Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DW2, ships are slow enough that I feel like I need at least 1 fleet for every "side" or "sector" of my territory. Annoyingly, whenever I set a fleet to automate as a "defense" fleet, the AI changes it's homebase to my homeworld, and moves it halfway across my territory, instead of defending the sector and Caslon mining station I have set as its home base. I really wish there was a way to get it to stop doing that.

My homeworld does not need more defenders. I've got an entire mini-fleet circling it in addition to the cloud of ships waiting to get into the rather heavily armed starbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I keep going back to my ongoing DW2 game despite having won like 10 hours ago. I have 72 colonies and over a million cash, with 200k+ income and no one can at all compete with me.

EDIT: weird just loaded it up again and my empire appears to be generating no money despite saying otherwise.

edit 2: think ive dug too deep with this one. rip.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 22, 2022

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

LLSix posted:

DW2, ships are slow enough that I feel like I need at least 1 fleet for every "side" or "sector" of my territory. Annoyingly, whenever I set a fleet to automate as a "defense" fleet, the AI changes it's homebase to my homeworld, and moves it halfway across my territory, instead of defending the sector and Caslon mining station I have set as its home base. I really wish there was a way to get it to stop doing that.

My homeworld does not need more defenders. I've got an entire mini-fleet circling it in addition to the cloud of ships waiting to get into the rather heavily armed starbase.

There is a specific automation protocol for fleet placement I believe. I think fleet stuff was the first thing I un-automated.

Also wanted to say, money is much easier after turning off the auto-troops, even on low settings the automation massively over builds troops. That and focusing on independents rather than colonies seems to have made a big difference. Thanks for the advice veterans!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

folks, things get rough with this game when your save files are over 100 megs and your empire is massive.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

You can use the "Guard"-command to keep your fleets on site. I've noticed the "defend" problem with my second ever fleet, but after I ordered it to guard my 2nd colony, it stayed put.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Tried out DW2, and it's kind of fun. I don't really feel like I am playing a game yet, but I am enjoying watching my little space empire ant farm. Some of the text is pretty terrible though, and looking at the credits it looks like one of the designers had his wife and kids doing writing which I guess explains that.

The UI is not great either, but so far my biggest problem with it is that ships don't tell you why they can't carry out an order. For example, I select my Explorer ship, zoom out to the galaxy map and there's a yellow dotted circle which I assume represents its range. Within this circle there are several other stars, so I right-click-hold on the closest one and select Explore <name> system. My Explorer just sits in my home system, doing nothing. Someone earlier said they found Skip drives couldn't reach other stars - is that just a flat rule, skip drives can't leave a star system? If so, what does the yellow dotted circle actually mean, and where does the game tell you this about skip drives? This really needs some feedback.

I also really wish Techs had a little text explaining what they do rather than expecting me to know precisely what the mass of modifiers on the unlocked components do and how they compare to the previous levels.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've played a few games of MoO2 over the past few days and the design really holds up. Game starts out slow letting you get the most out of the early "exploration" phase. The first few fuel-cell techs are huge map unlocking techs, early-mid combat is actually pretty interesting. Once you know some of the basic slingshot techs (autolab is a big one) and how to capture Antaran ships, you can really break open the game. The ability to board to ships is a good attempt at keeping ground combat relevant even in the late game.

I'm not really sure how I'd improve on this formula in a theoretical modern version, though plenty of games have tried, none of them seem to understand what made MoO2 work, let alone how to iterate it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MoO 2016 is mostly a graphical overhaul of MoO2, but they did change some things around for the worse, unfortunately.

I still have a ridiculous amount of hours in it :dawkins101:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The ground combat visualization in MoO2 is still one of my favorite of any game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I believe Ray Fowler, the dude behind Remnants of the Precursors (which is one of my all time favorite games, even though I never played the original MoO) stated that once RoTP is done he's going to work on a MoO2 equivalent. I know he posts here sometimes so correct me if I'm wrong.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

The UI is not great either, but so far my biggest problem with it is that ships don't tell you why they can't carry out an order. For example, I select my Explorer ship, zoom out to the galaxy map and there's a yellow dotted circle which I assume represents its range. Within this circle there are several other stars, so I right-click-hold on the closest one and select Explore <name> system. My Explorer just sits in my home system, doing nothing. Someone earlier said they found Skip drives couldn't reach other stars - is that just a flat rule, skip drives can't leave a star system? If so, what does the yellow dotted circle actually mean, and where does the game tell you this about skip drives? This really needs some feedback.

