Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Tricky one here; I have Legion 5 Pro and a WD19TB dock. Normally I plug the USB-C cable into the port on the back of the laptop (which supports PD) for one-cable docking.
Over the weekend I seem to have gotten a Windows Update and now the dock does not work at all on that port (apart from being a USB hub. that actually still works, but it won't charge or show external displays.)

The dock will work on the side USB-C port, but that port does not have PD so I would need to plug the brick in also.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: uh oh, maybe the port itself is dead. I can't charge it from a PD charger either. USB still works though.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just to confirm, you've attempted this with a second, known-good cable that supports data and PD?

Windows 11 has pretty poor driver support, from what I understand, maybe see if your second port runs off a different controller chip?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The dock has a non-replaceable cable, but it's not the dock because other docks in the office don't work either.
I'm on Win10 20H2. I might as well try 21H2 in case that kicks anything.

Edit: Phew, crisis averted. There was an optional Firmware update that reset whatever it was that had broken itself.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 14, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so I got a kid who is kind of into photography, he's expressed desire to do some photo editing on a comptuer he can take between mom's house and my house.
This is in his budget.. but 256 NVME seems to be the "thing" in entry level laptops.
It's been awhile since i've speced out any kind of laptop, Will this lighroom with okay results?

https://www.microcenter.com/product...hics;_Microsoft

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tater_salad posted:

so I got a kid who is kind of into photography, he's expressed desire to do some photo editing on a comptuer he can take between mom's house and my house.
This is in his budget.. but 256 NVME seems to be the "thing" in entry level laptops.
It's been awhile since i've speced out any kind of laptop, Will this lighroom with okay results?

https://www.microcenter.com/product...hics;_Microsoft

Hard to beat that under $400. If you want a step up this is arguably (but probably) worth it:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9964426/Lenovo-IdeaPad-5i-Laptop-14-Screen/?cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-CJ-_-1122587-_-13474833

The 16GB of RAM is a nice update, the CPU is better too I believe. The Ryzen on yours is pretty old. So its an older specc'd laptop but at that price range you are in the "random grab bag" for new. I'd maybe look at what you can get used too.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

So the Geek Squad at Best Buy told me the screen on my Asus G15 is repairable and it's currently out for repair. Assumedly sent back for RMA, since I don't thing Geek Squad handles screen replacement.

This led me to buy a MSI GS66 because I need a laptop for work - with the idea of taking it back within the 2 week window. Basically a loaner until I know what's going on with the G15.

Not the ideal situation but I need a portable 3d workstation to work. In any case, I plan on taking the MSI GS66 back but it's a pretty impressive machine and arguably a little snappier than my G15. Definitely a LOT quieter and "feels" a little faster with every day tasks. Also no bright charging light on the back of the laptop. That annoyed me more than I thought it would on the G15.

When I get the G15 back I plan on upgrading the ram and HD but I will be a little sad to return the MSI GS66.

In the meantime I definitely need to decide on what to get as a secondary laptop - since I wasn't planning on keeping the GS66.

For 3D artists, is there one artist laptop which is best for a budget of around 2200?

Would love to make it a hybrid / 2 n1 but I am not sure if that's absolutely necessary if I end up carrying a tablet around anyways.
The MSI Creator looked good but it doesn't have a wacom digitizer. The MSI G76 doesn't look bad for pure power and of course this Legion.
https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000J-01A01?Description=legion&cm_re=legion-_-2WC-000J-01A01-_-Product&quicklink=true
Also see some sales on last year's Alienware but I am not a huge fan of them.

The surface book 2 (which is being replaced) is glitching out 20-40% of the time and it's almost impossible to use. Never will I buy a laptop that detaches in half again. It was great when it worked though.

EDIT:

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks the MSI Creator might be the thing for Zbrush. Although I know a local artist who swears by his Legion.

https://ecomputertips.com/best-laptops-for-zbrush-modelling-artists/

quote:

5 Best Laptops for ZBrush Modelling Artists:
1. MSI Creator 15M A9SD – Best Overall
2. Alienware Gaming AW17R5 – Runner Up
3. Acer Nitro 5 – Value for Money
4. Lenovo IdeaPad L340 – Privacy and Security Features
5. Dell XPS 15 9570 – A Good 4K Display

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 17, 2022

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

sigma 6 posted:

EDIT:

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks the MSI Creator might be the thing for Zbrush. Although I know a local artist who swears by his Legion.

Those models listed are all 3 CPU generations behind at this point, I feel like you could do a lot better with your budget.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Chromebook market sure is wonky right now. I've been wanting to replace my venerable 14in Acer (Celeron N3160, 4GB) as it will be unsupported this year and it has become quite slow. So I decided to start looking for ones that would satisfy me.

Requirements being:
14in FHD IPS display
8GB ram
Upward firing speakers
backlit keyboard
Passive cooling (fanless)

HP has several sku's that mostly fit the bill but use higher TDP processors that have active cooling (albeit better cpu performance in benchmarks)
Lenovo is still using the mediatek 8183 paired with 4GB of ram. They also have a model with a Pentium 7505 (also with a fan, 4GB of ram, but an actual SSD compared to eMMC)
Market is awash with Acer/Asus models with dual core N4000 processors and small ram.
I actually found a Canadian specific HP sku with a Jasper Lake N6000 that looked very tempting, but didn't really want to wait for the shipping.

Amazon has one of the new Mediatek 8192 (Kompanio 828) Acers though which fits all requirements, and while it is no screaming deal for a Chromebook (400 bucks US), I decided, what the hell. If it get as many years out of it as I did my last one, I'm okay with that. From what little information is on the web, the MT8192 is supposed to hang with the Jasper Lake N5100, if not quite the N6000, as well as get phenomenal battery life.

Amazon link

Should arrive tomorrow if anyone wants to know more about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mental Hospitality posted:

Chromebook market sure is wonky right now. I've been wanting to replace my venerable 14in Acer (Celeron N3160, 4GB) as it will be unsupported this year and it has become quite slow. So I decided to start looking for ones that would satisfy me.

Requirements being:
14in FHD IPS display
8GB ram
Upward firing speakers
backlit keyboard
Passive cooling (fanless)

HP has several sku's that mostly fit the bill but use higher TDP processors that have active cooling (albeit better cpu performance in benchmarks)
Lenovo is still using the mediatek 8183 paired with 4GB of ram. They also have a model with a Pentium 7505 (also with a fan, 4GB of ram, but an actual SSD compared to eMMC)
Market is awash with Acer/Asus models with dual core N4000 processors and small ram.
I actually found a Canadian specific HP sku with a Jasper Lake N6000 that looked very tempting, but didn't really want to wait for the shipping.

Amazon has one of the new Mediatek 8192 (Kompanio 828) Acers though which fits all requirements, and while it is no screaming deal for a Chromebook (400 bucks US), I decided, what the hell. If it get as many years out of it as I did my last one, I'm okay with that. From what little information is on the web, the MT8192 is supposed to hang with the Jasper Lake N5100, if not quite the N6000, as well as get phenomenal battery life.

Amazon link

Should arrive tomorrow if anyone wants to know more about it.

Thanks, my trusty old Acer is losing support this year so I'm interested. You should consider cross-posting this in the Chromebook Megathread

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Thanks, my trusty old Acer is losing support this year so I'm interested. You should consider cross-posting this in the Chromebook Megathread

Ah absolutely, forgot there was a chromebook thread!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm in the market for a gaming laptop and I've been looking over the thread.

It looks like the Asus g14 is still the one to get? I was looking on Amazon and there are so many different models. Honestly it looks like I'm not even able to find the current "all AMD" model of G14.

Is the 2022 g14 model the one to get or is the "2021" model with the 3060 the best 'price to performance' model.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CerealKilla420 posted:

I'm in the market for a gaming laptop and I've been looking over the thread.

It looks like the Asus g14 is still the one to get? I was looking on Amazon and there are so many different models. Honestly it looks like I'm not even able to find the current "all AMD" model of G14.

Is the 2022 g14 model the one to get or is the "2021" model with the 3060 the best 'price to performance' model.

G14 is great as a portable gaming laptop, I wouldn't say it's universally the best (though it is what I have). The 2022 seems a bit overpriced right now and there was someone upthread who had some legit complaints about it. The 2021 is super frickin solid. Unfortunately I do not see any G14 sales right now.

The Legion is also really good, though not quite as good battery life (though better performance). I like the G15 a lot, but there are some legit complaints there.

If you're looking to buy right now this HP Omen for 1,049 is going to basically be impossible to beat from a price/perf rating, though I'd have liked to maybe get a Ryzen 7 in there. Omen's are nice, not quite as nice as a G14/Legion but usually worthwhile.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-laptop-15-en1097nr

This HP Victus from Costco is also an awesome deal, 16" is kinda big for a laptop though (imo). Costco warranty/return/etc makes this real attractive
https://www.costco.com/hp-victus-gaming-laptop---amd-ryzen-7-5800h---geforce-rtx-3060---144hz-1080p---windows-11.product.100804693.html

MSI's are usually cheaper build quality and construction but this OLED creator is interesting if you want an OLED screen. There is still some concerns over OLED burnout (which is quite different from Plasma burn-in) but every actual test I've seen seems like it'd take years to make an impact.
https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-creator-15-a11ue-491-creating-designing/p/N82E16834156059

If you want to step up to a 3070 (more expensive, hotter, but significant gaming performance boost) this 16" legion from walmart is a stupid good deal at $1,399
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...0F9US/484883807

Or this 15" legion at $1,549
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...6bedd00fd3a0INT

There's a $1500 G15 with a 3070 too but honestly the above two Legions are probably a better deal

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lockback posted:

G14 is great as a portable gaming laptop, I wouldn't say it's universally the best (though it is what I have). The 2022 seems a bit overpriced right now and there was someone upthread who had some legit complaints about it. The 2021 is super frickin solid. Unfortunately I do not see any G14 sales right now.

