Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember that Soken was in the hospital undergoing chemo as he wrote it and cry a third time.

E: FINAL FANTASY XIV: Endwalker - Cry a Third Time

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Post Shadowbringers is insane. Playing this during release must have been great with every patch bringing in some new and crazy poo poo.

Although I imagine most of the trials having mid battle cutscenes might make farming annoying if the EX/Savage versions include them, but drat are they cool as hell the first time.

Also looking up the lyrics to To The Edge and I'm crying again after crying at the end of that trial. :smith:

That was when I finally caught up to the story and it did indeed whip major rear end.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Post Shadowbringers is insane. Playing this during release must have been great with every patch bringing in some new and crazy poo poo.

Although I imagine most of the trials having mid battle cutscenes might make farming annoying if the EX/Savage versions include them, but drat are they cool as hell the first time.

Also looking up the lyrics to To The Edge and I'm crying again after crying at the end of that trial. :smith:

There was six months between 5.2 (the big scene where Elidibus reveals that pretty much everyone has the Echo) and 5.3 because of COVID, and man-oh-man was that wait a struggle.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I sorta remember the covid-induced delay in the miasma of 2020 that caused 5.3 to get shifted back for months, so having it finally come out was a huge payoff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume the wait times in between post-Stormblood patches were equally nuts (even if shorter) with the Scions dropping like flies

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember that Soken was in the hospital undergoing chemo as he wrote it and cry a third time.

E: FINAL FANTASY XIV: Endwalker - Cry a Third Time

I read somewhere that if To The End was Soken's fight against cancer, the Endwalker theme is him celebrating life and looking forward to the future. :unsmith:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"Stay strong. Keep the faith. At duty’s end, we will meet again. We will. We will… The rains have ceased. And we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." :smith:

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Chillgamesh posted:

There was six months between 5.2 (the big scene where Elidibus reveals that pretty much everyone has the Echo) and 5.3 because of COVID, and man-oh-man was that wait a struggle.

Even worse your options for endgame were memoria miseria extreme for glam, TEA for Ultimate, or Light Rampant or Ramuh Memes in savage. Havign neither bozja zone was a struggle and the only relic progress you could make was dropping 1000 poetics on a new one which wasn't hard considering *Flails at hunts*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It was pretty wild seeing how packed the servers still were even going into month 6 of the 5.2-5.3 wait. I think it really sold the importance of digital spaces, and FFXIV being a particularly good social venue helped sell it to a lot of people, I think.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Vermain posted:

It was pretty wild seeing how packed the servers still were even going into month 6 of the 5.2-5.3 wait. I think it really sold the importance of digital spaces, and FFXIV being a particularly good social venue helped sell it to a lot of people, I think.

It also really helps that a lot of older content is still valuable to progress. Most of my static took this downtime to join groups to clear UwU or UCOB (Or Both) and I know a lot of people who normally don't touch endgame with a 10 ft pole decided to go do Eureka to get the Ozma mount. Not to mention savage glams, BLU raids, and older relics (lmao zodiac)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm in Tam Tara Hard with this ninja who I'm watching and she never appears to do anything but her standard melee 1-2-3. I don't see one Raiton, Katon, or Death Blossom be we fighting boss or trash pack. Did I see a bot, or just a hopeless scrub?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Probably just scrub.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SuperKlaus posted:

So I'm in Tam Tara Hard with this ninja who I'm watching and she never appears to do anything but her standard melee 1-2-3. I don't see one Raiton, Katon, or Death Blossom be we fighting boss or trash pack. Did I see a bot, or just a hopeless scrub?

I'm also voting scrub because that was me like a month ago.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
On the one hand being able to level every job on one character is fantastic and I wouldn't have it any other way. On the other you are going to see people playing a job only to see the number go up and have no interest in learning how to play it well or even competently.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
A probably dumb question: I have a mid 80s paladin (along with RDM, RPR and SGE at similar levels) and have been playing around with a WAR now level 56 - just got raw intuition, as I was getting a bit sick of the convoluted PLD rotation and was wondering if the WAR one would suit me better.