And yet, I noticed I have a couple of mining ships sitting in a much more distant system and these ships have a smaller range and skip drives. They may have been built in the pirate base in the system, but they claim to be offloading their cargo on my home planet's spaceport. I decided to sit and watch them to see how they did this, but whenever they cargo bays get full they just instantly empty and they continue mining :confused:

Here's my explorer which seems to have range to reach other stars, but won't:

Here's my distant miner, note that it says it is offloading in my home system which is well outside of its range:

Investigating the nearby pirate station, which is now mine, I can see it's full of the resources which are being mined from the planet. Despite what the miners say, it is unloading into the station here:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

And yet, I noticed I have a couple of mining ships sitting in a much more distant system and these ships have a smaller range and skip drives. They may have been built in the pirate base in the system, but they claim to be offloading their cargo on my home planet's spaceport. I decided to sit and watch them to see how they did this, but whenever they cargo bays get full they just instantly empty and they continue mining :confused:

Here's my explorer which seems to have range to reach other stars, but won't:

Here's my distant miner, note that it says it is offloading in my home system which is well outside of its range:

Investigating the nearby pirate station, which is now mine, I can see it's full of the resources which are being mined from the planet. Despite what the miners say, it is unloading into the station here:

The explorer should have two rings, if you zoom further in. The outer ring is the total range, I think. The inner ring shows how far you can get on half fuel. Without any refuel capability, your explorer will only go as far as the inner ring before returning.

With some exceptions. One of my explorers bravely tried to reach a star it couldn't, and ran out of fuel halfway there. But at that point I had tankers running around, and there maybe was a draining nebula involved? I have to look closer at this mess the next time I'm playing. Maybe the ship tried because it new it would be re-fueled eventually, or it could have reached that far, but got drained by a nebula. :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Tried out DW2, and it's kind of fun. I don't really feel like I am playing a game yet, but I am enjoying watching my little space empire ant farm.
I finally went in and turned off a bunch of the automation.

Darkrenown posted:

I also really wish Techs had a little text explaining what they do rather than expecting me to know precisely what the mass of modifiers on the unlocked components do and how they compare to the previous levels.
One of my biggest gripes, even just a little flavour explaining what this is good for etc

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Libluini posted:

The explorer should have two rings, if you zoom further in. The outer ring is the total range, I think. The inner ring shows how far you can get on half fuel. Without any refuel capability, your explorer will only go as far as the inner ring before returning.

I do see an inner ring, but it is MUCH less than half the distance, barely reaching beyond the star system. Maybe in system travel is much less fuel efficient? There's something odd with the large ring too - I tried making a Long Range design where I stripped out the weapons and added an extra fuel cell. It shows Fuel range: 40M on the design screen vs my normal design's 27M, but when I select the LR version it has a smaller ring than the normal designs...

Also this pirate base I was given is screwing up my construction - half my poo poo builds there now, but the ships don't have the range to get to my home system afterwards. I could scrap it I suppose, but it's my only base outside my home system so far.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 22, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I think I may take a break from DW2. I'm only up to 3 colonies after 26 hours and the game has gotten very crash happy. It crashes at least once an hour, usually while zooming in. I'm comfortably above the recommended specs, so it's not like I'm trying to run it on a potato.

It's a real shame, I got into a war over poor first contact and was just organizing the logistics to have a fleet of tankers meet my combat and troop ships halfway to enemy territory because the military ships don't have enough range to fly all the way there on their own.

Be warned - it takes much longer to build infantry units than it does to build troop ships. If you think you want to go conquering, start building up a ground force as soon as your economy can support it.

Darkrenown posted:

Also this pirate base I was given is screwing up my construction - half my poo poo builds there now, but the ships don't have the range to get to my home system afterwards. I could scrap it I suppose, but it's my only base outside my home system so far.