The Legion is also really good, though not quite as good battery life (though better performance). I like the G15 a lot, but there are some legit complaints there.

If you're looking to buy right now this HP Omen for 1,049 is going to basically be impossible to beat from a price/perf rating, though I'd have liked to maybe get a Ryzen 7 in there. Omen's are nice, not quite as nice as a G14/Legion but usually worthwhile.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-laptop-15-en1097nr

This HP Victus from Costco is also an awesome deal, 16" is kinda big for a laptop though (imo). Costco warranty/return/etc makes this real attractive
https://www.costco.com/hp-victus-gaming-laptop---amd-ryzen-7-5800h---geforce-rtx-3060---144hz-1080p---windows-11.product.100804693.html

MSI's are usually cheaper build quality and construction but this OLED creator is interesting if you want an OLED screen. There is still some concerns over OLED burnout (which is quite different from Plasma burn-in) but every actual test I've seen seems like it'd take years to make an impact.
https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-creator-15-a11ue-491-creating-designing/p/N82E16834156059

If you want to step up to a 3070 (more expensive, hotter, but significant gaming performance boost) this 16" legion from walmart is a stupid good deal at $1,399
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...0F9US/484883807

Or this 15" legion at $1,549
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...6bedd00fd3a0INT

There's a $1500 G15 with a 3070 too but honestly the above two Legions are probably a better deal

The deal on the MSI creator you linked looks sweet. Reviews say it runs hot (which doesn't really matter to me unless it throttles).

I heard that the Asus ROG M16 is really good? That's getting a little out of my budget tbh because I was looking to keep it as far under $1500 as possible while still getting a 3060 but I've heard it's worth it for the step up in build quality???

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

Those models listed are all 3 CPU generations behind at this point, I feel like you could do a lot better with your budget.

What are the 12th gen I9s that work in this price range? Kinda feel like the Legion is calling me but there is no doubt the new Asus Creator line is very impressive.
https://www.asus.com/us/site/letscreate/

The MSI Creator line for 2022 is equally impressive and at least as expensive. *groan*
Are these OLED laptop screens really only good for around 2 years?
https://us.msi.com/Content-Creation/Creator-Z17-A12UX/Specification

My Asus G15 is in for repair for dead pixels but yeah...

Pros:
Very fast / strong
Separate volume buttons (this seems minor but helps a lot in low light)
USB C charging (very slow trickle charge but it has come in handy more than once
Very fast charging on normal AC adapter!

Cons:
Fans are loud once it gets going
Charging light is much brighter / obnoxious than anticipated
Trackpad left vs right click is glitchy. This is solved with a mouse but can be annoying otherwise.
Sound was initially very loud but driver updates seemed to have capped it. Pushing VLC past 100 volume seems to be the only way to get it near previous volume levels.
No web cam.
Screen (obviously had problems with dead pixels)

Thoughts on the MSI GS66 since I am currently using it:

Quietest laptop I have ever used.
Very snappy / responsive with every day tasks. Haven't benchmarked this against the G15 but for every day tasks I would say I like it better.
Not particularly ergonomic but definitely sturdy build.
Having a webcam - no matter how bad - is a begrudgingly important feature.
Finish is smudged very easily.
Both the G15 and this GS66 have the best batteries of any laptops I have ever used. The MSI GS66 screen and features edge out the Asus G15 overall, but probably hard core gamers would prefer the G15.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CerealKilla420 posted:

The deal on the MSI creator you linked looks sweet. Reviews say it runs hot (which doesn't really matter to me unless it throttles).

I heard that the Asus ROG M16 is really good? That's getting a little out of my budget tbh because I was looking to keep it as far under $1500 as possible while still getting a 3060 but I've heard it's worth it for the step up in build quality???

They are supposed to be nice, I am skeptical of the value especially compared with the legion's I linked.

The MSI might absolutely throttle depending on environment. If suggest something like a cooling pad or just make sure your surface dissipates hear effectively. A laptop like that on a wood desk will probably throttle if you're going full bore.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, my laptop is dead, I should have known better than to buy something consumer grade. It only lasted two years, whereas the refurbished T430 it replaced lasted almost 5.

What options should I be looking at now for good battery life, decent portability, and long expected lifespan under $1k? Ideally $700 or under but I might just have to bite the bullet and pay more. Maybe another refurbished business class laptop but the T430 definitely had a cheap replacement battery, it only lasted 2-3 hours.

I’ll look and see what discount programs my jobs have, I’m even considering a MacBook Air because IDGAF about laptop gaming aside from wanting to get around to playing Disco Elysium and a native Unix command line would be nice even though WSL isn’t too bad these days.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, my laptop is dead, I should have known better than to buy something consumer grade. It only lasted two years, whereas the refurbished T430 it replaced lasted almost 5.

What options should I be looking at now for good battery life, decent portability, and long expected lifespan under $1k? Ideally $700 or under but I might just have to bite the bullet and pay more. Maybe another refurbished business class laptop but the T430 definitely had a cheap replacement battery, it only lasted 2-3 hours.

I’ll look and see what discount programs my jobs have, I’m even considering a MacBook Air because IDGAF about laptop gaming aside from wanting to get around to playing Disco Elysium and a native Unix command line would be nice even though WSL isn’t too bad these days.

For that price range, I'd probably consider a used or refurbished ThinkPad T series. A business class line from HP or Dell could be alright, too. There's also sales to consider. I like to look on https://www.techbargains.com/ for computer and tech deals since slickdeals is a little more general purpose. Right now they have a link to Lenovo X & T series deals with 2022THINKDEAL code although the prices are still a little higher than you mentioned. Also Lenovo shipping can be fast or slow and the website is only sort of accurate. I've had them say it would take 6 weeks and it took two. Techbargains also have a Dell link although it seems like mostly the XPS line that are on sale right now. AFAIK the XPS laptops aren't bad, but I don't have a specific recommendation, you'd need to look around and see what they have. It seems like a lot of the manufacturers are putting the 11th gen intel stuff on sale since the 12th gen is the new hotness. I'm sure 11th gen would be fine for a work primary laptop when you're looking for a deal on a new laptop, however.

edit: the Techbargains link for dell actually is an Outlet link which are used and refurbished. Everything I've bought from the outlet looks brand new unless it was specifically grade b or had some note about the physical condition and they come with a 1 year warranty. There's a lot of XPS laptops in the $740-1k+ range that have decent specs and they tend to refresh their listings fairly often if you want to target some specific thing.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 21, 2022

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

sigma 6 posted:

So the Geek Squad at Best Buy told me the screen on my Asus G15 is repairable and it's currently out for repair. Assumedly sent back for RMA, since I don't thing Geek Squad handles screen replacement.

This led me to buy a MSI GS66 because I need a laptop for work - with the idea of taking it back within the 2 week window. Basically a loaner until I know what's going on with the G15.

Not the ideal situation but I need a portable 3d workstation to work. In any case, I plan on taking the MSI GS66 back but it's a pretty impressive machine and arguably a little snappier than my G15. Definitely a LOT quieter and "feels" a little faster with every day tasks. Also no bright charging light on the back of the laptop. That annoyed me more than I thought it would on the G15.

When I get the G15 back I plan on upgrading the ram and HD but I will be a little sad to return the MSI GS66.

In the meantime I definitely need to decide on what to get as a secondary laptop - since I wasn't planning on keeping the GS66.

For 3D artists, is there one artist laptop which is best for a budget of around 2200?

Would love to make it a hybrid / 2 n1 but I am not sure if that's absolutely necessary if I end up carrying a tablet around anyways.
The MSI Creator looked good but it doesn't have a wacom digitizer. The MSI G76 doesn't look bad for pure power and of course this Legion.
https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000J-01A01?Description=legion&cm_re=legion-_-2WC-000J-01A01-_-Product&quicklink=true
Also see some sales on last year's Alienware but I am not a huge fan of them.

The surface book 2 (which is being replaced) is glitching out 20-40% of the time and it's almost impossible to use. Never will I buy a laptop that detaches in half again. It was great when it worked though.

EDIT:

The newest Creator laptops, the Z16P and Z17 are unique in that they have digitisers for pen support on a full size laptop. Wildly expensive but the spec sheet on them is hard to beat.

Two weeks ago I ordered a Z16 Fujiwara edition, basically a Z16 with a HDR1000 miniLED panel on sale, but it came with a bunch of scratches on the screen, I'm guessing from something gritty being caught in the lid during shipping, so it's currently in the mail back. I was also dumb and didn't notice the Fujiwara edition drops pen/touch due to the unique screen, so if I can get a refund for it I'll likely be looking at the base model Z16p (which is still wild with a 12700H, 3070ti and 1600p165hz screen).

Interesting thing I discovered that wasn't on the spec sheets, the Z16 screen supports Freesync/adaptive sync. Only 60Hz-165Hz range, but you can enable frame multiplying to go below that.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lockback posted:

They are supposed to be nice, I am skeptical of the value especially compared with the legion's I linked.

The MSI might absolutely throttle depending on environment. If suggest something like a cooling pad or just make sure your surface dissipates hear effectively. A laptop like that on a wood desk will probably throttle if you're going full bore.

I went ahead and ordered last years G14 with the 3060. It looks like the 2022 model of the G14 is going to be all AMD and considerably more expensive.

The more I kept looking at gaming laptops, the more I realized how good the G14 is by comparison. I really have always just wanted a company to make an ultra compact gaming laptop like the sager NP5160 from 2011. Huge throwback but it really is hard to find a laptop without "gamery" branding in a compact package like this...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, if you wanted a compact, portable gaming laptop its the G14 in a class by itself. I love mine. There are some online/reddit guides on how to tweak settings to get the most out of the battery. With a medium-low brightness and nothing important turned off I still get ~8 hours watching netflix, a little less on light browsing.

