Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Neito posted:

I dunno how to describe it other than "Old Sci-fi fan mad at anime" energy to it.

I mean it was an episode from 1999. Anime was just beginning to become part of American nerd and youth culture with Toonami and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The current cracked channel content of Jordan Breeding ranting about stuff and "explaining X franchise" are delightful, but thats just because I think he's funny and radiates manic bisexual energy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Crowetron posted:

Genuinely stunned to click that link and realize that Cracked is still in active operation.

Someone bought the name and started putting new videos out 3-4 months ago. Prior to that they had closed shop and fired everyone back in '18.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neito posted:

There's a lot of bad episodes of the Simpsons (I don't wanna get into a new vs. old Simpsons argument, but let's agree that there are some stinkers in the bunch), but TMOT has some like... I dunno how to describe it other than "Old Sci-fi fan mad at anime" energy to it.

It's definitely one of those episodes where like... I feel like you can use it as an example of how The Simpsons and Family Guy are different; it's almost too mean to be a Simpsons episode.

Don't forget the out of nowhere transphobia joke

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Though I guess he got outta there before it started aging.

He was actually fired along with all their other paid writers. They only publish submissions by freelancers now, which is why they’ve been garbage for the last four years.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Burkion posted:

Don't forget the out of nowhere transphobia joke

I mean, that was going on as late as the end of HIMYM in 2015. Transphobia's only been something that people get pissed off about on any broad scale reletively recently.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean it was an episode from 1999. Anime was just beginning to become part of American nerd and youth culture with Toonami and poo poo.

Mmm, fair. '99 would be right around the time anime cons started breaking away from sci-fi cons and being their own thing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

doctorfrog posted:

I assume the editor of Cracked just hands out assignments based on the righthand panel of their Twitter feed. The actual content of the Mummy article probably doesn't matter and isn't itself intended to age well.

Had the Boris Karloff Mummy aged well? Imo yes it's great.

You assume Cracked has an editor or writers.

They sacked everyone with talent and probably hire out of the parking lot behind Barnes and Noble.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They kept the editor who had been accused of sexual harassment by multiple staff writers, which was easy after they fired all the staff writers.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Most of the good staff writers did land good places at least. Soren Bowie writes for American Dad, Dan O'Brien is on John Oliver, Seanbaby and Robert Brockway have 1-900 Hot Dog, and so on.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

bobjr posted:

Most of the good staff writers did land good places at least. Soren Bowie writes for American Dad, Dan O'Brien is on John Oliver, Seanbaby and Robert Brockway have 1-900 Hot Dog, and so on.

Cody Johnston has a weekly show called Some More News and it's amazing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobjr posted:

Katie Willert is a producer now, I think.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Justin remember checking Cracked out right after they fired all their talent and the article at the top of the page was in praise of bitcoin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Cracked and not aging well, Jason Pargin sure kept that pen name (David Wong) a lot longer than he probably should have.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sexpig by night posted:

This is still on topic because it's claiming Batman already has poorly aged and all. I really can't stop reading this line.

"Woah this Batman movie showed Gotham as corrupt and created a tragic villain who was pushed to madness and terrorism by the corrupt system? That's pretty messed up, it's like they love Q and Trump or something, smh"

Imagine being too dumb to understand Batman, a movie where a man dresses as a bat and punches the mentally ill, or The Mummy, a movie where a himbo and his friends have a bad vacation.

They're not wrong, this Riddler is an obvious analogue to Q and alt-right poo poo - hence the extremely obfuscated for the sake of tastefulness attempt at a mass shooting at the end by radicalized domestic terrorists (something that has been happening irl), except unlike Q and the alt-right, the Riddler's thesis and theories are ultimately correct and not only correct but foregone, rational conclusions when it comes to corruption in society in general. He's not really saying anything particularly extremist, just doing extremist things. His ideology is too lukewarm in comparison to his actions. Q and the alt-right are insane fringe poo poo completely detached from reality so it ended up being really half-assed commentary that misses the point. Most people "driven" to shooting up places aren't doing it because "The town is corrupt and run by the rich doing unscrupulous things to make money." but rather poo poo like "The Jewish conspiracy is taking over my town."