If you click on your home planet or starbase around your home planet, both allow you to build ships manually at that location. There are a few other ways to specify where to build. You can watch DasTactics videos for details, they're hard to explain.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

I do see an inner ring, but it is MUCH less than half the distance, barely reaching beyond the star system. Maybe in system travel is much less fuel efficient? There's something odd with the large ring too - I tried making a Long Range design where I stripped out the weapons and added an extra fuel cell. It shows Fuel range: 40M on the design screen vs my normal design's 27M, but when I select the LR version it has a smaller ring than the normal designs...

To be fair, I've only noticed the range markings after I've had researched warp bubbles, and my ships have ranges around 200-230M. If you still use a skip drive, the range may simply be not there. No idea what is going on in your case. Maybe you zoomed in too far and the larger ring is now hidden? Or maybe I'm wrong and the rings have some arcane, inscrutable meaning I've missed?

Too bad I only have time to play on the weekend, when I'm back from hospital (long story), or I would take a look now myself.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If I remember correctly I am not usually going outside of my system until the second warp tech, stable fields? Even then the range is pretty weak until I get the upgraded reactor to power it. The early reactors typically don't have the output needed to go full speed which in turn makes it less efficient. If that is the issue, the ship design screen will highlight it as a defect.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

MoO 2016 is mostly a graphical overhaul of MoO2, but they did change some things around for the worse, unfortunately.

I still have a ridiculous amount of hours in it :dawkins101:

They also added star-lanes, which suck and their implementation of them in that game is especially bad since the way the ships move, you are always a minimum of 3 turns away from a planet regardless of your engine tech. One turn to leave the system and go into hyperspace, one turn to leave hyperspace and get to a planet. What a mess.

I just downloaded a fan-patch for moo2 that works with the steam version Here and i'm getting my rear end handed to me on hard, let alone impossible. I'll certainly need to reevaluate my tech-path.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Libluini posted:

I think that’s how it was in DW1, but not sure if this is actually the case in DW2. It seems like the inner ring may be single jump distance and the outer ring is either full fuel or half fuel distance, not sure which. Haven’t checked for documentation of that, but it more closely matches the behavior I’m seeing with the ring sizes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

If I remember correctly I am not usually going outside of my system until the second warp tech, stable fields? Even then the range is pretty weak until I get the upgraded reactor to power it. The early reactors typically don't have the output needed to go full speed which in turn makes it less efficient. If that is the issue, the ship design screen will highlight it as a defect.

No, I have enough power as far as I can see - the only thing the design screen mentions is that I am using all 3 engine slots. I'm not sure why it feels it needs to mention that.

Here's a zoomed in shot of the range - you can see the inner ring is just outside my home system while the outer ring covers a fair distance past several nearby stars.

I think the inner ring must be the max jump distance and the outer ring is the max fuel distance. I also noticed that while my skip drive explorer will not move to survey other systems, I can just tell it to go off into deep space, and then once it has left my system I can order it to explore the other system:

I have no idea why this is the case, perhaps the game just feels skip drives are too slow to go to other systems and won't try unless you manually leave your home system? But now I've finally researched warp bubbles and it's moot anyway.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I usually crash those first two warp techs before anything else, so I spend very little time in the skip drive phase.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

No, I have enough power as far as I can see - the only thing the design screen mentions is that I am using all 3 engine slots. I'm not sure why it feels it needs to mention that.

Here's a zoomed in shot of the range - you can see the inner ring is just outside my home system while the outer ring covers a fair distance past several nearby stars.

I think the inner ring must be the max jump distance and the outer ring is the max fuel distance. I also noticed that while my skip drive explorer will not move to survey other systems, I can just tell it to go off into deep space, and then once it has left my system I can order it to explore the other system:

I have no idea why this is the case, perhaps the game just feels skip drives are too slow to go to other systems and won't try unless you manually leave your home system? But now I've finally researched warp bubbles and it's moot anyway.
I started a new game and with skip drives I can manually send an exploration ship to head for another system, but I have to zoom in a bit (don't know how else to describe it) and also it takes ages. They won't autoexplore though. The flavour popup you get after getting skip says something to the effect of "With future advances we can even leave out system!"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I wouldn't expect to leave the home system on skip drives, no. Beeline for the next upgrade, stable fields.