I just don't understand why the PLD mitigation and thus ability to manage damage isn't just flat out superior to the other three tanks, with Shelltron's relatively shorter cooldown, 20% (?) mitigation and then the bonus healing etc as well as the ongoing advantage they get from just having a shield block chance. I'm sure I could math it all out but I don't see how the healing from the later level WAR abilities can possibly make up for it, except I guess the big dungeon pulls? (Which obviously are the hardest bit of dungeons, but even so, I would think the flat mitigation is even better). But i'm not experiencing this in practice as I level WAR, and it seems like all the tanks are more or less equal for pretty much everything else other than the big pulls. Is raw intuition / the ability that replaces it functionally just as good / better despite less uptime? The DRK and GNB abilities don't seem as solid either, but everyone seems to do OK.

edit: I'm wondering this because i'm really enjoying WAR and i've seen in practice on my SGE how durable it seems to be, but i just don't quite get how it can be in practice. I just wish I could take the WAR ability set but with the DRK/PLD theme!

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Blamestorm posted:

A probably dumb question: I have a mid 80s paladin (along with RDM, RPR and SGE at similar levels) and have been playing around with a WAR now level 56 - just got raw intuition, as I was getting a bit sick of the convoluted PLD rotation and was wondering if the WAR one would suit me better.

I just don't understand why the PLD mitigation and thus ability to manage damage isn't just flat out superior to the other three tanks, with Shelltron's relatively shorter cooldown, 20% (?) mitigation and then the bonus healing etc as well as the ongoing advantage they get from just having a shield block chance. I'm sure I could math it all out but I don't see how the healing from the later level WAR abilities can possibly make up for it, except I guess the big dungeon pulls? (Which obviously are the hardest bit of dungeons, but even so, I would think the flat mitigation is even better). But i'm not experiencing this in practice as I level WAR, and it seems like all the tanks are more or less equal for pretty much everything else other than the big pulls. Is raw intuition / the ability that replaces it functionally just as good / better despite less uptime? The DRK and GNB abilities don't seem as solid either, but everyone seems to do OK.

edit: I'm wondering this because i'm really enjoying WAR and i've seen in practice on my SGE how durable it seems to be, but i just don't quite get how it can be in practice. I just wish I could take the WAR ability set but with the DRK/PLD theme!

The thing is, Bloodwhetting really is that great in big trash pulls. You hit the button, and pretty much the next several aoe attacks you do will top you off every time, give you a damage resist, and a 400 potency barrier. Getting WAR from 80 to 90, I pretty much felt invincible in dungeons. It's absolutely wild.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
raw intuition/bloodwhetting is hilariously good in dungeon pulls, because the healing from it is per enemy hit. so while paladin gets more damage reduction from holy sheltron, they're only ever getting 1000 potency of healing from their regen, while in a dungeon pull as small as 3 enemies, bloodwhetting is giving a warrior 3600 potency of healing (plus a 400 potency shield), with that amount going up with larger pulls

paladins also have fewer personal cooldowns than warriors (holy sheltron/sentinel/hallowed ground/passage of arms sort of vs. bloodwhetting/vengeance/holmgang/thrill of battle/equilibrium, plus warrior benefits from shake it off while paladin doesn't get anything from divine veil)

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
OK - that helps. Er I don't get anything from divine veil? drat, I thought I got the barrier too. (Small as it is)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

Short answer is that it doesn't really matter outside of Ultimates.

Long answer is that PLD has 1 fewer cooldown than WAR and GNB and significantly less healing than WAR. Passive blocks and higher damage mitigation on (Holy) Sheltron don't make up for it. In practice I would say WAR > GNB >= PLD >> DRK as far as main tank durability, but in the content that that matters you want to be swapping as needed to make use of both tanks' cooldowns.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've spent the last few weeks of my limited playtime working on my gatherers, which I should finish tonight once the Custom Deliveries reset, and I've finally started to dig into crafting, mostly to start in on the Tribal crafting quests (they're good!) What I'm struggling with is how to keep myself geared, I'm focusing on two crafters right now just for the sake of my sanity, I've got one about to hit 70 and the other close to 60 and while I haven't hit any walls on Tribe or Job quests, it's definitely getting snug and I'm definitely not able to make even level Collectables--not even close really--so I've got roughly fuckall for crafters' scrips. I've been mostly piecemealing gear from vendors and now I've got access to some stuff from the Tribes and then grabbing tools however I can manage, mostly off the MB but it doesn't feel like I'm being efficient and trying to buy accessories for crafters is either impossible or highway robbery on the MB. I'm not really concerned with getting to the cutting edge of crafting or bothering with macros, I'm just trying to get them leveled.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Blamestorm posted:

I just don't understand why the PLD mitigation and thus ability to manage damage isn't just flat out superior to the other three tanks, with Shelltron's relatively shorter cooldown, 20% (?) mitigation and then the bonus healing etc as well as the ongoing advantage they get from just having a shield block chance. I'm sure I could math it all out but I don't see how the healing from the later level WAR abilities can possibly make up for it, except I guess the big dungeon pulls?
I recently made an effort post about this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3987398&pagenumber=293&perpage=40&highlight=veil#post522003173

Paladins do have the "best mitigation", in that they mitigate a higher percentage of damage than warriors, and Holy Shelton is the best of the 25 second tank cooldowns, but they have one less defensive cooldown and warrior self-healing really is that good, even single target.

quote:

Self healing: Warriors have Equilibrium (60 sec cd, 1200 potency heal+15 sec 200 potency HOT), Bloodwhetting (25 sec cd, 400 potency shield+400 potency heal per weaponskill hit in the next 8 seconds and heals crit if the attack crits, $texas healing if AOEing,), Thrill of Battle (90 sec cd, +20% health and 20% heal, increases all self-healing other than Bloodwhetting's by 20%), Shake It Off (90 sec, AOE 300 potency heal + 15-21% health shield) and a 250 potency heal on the 3 in their 1-2-3 combo. Paladins have healing from Holy Sheltron (1000 potency/use, can use approx every 25 seconds but they start with two 'charges' worth) and Holy Spirit (1600 potency/minute from Req), but Clemency is a GCD heal and a significant DPS loss if you could be hitting something. It's not even close.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Bloodwhetting is essentially 2000 potency worth of HP. 400 base in shield and then another 1600 additional in healing from the 4 GCDs you'll get under it in single target situations. In most situations, the 1000 additional potency in healing is more HP recovered than the additional mitigation that Holy Sheltron has over Bloodwhetting, especially if paired with another defensive CD.

On top of that, the main situation where higher mitigation overall matters is big pulls during dungeons. PLD would nominally have the advantage here in terms of damage mitigated except Bloodwhetting heals for every target hit it so basically becomes 4x Benediction for the Warrior during these big pulls. In content where a tankbuster is going to delete tanks, the higher mitigation % on PLD barely matters since they're designed for every tank to survive with the same general suite of CDs and the healing afterwards is pretty much the same across all healers.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

rantmo posted:

I've spent the last few weeks of my limited playtime working on my gatherers, which I should finish tonight once the Custom Deliveries reset, and I've finally started to dig into crafting, mostly to start in on the Tribal crafting quests (they're good!) What I'm struggling with is how to keep myself geared, I'm focusing on two crafters right now just for the sake of my sanity, I've got one about to hit 70 and the other close to 60 and while I haven't hit any walls on Tribe or Job quests, it's definitely getting snug and I'm definitely not able to make even level Collectables--not even close really--so I've got roughly fuckall for crafters' scrips. I've been mostly piecemealing gear from vendors and now I've got access to some stuff from the Tribes and then grabbing tools however I can manage, mostly off the MB but it doesn't feel like I'm being efficient and trying to buy accessories for crafters is either impossible or highway robbery on the MB. I'm not really concerned with getting to the cutting edge of crafting or bothering with macros, I'm just trying to get them leveled.

Whatever you figure out I hope you pass on in here or on the discord because I'm running into the same problem. Custom deliveries are pretty much how I've done most of my recent leveling and finding accessories is really difficult.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Vendor gear is normal quality and missing a TON of substats. You always want high quality. You should unlock all your crafters and at a minimum do your daily grand company supply and provisioning missions. For most stuff, you can buy the turn ins off the marketboard for cheap. Starred HQ turn ins at low levels will net you multiple level ups at once. Doing daily GC missions can level all your crafters from 0 to 90 in a couple of months even if you don’t actually craft anything yourself.

Ideally you’re leveling all your crafters at once and can just craft your own leveling gear. Since you’re not, though, just ask in your FC chat and a kind goon can probably make you a full set of DoH or DoL gear in five minutes or so.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mr. Nice! posted:

Vendor gear is normal quality and missing a TON of substats.

