Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

you can pay $2 / month for a decent VPN and download every single piece of media ever made

enclose this commons :boom:

Don't really see what that has to do with enclosure of the commons tbh. Even though most of the content on Netflix is dreck, and the distribution methods make it all hosed and alienated and opaque, their content is still art that requires labour and has an inherent value.

I guess what I mean is I hope you're spending that money you save by torrenting on going to local theatre and shows and buying books direct from publishing houses and buying vinyl and shirts from Bandcamp, cause this is late capitalism and no loving way is the state subsidizing any of that poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

you can pay $2 / month for a decent VPN and download every single piece of media ever made

enclose this commons :boom:

What function does the VPN have in this context? It's sure as poo poo not going to prevent rights holders from finding you if they wanted to bother.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Failed Imagineer posted:

their content is still art that requires labour and has an inherent value.

if i could buy their content (instead of renting it via a subscription) you'd have a better argument

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
thats the worst part of netflix winning out over all the other rental stores, you could eventually buy poo poo from blockbuster or whoever a year or so after the movie came out since they don't need 50 copies anymore

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

BonHair posted:

What function does the VPN have in this context? It's sure as poo poo not going to prevent rights holders from finding you if they wanted to bother.

It gets around ISP blocks on the websites that host torrent files

You can do it without a vpn but it's a faff ime

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
usenet supremacy

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Netflix is addressing the true scourge of our times: people goldbricks sharing passwords.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/16/media/netflix-password-sharing-test/index.html

For now, they're only experimenting with this gouging in Costa Rica, Peru and Chile. But if customers don't complain too much we can probably expect this to come stateside, if not from Netflix but from other streamers.

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1505893301915987972

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

BonHair posted:

What the ISPs will ding you for is the uploading of files flagged by dcma, so using a VPN when torrenting protects your rear end.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Failed Imagineer posted:

their content is still art that requires labour and has an inherent value.

I don’t care

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

indigi posted:

I don’t care

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like the thing already came out. everyone got paid for their art, already. the writers cast and crew aren’t waiting on checks to clear

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
guys it is impacting their ability to invest in great new TV and films for their members so i am okay with it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't really see what that has to do with enclosure of the commons tbh. Even though most of the content on Netflix is dreck, and the distribution methods make it all hosed and alienated and opaque, their content is still art that requires labour and has an inherent value.

I guess what I mean is I hope you're spending that money you save by torrenting on going to local theatre and shows and buying books direct from publishing houses and buying vinyl and shirts from Bandcamp, cause this is late capitalism and no loving way is the state subsidizing any of that poo poo lol

This dude here definitely sat and diligently watched all the commercials back when network TV was the only option too i bet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Don't you dare use a VCR to timeshift programming or fast-forward those commercials either, you bastard. You absolute monster.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Don't even get me started on adblock, using adblock on websites is equivalent to walking up to the mona lisa and pissing on it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Shame Boy posted:

Don't even get me started on adblock, using adblock on websites is equivalent to walking up to the mona lisa and pissing on it

it's just a new piece of art, piss lisa

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shame Boy posted:

new life goal

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I've been ad blocking and pirating since I was like 8… stop erasing my lived history

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I legit thought the same thing right after posting that lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thats why she’s smiling

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PokeJoe posted:

mona peesa

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AxGrap posted:

What the ISPs will ding you for is the uploading of files flagged by dcma, so using a VPN when torrenting protects your rear end.

A neat trick to avoid this is living outside of the USA! :eng101:
It comes with a whole bunch of other benefits too!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ekuNNN posted:

don't suggest that unless you're down to marry me and get a visa

smdh

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

don't suggest that unless you're down to marry me and get a visa

lmao, I don't make enough money to get my partner a residence visa, I've checked :negative:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Peanut President posted:

if i could buy their content (instead of renting it via a subscription) you'd have a better argument

I mean that's why I offered like 5 alternative ways to support artists in my post, there's obviously many other ways. I torrent lots of poo poo but I don't congratulate myself that I'm solving the enclosure of the commons lol

indigi posted:

like the thing already came out. everyone got paid for their art, already. the writers cast and crew aren’t waiting on checks to clear

This is how a 7 year old thinks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

did they get paid or didn’t they

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean that's why I offered like 5 alternative ways to support artists in my post, there's obviously many other ways. I torrent lots of poo poo but I don't congratulate myself that I'm solving the enclosure of the commons lol

this mf thinks artists are the ones who make money on art lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

I have literally never had my ISP give a gently caress about anything like that, and it's not like they're monitoring that poo poo. They pass through DMCA notices from other companies but that's it, and those generally come from companies that just sit there and log who connects to a torrent and auto-send DMCA requests as a service. Except I've never gotten one of them either and I think they've calmed way down on them since like the late-2000's :shrug:. I'm sure it still happens but yeah.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

indigi posted:

They only get paid if you watch all the commercials and visit the websites of the brands you like for more information, we all know this.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You say 'I'll just make a copy, for me and a friend'
Then he'll make one and she'll make one and where will it end?
One leads to another then ten, then more,
And no one buys anything from the store
So no one gets paid and they can't make more
The posse breaks up and they close the door

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
no one in the history of the universe has ever made art without monetary compensation, ever, for any reason

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

indigi posted:

Are you aware that expenses to housing and food are in fact ongoing, even for artists? Actors depend on getting new roles all the time, unless they make it seriously big. It's a kinda poo poo job in terms of being able to count on income.

Netflix, the entertainment industry and society as whole suck. But a shitload of people are dependent on them paying every month.

Anyway, smash the system, ubi, etc.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

you're a loser OP

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BonHair posted:

Are you aware that expenses to housing and food are in fact ongoing, even for artists? Actors depend on getting new roles all the time, unless they make it seriously big. It's a kinda poo poo job in terms of being able to count on income.

Netflix, the entertainment industry and society as whole suck. But a shitload of people are dependent on them paying every month.

Go back to d&d

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BonHair posted:

You know who else are actors? CLOWNS like Donald Trump.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

ubi? hmm, close, but I would prefer abolition of the wages system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

e-dt posted:

ubi? hmm, close, but I would prefer abolition of the wages system

I'd rather spend 17 dollars on late fees for a VHS and then not rewind it.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

look i pay for my marvel movies to support the artist

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I don’t really pirate anything anymore, but I support piracy because 98% of content is awful and people would be better off of the studios went bankrupt and stopped shoving the latest propaganda disguised as a superhero movie down our throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer