Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I don't think the show has ever lied to the audience and your take would make the show a liar

Are you referring to grandmother being a million years old? If you assume that she changed her appearance after resurrection it kinda works. Sol/ancient aliens took hominids from earth ~1 million years ago and settled them on Kepler, where they evolved to look like the cave guys. The show explicitly mentions them being descendents of Neanderthals which only works with an ancient aliens angle since they have been extinct for so long now.

At some point the Keplerians/Neanderthals did make it back to earth (presumably after the apocalypse on Kepler) using two androids and some embryos. Maybe that's where Mithraism comes in? The ancient aliens never visited earth again or gone extinct hundreds of thousands of years ago and homininds is all there is now(except for Sol?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"What the gently caress?"

Love it. :lol:

I legit felt bad for snakey - a video I watched suggested that when it went above the planet the influence of the entity was weakened and that's why it tried to be nursed by Mother. And maybe even wasn't malicious at all earlier but it's a rather weak argument there - that it was trying to tell Campion to not go into the water by firing blasts into it.

Overall that was a loving great episode and while we could all see Grandmothers turn it was still surprising. She was so nice but then she was a little too nice A little too Raph. If/when Mother gets out I think we're gonna have a nice, gory death for that robot.

Speaking of - the tree video was brutal - reminded me of poo poo outta like Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring. Just crazy good body horror.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://i.imgur.com/4XOS51p.mp4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sue was the real wolf all along.

Also, something I just realized: Sue went by the name Mary before changing her identity.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

I legit felt bad for snakey - a video I watched suggested that when it went above the planet the influence of the entity was weakened and that's why it tried to be nursed by Mother. And maybe even wasn't malicious at all earlier but it's a rather weak argument there - that it was trying to tell Campion to not go into the water by firing blasts into it.

Overall that was a loving great episode and while we could all see Grandmothers turn it was still surprising. She was so nice but then she was a little too nice A little too Raph. If/when Mother gets out I think we're gonna have a nice, gory death for that robot.

Speaking of - the tree video was brutal - reminded me of poo poo outta like Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Elden Ring. Just crazy good body horror.

The tree video and the SuperSnake taking potshots at the water as it slowly approaches for the boss fight with Campion were both extremely DS.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Love that the snek gained ranged weapons after mastering the upgrade tree

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's Always Sunny On Kepler-22b

(because the day-for-night colour grading is dogshit)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

(because the day-for-night colour grading is dogshit)
Did they not accurately portray night on Kepler-22b?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
again, 3 moons, dunno why the super bright night scenes are an issue

and, frankly, better being able to clearly make out scenes set at "night" than, say, any night time episode of GOT

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The only thing I started noticing after someone brought it up is that light sources are too dim even though they try to touch those up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No Pants posted:

The only thing I started noticing after someone brought it up is that light sources are too dim even though they try to touch those up.
So in real life the light sources look brighter at night on Kepler-22b?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fireworks are blue at night on Kepler 22b due to science reasons. Number of moons, air pressure and whatnot

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
those are dark photons you silly billy.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kepler 22-b's sun emits light at a particular wavelength that, when reflected from its various moons, makes everything look like you hosed up your HDR settings on your TV.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I was thinking about the day for night all the time, and how many night scenes there are... Is it supposed to be something symbolic about the absence of Sol? There are a LOT of scenes at "night" that could have been set during the day, so why go through all the trouble? Like Marcus/Caleb gets shot with the sun behind him a lot, is that when Sol is influencing him compared to when he is at night?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
When the show talks about symbolism in the after show I'm like "I dont get what a snake eating a tree is supposed to mean to begin with, much less what the symbolism is supposed to be."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, the card warnings are really well made. There is no use of language, symbols or faces in them. Whoever made them had no idea who or what will find them and what language they will speak but still tried to get the warnings across as well as possible. It's like those "nothing of value is buried here" warnings we designed for hypothetical nuclear end storage facilities.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vintersorg posted:

There's a status condition in Elden Ring that sort of reminds me of tree video and it's absolutely horrifying.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Professor Beetus posted:

There's a status condition in Elden Ring that sort of reminds me of tree video and it's absolutely horrifying.