There's also a ASUS setting to keep the battery from charging past 60%. I'd recommend it, just set it to full charge before taking it on a plane or whatever.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

The newest Creator laptops, the Z16P and Z17 are unique in that they have digitisers for pen support on a full size laptop. Wildly expensive but the spec sheet on them is hard to beat.

Two weeks ago I ordered a Z16 Fujiwara edition, basically a Z16 with a HDR1000 miniLED panel on sale, but it came with a bunch of scratches on the screen, I'm guessing from something gritty being caught in the lid during shipping, so it's currently in the mail back. I was also dumb and didn't notice the Fujiwara edition drops pen/touch due to the unique screen, so if I can get a refund for it I'll likely be looking at the base model Z16p (which is still wild with a 12700H, 3070ti and 1600p165hz screen).

Interesting thing I discovered that wasn't on the spec sheets, the Z16 screen supports Freesync/adaptive sync. Only 60Hz-165Hz range, but you can enable frame multiplying to go below that.

This is very interesting. What exactly is the difference between the z16 vs z17? The Z17 seems to have the latest 12th gen I9, so maybe that's it... (?) 16 vs 17 inch screen?

How many other touch screen / hybrid / 2 n 1 machines have an alder lake / 12th gen I9?

BurritoJustice: When you say "unique in that they have digitisers for pen support on a full size laptop" ? Not sure what you mean here. One is 16 inches and one is 17 inches. Surface and Surface book laptops feature touch screens, as do the Zenbooks and the Spectre and a bunch of others.

Just not sure which ones are Wacom digitizers. Preferrably with a 12th gen I9...?
Also maybe a dumb question but what does the Ti designate? I noticed some of the Creators were 3060 and some were 3070Ti.

These Creators are definitely expensive regardless of their configurations.
https://www.excaliberpc.com/774486/msi-creator-z17-a12ugst-049-lunar.html

The Asus Zenbook, X13, Duo, and I think even the vivo book are all touch screen - so the MSI Creator has a lot of competition from Asus in the digital art computer category. Just wish I could look at these models in person. The best buy stores nearby have a pretty limited selection and there isn't much else locally.

Not to sound like a broken record but it would be super cool to see how well the Acer Ezel 7 transforms but holy hell that's an expensive laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/ConceptD-CC715-71-7163-Convertible-i7-10875H-Validated/dp/B087Z87GVN

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 21, 2022

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lockback posted:

I mean, if you wanted a compact, portable gaming laptop its the G14 in a class by itself. I love mine. There are some online/reddit guides on how to tweak settings to get the most out of the battery. With a medium-low brightness and nothing important turned off I still get ~8 hours watching netflix, a little less on light browsing.

There's also a ASUS setting to keep the battery from charging past 60%. I'd recommend it, just set it to full charge before taking it on a plane or whatever.

That's really cool - I wasn't expecting much from the battery if I'm being honest.

What's the USB C charging situation? I doubt it'll really be able to charge the machine while using the 'non-integrated' video card. When charging over USB does the battery still drain when gaming?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So what do the best options look like for an off-lease business notebook at this point? I’d really like Tiger Lake or a Zen3, or failing that at least ice lake / Zen2, but I get those are fairly new still.

I know Dell has fallen from popularity these days but I don’t think Lenovo or HP or others are real favorites either.

Don’t care about a dGPU, do care about build quality, a nice processor and at least a decent screen. Mediocre keyboard is probably a foregone conclusion at this point though :negative:

I realize the answer is dehumanize and face to Apple, or to get one of the xyte replacement Thinkpad mobos, but just trying to shop out any alternatives.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 21, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CerealKilla420 posted:

That's really cool - I wasn't expecting much from the battery if I'm being honest.

What's the USB C charging situation? I doubt it'll really be able to charge the machine while using the 'non-integrated' video card. When charging over USB does the battery still drain when gaming?

My 2020 supports up to 65w and I think the 2021 does 100w. You can still run past the battery during intense usage, but it kept up with Rimworld on a flight to france so it does enough.

Don't plug in the USB-C charging while the AC is plugged in, and vice versa. The 2020 could possibly (rarely) give up the ghost if you do this. I think it was fixed completely in the 2021 but...you know.... still be careful.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

sigma 6 posted:

This is very interesting. What exactly is the difference between the z16 vs z17? The Z17 seems to have the latest 12th gen I9, so maybe that's it... (?) 16 vs 17 inch screen?

How many other touch screen / hybrid / 2 n 1 machines have an alder lake / 12th gen I9?

BurritoJustice: When you say "unique in that they have digitisers for pen support on a full size laptop" ? Not sure what you mean here. One is 16 inches and one is 17 inches. Surface and Surface book laptops feature touch screens, as do the Zenbooks and the Spectre and a bunch of others.

Just not sure which ones are Wacom digitizers. Preferrably with a 12th gen I9...?
Also maybe a dumb question but what does the Ti designate? I noticed some of the Creators were 3060 and some were 3070Ti.

