Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Inflation at stupid levels, surely Super Sunak will save us....

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1506399371792896007?t=YaBb3Kd-VbiLY4VKiPHS8Q&s=19

Ah.

I can say with near-certainty that the words 'like Zelensky wears' were uttered when some hapless SPAD was tasked with procuring this outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Both the UK and the EU will decide to scrap day light saving changes I think. But in typical Brexit fashion, we will keep GMT while they go with summer time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Or at least a close second to Pass the Pigs.

the official board game of the bullingdon club!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Both the UK and the EU will decide to scrap day light saving changes I think. But in typical Brexit fashion, we will keep GMT while they go with summer time.

The EU is already well into discussion on the topic. At one point it was meant to end with the change to DST last year, which would not happen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Greenwich Meridian is also Universal Coordinate Time so stick with that to make my mental calculations simpler thanks bye

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'd prefer summer or even double summertime. That's because light evenings are far more important to me than whether the sunrise shows as 3,4,5,6am
I'm a night owl and it generally takes me 2 hours to get going in a morning and I'm rather discombobulated if I have to hurry.
I spent my working life in London being discombobulated all day from having to get up at stupid o' clock (6am) to be sure of getting from my Walthamstow dwelling to my East Croydon workplace for 9am (typically 1h45mins commute)
No chance of seeing daylight for half a year no matter what they call it. At least long light evenings I would see light.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not sure how it's gonna happen, but I have an annoying premonition that the UK and Ireland/EU are going to diverge on timezones, and it's gonna be a huge sectarian :btroll: issue in NI and extremely annoying for everyone on the border
Well Rees-Mogg is doing his best to rewind us to the 1800s.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

You are all thinking too small. We should bring back individual city times again.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Ldn_Ambulance/status/1506590621666095109

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/23/people-suffer-breathing-difficulties-after-reported-release-of-gas-at-london-olympic-park

80 firefighters for a 'chemical incident' sounds pretty crazy. Hope everyone's OK.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Swimming pools have stocks of several pretty nasty chemicals on hand, I assume they throw everything at it because of the risks involved even if the actual impact is pretty minimal.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is the perfect weather for me. I wish we could have months like this.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jippa posted:

I'd like a few degrees warmer, but I definitely appreciate the lack of flies.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jippa posted:

Same. I'm off work this week and loving it but very aware it'll soon be Too loving Hot again.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think I'll pass on Double Summer, not keen on winter sunrise at 10:30, personally.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Soon we get to make fiery bastard sky orb posts again tho

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

Greenwich Meridian is also Universal Coordinate Time so stick with that to make my mental calculations simpler thanks bye

This is why I think we will be dumb and keep GMT(and thus UCT) , and not switch to summer time like everyone else. It's a very British thing to pretend we are still the centre of the world.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Wouldn't permanent DST mean it would be dark at like 9am still in December?

e: this is fun https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/edinburgh

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not sure how it's gonna happen, but I have an annoying premonition that the UK and Ireland/EU are going to diverge on timezones, and it's gonna be a huge sectarian :btroll: issue in NI and extremely annoying for everyone on the border

Split the difference and make it a one time move of 30 minutes, job done. :shrug:

The sectarianism shall continue no matter what as for some it's all they have left.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Wouldn't permanent DST mean it would be dark at like 9am still in December?

e: this is fun https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/edinburgh

I like showing American friends how little daylight I get on the shortest day of the year because I don't think they realise how far north northern Scotland is. (The answer is 6 & a half hours. Proper daylight from 9am until 3:30pm baby. You go to work & it's dark, you come home from work & it's already dark. 2 hours less daylight on the shortest day than Seattle gets, poo poo rules)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Franco's Spain setting the clocks to Hitler Time out of fash solidarity and never changing back through sheer inertia is the dumbest Euro timezone thing, though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jippa posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm sunning myself in the park in my office lunchtime break this very moment :sun:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

tories gearing up for an election

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Payndz posted:

Franco's Spain setting the clocks to Hitler Time out of fash solidarity and never changing back through sheer inertia is the dumbest Euro timezone thing, though.