"death" huh, i guess you just fall over and d-oh god

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, the card warnings are really well made. There is no use of language, symbols or faces in them. Whoever made them had no idea who or what will find them and what language they will speak but still tried to get the warnings across as well as possible. It's like those "nothing of value is buried here" warnings we designed for hypothetical nuclear end storage facilities.

Were they warnings? they looked like instructions "ok you get a volunteer, see, they're wearing a special glove with a hole in it, to accept the seed and turn into a tree".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redreader posted:

Were they warnings? they looked like instructions "ok you get a volunteer, see, they're wearing a special glove with a hole in it, to accept the seed and turn into a tree".

I dunno but If I had seen what's on these cards in real life I would have stayed the gently caress away from anything dodecahedron shaped for life. The kids watching the tree warning one seemed to agree.

If you are on the believer side you probably don't need instructions because Sol will tell you exactly what to do as it did for the kid/Marcus/Sue.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ex post facho posted:

again, 3 moons, dunno why the super bright night scenes are an issue

and, frankly, better being able to clearly make out scenes set at "night" than, say, any night time episode of GOT

It looks like poo poo no matter how hard they justify it in lore.

Just have fewer night scenes

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

maybe getting turned into a tree and eaten by the snake is the highest honour you can achieve

poor sue. and marcus. loving sol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Decima too. She got hardcore Abraham'd by Sol.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Decima too. She got hardcore Abraham'd by Sol.

You're not making going to feel sorry for someone that broke her daughter's neck.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Despera posted:

When the show talks about symbolism in the after show I'm like "I dont get what a snake eating a tree is supposed to mean to begin with, much less what the symbolism is supposed to be."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr

Read u some Norse myth :shobon:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

It looks like poo poo no matter how hard they justify it in lore.

Just have fewer night scenes
Nah it doesn't look like poo poo, it looks weird and unsettling. Like night on this alien planet would feel very...........alien

What is lovely about it?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
This is the modern internet, viewers have a hard time understanding that depiction does not equal endorsement so you can't expect them to think light might look different on an alien planet

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

why do people even give a poo poo about that, who cares

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

steinrokkan posted:

It looks like poo poo no matter how hard they justify it in lore.fans try to justify it in forums

You can make up your own in-universe reasons for why it looks bad, but it just sounds to me like someone who mixes an album poorly and says "well that's just my creative vision, it's supposed to sound like that." But I understand why people want everything to make sense in defense of their pet TV show - on this dead gay comedy forum, people will write thousand-word screeds about their anime fan theories given the slightest provocation.

I do find the show compelling as hell, even if it is loving wack, but I'm not in love with the thing beyond calling out shoddy production design when I see it.

hey i love your music

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

shoddy production design

I mean, if anything, your gripe is against the color grading, production design has nothing to do with it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blue for night looks cheap because it is a cheap and easy way to make things look vaguely like night.

I feel like it's kind of a joke in this show that the alien night happens to look like a cheap filmmaking technique. I personally think it works. It looks off and alien, and that's in aid of the atmosphere they're going for.

But it is a cheap filmmaking technique. There's no way to incorporate other light sources without making it look really bad. Someone posted the inexplicably blue fireworks as an example.

I don't think there's any reason to defend it as a real artistic decision- it's just a well integrated cheap technique.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I wouldn't have noticed the cinematography of the night scenes if y'all hadn't mentioned it earlier in the thread. It lends an alien nature to the planet, which is a foreign hell for humanity rightly punished by an uncaring and alien mind, while also aiding in its viewability on tiny screens like half the world now consumes this content.

I love this show and it's totally bonkers writing and ask mildly as a street urchin starving for the sustenance of robot milk, please HBO may I have some more.

