Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Grimmeh posted:

Anyone ever have Lego bricks break apart from tension? I have had a small flat 1x1 brown piece break in half five times while building the Minecraft Nether Micro-World. I’ve never had this happen before.

"Brittle Brown" was an issue that affected Reddish Brown and Dark Red mainly, although I've also had old blue pieces crack too. It was due to the dye they used making bricks that seemed fine at the time but grow increasingly brittle the older they get. I believe they'll replace the broken parts for you if you contact them and have a list of each part that broke but I've never tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

davebo posted:

"Brittle Brown" was an issue that affected Reddish Brown and Dark Red mainly, although I've also had old blue pieces crack too. It was due to the dye they used making bricks that seemed fine at the time but grow increasingly brittle the older they get. I believe they'll replace the broken parts for you if you contact them and have a list of each part that broke but I've never tried it.

Good to know that it’s a known issue! Hopefully there were enough extra pieces to get the build finished, but I’ll definitely get at Lego for some replacement bricks.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Grimmeh posted:

Anyone ever have Lego bricks break apart from tension? I have had a small flat 1x1 brown piece break in half five times while building the Minecraft Nether Micro-World. I’ve never had this happen before.

I feel like the old reddish brown shrinks/contracts over time. I've had some 1x2s shatter in-place in constructed sets, and more recently I had a 1x2 break in half and a 4x6 crack (but not fatally) while building a small set from 2012 or so that I opened.

Is there any way to order replacement reddish brown parts and have any assurance of not getting old/bad ones?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Finally saw the titanic in person. An impressively large build. I don't care about the titanic, but if they did like an Edmund Fitzgerald or something I might be tempted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Scipiotik posted:

Finally saw the titanic in person. An impressively large build. I don't care about the titanic, but if they did like an Edmund Fitzgerald or something I might be tempted.

Would the set come with a Gordon Lightfoot minifig?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Would the set come with a Gordon Lightfoot minifig?

And a Big Fig they called Gitche Gumee.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBrqUa_1yk

Original prototype for the actuators that position the mirrors on the james webb space telescope

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I have to say, the countach and Ferrari from this round of speed champions are exquisite.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

Any suggestions on how to make a simple micro Gotham city with my kid? YouTube or whatever, I've never done micro style buildings

If you mean mini-modular scale (8x8 baseplate per building) I have free instructions for some at Rebrickable you could look at for ideas. I think I was doing like 8-9 plates deep on first floors, and 7 plates or so on each additional floor. Using 1x2 jumpers as doors. Working at that scale you'll want to abuse jumpers and other offset things a lot since half-stud dimensions start meaning a lot more. A lot of other people like to build with small plates mounted sideways to try and compress more features in but I kind of feel that looks bad in general (I did do it to center a stripe on my mini Diner so there are times for it).

You can find them here, I think I've done 7 total and they're all recent so they should be on the first page:
https://rebrickable.com/users/mattking4/mocs/

Will probably do some more Friends-themed ones in the future but it's getting warm out and life is returning to the woods so I'm probably not gonna be doing as much Lego stuff until the fall.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
At the lighthouse in Hilton Head SC i geeked out at the Lego minifigs they had on the model ship.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

If you mean mini-modular scale (8x8 baseplate per building) I have free instructions for some at Rebrickable you could look at for ideas. I think I was doing like 8-9 plates deep on first floors, and 7 plates or so on each additional floor. Using 1x2 jumpers as doors. Working at that scale you'll want to abuse jumpers and other offset things a lot since half-stud dimensions start meaning a lot more. A lot of other people like to build with small plates mounted sideways to try and compress more features in but I kind of feel that looks bad in general (I did do it to center a stripe on my mini Diner so there are times for it).

You can find them here, I think I've done 7 total and they're all recent so they should be on the first page:
https://rebrickable.com/users/mattking4/mocs/

Will probably do some more Friends-themed ones in the future but it's getting warm out and life is returning to the woods so I'm probably not gonna be doing as much Lego stuff until the fall.
Yeah I didn't know the term. Advent calendar scale.

There's tiny versions of Gotham, metropolis etc in the loading screens of the Lego games my kid loves and I was trying to get inspiration for how to make those when he wants "Gotham" next to his regular size fire and police stations

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I didn't know the term. Advent calendar scale.

