Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Smythe posted:

i liked ryan reynolds and kid ryan reynolds movie with bonus all the avengers or whatever but as other people it was fun to watch

Ryan Reynolds is a try-hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just finished all of Search Party and just…. Jesus Christ I can’t do anything but admire the balls of it all. Fuckin’ hell.

Also the quickest I’ve ever binged 5 seasons of a show.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed the first episode of Maisel as much as I did. I hope they keep far away from anything resembling social issues this season before they poo poo the bed more with braindead. Keep it a fluffy goofy upper west side pastiche please because that was fun again.

.... they will gently caress it up I'm sure.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just finished the fifth and, I believe, best so far episode of Pam & Tommy. It's good but it's definitely a huge bummer.

Holy poo poo Semi-Charmed Life over the end credits, wow.

Is there a lot of drug content? RE that spoiler.

e: watched all of After Beth and loved it. It starts out with so much cringe it was hard to get through but I love Schumer's wry humor.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've only watched the first available episodes of Minx, but it feels like it took a lot of inspiration from GLOW. Uptight feminist wants to do serious X, has no options but the most lowbrow X, learns that lowbrow X has as much (or more) opportunity for dignity, empowerment, and creativity than serious X. The first two episodes are practically procedural: Joyce thinks some sex thing is gross and beneath her, Doug tough loves her about how the world works, she has a heartfelt talk with her infinitely more accepting sister, who unlocks that "real" women want and worry about sex thing, then she finds a way that make sex thing "feminist."

Ironically, because Jake Johnson is such a bigger star than Alison Brie Ophelia Lovibond, their relationship seems more dominant than her relationship to the other women when compared to the chosen family/sisters narrative of GLOW. I'm a little excited, though, because it looks as though they are trying to hide in plain sight a parallel story of one of the legitimate criticism of this era of feminism (spoilers, but it's basically how the pilot opens the door to the series): both Joyce and Doug, for different reasons, are so fixated with speaking/crossing over to a more upscale, "legitimate" audience that they miss or dismiss that Bambi and Tina are more inspired by/most representative of Joyce's feminist message, but are also the least supported and with the fewest internal or external opportunities. It's only two episodes, so maybe none of that will reach a boiling point as characters are naturally fleshed out, but the creator's past work suggests it's very intentional, so I'm hoping for a satisfying execution over the season.

Also, the first episode had a lot of playful dicks.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 21, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

A MIRACLE posted:

Pam & tommy looked funny but ended up just being really sad

it was still pretty drat good though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I honestly didn't care about that poo poo when it happened and still don't but found the series entertaining as hell.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Judakel posted:

Black Crab is visually cool and the action is very tense. I loved it.

It reminded me a lot of Sorcerer/Wages of Fear. The stripped down nature of the plot is also interesting, we don't even learn who 'the enemy' is, they all wear masks and even their helicopter is an anonymous vaguely futuristic CGI mix of Russian, American and European models

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 21, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I enjoyed Black Crab quite a bit as well, I really liked the understated way they introduced us to the world. No great zombie apocalypse, no cackling evil villain, just a world that has gone thoroughly to poo poo and we're right in the middle of it, and much like the protagonists we're much more concerned with what's going on right now than with the past. Though I will say it dragged a little bit towards the last act, but not extremely. Also it's bleak as hell goddamn.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There is a fair amount, but only one char really goes off the deep end with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

Umm...wow. I'd ask for more info but I don't think it's something you'd want to speak abouut.

well he has some kind of mental issue going on. he doesn't actually know anything about me so it doesn't bother me too much. he yells a lot of stuff.

i've had like 4 apartments now where my next door neighbor was loudly crazy. i have the worst neighbor luck.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Famethrowa posted:

I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed the first episode of Maisel as much as I did. I hope they keep far away from anything resembling social issues this season before they poo poo the bed more with braindead. Keep it a fluffy goofy upper west side pastiche please because that was fun again.

.... they will gently caress it up I'm sure.

For the most part, you're in luck, they keep it pretty light hearted, although they do touch on social issues a little.