They got the part right where he channels violence in the wrong direction, but they completely faffed everything else when it comes to how these people end up alienated by that societal corruption but instead of seeing the obvious root cause they invent absurd garbage that allows them to focus it all on targets of their own prejudices - rather than on the people actually causing it.

So it is again a movie that ends up a wet fart thematically because they pulled too many punches to not alienate part of their audience.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Cracked and not aging well, Jason Pargin sure kept that pen name (David Wong) a lot longer than he probably should have.

:raise:

Learn something new every day.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The current cracked channel content of Jordan Breeding ranting about stuff and "explaining X franchise" are delightful, but thats just because I think he's funny and radiates manic bisexual energy.
I don't think anyone is telling him what to do either. His first video was just a thing he made on his own initiative and sent in and they were basically like "Oh, we still have a youtube channel? And you already made the entire video? Sure, go nuts. Who gives a gently caress?" I assume the videos that are just him (or him and his friends) are also just him making whatever videos he feels like and getting paid some nominal fee per video.

I guess the ones with Jack Hunter in them probably have some kind of budget? But honestly, if I found out that Breeding was just paying him out of his own pocket and organising the whole thing I wouldn't be entirely shocked.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Someone bought the name and started putting new videos out 3-4 months ago. Prior to that they had closed shop and fired everyone back in '18.
Not quite. The company got bought and then they fired everyone, and it's shambled on ever since.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have zero problems with an "80 million dollar thirst trap". The world loving sucks. I don't want high brow intellectual media all the time. Sometimes I just want dopey fun. I'm already emotionally taxed well past the breaking point and have been most my life. Please give me a silly action movie full of hot people for the sake of escapism, I'm loving begging you.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's weird seeing a big media source get taken down by not realizing their talent is what keeps them afloat. I'm looking at the day Ryan George leaves ScreenRant and the whole thing implodes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Push El Burrito posted:

It's weird seeing a big media source get taken down by not realizing their talent is what keeps them afloat. I'm looking at the day Ryan George leaves ScreenRant and the whole thing implodes.

I think that the general impression of what happened with Cracked was that it was more of an asset-stripping; they only cared about part of the deal Cracked came with, everything else they basically scrapped for parts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Push El Burrito posted:

The Pivot to Video really wrecked a lot of places too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, they already split Pitch Meetings to their own channel which is utterly baffling.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Torquemada posted:

I mean, they already split Pitch Meetings to their own channel which is utterly baffling.

Pitch Meetings wasn't always a stand alone thing?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

So [The Batman] is again a movie that ends up a wet fart thematically because they pulled too many punches to not alienate part of their audience.
They may have pulled punches in terms of the dramatic impact of the use of terrorism imagery and stuff, but I think that's because, intentionally, a ton of the movie is dominated by Batman's personal struggle over his own identity rather than the larger meaning of the poo poo going on. (and like, that's why he fails to notice the Riddler's final plan even: he's too busy worrying about whether he personally will be outed as Bruce Wayne to notice that there's more going on here.) But in the end, the point of the terrorist cell in the movie is to show Batman that his "I am vengeance" schtick has been leading him into a psychological space where he's more like a terrorist than a hero. I don't see how someone could say the movie is supporting that poo poo when it is all used to have Batman go "oh gently caress, I needed a shock to my system to remind me that I should never be anything like any of these people."

I would separately argue, if anything, the movie leans pretty far in the "Batman is just a super-cop" direction, so it's kinda wacky to me to think it aligns too hard with fringe elements.

Martman has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Mar 22, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I have zero problems with an "80 million dollar thirst trap". The world loving sucks. I don't want high brow intellectual media all the time. Sometimes I just want dopey fun. I'm already emotionally taxed well past the breaking point and have been most my life. Please give me a silly action movie full of hot people for the sake of escapism, I'm loving begging you.

Isn't that just the new Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum movie?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MariusLecter posted:

Pitch Meetings wasn't always a stand alone thing?

Unbelievably, no. For some bizarre reason it’s part of the uniformly poo poo ScreenRant brand which exists only to make z-tier jokes about celebrities and those 25 THINGS YOU MISSED IN SPIDERMAN NO WAY HOME clickbait things. Pitch Meetings is their one actual piece of entertaining content, to the extent that 50% of the comment section of a Pitch Meeting is people telling Ryan George to leave ScreenRant. On non-Pitch Meeting output approximately 90% of the comments are telling ScreenRant they suck and aren’t funny.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Torquemada posted:

ScreenRant brand which exists only to make z-tier jokes about celebrities and those 25 THINGS YOU MISSED IN SPIDERMAN NO WAY HOME clickbait things.

I thought that was all ScreenRant was. I didn't realize they had any good content.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Good content is tight.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Well, Pitch Meeting is formulaic and catchphrase-driven, but the guy at least makes an effort.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait, is Pitch Meeting the series where one guy switches back and forth from himself as 2 or 3 other people to address flaws in a thing or am I confusing that with someone else?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

Wait, is Pitch Meeting the series where one guy switches back and forth from himself as 2 or 3 other people to address flaws in a thing or am I confusing that with someone else?

That's it. His own channel has a lot of "first person to x" stuff that's a lot of fun too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

First caveman who domesticated wolves was pretty good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Martman posted:

They may have pulled punches in terms of the dramatic impact of the use of terrorism imagery and stuff, but I think that's because, intentionally, a ton of the movie is dominated by Batman's personal struggle over his own identity rather than the larger meaning of the poo poo going on. (and like, that's why he fails to notice the Riddler's final plan even: he's too busy worrying about whether he personally will be outed as Bruce Wayne to notice that there's more going on here.) But in the end, the point of the terrorist cell in the movie is to show Batman that his "I am vengeance" schtick has been leading him into a psychological space where he's more like a terrorist than a hero. I don't see how someone could say the movie is supporting that poo poo when it is all used to have Batman go "oh gently caress, I needed a shock to my system to remind me that I should never be anything like any of these people."

I would separately argue, if anything, the movie leans pretty far in the "Batman is just a super-cop" direction, so it's kinda wacky to me to think it aligns too hard with fringe elements.

Batman is always a fascist, just like cops are

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Aces High posted:

I'd say he's not generally "addressing flaws" or CinemaSinning the movie, he's just poking fun at it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Heliotrope posted:

I'd say he's not generally "addressing flaws" or CinemaSinning the movie, he's just poking fun at it.

It tends to be pretty good natured stuff too, like the second joke in the The Batman video is the producer saying that casting Pattinson makes sense because of vampire bats and the writer says it's because he's just a good actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah like a common refrain for "why didn't x" is "cause then there wouldn't be a movie" which shows better understanding than Cinema Sins.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah like a common refrain for "why didn't x" is "cause then there wouldn't be a movie" which shows better understanding than Cinema Sins.

:confused: Why this thing in the movie?

:buddy: 'cause then there wouldn't be a movie! And I'd really appreciate it if you got off my back about it!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why didn't the eagles just steal the ring and then kill everyone??

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The eagles didnt give a fuuuuuuuck.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

The eagles didnt give a fuuuuuuuck.

Isn't this the canonical reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Improbable Lobster posted:

Batman is always a fascist, just like cops are
not necessarily true, when up against cosmic-scale enemies or even directly contrasted against Superman he can be a stand-in Everyman, since the audience can be like "hell yeah I'd be Batman he's awesome and doesn't even need powers"

(this comes up less and less often as there's more and more fascism instead, what a surprise)