There's tiny versions of Gotham, metropolis etc in the loading screens of the Lego games my kid loves and I was trying to get inspiration for how to make those when he wants "Gotham" next to his regular size fire and police stations

Something like the loading screen build in this video at 5:27?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qWPtdxjl3U&t=324s

That one is a 16x16 plate build and it's pretty complex, there's quite a bit there I don't see the solution to right off. You'd need to be able to capture 360 degree videos or at least some good reference screenshots to work from. I'd say it's a smaller scale than mini-modular, and is closer to the tiny buildings from the advent calendars like you said - it's just that one happens to be an enormous building at that scale. Some of those trees are made from gears threaded onto an antenna or bar, some of the smaller round ones look like minifigure hair pieces. You can see a lot of headlight bricks, and also a lot of side stud bricks (with grills etc on them). Not sure what the tiny roof points are and hope they're a real piece, they look neat.

Edit - I'd say a "floor" at that scale is only 4 plates thick, like one for the base and three for the wall height.

One more thing - from the bit I've seen of the Lego games, most of their in-game builds are possible and use real parts, but they don't always use real/available colors for them. So even if you work from shots you'll probably need to make some part or color substitutions.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 21, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I fear it has pretty low chances of beeing made, but that would be a day-1 purchase for me:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/dc67d247-ee40-423b-8864-d468fa701e14

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I do want this to be made however.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tuo posted:

I fear it has pretty low chances of beeing made, but that would be a day-1 purchase for me:

Wow!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finished the BMW Bike. Ignoring the sticker sheets, this might be one of my favourite Technic sets since…hmm…hard to say. I think it even beats Bucket Excavator and the Red Crane-Thing for me. Might be my favourite set since the 8856 because that blew my mind when I was a kid, with the working collective and all.

It gave me so many of the good „what the gently caress do you want me to do????“ moments in regard to the instructions, because the building techniques are so unique, and outside of working brakes or ride height device it has basically all the functions you can cram into that amount of space.

Build was so much fun! Please, Lego, continue with Technic sets like this.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m forgetting the rules on posting leaks so I’ll just say promobricks has leaked images of the Dagobah scene and Trench Run. Dagobah is 80 euro and Trench Run is 60.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

tuo posted:

This is the most interesting Ideas thing since the Piano imo and really shows what Ideas should be about rather than just more sitcom dioramas.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Scipiotik posted:

I have to say, the countach and Ferrari from this round of speed champions are exquisite.

Also, I’d love to find out myself but as predicted Lasership sucks and delivered my package either elsewhere or not at all, and then also backdated the delivery date to make it look like it was delivered on time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m forgetting the rules on posting leaks so I’ll just say promobricks has leaked images of the Dagobah scene and Trench Run. Dagobah is 80 euro and Trench Run is 60.

Feels like a lot of the 1000 pieces in the Dagobah set went into the base.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Dagobah set looks okay...that's one I'll hem and haw on until I eventually see it in Target or something. Trench run is a day one buy for me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This is the most interesting Ideas thing since the Piano imo and really shows what Ideas should be about rather than just more sitcom dioramas.

Yeah….and it‘s a train….so…. :negative:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

lol they gave Alex the smaller legs

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

tuo posted:

Finished the BMW Bike. Ignoring the sticker sheets, this might be one of my favourite Technic sets since…hmm…hard to say. I think it even beats Bucket Excavator and the Red Crane-Thing for me. Might be my favourite set since the 8856 because that blew my mind when I was a kid, with the working collective and all.

It gave me so many of the good „what the gently caress do you want me to do????“ moments in regard to the instructions, because the building techniques are so unique, and outside of working brakes or ride height device it has basically all the functions you can cram into that amount of space.

Build was so much fun! Please, Lego, continue with Technic sets like this.

thanks, you’ve pushed me over the edge, I’ve been pondering the BMW ever since getting hooked on technic with the batmobile. I first read that as “working brakes” and was immediately like whoa, I gotta get that :v: and then I realized you meant everything except those two things.

Technic does really feel like one of those things where it’s hard to go back to simpler models after you get the more intricate stuff, huh?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

i believe that we're okay to post pictures as long as we're not the originator of the leak

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zwille posted:

thanks, you’ve pushed me over the edge, I’ve been pondering the BMW ever since getting hooked on technic with the batmobile. I first read that as “working brakes” and was immediately like whoa, I gotta get that :v: and then I realized you meant everything except those two things.