It has been pointed out that for a show that is so much about the Jewish identity, not a single one of the actors in the show is Jewish.

That said, as charming as the first two seasons were, season 4 just ended and man has the show gotten really grating. I was happy though to see Jason Ralph (real life husband of Rachel Brosnahan) in a minor role this season though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Not really more than you'd expect a big through line in the series is Motley Crue is past their prime and there's a scene where Tommy Lee has a freak out because they've been bumped to Studio B so Third Eye Blind can record in Studio A.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

precision posted:

well he has some kind of mental issue going on. he doesn't actually know anything about me so it doesn't bother me too much. he yells a lot of stuff.

i've had like 4 apartments now where my next door neighbor was loudly crazy. i have the worst neighbor luck.

Sorry to hear that. I’ve had my share of crazy neighbors too, but luckily nobody who targeted anything directly at me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Winning Time on HBOMax is a mixed recommend for me, 3 eps in (it's a weekly release).

It's the story of the birth of the 80s Lakers and Magic Johnson. It's a good story that deserves to be told and has a fantastic performance by John C. Reilly as the new Lakers owner Jerry Buss, and Quincy Isaiah does a very good job as Magic, with just enough charisma to pull it off (while being far short of the amount of charisma the actual Magic Johnson had, because no one is that charismatic. Except maybe Marshawn Lynch)

The problems are that even 3 episodes it feels like the story is being stretched out, and the overall presentation is off putting. It's very try hard, cutesy / kitschy 4th wall breaking in a way that seems like a show made by boomers to appeal to gen Z'ers. Maybe it's just me, but you'll get a feel for the show within the first 5 minutes and can tell me if it's actually cool and I'm just an old.

I guess a recommend if you're interested in the subject at all.

E: I neglected to mention the art direction and attention to detail, which is fantastic. The random bottle of Wild Turkey that's in the background of a shot for 3 seconds is period authentic. Ditto an out of focus Rolex, shoes, just little things that aren't even part of the scene look like they had thought put into them. Really great job by the crew responsible.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 22, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

I guess a recommend if you're interested in the subject at all.

I feel like every time people recommend a show about sports, this is always said about it.

Turns out that I'm just THAT disinterested in sports.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Flatch on Hulu is really good, despite being a post-Office mockumentary because that's what comedy is now

i'd say it's closer in quality to WWDITS than The Office. probably about as good as Parks and Rec season 2 or 3.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
We're getting another season of the most cringe poo poo on TV, And Just Like That........

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

We're getting another season of the most cringe poo poo on TV, And Just Like That........

*me furiously googling how to somehow block all mentions of this on my SO's phone before she can see the news*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jackass 4Evah is on Paramount+ now :woop:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Wow, every film I would have even considered going to a theater for since Covid (Batman, Jackass, Scream etc) is available on streaming in 8 weeks or fewer. Honestly can't see myself ever going to a theater again.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm still going to theaters as much as I can because I love theaters, the theater experience, and nothing I have at home compares to either (nor would it cost less to upgrade to than the ticket price)

Definitely helps that all my local theaters renovated their seats to heated recliners :swoon:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I desperately miss theaters, but I recognize that every time I go to one it's a risk. So I'm going to continue only doing so for movies that feel worthy of that risk. Lately there have not really been any that reach that level for me. I'm certainly not going to risk my health for the 40th Batman movie, especially not when it's going to be on HBO soon.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

precision posted:

Way more CBT than I expected, haven't watched jackass since the MTV days though

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It was definitely more semen-forward than I recall the rest of the franchise was.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Boxman posted:

It was definitely more semen-forward than I recall the rest of the franchise was.

You're not familiar with the franchise huh?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I had forgotten just how much penis was in the old jackass movies. Though I think this one was definitely excessive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Medullah posted:

Yeah I had forgotten just how much penis was in the old jackass movies. Though I think this one was definitely excessive.

In an interview I think Knoxville or Tremaine said they had to edit out a lot of penis footage to avoid an NC-17 rating.

