Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Synthbuttrange posted:

okay whats going on both classic mandrake and slightly less classic mandrake are both up against cowboys?
One was published at the height of western genre's popularity and one was written by a man who spent his childhood & early adulthood during that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Isn't the Classicer Mandrake storyline supposed to be set in the then-present of the 50s?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

More full-page Guindon

J. Wesley Smith

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Synthbuttrange posted:

okay whats going on both classic mandrake and slightly less classic mandrake are both up against cowboys?

Don't look at me, man!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: the things we do for love (June 5-11, 2006)

The bear in Sunday's strip is a patron, i.e. someone who's paid to have his "furry likeness" put into a strip. Holbrook usually does patron strips in bursts, we'll see several more of them next week.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/21/02

Brenda Starr 5/24-26/48

Smokey Stover 11/17/46

Everyday Movies 12/18/34

"She likes to read? Then why not get her one of these pillows and a box of candy?"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 22, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 5/24-26/48

Enought about Abretha, Pesky. You're turning into a giant!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 12, 1990)

:lol:

I've always loved this one

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.
Starting to wonder if hobo kid finding his way to town might actually be a bad thing.

:f5:

Vintage Valiant (May 14, 1950)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alhazred posted:

This is how I eat sushi, I had no idea that it was wrong:ohdear:

Zereth posted:

I don't care this is how I eat it too. :colbert:

I don't generally order more than one or two kinds anyway as a side, so. Gotta do something with the ginger.

Esplanade posted:

gently caress it, I gobble down all the ginger first. You can't judge me.

I haven't had a sushi roll that wasn't infinitely enhanced by topping with ginger, wasabi and a drop of soy sauce.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I mash as much of it into the soy sauce as will fit before shoving it into my face.
I regret nothing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:laffo:

Get in losers, we're going to Italy

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Comics Journal just published a lengthy thinkpiece on the matter of legacy strips, with insights from Moy & Brigman, Jules Rivera, and Olivia Jaimes.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Batman, like many others before him, is struggling with the rules and logic of the Scary Go Round Cinematic Universe. For all his muscle and amazing tool belt, he’s not getting much purchase on 147.

UK chart #6, May 1986

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

As A Mail Carrier, Please Regularly Check and Empty Your Mailboxes, But This Is Probably About Stimulus Checks

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Bimmi posted:

The Comics Journal just published a lengthy thinkpiece on the matter of legacy strips, with insights from Moy & Brigman, Jules Rivera, and Olivia Jaimes.

It's an incredible piece y'all. An excerpt to wet the whistle.

quote:

Wilbur is a comic strip character, a supporting player in the long-running soap opera strip Mary Worth, but his brush with mortality was no less perilous for being fictional. Wilbur, it must be said, is not a sympathetic figure: a bespectacled, middle-aged, pear-shaped advice columnist with a combover and a facial expression that alternates between hapless ignorance and befuddled malice, his personality resembles nothing so much as a comic strip George Costanza. His storylines, for some time prior to this episode, had revolved around his nebbishy torment of his on-again-off-again girlfriend Estelle.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bimmi posted:

Both the article's author and Moy compare Wilbur to George Costanza, but that's so far off the mark. To start with, George Costanza is funny.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "106 - Jucika's Exciting Book"

"107 - Jucika And Spring"

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bimmi posted:

That is a great title.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Too many bros.

Mary Worth

Do they have a mountain outside the community college?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Thank you for being here, ladies and gentlemen of the press. As you know, a man claiming to have created the Doggo Twins I used in my latest book held a press conference wherein he showed drawings he claimed predated the ones from the little girl I got the story from. Well, here we have drawings that we claim predate his drawings! Clearly, this matter is settled. Thank you. I will take no questions."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Thank you for being here, ladies and gentlemen of the press. As you know, a man claiming to have created the Doggo Twins I used in my latest book held a press conference wherein he showed drawings he claimed predated the ones from the little girl I got the story from. Well, here we have drawings that we claim predate his drawings! Clearly, this matter is settled. Thank you. I will take no questions."

Thinking that anyone irl would give a gently caress about who originated doggo drawings doesn't reach the delusional self-wankery of Cancerbean, but it's getting there.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

JethroMcB posted:

Both the article's author and Moy compare Wilbur to George Costanza, but that's so far off the mark. To start with, George Costanza is funny.

George also constantly gets his comeuppance and understands that he's a terrible person

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thinking that anyone irl would give a gently caress about who originated doggo drawings doesn't reach the delusional self-wankery of Cancerbean, but it's getting there.

Dav Pilkey's work is worth a lot and anyone who could prove they created Petey the cat before him would probably get a hefty settlement

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

George also constantly gets his comeuppance and understands that he's a terrible person

Yeah, that's key. Wilbur also has his pimp Mary downplaying his awful nature as amusing and cute.

The article also mentions how the writer couldn't get in touch with Olivia Jaimes. One of these days we're going to find out the secrecy's because they're a major celebrity or European royalty or something, practicing their secret hobby.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

M

The creator of Dunce, which was posted earlier in this thread, is a friend of Mads Eriksen and was instrumental in getting him back to make comic strips.
TegneHanne

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Comic Strips 2022: It would seem I've won a prize!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Do they have a mountain outside the community college?

What, do you mean offscreen to the left of the hill?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

People who walk in and automatically assume they're in control of the TV now need to be dragged through a pile of Lego, then dipped in hand sanitizer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Really you horrid monster who purposefully and without consent mutated a sentient creature and forced it to work for you and then cursed it to a life of baleful polymorphy because you're too much of an irresponsible gently caress-up to label your magic potions, you think other people need to learn empathy?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

An interesting case of shifting demographics where it's the dad who's a fan here.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Calaveron posted:

Really you horrid monster who purposefully and without consent mutated a sentient creature and forced it to work for you and then cursed it to a life of baleful polymorphy because you're too much of an irresponsible gently caress-up to label your magic potions, you think other people need to learn empathy?

Life lessons for thee, not for me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

To see the events that led to Lottie writing Energy Crow, as well as read a good closed-circle murder mystery starring the same, pick up Murder She Writes at Allison's Gumroad store.