Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think you can compare HZD to Days Gone outside of "they're open world"

How do you feel about driving and caring for your motorcycle? How do you feel about firearms? How do you feel about Sons of Anarchy, the TV show?

Hmm. No problem with the bike I guess so long as it's not as complicated as horse maintenance in RDR2; guns are guns and a staple of video games so no issue there; and aside from a couple clips on YouTube that looked awful dumb I've never seen SoA. How's the acting and writing? It looks character heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

To be fair, blockchain and NFTs don't have to have incredibly wasteful compute cycles. But we never hear about the exceedingly unsexy applications of supply chain management or hashing web content for archival and chain of custody purposes.

The unsexy applications for SCM are actually pretty cool and a good use-case for blockchain (chain of custody for blood donations for example). But yeah they are only talked about if you're in those spaces.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Speaking of, how's Days Gone if I liked HZD but I'm lukewarm to zombies?

Well Days Gone is a zombie game not a robot dinosaur game so…

It’s aggressively mediocre but also somehow far better than it has any right to be. It is blatantly unfinished in important parts but also occasionally brilliant when you’re in one of the finished parts. The main character is the kind of person who yells at the radio (because he does this all the time) and mumbles psychotically to themselves (because he also does that all the time) but also compelling and emotionally engaging at the same time.

It is unironically a land of contrasts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The voice cues in that game are just messed up. Just a constant stream of calls from people you just saw 5 seconds ago talking about things you've already resolved.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

Speaking of, how's Days Gone if I liked HZD but I'm lukewarm to zombies?
It takes the compelling premise of "lets drive around on a customisable bike during a zombie apocalypse" and turns it into a monotonous and often irritating chore. Theres even forced stealth sections. Don't waste your time on it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Hmm OK, thanks for the takes. I'll grab it on a deep sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Eason the Fifth posted:

Hmm OK, thanks for the takes. I'll grab it on a deep sale.

Yeah, that's probably the best if you're not going [!] at what you've been told. I personally fuckin' love Days Gone but I'm also super excited about zombies. It's me, I am the one person who keeps asking for zombies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Soul Glo posted:

I think that game is rough even if you loving love zombies and corny, dated motorgang culture

But it's the top game ever if you want to hear a voice actor says the words "Boozer" or "Booze-man" approximately 10,000 times during the course of a playthrough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

It’s aggressively mediocre but also somehow far better than it has any right to be. It is blatantly unfinished in important parts but also occasionally brilliant when you’re in one of the finished parts. The main character is the kind of person who yells at the radio (because he does this all the time) and mumbles psychotically to themselves (because he also does that all the time) but also compelling and emotionally engaging at the same time.

It is unironically a land of contrasts.
i actually don't hate the protag as much as others do, he's not really an edgelord or rear end in a top hat, he's just sick & tired of people's bullshit. a lot of his dialog is really more the exasperated kind, like "gently caress, i gotta deal with THIS again?" or "boozer, do you understand what 'getting some rest' means"

but the endless internal monologue/radio chatter is definitely the result of the game being overstuffed with activities so people are never shutting up trying to point you in a direction

e: honestly my hot take is I prefer Deacon to Joel Lastofus

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 22, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was wondering about the state of SNKRX as I enjoyed it a lot...

...and i made the mistake of looking at the dev's blog

https://www.a327ex.com/posts/2022/

and now I'm just sad. I don't want to support scammers :(

It's like going over to your friend's house and finding them raving nonsense and covered in poo poo. You're just, sad and want to help them but also a little ashamed for them.

When you see that crypto light in someone's eyes it's rare to come back from it though. I'm surprised people have such little understanding of artificial scarcity and how unnecessary it is and how the only way the whole thing survives is by bringing in more and more suckers constantly which is why the crypto freaks never stop evangelizing, ever.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Hmm. No problem with the bike I guess so long as it's not as complicated as horse maintenance in RDR2; guns are guns and a staple of video games so no issue there; and aside from a couple clips on YouTube that looked awful dumb I've never seen SoA. How's the acting and writing? It looks character heavy.

I found the game kind of boring and too stretched out, just never got into it. I also didn't really like how it controlled on foot. The moment to moment gameplay didn't interest me too much and I'm a little bored of zombies. The voice work seemed pretty good with what they had to work with, sometimes verging into corny or cringe but mostly solid.

