Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The Mirri deck isn't cEDH because I don't use enough proxies and/or spend enough money to do that. It's "focused casual" and doesn't durdle around. My decks tend to threaten winning or at least eliminating one opponent around turn 4-6. Mirri is no different and I made sure some choice cards ended up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Railing Kill posted:

The Mirri deck isn't cEDH because I don't use enough proxies and/or spend enough money to do that. It's "focused casual" and doesn't durdle around. My decks tend to threaten winning or at least eliminating one opponent around turn 4-6. Mirri is no different and I made sure some choice cards ended up in there.

So it’s about a 7

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

pseudanonymous posted:

So it’s about a 7

Nice!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
lol

Joking aside, I wouldn't call it optimized. She wanted a cat based deck, hence Mirri, but some of her choices in the 99 are suspect. I tried to guide her in have a good amount of ramp, card draw, removal, etc., but a few of the choices within those blocs were based on the kinds of things a seven-year-old thinks about. It's mostly decent, but there's a few that stand out as in there because they "look cute" or "look cool."

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Railing Kill posted:

It's mostly decent, but there's a few that stand out as in there because they "look cute" or "look cool."

IMO everyone should have a deck based on style or coolness.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Commander is at its best is simply recreating the Inquest articles about how to make a deck themed around your favorite movies or IP.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/tk8z8s/commander_legends_2_commander_deck_might_contain/

Either this is a typo, or we're getting more partners in CL2 :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does anyone else view their Commander decks like characters in an RPG? My main draw to commander as a format and as a deckbuilding puzzle is the idea of having a persistent character who levels up over time to become an epic badass, like in Dungeons & Dragons or Diablo III. My commnader is like the basic character, and then the spells in the deck are HER spells, and the creatures in the deck are HER creatures, the equipment is composed of HER personal magic items, etc. The fun of the game is from taking your extremely limited "inventory" of 100 slots and crafting a character that does everything it wants to do, and over time a particular commander can and will direct you towards certain cards or playstayles that perfectly meet both your interests AND the Commanders interests.

My Momir Vig deck basically started as a bad level 1 wizard and now he's an epic archmagus with total mastery over the weirdest and most powerful creatures in the multiverse. Brudiclad started out as some pre-con toadie licking at Jin Gitaxias's stiletto heels, now he's become a fully compleated master artificer, rendering flawless phyrexian copies of gigantic machines from a pile of golden coins and feathers.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Kinda. I feel like picking a commander is akin to picking a character in a fighting game or something, except you get to fully customize their build. As such you grow to have a "main" and so on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
In a similar vein, what influences your choice in commander? Liking the character? Their colors? Their mechanics? The theme of the deck you build around them?

I tend to have the most fun with decks centered around the mechanics primarily, but if the character looks neat or has a neat theme, I'll lean toward that next.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm similar, except I haven't felt that once it was clear they were making all products for the format instead of it being about exploration and creativity. Even the first Commander product left it kind of ambiguous, but now it's all just plain game pieces, not a form of expression or a characteristic or an article or anything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

In a similar vein, what influences your choice in commander? Liking the character? Their colors? Their mechanics? The theme of the deck you build around them?

I tend to have the most fun with decks centered around the mechanics primarily, but if the character looks neat or has a neat theme, I'll lean toward that next.

I've been a bit of mechanics/themed, so far. Grolnok was mainly because of the mechanic, but I've been having fun with doing little art printouts, like turning Grolnok into Hypnotoad, and Shorikai into Eva Unit 01.

I built Shorikai, Genesis Engine, and that was 100% because I wanted to make a deck entitled GET IN THE ROBOT SHINJI (thanks Rebel for that idea :swoon:)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I personally choose decks based upon the playstyle that I enjoy and choose commanders and decks built upon that. The actual commander itself is tangental to that. Midrange, heavy control/stax and reanimator decks are all playstyles I enjoy and so I will generally gravitate towards the commanders/decks that let me play those gameplay loops.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Framboise posted:

It’s a mix of both. Sometimes it’s a commander who sounds mechanically interesting to me, or like something I really want to build around, and other times it’s tribes or themes I want to use.

Honestly in both cases a big influence is what cards I have access to already. To look back at the prior poster’s idea of “leveling up” a character like an RPG, it’s almost like finding or having really cool loot you can’t use yet, but knowing you can make a fresh character to spec into that.

Like when I ended up getting both the newer Arlinn planeswalker and then Tovolar, I knew I’d be building werewolves. I don’t have a lot of the other strong pieces yet (hello, Avabruck Caretaker), but I have enough stuff for the deck that I really want to make it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I tend to hem and haw about choosing a commander until one just jumps out at me and I like their mechanic. And then try to shove in my pet cards of those mana colors because I am very stubborn but want to do cool things not caring about mana cost. And then I'll get salty about losing a few times and refine and refine it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I usually just think of a theme (usually tribal).

