Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

neonchameleon posted:

Yes it does and I'm pretty sure you're at the place just before it does. The Okumura palace in P5 Vanilla is a slog and the Okumura arc is where the overarching plot is the least relevant and everything seems to be riding high for the Phantom Thieves with minimal pressure on them. The plot really ramps up when Okumura goes on national TV to confess his crimes.

Thank you, that's exactly what i needed to hear...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I'm near the end in Golden, after having played the original Persona 4 more than a decade ago and I still like Teddie. Marie, on the other hand...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Teddie didn't really bother me until Persona Q, where he became the worst character in the cast by a country mile.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Teddie is mostly fine in the original game/Golden it’s just the spin-offs where he devolves into total garbage

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey thread, popping in to ask if p5 (either vanilla or royal) has had a swtich or PC port annouced yet, thanks

It's.. it's coming any day now. It has to be... it has to be :smith:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just got past okumuras palace and lol I forgot Haru going 'my dads head just basically exploded on live TV after you guys told me he'd be fine. I was sad for a weekend but I've come to terms with it now'

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Teddie is very useful in combat. That's what I learned in my last run of Golden.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

Teddie is mostly fine in the original game/Golden it’s just the spin-offs where he devolves into total garbage

I could even see some of the character flanderization happening with some of the new stuff in Golden, particularly on the ski trip. Just things like Teddie being a bit more leery than stuff surrounding it, Chie mentioning meat a LOT more, etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Just got past okumuras palace and lol I forgot Haru going 'my dads head just basically exploded on live TV after you guys told me he'd be fine. I was sad for a weekend but I've come to terms with it now'

”i was going to kill him myself so this really clears up my calendar!”

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Love to see it

https://twitter.com/strictlychristo/status/1499200835695169539?s=21

Edit: holy poo poo wrong thread how did that even happen?!?

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 4, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phantom thieves taking poo poo to the next level

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Gaius Marius posted:

Phantom thieves taking poo poo to the next level

:hmmyes: Take your heavy armament

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

the sex ghost posted:

The girl is very good at compartmentalizing her feelings.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah, during my first playthrough I thought Haru might be the narc due to how eager she was to get back in the saddle after her father died pretty horribly on national TV, and her not having any idea that the other guy was out there.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, during my first playthrough I thought Haru might be the narc due to how eager she was to get back in the saddle after her father died pretty horribly on national TV, and her not having any idea that the other guy was out there.

There's a theory that that's deliberate because there's only one real suspect otherwise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's pretty clearly minor misdirects around that time about the identity of the traitor, though it's never enough to actually majorly divert suspicion. I'm talking tiny poo poo like Makoto about to say something during the conversation where you decide to target Sae, or Ann being interrogated at school after you.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The point that ought to make you suspect Haru is that the conspiracy is really invested in the Phantom Thieves targeting Haru's dad at that exact moment, but she's the main reason why the PTs decide to do it. And her crossing Morgana's path was just a massive coincidence... unless she did it on purpose. First time playthrough it's pretty suspicious.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

See, now I feel like an idiot on missing those cues. In fact, I went a whole separate direction. Akechi seemed SO obvious that I also thought a different thief would be the traitor, but my mind zeroed in on Yusuke of all people. If memory serves, it was a combination of him being late to the text convos, being able to be lured somehow due to financial straits, and something about how his persona awakening :getin: face is so unlike his personality for the rest of the game.

I dunno, it was my first Persona experience so I wasn't yet used to the Akechi/ Adachi style of villain where they just become a total bastard out of the blue.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

If anyone's going to be grabbing Persona 4 Arena at release Fanatical has it for 20% off, seems to be the only place with that deep a cut on the preorder (or any discount at all) - Comes out March 16th/17th apparently?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/persona-4-arena-ultimax

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blorknorg posted:

If anyone's going to be grabbing Persona 4 Arena at release Fanatical has it for 20% off, seems to be the only place with that deep a cut on the preorder (or any discount at all) - Comes out March 16th/17th apparently?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/persona-4-arena-ultimax

If you already have Persona 4 Golden on Steam you can buy Ultimax in a discounted bundle with Golden, but since Golden is already in your library it just gives you the discount on Ultimax. It was like 30% off for me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Second trailer for Soul Hackers 2 just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBxHXf5OVA

Looks like there's an English-subbed version of the first PV as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBH4h7f5CQ

It's a cross-platform release, including Steam. No idea what it's all about other than being a futuristic SMT-style game but it looks cool, might pick this up when it comes out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

And it's done.

See you all with Strikers NG+ this summer...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Playing that "real-time" will be much less of a Herculean task than playing any version of P5, so have fun!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Commander Keene posted:

Playing that "real-time" will be much less of a Herculean task than playing any version of P5, so have fun!

Yeah Strikers was such a pleasant, easy experience. Not that Royal is bad or anything but it's a LOT of game. Strikers really leaned into the whole "vacation" motif and it bled into the mechanics. It's just a joy to play, I think.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Did they rejig Shido's palace in royal because I feel like I've been walking around these corridors for 1000 years

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the sex ghost posted:

Did they rejig Shido's palace in royal because I feel like I've been walking around these corridors for 1000 years

I'm pretty sure the mazes were actually harder in the base game

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/corviiid/status/1506256426791948294

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Holy gently caress I thought I was finally done with persona 5. It's the only game I've played since Christmas and it just won't loving end.

I just beat what I thought was going to be the last boss and now I have to do EVERY loving floor of mementos? I thought this lovely randomized dungeon was optional for side quests. I only got half way down before I sacked it off because it was too boring.