Some people really like it thought.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say that after playing about half of DL 1 and unlocking the grapple and most of the progression that the parkour and general gameplay experience of DL 2 is way better. I also don't get the combat complaints - and I like the easier, less scary night because I'm a coward :ohdear: The only thing that majorly sucks about it is grinding the upgrade trophies.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was laughing at Days Gone before release and the PS4 cover is just bad bad, but I got it and played and ended up loving it despite everything. Riding the bike was really cool and I've grown to like some of the characters, including the protagonist. It also does interesting things with zombies over the course of the game, unlike a lot of other games in the genre. Shame the sequel got scrapped.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i actually don't hate the protag as much as others do, he's not really an edgelord or rear end in a top hat, he's just sick & tired of people's bullshit. a lot of his dialog is really more the exasperated kind, like "gently caress, i gotta deal with THIS again?" or "boozer, do you understand what 'getting some rest' means"

but the endless internal monologue/radio chatter is definitely the result of the game being overstuffed with activities so people are never shutting up trying to point you in a direction

e: honestly my hot take is I prefer Deacon to Joel Lastofus

I mean kinda, but on the other hand he is also an outright slaver and pretty cowardly about facing up to that fact. "B-but it's just a work camp. Everybody's gotta work!".

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Days Gone is great if you don't take it seriously. It's a B movie shlock about the angriest man alive and his redemption arc. Seriously, Deek never shuts up and its the funniest thing about the game.
Also you get to shoot zombie children.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Perestroika posted:

I mean kinda, but on the other hand he is also an outright slaver and pretty cowardly about facing up to that fact. "B-but it's just a work camp. Everybody's gotta work!".
well i always expect AAA games to whiff on major issues like that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But it's the top game ever if you want to hear a voice actor says the words "Boozer" or "Booze-man" approximately 10,000 times during the course of a playthrough.

Also extremely good for constant under the breath thinking out loud like Horizon Forbidden West but like if Aloy was loving insane

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was wondering about the state of SNKRX as I enjoyed it a lot...

...and i made the mistake of looking at the dev's blog

https://www.a327ex.com/posts/2022/

This is the icing on the cake for me:

quote:

This whole NFT debate this year has redpilled me considerably on just how risk averse most people are. I’ve had multiple conversations with maybe 5 different artists about the subject and all of them refuse to have anything to do with NFTs for a myriad of reasons, despite clearly needing money.

"Those poor people are just risk averse!" :downs:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

could've stopped at "I was redpilled"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean, you ain't wrong.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There are two types of NFT purchasers: The first are people who don't really understand that they're purchasing into a scam. The second are people who are well aware that they're participating in a scam and they hope to profit from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steam Thread: Despite clearly needing money

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sab669 posted:

Have there been any truly open world games in Unreal Engine? I feel like there has to have been, but I don't think I've played any.

From what I understand, UE5 was built for open world games. The Matrix Awakens tech demo exists to show off all of the new features they created for large worlds.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a big indie conference just concluded (MIX).... some new games and new release date announcements got announced, but they had something like 80-85 games in the show so i'll compile it up tonight

I will say that Project Warlock 2 will launch in Early Access this June, and Turbo Overkill will launch in EA in April (published by Apogee apparently, who I'm pretty sure doesn't actually exist anymore). Princess Farmer comes out next week.

(if you're wondering why so many boomer shooters are in early access -- prodeus, dread templar, PW2, TO, ultrakill, viscerafest-- it's probably because no big studios want to make these games so it's only tiny teams working in off hours)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The 7th Guest posted:

(published by Apogee apparently, who I'm pretty sure doesn't actually exist anymore).
The company relaunched with a new owner, but Scott Miller still has a hand in it.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-20-apogee-entertainment-relaunches-as-indie-publisher

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

From what I understand, UE5 was built for open world games. The Matrix Awakens tech demo exists to show off all of the new features they created for large worlds.

Oh wow. Somehow I missed that tech demo. That was extremely cool.

e; in case anyone else hasn't:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0gvPcc3jQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone here ever lowered the difficulty setting after a game recommended it (after you die a whole bunch).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Oh wow. Somehow I missed that tech demo. That was extremely cool.

If you have a PS5 or Series X you can download it and play around with it

They didn't release it on PC though, probably scared of the actor likenesses getting ripped

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Has anyone here ever lowered the difficulty setting after a game recommended it (after you die a whole bunch).