-Theros God Tribal with Karona
-Thopter Tribal with Breya
-Allies with General Tazri
-Wizards with Inalla (also ETB focused)
-Death by a Thousand Cuts (BW cards that deal opponents 1 and you gain life)
-BW Dies Effects with Teysa

Elves, Rogues, Tokens, etc etc etc

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm drawn to commanders that change the rules either just for me or the entire table. I play with friends or at the LGS. I also like excuses to play old janky cards that nobody else plays with or signed and altered things that just makes sense in the deck.

I also pack a serious deck for the LGS because I play a lot of jank and I'm a woman and therefore I must be bad at the game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I got into Commander entirely because I used to play in school during the Mirage block, and I was mad back then because I could never get enough slivers or figure out how to make them work, so now I just sit around tuning sliver tribals.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I got into commander as an MTG format where my cards will never become obsolete after a month or two unless a better card replaces it or just joins it, or if it gets banned.

as for commanders, i like ones that dont make me a massive threat, synergize with the deck where they play a more passive role, or just really fun engines that make stupid things work.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Once I get an idea for a deck I like making sure there is a continuity in it. Like, I won't include different copies of the same character. Even if it would be better to add both copies of Krenko in my goblin deck, I only want one. I can't have two Krenkos running around!

Making sure my decks have a personality and soul is also important to me. Going back to the goblin deck, it started with Wort, Boggart Auntie as the commander but I felt it was way too close to a minotaur tribal deck I was already brewing and I felt Wort's recursion was just going to be incidental - if I leaned too hard into graveyard recursion I worried I would lose goblins as the focus. I didn't want to win through blood artist type of effects, I wanted to win through goblins. Back to the drawing board.

Trying to crack Wort made me want to make a Jund aristocrats deck. And that's where it all clicked. Goblins are primarily red with the most crossover happening with green and black. Goblin legends typically focus on tokens, +1/+1 counters, and sacrifice effects. Goblins in MtG are a communal people and are often thought as lesser by other races even in the same organization. So how do we cook all that together while making sure that even as a tribal deck it feels unique and making sure Goblins are the focus?

Since Goblins have been around since alpha (not gonna fact check) and legendary creatures are a good indicator of what those creature types are all about I figured if I could find enough of the right goblins I could go as hard on tokens, counters, and sacrifice effects as I wanted and still be on theme.

Eventually I come up with Goblin Gang (working title). A Shattergang Bros. deck that uses their activated abilities to control the battlefield and allow my goblins to get through for damage. I think of the other legendary Goblins as officers in the gang with the nonlegends as the rank and file. Since I can make all of my opponents sacrifice permanents something like It That Betrays would be a slam dunk. But it wouldn't make sense. Why would a horrid eldrazi nightmare hang out with a gang of goblins. It wouldn't so that's right out. But there are still plenty of non goblins that's would be powerful in this deck so how can we make those fit in?

Every self respecting organization needs a 'man behind the throne' and I like thinking of Mazirek, Kraul Death Preist as just that. Not only I'd his triggered ability just the tits in this deck I like that he is not red. Red is the color of goblins. Not being red means something in this deck, I think. So Mazirek is a priest using the goblins, to what end? Tegrid, God of Fright. While I doubt I'll ever use her lantern, her It That Betrays effect is perfect and I can make some kind of narrative sense as to why she'd be in this deck.

So we got goblins that care about goblins, whether it be buffing or sacrifice them. Any non goblins directly benefit my gameplan and contribute to a wider narrative. Creatures are done what about everything else? I don't mind being a bit looser here. I try and focus on on-theme 'vegetables' (card draw, ramp, removal, the things needed to make a deck run) and avoid generic good stuff.

If at all possible I like to balance my colors. The deck building app I use has a pie chart breakdown on not only the color mana costs but the color of mana i produce as well. Balancing those are super important sure, but I like decks that don't lean too heavy toward one color and might as well be splashing the others for the best spells available. For me part of the challenge isn't just making a deck that's powerful but making a deck that's powerful and always feels on theme. Playing around with goblins until you can tutor up your wincon combo pieces is fine if that's your thing but winning through your theme feels so much more fun to me. Why bother playing Shattergang bros. if you are just going to exquisite blood combo your opponents to death?

For me the three most important parts of building a commander deck are personality, continuity, and narrative. Commander is a great oppurtunity for self expression. There being only a single copy of any given card gives it so much more weight and its fun to play with that.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone else view their Commander decks like characters in an RPG? My main draw to commander as a format and as a deckbuilding puzzle is the idea of having a persistent character who levels up over time to become an epic badass, like in Dungeons & Dragons or Diablo III. My commnader is like the basic character, and then the spells in the deck are HER spells, and the creatures in the deck are HER creatures, the equipment is composed of HER personal magic items, etc. The fun of the game is from taking your extremely limited "inventory" of 100 slots and crafting a character that does everything it wants to do, and over time a particular commander can and will direct you towards certain cards or playstayles that perfectly meet both your interests AND the Commanders interests.

My Momir Vig deck basically started as a bad level 1 wizard and now he's an epic archmagus with total mastery over the weirdest and most powerful creatures in the multiverse. Brudiclad started out as some pre-con toadie licking at Jin Gitaxias's stiletto heels, now he's become a fully compleated master artificer, rendering flawless phyrexian copies of gigantic machines from a pile of golden coins and feathers.

