. It's not confusing lore in the way that like, the backstory of a detailed setting like A Song of Ice and Fire might be, or full of a lot of ambiguity and blank spots people fill in with speculation like a Soulsborne game.

It's a bit confusing if you're trying to understand how things that don't actually follow a coherent logic like Nobodies or Heartless or Unversed work. Or how people are copies or reincarnations of one another or a fragment of a fragment of their souls. Or if you're trying to parse time travel loops. They're all plot contrivances that aren't worth thinking about, and the games themselves certainly don't try, but it makes for an intimidating-looking wikipedia page and that's all that matters nowadays to most people.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

kingdom hearts is mostly retellings of disney movies by volume

and really most of the problem is that the part of the game that isn't that has to be spread out into the thin gaps between disney movies

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i guess those are p valid criticisms (i've been into kh since i was a kid tho so i think i've acclimated to the plots; god i wish the switch versions weren't cloud :( ), i just think its kind of tiring whenever anyone brings up kh and people start constantly talking about how Extremely Hard To Understand It Is or stuff about Darkness or yell about nomura murdering your family or w/e

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hearing how people talk about homestuck, a thing i also rapidly consumed when i was younger alongside KH, numbed me to that kind of response :v:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a bit confusing if you're trying to understand how things that don't actually follow a coherent logic like Nobodies or Heartless or Unversed work. Or how people are copies or reincarnations of one another or a fragment of a fragment of their souls. Or if you're trying to parse time travel loops. They're all plot contrivances that aren't worth thinking about, and the games themselves certainly don't try, but it makes for an intimidating-looking wikipedia page and that's all that matters nowadays to most people.

Generally speaking if you introduce unusual major elements to a story and act like they're important, people are going to assume they're important, and try to figure them out.

Like, "My sister's dachshund, Hope, who was named for the cursed stone the Hope Diamond, which killed all who touched it, including Marie Antoinette, ran across Maple Street, a thoroughfare which runs in the shape of a mobius strip, chasing a male calico cat. The Hope Diamond currently resides at the Smithsonian museum," is essentially the same as, "The dog ran after the cat," but by introducing a bunch of weird details you've told your audience, "Hey, this stuff is important," leaving them to try to figure out what the hell connection the Hope Diamond has to this cat and hang on, aren't all calicos female? What the hell?

So you have a simple story but with a bunch of pointless junk tacked on leaving the audience going, "Okay that can't be it, clearly I'm meant to figure out what all this extra stuff means, otherwise why is it there?"

(The answer is it's there for the same reason as all the zippers and belts and big shoes and other stupid design elements: Nomura likes tacking things on randomly and doesn't care if it makes sense.)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I do like Kingdom Hearts and it does give me emotions. It's just also a bit convoluted. Side note my personal favorite is still 365/2 days. Come on, Nomura, release the remake on the Switch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Unlike Assassin's Creed or Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts is a very complicated story that you need to have a very high IQ to be able to understand or explain. Most people try to describe it and they get tired and need to take a nap before even explaining that it starts in a place called Destiny Islands. It's all very taxing to explain anything that happens in the games at any point.

Being serious though, people be like: 'Kingdom Hearts is too complicated. I love Lovecraftian horror. Part 5 is my favorite Jojo arc.' Like I get that no one gives a poo poo about single player stories in games outside of one every six years but yeesh. Can anyone tell me what's the goal for the Halo series right now? Is there even one or do they just react to the new big problem of the week like it's Zelda?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing I really like about KH1, besides the fact that it tells a mostly cohesive story, is that the Disney worlds are actually weaved into the greater narrative. Not just in that the Disney villains are the primary story antagonists up until the final hour, but in that the worlds themselves fulfill a narrative purpose. The story begins with Sora, Kairi, and Riku wanting to sail off into the unknown and explore new worlds. And while there are darker undercurrents because of the heartless and Sora needs to find (and as he later learns, save) Kairi and Riku, he basically gets to live out this dream by cruising around with Donald and Goofy, taking in all these cool new worlds and kicking rear end with the Keyblade. Sora is genuinely enjoying his time surfing through whimsical Disney adventures, which is a big part of what drives Riku to believe he's given up on trying to help Kairi and is too immature to wield the Keyblade, ultimately driving him over to the baddies. It also helps that the worlds in KH1 aren't the straight point-for-point movie recaps they morph into in later entries, and more just a hodgepodge of set pieces and themes from those movies turned into a unique little mini-fanfic for Sora and his Disney companion.

To say it in less words, KH1 actually uses the Disney worlds, and their presentation and themes, to enhance the greater narrative. The later mainline games though are really guilty of just tacking Disney worlds on out of obligation that might as well exist in a completely separate instance of the main plot, outside of like maybe an Org 13 member showing up to laugh at you. Obviously there's still fun to be had there, but it feels like a huge waste. Granted I also realize that Disney has undergone a LOT of changes in the 20 years since KH1 came out and Nomura probably doesn't have even an ounce of the original creative license he was granted in how he could use the Disney IP's for KH1.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like hitting things with keyblade with Donald & Goofy

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kingdom Hearts is garbage for a very simple reason: it ties itself to Disney movies, something most people are going to be familiar with in their local language because it's almost universally dubbed and localized, yet KH only provides English and Japanese voices, basically saying "This nostalgia is not for you, so gently caress off". They even dropped the few other languages they started with in subsequent games.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
People talk about Kingdom Hearts, but I'm over here like "Have you heard of Twisted Wonderland? Where a bunch of Disney villains are reinterpreted as hot anime twinks?" and they treat me like I'm the weird one.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWjSOSWiUw

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i think it's this thread thta pointed out there's a new munecat on NFT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

i'm watching it rn and it's actually a good companion piece to Line Goes Up, since it gives a bunch of updates on what has happened since. One thing it touches is on the Philippines mobile NFT game Axie Infinity which Olson brought up in his video and it has very likely, surprise, collapsed

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Jamie Faith posted:

For anyone who missed it, JaidenAnimations released a video about being ace/aro! I relate so much to this video, especially the part about getting obsessed with new friends and confusing that with a crush...and also the part where weirdos try to psychoanalyze me in order to "fix" me :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1DTK4U1AM

Finally, a good addition to my playlist that's just been this so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKR7TeMakT0

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Kh1, chain of memories and 2 make a complete story it didn't really get convoluted until they made up a bunch of backstory to justify more games.
Also kingdom hearts RULES

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The first Kingdom Hearts had that really good song in the ads and that's about all I know about it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Kingdom Hearts is complicated in the same way game series like Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid are: The plots of individual games are relatively straightforward and can usually be enjoyed on their own merits, but the plots of these games traffic very heavily on SHOCKING REVEALS!!! that start to pile up as the series goes on. This eventually leads into situations where events and details that are established early on in the series are contradicted and overwritten by later twists in the story, which in turn leads to a lot of confusion if you skipped over any games in the series or haven't been following the series in chronological order by release.

Also, much like Metal Gear, Kingdome Hearts doesn't take a straightforward approach to how its spin-off titles relate to the main plot of the series. In most other series, you'd assume that you'd only need to play Kingdom Hearts 1 to understand Kingdom Hearts 2, but the plot of Kingdom Hearts 2 isn't going to make a whole lot of sense unless you played the GBA spin-off title Chain of Memories beforehand (Or its 3D rerelease, I suppose, but that didn't come out until well after Kingdom Hearts 2). Similarly, the plot of Kingdom Hearts 3 is kind of predicated on you having played a pretty decent chunk of the weirdly named spin-off titles that came out after Kingdom Hearts 2, not to mention at least a few of the updated rereleases of earlier games, to make full sense of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metal Gear is better than Kingdom Hearts.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arc Hammer posted:

Metal Gear is better than Kingdom Hearts.

Kingdom Hearts doesn't AFAIK have molestation mechanics, so no KH is better.

Hel fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 22, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dovi posted:

Kh1, chain of memories and 2 make a complete story it didn't really get convoluted until they made up a bunch of backstory to justify more games.

Disagree. KH2 threw a lot of wacky bullshit into the pot all on its own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hel posted:

Kinda funny in a sad way how Kojima's reaction to people mad at the Beauty and the Beast squad mechanics was to make Paz and Quiet and tell people to be ashamed of their words and deeds.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arc Hammer posted:

Kinda funny in a sad way how Kojima's reaction to people mad at the Beauty and the Beast squad mechanics was to make Paz and Quiet and tell people to be ashamed of their words and deeds.

And then the team that was left to make Survive cut out all that poo poo completely, except for the DLC with costumes from the older games, and even then it's ended at the level of EVAs jumpsuit. Which really highlights who of Kojima or Konami was really putting that in the games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hel posted:

And then the team that was left to make Survive cut out all that poo poo completely, except for the DLC with costumes from the older games, and even then it's ended at the level of EVAs jumpsuit. Which really highlights who of Kojima or Konami was really putting that in the games.

I mean Kojima just puts that poo poo in his games and then comes up with a weirdo justification for it. Konami would sell it to you first.

And in comparison Yoko Taro is just unashamedly horny without further justification.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean Kojima just puts that poo poo in his games and then comes up with a weirdo justification for it. Konami would sell it to you first.

And in comparison Yoko Taro is just unashamedly horny without further justification.

Konami picked the way less bad options, and only sold it because those are the only iconic women's clothes in the series. Kojima had Snake do creeper moves like dropping his cigarettes to look up skirts during plot important cutscenes. Konami is still garbage because of how horrible they treat their staff, but the being creepy about women in MGS seems to be mostly a Kojima thing.
BTW was the Smash Bros Paz bomb joke actually real or just a photoshop? because an all ages fighting game making jokes about the whole child rape vagina bomb thing is tasteless as gently caress, if slightly less so than doing it seriously like MGS 5 did.

But yeah, people treat Yoko Taro the same as they did Kojima, and for mostly the same reasons. His games have basic overt themes and makes the audience feel smart, so the sexism is ok. Also being given credits for what the team does well. Which is what made Kojima ok until he became a joke.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I played the first hour of kingdom hearts and my review is that it sucked rear end

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hel posted:

BTW was the Smash Bros Paz bomb joke actually real or just a photoshop? because an all ages fighting game making jokes about the whole child rape vagina bomb thing is tasteless as gently caress, if slightly less so than doing it seriously like MGS 5 did.

"Starts with a bob-omb" is real, yes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I played the first hour of kingdom hearts and my review is that it sucked rear end

I remember buying two games in the same shop visit that summer: Kingdom Hearts and Guitar Hero 2.

Played 5 minutes of KH, went "interesting, will play more later. Let's see what Guitar Hero is all about"

Never got back to KH.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Hel posted:

It's real and its real funny if you know what it is, a lot of people playing Smash will have no idea.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Hel posted:

you misunderstand. despite that, its still better.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Judge Tesla posted:

It's real and its real funny if you know what it is, a lot of people playing Smash will have no idea.

I'm not really a fan of rape jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
^^ ill update the spreadsheet lol

kh2 was bad enough i never picked up another kh game again. horrid game