Losing my patience. The end of battle experience screen takes just slightly too long to feel reasonable. As each day changes the new day reveal is just long enough to feel tedious. Everything is so drawn out and slow and feels like it's going out of its way as much as possible to waste my time.

Edit: ok I just realized the enemies aren't hostile doing it now. Still, I have to drive down 35+ floors of a crap randomized dungeon? At least map it out if you're going to make the enemies non hostile.

Edit2: I guess not, enemies got hostile again now. Still got 2 entire sections left to go before I get to the new part and now I have to fight every enemy I see. Think I'm done, gently caress this game. Every single time I started to enjoy and appreciate it, it did something to suck all the goodwill and appreciation I had away. Honestly furious at how carefully it toed that line and managed to lull me into a sunk cost fallacy of carrying on. It's poo poo and I'm putting it down here for good.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 23, 2022

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

Holy gently caress I thought I was finally done with persona 5. It's the only game I've played since Christmas and it just won't loving end.

I just beat what I thought was going to be the last boss and now I have to do EVERY loving floor of mementos? I thought this lovely randomized dungeon was optional for side quests. I only got half way down before I sacked it off because it was too boring.

Losing my patience. The end of battle experience screen takes just slightly too long to feel reasonable. As each day changes the new day reveal is just long enough to feel tedious. Everything is so drawn out and slow and feels like it's going out of its way as much as possible to waste my time.

Edit: ok I just realized the enemies aren't hostile doing it now. Still, I have to drive down 35+ floors of a crap randomized dungeon? At least map it out if you're going to make the enemies non hostile.

The enemies won't attack you when you're too high level for them to put up a fight; that's why they aren't attacking you I think. If you've already done an area you can fast travel to the end of it anyway. Also you've just got some driving to do; the actual depths of mementos aren't procedural.

But you've just made two of the less talked about cases for Persona 5 Royal. The first is they completely revamped Mementos; it's still a procedural dungeon but there's a shop in there, a whole lot more to do, and a vehicular homicide spree where the Monabus can literally run over and autokill low level shadows, and each section has its own theme for the tileset. More importantly they pulled about 15 hours out of the game (so it's only about 10 hours longer) and most of it was by making things like the day changes and end of battle experience are just that bit quicker, and it adds up. (Also I think there's one fewer rat puzzle, they reworked Okumura's palace, and they gave you a grappling hook while adding hidden "will seeds" in the dungeons).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Doesn't really help me this far in, I expected with the original having been reviewed so well I wouldn't have found so many annoyances with it.

I went for a walk and calmed down a bit. I might finish it, but I can honestly say I've never had a game make me so annoyed and frustrated in my entire adult life playing games, and exclusively at all the myriad ways it goes out of its way to sap time from me. It's beyond obnoxious.

Ive spent over 100 hours with many RPGs, but this absolutely does not need to be anywhere near as long as it is. A tight 50 and it would have been a good game. Feel like half the character conversations were re-explaining things we'd already seen, sometimes multiple times. Not even getting into all the poo poo I think could've been cut entirely (and I bet royal doesn't hit half of it, even if it was edited for brevity)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 23, 2022

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Mementos is “optional” in so much as you really don’t need to do anything with it until it’s the actual objective. The game assumes that for storyline and confidant sake you’ve been exploring it throughout and gradually worked your way down naturally. If you have been avoiding it like the plague, your confidants must have stalled out at some point and you now have to play catch-up. I feel you on the original being a little sloggy at times especially with the music not changing but for confidants sake I’m surprised you didn’t make it down further

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Royal makes Mementos immensely better, and also properly encourages dipping in and out over the entire story so you don't get to the end of the game and need to just slam your way through it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
royal mementos is primo Podcast Gaming

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I understand this person.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

:hmmyes:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been playing the Switch port of P4 Ultimax the past few days, I've been slowly working my way through the character storylines for the original P4 Arena and then tonight I beat the P4 storyline for Ultimax. I think the original Arena plot would have worked better if they had done a similar P4 side/P3 side gimmick with a more focused storyline as opposed to having a story mode for each character which ends up being apparently semi-canon.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

:hmmyes:

It's one of those games that end up being way better in your head. The fandom has way better takes of the characters and the story because it all gets distilled to the good parts.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I've been playing the Switch port of P4 Ultimax the past few days, I've been slowly working my way through the character storylines for the original P4 Arena and then tonight I beat the P4 storyline for Ultimax. I think the original Arena plot would have worked better if they had done a similar P4 side/P3 side gimmick with a more focused storyline as opposed to having a story mode for each character which ends up being apparently semi-canon.

I think the Manga adaptation primarily follows Aigis and Yosuke's plots as the "canon" version, but I can't off the top of my head remember if that quite follows for Ultimax.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just think it would work better if they sort of compacted the plotlines. The plot beats for most of the P4 cast and basically all of the P3 cast were practically identical, it was mostly the pre-fight banter that differed. It was kinda annoying to go through what was basically the same story four times. Kanji's "It's all a dream" framing and Naoto being sort of halfway between the plotlines were really the most interesting character stories.

E: Like I always felt that the Ultimax P4 side plot was moving along because each group of characters was contributing to the plot instead of restating the same like four or five plot beats over and over. I guess the "least necessary" was the Yukiko/Kanji/Teddie group?

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have given up my vigil on a p5 port. And with FF16's trailer music stuck in my head I have decided the time to acquire a ps5 is nigh:

Which p5 is better? Royal or Vanilla?