I kind of think like that yeah

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

theironjef posted:

I got into Commander entirely because I used to play in school during the Mirage block, and I was mad back then because I could never get enough slivers or figure out how to make them work, so now I just sit around tuning sliver tribals.

Yooooo are you me?? I got back into magic for about a year in college, put together an OG sliver deck, then first thing I did when I got into commander was sliver it up.

Let's trade our forbidden sliver knowledge :twisted:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Johnny Truant posted:

Yooooo are you me?? I got back into magic for about a year in college, put together an OG sliver deck, then first thing I did when I got into commander was sliver it up.

Let's trade our forbidden sliver knowledge :twisted:

Get me in on this Sliver knowledge, I also collected them and I just lost last night with my Sliver Queen commander Sliver deck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My tribal heart belongs to Kobolds. They might be on the upswing, we've gotten two kobold cards in the last 2 years, as opposed to the support them once a decade strategy previously.

Maybe they'll get more love in Commander Legends 2 since that's all about Baldur's Gate.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Can't imagine I have any secret knowledge, I'm terrible at this game. I assembled Infinite Sliver Queen a while back, but dismantled it after it went off a few times. Now I run a Voltron hivelord deck that uses those weird dual-color enchantments from the Lorwyn block and a bunch of other stuff that takes advantage of rainbow times, that one's for friendlier games, and a Sliver Overlord deck for tutoring and sliver theft shenanigans(I know it's jank but using Shields of Velis Vel to turn all of an opponent's creatures into every creature type and then using Overlord to call the slivers home is so satisfying when it works).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

theironjef posted:

Can't imagine I have any secret knowledge, I'm terrible at this game. I assembled Infinite Sliver Queen a while back, but dismantled it after it went off a few times. Now I run a Voltron hivelord deck that uses those weird dual-color enchantments from the Lorwyn block and a bunch of other stuff that takes advantage of rainbow times, that one's for friendlier games, and a Sliver Overlord deck for tutoring and sliver theft shenanigans(I know it's jank but using Shields of Velis Vel to turn all of an opponent's creatures into every creature type and then using Overlord to call the slivers home is so satisfying when it works).

:hmmyes:

Turning other's creatures into slivers then ringing the dinner bell to call them back home is so satisfying.

I like to think of Slivers as both spells and creatures, and as such have a very small number of non-sliver spells in my deck.

I think I'm only missing 2/3 sliver cards, need to find The First Sliver somewhere. Holding onto my extra Overlord for trading in the future; I traded a Queen to my buddy and he's basically been building my decks with the IOU amount he offered me, lol.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

I traded a Queen to my buddy and he's basically been building my decks with the IOU amount he offered me, lol.

I just got the First Sliver, completed my set of WUBRG big fellas. I remember I found the Queen in some tiny card store in the middle of nowhere about eight years ago, for twenty dollars. Even then that was crazy. It was so memorable that I also remember getting an Earthcraft from the same store for fifteen bucks.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

theironjef posted:

I just got the First Sliver, completed my set of WUBRG big fellas. I remember I found the Queen in some tiny card store in the middle of nowhere about eight years ago, for twenty dollars. Even then that was crazy. It was so memorable that I also remember getting an Earthcraft from the same store for fifteen bucks.

I bought packs back in the Stronghold days, which is how I completely lucked into my Queen (and also my Mox Diamond, which of course is in the Sliver deck).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I bought my Queen for $20 at a GP in '12 just because it was a card I had always kind of wanted. Then, when Slivers were announced to be a thing in M14, SCG had a 40% sale on all Slivers so I finished up the collection then. Glad I did all that before buyouts and the Commander multiplier were more of thing.

Hell, even the oversized Sliver Queen from Commander's Arsenal is over $100 now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Yeah, I just have the one and it gets harder every time I look at Star City or whatever not to list her. $314 bucks right now, what the gently caress.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL Cobblepott goldfishing a Derevi deck while muttering to himself like the guy from Pi

https://twitter.com/cobblepott__/status/1506695023013859334?s=21

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lmao, the ad for The Professor's deck box on Game Knights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrk3uKoWBY&t=3880s

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL Cobblepott goldfishing a Derevi deck while muttering to himself like the guy from Pi

https://twitter.com/cobblepott__/status/1506695023013859334?s=21

That derevi deck looks cool as gently caress. Stuff like this is why cedh is the best format in the game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

That derevi deck looks cool as gently caress. Stuff like this is why cedh is the best format in the game.

:yeah:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Commander previews in 15 minutes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Commander previews in 15 minutes.

Got a link?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Damnit I'm at work, someone post pics/details pls

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Got a link?

https://twitch.tv/magic

Don't miss today's Weekly MTG for a first look at Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate! Happening soon!
2:30pm Pacific / 21:30 UTC

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Fireball reprint and Lightning Bolt reprint

Lightning Bolt is made common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

Damnit I'm at work, someone post pics/details pls