Good thing we've got Jackass 4.5 coming :getin:

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

precision posted:

Hot drat I checked justwatch this morning for it and it wasn't up yet :sax:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jackass 4 is good. Saw it in theaters at an early preview and it was all 30+ having a great time. Kids these days just don’t get the appeal of Chris Pontius’ dick and balls!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Jackass 4 is good. Saw it in theaters at an early preview and it was all 30+ having a great time. Kids these days just don’t get the appeal of Chris Pontius’ dick and balls!

Jackass will likely forever be one of those things "of it's time". The concept of raunchy pranks and stunts is not only no longer novel, but is almost limitless in abundance in the YouTube and social media age.

It sucks because Jackass certainly has it's own "style" of pranks of being highly dangerous but at the same time not meanspirited (for the most part).

Similar to "video nasties" it's something that is not only hard to imagine to garner much influence in the modern era, but hard to imagine it even being a thing. Even if the Jackass crew somehow blew up in the modern age instead of the early 2000s, it would have been through Tiktok videos, changing the whole tone and format.

Then again there was Zach Holmes (Warning: A painful, though not gory, stunt):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd2hn4rgjNo

He got a show on MTV which didn't pan out too good. Flipping through it, the "stunts" and "pranks" missed what made Jackass and even his previous channel so notable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jose Oquendo posted:

In an interview I think Knoxville or Tremaine said they had to edit out a lot of penis footage to avoid an NC-17 rating.

Good thing we've got Jackass 4.5 coming :getin:

It's pretty funny that that was the line the MPAA drew because there is a lot of dick. Was also surprised to see an rear end in a top hat in an R rated movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The thing that’s always made Jackass fun was that it’s just a bunch of friends doing poo poo to each other and not other people. At most, a totally out of the loop bystander would just be befuddled or uncomfortable by whatever antics ensued.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In the earlier pre jackass stuff they destroyed a lot of other people's poo poo. I'm sure by the time Jackass was a thing it was all cleared ahead of time though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The few exceptions I can think of is in the film where they harass the Japanese public, like pretending to be a cone in front of an escalator. There was also the air horn with the golfers, but to be fair they seemed to be just a bunch of rich assholes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Golfers aren’t people, you can blow horns when they swing and poo poo in the holes all day without feeling bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Harmlessly annoying the public is fine and funny. There's definitely some kind of childish/dickish stuff in CKY and big brother videos like just destroying trees in public spaces and I doubt the original version of the rental car gag had anyone in on the joke etc. It was all mostly pretty tame though. Even at it's worst it was never like some of the vile poo poo late 90s xtreme reality videos produced like bumfights etc.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jackass will likely forever be one of those things "of it's time". The concept of raunchy pranks and stunts is not only no longer novel, but is almost limitless in abundance in the YouTube and social media age.

It sucks because Jackass certainly has it's own "style" of pranks of being highly dangerous but at the same time not meanspirited (for the most part).

Similar to "video nasties" it's something that is not only hard to imagine to garner much influence in the modern era, but hard to imagine it even being a thing. Even if the Jackass crew somehow blew up in the modern age instead of the early 2000s, it would have been through Tiktok videos, changing the whole tone and format.

Then again there was Zach Holmes (Warning: A painful, though not gory, stunt):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd2hn4rgjNo

He got a show on MTV which didn't pan out too good. Flipping through it, the "stunts" and "pranks" missed what made Jackass and even his previous channel so notable.

Horrendous take. Jackass is funny and will continue to be funny. I don't give a poo poo about prank youtubers like 99% of the world, I care about these people who are very clearly funny and know how to be funny, instead of people being "funny" to make 12 year olds watch their videos.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 23, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jackass Forever taught me that the Penis Flattener from The Good Place is not only real, but also not much of a torture device apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

GonSmithe posted:

Horrendous take. Jackass is funny and will continue to be funny. I don't give a poo poo about prank youtubers like 99% of the world, I care about these people who are very clearly funny and know how to be funny, instead of people being "funny" to make 12 year olds watch their videos.

*You were probably around 12 when first exposed to Jackass*
*I'd imagine most adults first being exposed to Jackass today probably also don't give a poo poo about Jackass, and would not necessarily find them to be "very clearly funny"*