Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't exactly want to move back to Texas, but I couldn't have predicted how hard it would be to get a good kolache anywhere else

come to Pennsylvania, we've some excellent kolache

it's always kolache-eating weather when you're safe under your tarp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Drive through Texas and Pennsylvania collecting a tarp full of kolaches got it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/brianemfinger/status/1506105724929286152?s=20&t=hxzLSnSITdxWRgLLxlkNBQ

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

This was SOP in all the tornado drills at school

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Wedge Regret
Press Y to reset your vehicle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inspector Hound posted:

This was SOP in all the tornado drills at school

"If a tornado hits your vehicle, spins you around then leaves - get the gently caress out of there"

Good advice.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"If a tornado hits your vehicle, spins you around then leaves - get the gently caress out of there"

Good advice.

It was in the documentary Twister and everything

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

it looks like they went through the center of the tornado but the heaviest most of the damage is another hundred yards up the road. this video is absolutely going to convince the adrenaline junkies that their tonka trucks are sturdy enough to survive whatever a tornado throws at them.

el reno absolutely was a teachable moment but chasers are starting to dismiss it as a freak accident. only a matter of time before the next mass casualty event.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
My friend lives in North Austin. Nice safe suburb near the dell campus. His house just fell apart yesterday like wet cardboard when the tornado just wiped his block out.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah we like to build them fast and cheap down here can't wait to get out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Throb Robinson posted:

My friend lives in North Austin. Nice safe suburb near the dell campus. His house just fell apart yesterday like wet cardboard when the tornado just wiped his block out.

rebuild with monolithic dome technology

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans/status/1506432043080634371?t=HBoUKuY-ZHXNZVoToedP4A&s=19

:popeye:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/NbergWX/status/1506428618045640707

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Wow!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The lower 9th wtf can these people get one break?

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
City still hasn't fully rebuilt from Ida

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

huge fuckin tornado in new orleans wtf man we are going to see some crazy poo poo in the coming years

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tarp is out

blanket is in!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/ScotPilie_Wx/status/1506447111658868753

let me just do some light carpentry in the back yarOHMyGOSH let me get my phone out DEAR! Come see!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

huge fuckin tornado in new orleans wtf man we are going to see some crazy poo poo in the coming years

Love to extrapolate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

https://twitter.com/ScotPilie_Wx/status/1506447111658868753

let me just do some light carpentry in the back yarOHMyGOSH let me get my phone out DEAR! Come see!

then again you don’t have basements in New Orleans so if you’re going to die leave some cool footage I guess?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Love to extrapolate

in the last two years louisiana cities have had 2 cat4-5 hurricanes, at least 2 tornados through residential neighborhoods, flash freezes, and 3ft flash flooding

hobbesmaster posted:

then again you don’t have basements in New Orleans so if you’re going to die leave some cool footage I guess?

and about five ten foot long 2x4s to be picked up and impaled somewhere else

i am harry has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Mar 23, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Not a lot of interior rooms to hide in in these shotgun houses, either

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

remember if you're currently being hunted by a feral tornado and have no basement, your second best option is to hide in a small internal room with no outside facing walls such as a bathroom or the closet you have repurposed as a hotboxing den

your best option however is to repeatedly mag dump into the tornado until it is either killed or disabled

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Considering that every house in new orleans is made out of only wood I would run out the other end of the house and keep running

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I always imagine New Orleans as super soggy and waterlogged. lots of rotted out wood and stuff. not a great place for a ton of sudden wind

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

blatman posted:

remember if you're currently being hunted by a feral tornado and have no basement, your second best option is to hide in a small internal room with no outside facing walls such as a bathroom or the closet you have repurposed as a hotboxing den

your best option however is to repeatedly mag dump into the tornado until it is either killed or disabled
play dead and it will go away

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Stereotype posted:

I always imagine New Orleans as super soggy and waterlogged. lots of rotted out wood and stuff. not a great place for a ton of sudden wind

id be more concerned about things like dumpsters, fastfood signs, stones from the mausoleums...and those 5 2x4s too oh and SHITLOAD OF CARS

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gonna have a roof party with some lawn chairs and beers as a tornado goes by

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

in the last two years louisiana cities have had 2 cat4-5 hurricanes, at least 2 tornados through residential neighborhoods, flash freezes, and 3ft flash flooding

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
oh gently caress yea, get me wet

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Nola goon here. It's humid af here, but within the levee system it's fairly dry. Wood gets destroyed more by termites here than just outright rotting. The city is dirty af though and there's trash and detritus everywhere though. It termite destroyed wood and old tires and poo poo getting thrown around.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

don't forget the termites

the mother's day swarm is coming up soon, that's the time of year that my bathroom would fill up with dead termites for a weekend

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dog nougat posted:

Nola goon here. It's humid af here, but within the levee system it's fairly dry. Wood gets destroyed more by termites here than just outright rotting. The city is dirty af though and there's trash and detritus everywhere though. It termite destroyed wood and old tires and poo poo getting thrown around.
Lol I was a drunk tourist at a dive bar in Nola in 2019 talking about how much I liked how it was cleaner there than back home and these locals were like "No our city is trash, it's dirty as gently caress what are you talking about??" They were very offended at the idea of a city dirtier than theirs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the homeless people are way way more homeless than anywhere else i've seen

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lol I was a drunk tourist at a dive bar in Nola in 2019 talking about how much I liked how it was cleaner there than back home and these locals were like "No our city is trash, it's dirty as gently caress what are you talking about??" They were very offended at the idea of a city dirtier than theirs.

I once stepped in a shin deep puddle on bourbon street and I had to throw away the shoe because even after if was washed and dried it reeked super strongly from ten feet away. No way I was getting on an airplane wearing that shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I mean I once drunkenly walked down the main street of Leola, Pennsylvania, a way less glamorous destination than Bourbon Street, and ruined the new shoes I'd bought that day by walking through puddles filled with horse poo poo. My shoes could not be cleaned, I tried a lot.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why were the puddles filled with horse poo poo? The Amish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why were the puddles filled with horse poo poo? The Amish.

Gross. I’m definitely glad pothole filling techniques have advanced since the Amish checked out of the new tech scene