These Creators are definitely expensive regardless of their configurations.
https://www.excaliberpc.com/774486/msi-creator-z17-a12ugst-049-lunar.html

The Asus Zenbook, X13, Duo, and I think even the vivo book are all touch screen - so the MSI Creator has a lot of competition from Asus in the digital art computer category. Just wish I could look at these models in person. The best buy stores nearby have a pretty limited selection and there isn't much else locally.

Not to sound like a broken record but it would be super cool to see how well the Acer Ezel 7 transforms but holy hell that's an expensive laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/ConceptD-CC715-71-7163-Convertible-i7-10875H-Validated/dp/B087Z87GVN

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I've been researching these for a while now, and the stack is a little confusing. When I said "full size laptop", the Z17 is the first 17" laptop with a digitiser, and the Z16 isn't the first but it's rare in the >15 market.

The Creator Z16 is the original design, launched with 11th gen. It only comes with a 3060 GPU at max, and has no pen digitiser options, only a touch and non-touch screen. The Hiroshi Fujiwara edition (which I got for $3000 AUD but was forced to return), is an 11th gen Z16 but with one of the best panels you can find on a laptop. It's a similar screen (same manufacturer) to the miniLED on the M1 Max Macbook Pro, but much faster (165Hz, extremely low measured pixel response times, and GSync support). Unfortunately, I learnt too late that it doesn't have any touch or digitiser support, and mine arrived damaged. The screen was absolutely stunning, however.

At the start of the year they announced 12th gen updates to the creator line in the form of two new models. The main two here are the Z16P and Z17. The Z16P is the same form factor as the Z16 but has a number of improvements. It is slightly thicker to accomodate a vapour chamber cooler, they moved up the whole keyboard by reducing the size of the vents to allow a larger touchpad, and they changed to the same panel as the Fujiwara Z16 but without the miniLED, main difference in the screen over the stock Z16 is better colour coverage (95% AdobeRGB), 165Hz vs 120Hz, and adaptivesync/gsync support. The killer feature though is touch being standard, as well as MPP2.0 pen support. The added cooling allows a higher power limit on the GPU, 90w vs 65w, and you can go above the 3060 to even a 3080ti (though I believe the 3070ti is the sweet spot). They also upped the webcam to a 1080p model from 720p, which is great bc the 720p one was poo poo.

The Z17 is basically a slightly sized up Z16P, same processor/GPU options. If you look at the dimensions it's not actually that much larger than the Z16P as they mostly cut down the bottom bezel. You can expect the larger laptop to run a bit cooler/quieter due to the size but it's a space trade-off. You also get HDMI 2.1 on the Z17.

Now, after all this, they quietly released a 2022 version of the original Z16. A few of the newer features carried over, like the numpad and larger touchpad, but otherwise it's just an older model with 12th gen. It still caps at a 3060, but now at 70w. No new vapour chamber, same older display and webcam etc

Another plus I'd add for MSI is they have the single most open and comprehensive BIOS of any laptop I've ever seen. You can tweak basically every single low level setting, and it even supports XMP on the memory so you don't have to find expensive and slow 3200C22/4800C40 JEDEC memory if you want to add more to the system. Hell, it supports manual memory OC and you can change basically every power/voltage/ratio option but the core multiplier. It's also a plus that it comes with two M.2 4x4.0 slots.

The precalibration on the screen was great. There is a built in program to swap between ICC profiles and even clamp to sRGB, precalibrated for AdobeRGB(95%)/DCI-p3(100%)/display-P3(100%)/sRGB(100%++)

I'm seriously considering going for the Z16P with the 12700H+3070ti option once my Fujiwara return comes through, but there is a large markup in Australia so I am trying to find it overseas reshipped or something. It's $2999 USD online or $5799 AUD locally, which is completely unpalatable. If it's within budget though I think that fits your original requirements perfectly.

The ConceptD is a beautiful computer, and the fold forward design is cool, but the specs are outdated by now and it's absurdly expensive.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Lockback posted:

My 2020 supports up to 65w and I think the 2021 does 100w. You can still run past the battery during intense usage, but it kept up with Rimworld on a flight to france so it does enough.

Don't plug in the USB-C charging while the AC is plugged in, and vice versa. The 2020 could possibly (rarely) give up the ghost if you do this. I think it was fixed completely in the 2021 but...you know.... still be careful.

Good to know - I ordered the 2021 model with the 3060. I have a 95w USB C charging brick and I'll do some experiments to see if I can game with it plugged in.