Technic does really feel like one of those things where it’s hard to go back to simpler models after you get the more intricate stuff, huh?

I was hooked on Technic as a kid, and when I went back to Lego I apparently hit the recent „golden years“ in Technic with the Bucket Excavator, Red Crane, especially the Claas Xerion which is just mindblowing in how the functions are realized. I continued into the „super sportscar years“ and while I enjoyed the orange Porsche, imo it was mostly downhill from there. The Liebherr is pretty cool, but expensive as hell, and the functions are okay.

This bike though gave me old-school Technic memories in the sense that it‘s at some parts actually not that easy to build, and really impressive what they crammed into the space available. It also looks sick as hell, even sitting next to a Pocher 1:4 Duc. Stickers are stickers, I think that topic is no longer worth discussing.

I only got it as my VIP points ran out, so I just picked the thing I thought I‘d might like the most. Maybe still wait for a discount if you can, but it is one of the best Technic sets I ever built.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh forgot to mention, I got it for like €160 anyway as opposed to €200, pretty good deal as far as I’m concerned. The batmobile was €30 off too.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rad Valtar posted:

I was just looking to put the diorama of Hoth, Endor and Tatooine into a single display case to keep dust off them. Guess I’ll keep room for the Trench Run too.

Dagobah looks more like the scale of Darth Vader Meditation Chamber or Bespin Dual.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zwille posted:

Oh forgot to mention, I got it for like €160 anyway as opposed to €200, pretty good deal as far as I’m concerned. The batmobile was €30 off too.

That‘s a good deal. Also don‘t be as stupid as me and take a closer look at the rear brake disk dimension in the instructions (I of course picked the wrong one…). It‘s very clear, but I still kinda overlooked up and had to rebuild a little.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rad Valtar posted:

There are no rules against posting leaks afaik so here you go:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

RatHat posted:

There are no rules against posting leaks afaik so here you go:

Ok I’m in.

Probably somewhat hypocritical of me but while I hate the sitcom dioramas, I love the vignette stuff they’ve been doing lately.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Ok I’m in.

Probably somewhat hypocritical of me but while I hate the sitcom dioramas, I love the vignette stuff they’ve been doing lately.

I’d never buy a sitcom one, I don’t love any show that much, the Star Wars original trilogy stuff hits my nostalgic button.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I feel like the old reddish brown shrinks/contracts over time. I've had some 1x2s shatter in-place in constructed sets, and more recently I had a 1x2 break in half and a 4x6 crack (but not fatally) while building a small set from 2012 or so that I opened.

Is there any way to order replacement reddish brown parts and have any assurance of not getting old/bad ones?

Seems LEGO is very aware of the issue. I went through the official Broken Bricks process of the website and have 9 little tiny bricks coming my way.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That trench run diorama looks especially good!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

This show got randomly recommended to me on youtube a few months ago. I watch a few clips a week. Great show. I wonder when the US will get a version that will be inferior to the original.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

esperantinc posted:

Dagobah set looks okay...that's one I'll hem and haw on until I eventually see it in Target or something. Trench run is a day one buy for me.

ha. I was going to say the opposite. I love the dagobah one. It's what I wished the Yoda hut from a couple of years ago was. Trench run is cool I'm just less into micro scale for the most part. Will probably get both either way.

I guess there is also a trash compactor reveal that's supposed to be revealed this week which would also be rad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok I need the trench run but also a handle so that when I rotate it the ships move up and down like it's the History of Flight

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

This show got randomly recommended to me on youtube a few months ago. I watch a few clips a week. Great show. I wonder when the US will get a version that will be inferior to the original.

Doh hoh hoh, sweet child, yes, no American remake already, right right.

It already exists and it's loving terrible, do yourself the kindness of not looking it up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Doh hoh hoh, sweet child, yes, no American remake already, right right.

It already exists and it's loving terrible, do yourself the kindness of not looking it up.

I see. Well, at least Alex is on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I am almost 50 and have rediscovered my love for Lego. My hands shake to the point that I can't paint traditional models and building these really helps calm my anxiety and PTSD. Plus it's cheaper than golf. For now.

My question is, is there a way to get a heads up about when sold out models will be back in stock? Specifically the new MacLaren formula car.

I just jumped to the end of this thread, looking forward to working my way back. Thanks for any help.