I was playing the new Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise and I lowered it from Hard to Action difficulty to get past a boss. Then I lowered it again from Action to Story because I managed to eat the boss' one shot attack again :v:

I probably would have been down to keep attempting the fight on a higher difficulty if I didn't have to ride an elevator up to the boss fight every time I died.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

zoux posted:

no i make my own decisions. i have in rare cases lowered the difficulty if I decided I wanted it that way but never in response to a game telling me to. the game can't tell me what to do ill tell the game what to do

one of the things i REALLY hate is autodifficulty which purports to monitor your performance and change the difficulty actively. I can't stand that idea, if I can't do it then I'll change it myself

some games that come to mind which have that feature are Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice and a musical story

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love the Mario games where an invulnerability powerup appears at the start of a level if you die enough. It's just like a constant "you suck" sign every time you die

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I love the Mario games where an invulnerability powerup appears at the start of a level if you die enough. It's just like a constant "you suck" sign every time you die

That was especially rude in 3D Land where even being offered the auto-win pickup would invalidate your "perfect save" even if you didn't use it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

I typically just play on whatever the "Normal" setting is and few games these days are difficult enough to necessitate turning it down from that. Games I actually stick longer with, I'll end up adjusting accordingly, for example I know that I like to play the Total Warhammer games with Hard Campaign/Normal Battle difficulties, and I ended up knocking Witcher 3 and and God of War up to hard as I went along.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

repiv posted:

If you have a PS5 or Series X you can download it and play around with it

They didn't release it on PC though, probably scared of the actor likenesses getting ripped hosed

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sab669 posted:

Have there been any truly open world games in Unreal Engine? I feel like there has to have been, but I don't think I've played any.

Obsidian did everything they could with Outer Worlds to make it feel like Gamebryo, but that just had mediumish sized zones and hard loading screens.

ErrEff posted:

There's different types, IMO. Loading times and asset streaming was always the largest hurdle until this current generation of hardware.

Sea of Thieves: You're sailing around the game world slowly and most of it is open water.
Ark: Survival Evolved: Dinosaur Taming Simulator, I think you can fly around? I don't actually know how big the game world is.
Gears of War 5: Has some very small 'open world' sections but still a corridor shooter at heart.
Crackdown 3: You can jump around the world and drive fast. However, it's a rather small cityscape on an island.
Arkham Knight: UE3 but hey, it still looks rather nice and Batman zooms around reasonably fast - but the city itself is kinda limited in scope.
Days Gone: Zombie killing on motorcycles in the countryside.

Most open world games are not built on Unreal for one reason or another, Epic are very aware of this and have been trying to change it. Having CDPR come over is a significant win in that respect, it gives UE5 more authenticity in that space.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Yeah not counting UE5 which I don't think has been used in any game yet, the recent GTA Trilogy Remaster was made in UE4, so we know that UE4 can at least handle PS2-era sized open worlds.

Volte posted:

That's not how NFTs work (or files for that matter). There's no such thing as buying "the original copy of the file" unless you are physically buying the storage medium that it was created on, and even if there were, buying an NFT is basically like buying a piece of paper with a filename written on it.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There are two types of NFT purchasers: The first are people who don't really understand that they're purchasing into a scam. The second are people who are well aware that they're participating in a scam and they hope to profit from it.
A new feature-length video on NFT, Cryto and assorted "Web 3.0" scams recently dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 23, 2022

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

zoux posted:

I'm starting to play Yakuza 0

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

goon favorite indie arkanoid/breakout game Shatter returns with a remaster!!

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1506402861202124804

... as an exclusive to a mobile Apple Arcade competitor

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

zoux posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5 gave you new hats to make combat easier and I only died once while roaming around, which ignored the dying a bunch condition, and I wanted everything the game had to offer at that point and took it. It never offered the hats when I was getting destroyed in some missions and almost forgot it was conditional.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The United States posted:

A new feature-length video on NFT, Cryto and assorted "Web 3.0" scams recently dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

Lol so many of these new feature length anti-crypto vids are just restating Dan Olsen's Line Go Up

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

goon favorite indie arkanoid/breakout game Shatter returns with a remaster!!

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1506402861202124804

... as an exclusive to a mobile Apple Arcade competitor
Wouldn't spend a single penny on a Shatter remaster unless it means we get some new tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Shatter is a decent game with an excellent soundtrack.