It doesn't look *too* expensive, HBO. Your CGI is mid-2000's grade and you're spending most of the production value on the writer's room bath salts, please. Please, may we have 10 episodes in Season 3.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I pretty much automatically signed it off as being another planet. Knowing that it's a lovely older filming technique never mattered to me.

Snakes and poo poo flyin' around who cares.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Tree Sue is the greatest twist in show business since the turn of the decade and then you have the sheer rage of Mother being unceremoniously "boxed" by a millions-year old robot who thinks a stupefied charge is better than toddlers with agency.

"Why is she repairing the stasis pods, that's strange." It was such obvious prestaging that the brain just dismissed it as a, guess we'll figure that out later, huh and carried forward.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Gazaar posted:

Snakes and poo poo flyin' around who cares.

This is the one thing I cannot write off with this show. It just feels far too unrealistic.

You have a bunch of Joe Smiths from Nebraska, okay. Maybe John Smith wouldn't care about the greatest discovery in anthropology since the Rosetta Stone, but why is the Trust so flippant. Why are those androids so casual about the discoveries on Kepler.

"HUMANITY CAME FROM HERE AND THERE IS AN ANGRY GOD INSULTED BY ITS PRESENCE;" does the Trust just go, "yeah but I gotta get them some food?"

You have far too many more of these discoveries to list in a singular post. Why does Mother understand Mithraic but doesn't care much ado about this archaic stupid mask used to punish people by the Trust that also came from this planet?

If I was just Some Guy who happened to win the lottery ticket of Get Off Planet During Armageddon, I think and hope I would still have the intellectual curiousity to be utterly floored at the discovery that humans are not from earth and this is a story older than all of us and hey -- there is an actual God/Entity. If I were the Trust, I would have been keeping all eyes on these artifacts. As a quantum computer I'm sure I would have cracked each mystery in moments, alerted the colony of the dangers in as simplistic 5th grade terms, and come up with a better plan than "kill the walking weapon's child."

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

A Bad King posted:

This is the one thing I cannot write off with this show. It just feels far too unrealistic.

You have a bunch of Joe Smiths from Nebraska, okay. Maybe John Smith wouldn't care about the greatest discovery in anthropology since the Rosetta Stone, but why is the Trust so flippant. Why are those androids so casual about the discoveries on Kepler.

"HUMANITY CAME FROM HERE AND THERE IS AN ANGRY GOD INSULTED BY ITS PRESENCE;" does the Trust just go, "yeah but I gotta get them some food?"

You have far too many more of these discoveries to list in a singular post. Why does Mother understand Mithraic but doesn't care much ado about this archaic stupid mask used to punish people by the Trust that also came from this planet?

If I was just Some Guy who happened to win the lottery ticket of Get Off Planet During Armageddon, I think and hope I would still have the intellectual curiousity to be utterly floored at the discovery that humans are not from earth and this is a story older than all of us and hey -- there is an actual God/Entity. If I were the Trust, I would have been keeping all eyes on these artifacts. As a quantum computer I'm sure I would have cracked each mystery in moments, alerted the colony of the dangers in as simplistic 5th grade terms, and come up with a better plan than "kill the walking weapon's child."

I don't know OP, as a stupid meatbag on a hostile planet I'd be more concerned with not dying. Also someone, maybe Cleaver, made a remark that the athiests who survived the war are not the best and the brightest so to speak.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gorman Thomas posted:

I don't know OP, as a stupid meatbag on a hostile planet I'd be more concerned with not dying. Also someone, maybe Cleaver, made a remark that the athiests who survived the war are not the best and the brightest so to speak.

Basically. My immediate curiosity would amount to what to do to avoid being turned into a snake or tree or puddle of human goop after touching the acid.

"Oh you found another artifact? Great. Does it help put food on the table? Does it help me finish my chores faster? Then idgaf. Give it to the artifact studying android or something."

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
It's almost like there's an ongoing theme in the show that adhering to dogma (programming via literal coding in the case of the androids/ai and via religious indoctrination and upbringing) in the face of chaos, the unknown, and newly acquired information is a net negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

why do people even give a poo poo about that, who cares