And FYI, per the Galactopedia:
The orange dotted line is your single jump range. This is the farthest the ship's hyperdrive is capable of going in a single jump.
The yellow dotted line is your maximum range with current fuel. As far as I can tell, it doesn't otherwise restrict your pathing or attempts to move somewhere, since it assumes you'll be able to refuel it along the way/with a tanker.

If you right-click/try to move to an empty space beyond your orange line, it will make a straight-line path directly toward that point, stopping AT the max jump range.
If you right-click/try to move to a system beyond your orange line, it will make a path with stops mid-way, preferring systems you own - I'm guessing because it assumes its more likely to be a safe place to re-spool the jump drive.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 23, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

They also added star-lanes, which suck and their implementation of them in that game is especially bad since the way the ships move, you are always a minimum of 3 turns away from a planet regardless of your engine tech. One turn to leave the system and go into hyperspace, one turn to leave hyperspace and get to a planet. What a mess.

I don't really mind the star lanes that much, because you can abuse it to 'trick' the AI sometimes, but on the other hand playing peek-a-boo with your scouts and pirate ships is infuriating. My biggest peeves are 1) the ridiculous spying system, why did they have to create that monstrosity instead of the MoO2 model 2) some aspects of the tech tree 3) the incongruence between their attempts at "lore-building" for the races and them all playing more or less the same 4) the glaring imbalances in the game, though I suppose I shouldn't complain since I like MoM too 5) the new and superfluous victory conditions. Oh and the AI being as dumb as rocks, but as per the thread title that's a given in 4Xes :v: (out of the box anyway...)

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
DW2

Yeah I had a colony ship run out of fuel, I was able to refuel it by the time it was halfway, but the independent colony got snapped up by a weak empire with 2k cash on hand it said.

But they were boskera I whooped their rear end when they declared war, had the best tech in the galaxy, they sued for peace, I declined. Then they suddenly had like 3 1k armies and destroyed me.

Lessons learned each time, just like dw1. Thankfully I seem to enjoy the many boring choices leading up to me getting owned. I had some crazy wins in dw1 I hope to somewhat recreate someday.

Game still crashes on my very very good computer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Squiggle posted:

I wouldn't expect to leave the home system on skip drives, no. Beeline for the next upgrade, stable fields.
Yeah it's pretty clear the intended progression is to use skip drives to explore and exploit your own system and then spread out once you hit warp. The only bit I'm confused by is what the interval between game start and discovering skip drives is supposed to be. The only thing you can really do before skip is explore your closest planet.

I usually get the two exploration sensor techs and a couple of ship component upgrades before warp though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Splicer posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear the intended progression is to use skip drives to explore and exploit your own system and then spread out once you hit warp. The only bit I'm confused by is what the interval between game start and discovering skip drives is supposed to be. The only thing you can really do before skip is explore your closest planet.

Basically, nothing - skip drives should be probably THE first thing to go for (DW1 pushed you toward it pretty heavily with events. You can also research rec centers and hospitals since those improve colony happiness I guess, but...) Once you have skips, there's something to be said for dumping a lot of research into military tech to build an early fleet to fight off the pirates instead of racing to the next hyperdrive breakthrough to make it feasible to leave the system, but I try to get out of my home system as fast as possible so I can get more mining stations up.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 23, 2022

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Pirate protection is cheap though. Next new game I start, I think my tech order is going to be something like:

1) level 3 hyperdrives
2) enough fuel / reactors to support them appropriately
3) the first round of sensor upgrades
4) ion defenders

Priority of gameplay being:

1) find resources and mine them for cash. i guess include any techs i forgot necessary to get civvies mining / trading here
2) find indies and colonize them using that cash
3) after ion defenders, explore nebulas since the abandoned home systems have really sweet stuff sometimes, check out the spoilers for some examples:

Got prototype engine artifacts from Mars and the abandoned Ackdar homesystem which gave me 2 super advanced engine techs to research. Peep those stats! And, they don't require any materials to manufacture somehow? So my civilian fleet has gone from mostly having 1 of the cheapest engine to a full set of the very best overnight.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 23, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i think someone did the math on reddit and like, 1 basic mining station on a 60% node is enough to feed your entire empire for steel/whatever. they mine so much so fast that you dont need more than 1. resources are way too abundant apparently.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What are the important techs for the different types of nebula exploration, and does anyone know what triggers the auto-design to build nebula-safe ships?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

What are the important techs for the different types of nebula exploration, and does anyone know what triggers the auto-design to build nebula-safe ships?