My guess is that escape from Tarkov is not going to work without the barrel plug power adapter but we shall see...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

For that price range, I'd probably consider a used or refurbished ThinkPad T series. A business class line from HP or Dell could be alright, too. There's also sales to consider. I like to look on https://www.techbargains.com/ for computer and tech deals since slickdeals is a little more general purpose. Right now they have a link to Lenovo X & T series deals with 2022THINKDEAL code although the prices are still a little higher than you mentioned. Also Lenovo shipping can be fast or slow and the website is only sort of accurate. I've had them say it would take 6 weeks and it took two. Techbargains also have a Dell link although it seems like mostly the XPS line that are on sale right now. AFAIK the XPS laptops aren't bad, but I don't have a specific recommendation, you'd need to look around and see what they have. It seems like a lot of the manufacturers are putting the 11th gen intel stuff on sale since the 12th gen is the new hotness. I'm sure 11th gen would be fine for a work primary laptop when you're looking for a deal on a new laptop, however.

edit: the Techbargains link for dell actually is an Outlet link which are used and refurbished. Everything I've bought from the outlet looks brand new unless it was specifically grade b or had some note about the physical condition and they come with a 1 year warranty. There's a lot of XPS laptops in the $740-1k+ range that have decent specs and they tend to refresh their listings fairly often if you want to target some specific thing.

Thanks, I ended up going with a refurbished Latitude 5420, Lenovo had a big gap between $500 IdeaPads and $1200 high end refurbished stuff. Got a 63wh battery so hopefully battery life will be good, the price bump in going for the 16GB and 512GB SSD hurt but I just want something that I can do routine work on and travel with and not worry about for another 5 years like I had with my T430. My second job in theory provides hardware but in practice I have to use my own, and not having a laptop for the past couple days has already been a huge pain.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CerealKilla420 posted:

Good to know - I ordered the 2021 model with the 3060. I have a 95w USB C charging brick and I'll do some experiments to see if I can game with it plugged in.

My guess is that escape from Tarkov is not going to work without the barrel plug power adapter but we shall see...

It'll work, but it'd probably go from "You can game for 2.5-4 hours before the battery dies" to "You can game for 6 hours before the battery dies". When I travel with mine I don't bring the power brick anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On my G15 attached to a 100w USB-C power supply, gaming full tilt, the battery drain is not insignificant. I would say it’s about a 0.5% per minute. That’s not too surprising considering that the draw of the device may be in the 150w range while running in Performance mode.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

T15G with a 3080 can fully drain its battery in about 45 minutes of max GPU usage vs ~7 hours of browsing light media. Plugged in, it’s fine either way.

It’s surprising — idk why — how much power GPUs can consume.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

On my S17 on USB3 charger 3080 absolutely doesn't go full tilt. There's a noticeably less performance, but games like Warhammer 3 Total War play fine. I haven't timed battery drain, but it was a decent amount of time, I'd guess 2 hours or more.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Are any laptops supporting the USB C 2.1 spec of 240 watt PD yet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To my knowledge, nothing is supporting that spec yet. No devices, no power adapters.

I would say probably give it at least two years before it starts showing up.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

It would be cool if by the time 200+ watt PD is available we aren't all wondering when 400+ will land. The turn in the CPU market towards efficiency has me hopeful and I know laptops are only so capable of shedding heat, but marketing based on top end performance metrics consistently moves product and the easiest way to juice those numbers is by shoving power down the gullet of whatever you're trying to sell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anything beyond 240w is going to be a bigger lift than 240w was. 240w is being achieved with 48v@5a. This leaves everything in place as far as cables go since it’s the same 5a cables that support 100w.

I don’t know how feasible it would be to go beyond 48v in these applications due to the heat it would produce, which would mean we need a jump in amperage which would then involve a whole new cable standard.

I would say that devices that need more than 240w are going to either still have a proprietary adapter or maybe they’ll be able to implement dual PD input (like some of the desktop replacements already do dual power supplies.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DNK posted:

T15G with a 3080 can fully drain its battery in about 45 minutes of max GPU usage vs ~7 hours of browsing light media. Plugged in, it’s fine either way.

It’s surprising — idk why — how much power GPUs can consume.

The mobile 3080 is a space heater. It's not the same as the desktop 3080, it's closer to the 3070 core with a bunch more TDP.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I've been researching these for a while now, and the stack is a little confusing. When I said "full size laptop", the Z17 is the first 17" laptop with a digitiser, and the Z16 isn't the first but it's rare in the >15 market.

The Creator Z16 is the original design, launched with 11th gen. It only comes with a 3060 GPU at max, and has no pen digitiser options, only a touch and non-touch screen. The Hiroshi Fujiwara edition (which I got for $3000 AUD but was forced to return), is an 11th gen Z16 but with one of the best panels you can find on a laptop. It's a similar screen (same manufacturer) to the miniLED on the M1 Max Macbook Pro, but much faster (165Hz, extremely low measured pixel response times, and GSync support). Unfortunately, I learnt too late that it doesn't have any touch or digitiser support, and mine arrived damaged. The screen was absolutely stunning, however.

At the start of the year they announced 12th gen updates to the creator line in the form of two new models. The main two here are the Z16P and Z17. The Z16P is the same form factor as the Z16 but has a number of improvements. It is slightly thicker to accomodate a vapour chamber cooler, they moved up the whole keyboard by reducing the size of the vents to allow a larger touchpad, and they changed to the same panel as the Fujiwara Z16 but without the miniLED, main difference in the screen over the stock Z16 is better colour coverage (95% AdobeRGB), 165Hz vs 120Hz, and adaptivesync/gsync support. The killer feature though is touch being standard, as well as MPP2.0 pen support. The added cooling allows a higher power limit on the GPU, 90w vs 65w, and you can go above the 3060 to even a 3080ti (though I believe the 3070ti is the sweet spot). They also upped the webcam to a 1080p model from 720p, which is great bc the 720p one was poo poo.

The Z17 is basically a slightly sized up Z16P, same processor/GPU options. If you look at the dimensions it's not actually that much larger than the Z16P as they mostly cut down the bottom bezel. You can expect the larger laptop to run a bit cooler/quieter due to the size but it's a space trade-off. You also get HDMI 2.1 on the Z17.

Now, after all this, they quietly released a 2022 version of the original Z16. A few of the newer features carried over, like the numpad and larger touchpad, but otherwise it's just an older model with 12th gen. It still caps at a 3060, but now at 70w. No new vapour chamber, same older display and webcam etc

Another plus I'd add for MSI is they have the single most open and comprehensive BIOS of any laptop I've ever seen. You can tweak basically every single low level setting, and it even supports XMP on the memory so you don't have to find expensive and slow 3200C22/4800C40 JEDEC memory if you want to add more to the system. Hell, it supports manual memory OC and you can change basically every power/voltage/ratio option but the core multiplier. It's also a plus that it comes with two M.2 4x4.0 slots.

The precalibration on the screen was great. There is a built in program to swap between ICC profiles and even clamp to sRGB, precalibrated for AdobeRGB(95%)/DCI-p3(100%)/display-P3(100%)/sRGB(100%++)

I'm seriously considering going for the Z16P with the 12700H+3070ti option once my Fujiwara return comes through, but there is a large markup in Australia so I am trying to find it overseas reshipped or something. It's $2999 USD online or $5799 AUD locally, which is completely unpalatable. If it's within budget though I think that fits your original requirements perfectly.

The ConceptD is a beautiful computer, and the fold forward design is cool, but the specs are outdated by now and it's absurdly expensive.

This is really great info but I am still a little confused because of all the various MSI creator models. Most importantly which ones EXACTLY supports a stylus? Preferrably with the current I9 in it, but I would be OK with last year's too at this point.
This one seems perfect but doesn't appear to be touch screen:
https://www.adorama.com/msicr1511492.html
This one is almost 1500 more, has the same 3080 in it, and STILL has no touch screen (!)
https://www.adorama.com/msic17b11495.html
Does this one support a stylus? Does multitouch automatically mean stylus support? So confusing. Guessing P means "pen"?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1643841-REG/msi_z16_a11uet_046_creator_z16_i7_11800h_16gb.html

I need the best i7 or i9 + nvidia gpu combo in hybrid / touchscreen format ideally. I thought the MSI Creator might be it but now I am not so sure.
Don't the Asus Creator laptops also come with stylus? Specifically I am thinking of the zenbook duo and the x13?

The Asus Creator line seem like more bang for buck, although I am not fond of the x13 being locked at 16gig ram. The zenbook duo is also kind of an interesting, odd duck. Not sure how I feel about articulating screens but more screen space, especially with a stylus is kind of a novel idea. Just feels like the secondary screen would break easily and I am still confused if a stylus works with both of them.

Acer Concept D is very cool but you are right ultimately - too much money for old tech. Just noticed this Surface Laptop Studio existed and it looks a much better option.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F8XX4NS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop

Guess I could just give up on a built in tablet, but I feel like last year's tech is strong enough for most 3d sculpting stuff, so a i7 or i9 with nvidia gpu 2070 or better should be plenty in a tablet or hybrid. Why are there so relatively few? Heat issues? The surface book 2 got pretty drat hot.

The form factor of the MS Surface Laptop Studio and Acer Concept D really appeal to me because after using the MS Surface Book 2 for years, it just makes sense to get the screen closer vs. detach completely from a base.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 23, 2022

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Anyone used Server Supply to buy spare parts? They have a 42T3737 x200 keyboard that I want.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I ended up going with a refurbished Latitude 5420, Lenovo had a big gap between $500 IdeaPads and $1200 high end refurbished stuff. Got a 63wh battery so hopefully battery life will be good, the price bump in going for the 16GB and 512GB SSD hurt but I just want something that I can do routine work on and travel with and not worry about for another 5 years like I had with my T430. My second job in theory provides hardware but in practice I have to use my own, and not having a laptop for the past couple days has already been a huge pain.

Well, nevermind, they cancelled my order without notifying me, I wouldn’t have known if people at work weren’t talking about how terrible Dell is about fulfilling orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, nevermind, they cancelled my order without notifying me, I wouldn’t have known if people at work weren’t talking about how terrible Dell is about fulfilling orders.

Well I'm hoping my Dell order goes through then. Pulled the trigger this morning on a G15 i7-11800H with an RTX 3060 bumping the 16gb of RAM to 64gb RAM.