If that was it, normal quality gear wouldn't be that bad. They're also missing a ton of main stats, making normal gear basically worthless.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

King of the Cosmos posted:

Whatever you figure out I hope you pass on in here or on the discord because I'm running into the same problem. Custom deliveries are pretty much how I've done most of my recent leveling and finding accessories is really difficult.

A friend of mine who's an Omnicrafter on multiple alts suggested using Deliveries to build up scrip and gearing with that to get 60 and 70 gear and letting that carry to the next expansion level. I was able to get decent enough level 50 left side gear through my GC and I think my accessories were probably MB purchases. At 60 there are scrip accessories though the armor is all by class instead of individual which is a kick in the inventory, but 70 and 80 both have good scrip gear that's shared among all crafters. I'll use one of my Custom Delivery sets to finish Fisher tonight and then switch to crafting the rest for scrips and XP. Apparently you can turn in on a different class than you craft the Collectable with so that's useful for XP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The game wants you to omnicraft. It used to force this with crossclass skills. Now it’s just functionally better instead of required.

You need weaver and leatherworker to make leftside armor. You need carpenter for accessories. You need bsm, arm, and crp for mainhands and offhands. Alchemists make reagents for all of the above. Cul is the only one that doesn’t explicitly craft something that the rest use.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Posting this here since the /r/FFXIV mods deleted it (after 3700 upvotes) for not being relevant to FFXIV. :mad:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 22, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They’ve all got a red stripe because they’re all DPS to some extent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazy posted:

Posting this here since the /r/FFXIV mods deleted it (after 3700 upvotes) for not being relevant to FFXIV. :v:

Is it weird to be impressed by the editing work? Any time I try something like that I have to touch up a whole bunch of edge cases, but aside from a couple of points on the red one it looks great. It's a solid color, which helps. Is there a way to do pure-color substitutions like that which will account for lighting and shadows, or did it all have to be done by hand?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bruceski posted:

Is it weird to be impressed by the editing work? Any time I try something like that I have to touch up a whole bunch of edge cases, but aside from a couple of points on the red one it looks great. It's a solid color, which helps. Is there a way to do pure-color substitutions like that which will account for lighting and shadows, or did it all have to be done by hand?

It's a Photoshop HSL adjustment layer, which was just done over a mask made with the magic wand brush.

Took this screenshot of the layers to refute the mods' "low effort" claims. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bruceski posted:

There's some serious chromatic abberation in the Green on the healer engine and you can see the Feathering around the edges of the color where the train meets the sky and around the yellow porthole on the DPS engine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazy posted:

It's a Photoshop HSL adjustment layer, which was just done over a mask made with the magic wand brush.

Neat, I'll have to remember that for my toolkit next time I shitpost.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kazy posted:

Posting this here since the /r/FFXIV mods deleted it (after 3700 upvotes) for not being relevant to FFXIV. :mad:

this is why r/shitpostxiv is the superior ffxiv subreddit

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kazy posted:

The FFXIV subreddit can be infuriating because if you make a FFXIV-related joke but don’t actually include any visuals from FFXIV, they’ll delete it as “not relevant.” Like, if you changed the “1” on the side to be the role icons, they wouldn’t delete it. Stupid arbitrary rule. (I think they did it to curb a flood of generic memes, but I think it’s still a bad rule)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Kazy posted:

They delete any post that isn’t explicitly readable as FFXIV. If you slapped Y’shtola’s face on the train they would’ve left it up, the moderation is so stupid.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Decided to stop using Nvidia supersampling to deal with the odd framerate hits I was getting, turns out that was cpu related as there is simply way too loving people in Balmung's steps of Nald. All this animation and vfx updates. The 2080s is only hitting like 60% usage there. It was not like this a couple weeks ago, wonder if it is the little ladies day stuff. Dropping me from 100+ fps to near 26 fps.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In light of that one post a few days back saying they want a Hrothgar Scion I'm petitioning for that position to be filled by Runar.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Started Monk last night after the thread discussion, I cleaned out a bunch of old gear so I didn't have much low level stuff floating around.

I was greeted with this today when I went to log in.

FFXIV After Dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

But that's how every Au'ra is dressed