The third armor tech gives ion sheath armor, and a single one of those makes green and purple nebulas safe.
But the auto-designer really wants the enhanced armor with higher armor strength but no ion defense.

Unrelated DW2 tip: If a species is set to resettlement in a planets population policy, a colonizer ordered to load pop from that planet will load pop slated for resettlement first.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's worthwhile checking your resource list every so often as the UI/advisors will not call your attention to running short on critical resources. Just noticed my sole Caslon fuel mine was no longer able to keep up with demand and so my economy was crashing. Built another one and I am rolling in cash again. The entire time the automation was just repeatedly suggesting I mine another low yield steel asteroid again and again.

It also seems like private economy ships won't make money for you until you research Space commerce, so it should probably be one of your first picks if you start pre-warp.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Another thing to remember is that "shortages" are not necessarily CUSTOMER DEMAND shortages, but that you have less of a resource than stations are configured to keep on hand. You can adjust those "keep-at-least-this-much" numbers, but I'd have to sign in at home to say exactly where. I think you can set it per station or per design. Caslon, in particular, is pretty much ALWAYS in "demand" because stations maintain a baseline amount and then as soon as something refuels from it it will flip the caslon count to red since there's just barely less than your minimum-on-hand. One of the recent patches did something to affect the automated caslon cache levels to make it less-panicky about what counts as a shortage.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 23, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Darkrenown posted:

It's worthwhile checking your resource list every so often as the UI/advisors will not call your attention to running short on critical resources. Just noticed my sole Caslon fuel mine was no longer able to keep up with demand and so my economy was crashing. Built another one and I am rolling in cash again. The entire time the automation was just repeatedly suggesting I mine another low yield steel asteroid again and again.

It also seems like private economy ships won't make money for you until you research Space commerce, so it should probably be one of your first picks if you start pre-warp.

i just ignore the mining pop ups that don't have a red border round the element, which indicates a shortage.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
DW2 question: Is it possible to have some ship classes automated and manually handle others? I'd like to manually upgrade cruisers and capital ships but leave other ones automated.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Solarflare posted:

DW2 question: Is it possible to have some ship classes automated and manually handle others? I'd like to manually upgrade cruisers and capital ships but leave other ones automated.

Yeah, in the ship designs window if you click on "automated" in the design column you can toggle it to "manual" for specific designs. I forget if those are the exact words used, but something along those lines.

e: Note that the options in the design window only appear to have an effect if you have overall design automation enabled in your empire policies. If it's not enabled there, setting individual things to automated in the design window doesn't do anything. This bit me in one game, though I did end up with 4 million in bonus income when I finally noticed it and upgraded my civilian designs.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 23, 2022

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i gotta say I do find it quite amusing how every few days theres an update for DW2 with a list of things which crashed the game and they fixed maybe

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
As a follow up question, what kind of galaxy settings are people playing with? I picked 1000 stars and my game has bogged down pretty severely in a 1k star galaxy on a fairly decent pc as I go into the mid 2800s.

Solarflare fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 23, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Solarflare posted:

As a follow up question, what kind of galaxy settings are people playing with? I picked 1000 stars and my game has bogged down pretty severely in a 1k star galaxy on a fairly decent pc as I go into the mid 2800s.
500 stars, I was doing 700 but I started to get overwhelmed. 14 races (two of each I'm not, one of mine, and a rando)

I'm getting a weird thing where zooming into a few completely empty patches of space and staying there leads to weird fps drops and massive gpu spikes. I have a save with a ship as a marker for one of the weird spots but I just do not want to sign up to yet another random forum and their bugs channel in discord says "use the forum".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

They’ve been responding to bug reports in the Tech Support section of their Steam community discussion area. At least, the devs were active in the two threads I’ve posted in there.