Anything to spite the Portuguese.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol get back in the car after filling up and sunak announces 5p off on the radio. SUNAK!!!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Answers Me posted:

I can say with near-certainty that the words 'like Zelensky wears' were uttered when some hapless SPAD was tasked with procuring this outfit.

quite funny that macron was also cosplaying zelensky recently too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh woopy doo - Sunak promises income tax to be cut by 1p in the £1 by 2024.
Why, anyone would think there's a general election currently supposed to take place in 2025. (Ed: 2024)

And with the freeze on personal tax allowance, this will help lower earners not one bit. Nothing to even begin to cover the other increases.

This is exactly what they did in the last election the tories won before 1997. Big posters advertising that Labour were going to put 1p on income tax but they wouldn't. The second they get in, up goes the national insurance by 1% affecting far more lower paid than higher paid people, and being a worse tax increase (NI being tax under another name) than a straight 1p on the income tax.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 23, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Payndz posted:

Is the bit where France is actually mainly inside of GMT but is an hour ahead not the dumbest?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol get back in the car after filling up and sunak announces 5p off on the radio. SUNAK!!!

Filling your Tesla with petrol seems like an expensive mistake either way

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why, anyone would think there's a general election currently supposed to take place in 2025.

2024, actually. Probably in May.

You're absolutely right that this feels like 1992 again, though. The Tories are already scraping the bottom of the barrel below the barrel they're in, everyone hates them, but they still have the press on side and the opposition are completely ineffectual.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 23, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Is the bit where France is actually mainly inside of GMT but is an hour ahead not the dumbest?

Anything to spite perfidious Albion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

2024, actually. Probably in May.

You're absolutely right that this feels like 1992 again, though. The Tories are already scraping the bottom of the barrel below the barrel they're in, everyone hates them, but they still have the press on side and the opposition are completely ineffectual.

Speaking of which has Der Stärmer done another focus group on why he's a sack of wet socks in the popular consensus.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So in that case can we look forward to Blair 2.0 in 2029? (an actual one, not the failed clones like Miliband or Keith?)

Goodie. Definitely worth sticking out the next seven years of tory rule for that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

It makes a degree of practical sense when their main trading partners are CET even if from a physical perception it'd be more sensible to be on UTC

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Josef bugman posted:

Not just France, but Spain, Portugal and lots of other western European nations too. Germany is where it starts to make sense.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why, anyone would think there's a general election currently supposed to take place in 2025. (Ed: 2024)

And with the freeze on personal tax allowance, this will help lower earners not one bit. Nothing to even begin to cover the other increases.

This is exactly what they did in the last election the tories won before 1997. Big posters advertising that Labour were going to put 1p on income tax but they wouldn't. The second they get in, up goes the national insurance by 1% affecting far more lower paid than higher paid people, and being a worse tax increase (NI being tax under another name) than a straight 1p on the income tax.

funniest part of raising the NI rate while lowering the income tax rate is it means that basically the only people that will ultimately get any benefit are pensioners

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Ehhhh....people tend to think this a lot, here's a good article by a historian bloke that covers it. He's talking about the Middle Ages, I know more about the mid 17th century.
I suppose it depends on what they're claiming to believe. Like the article says

quote:

Something like the St. Bartholomew’s Day Massacre could only happen in the Early Modern Period, because it requires one of the defining events of that period (the Protestant Reformation) to have occurred. Of course, the same can be said of our Scottish ‘Red non-Weddings’ as well – 1440 is on the doorstep of the early modern period, while 1692 has walked in the door and is now lounging in the parlor. It does not seem like an accident that the most notorious of these massacres occur in the period where the authority of the Church and medieval norms are in decline.
Can't have sectarianism if you only have one sect *taps head*, but much of the worse types like early modern witch hunts or 19th century Parisian antisemitism were driven not by orthodox beliefs but by what could charitably be called 'an eclipse of reason' or more accurately called 'utter bollocks' during a time of waning church or state authority.

Did people really believe in conspiracies involving Jews and Freemasons and Protestants and Jesuit assassins and witches dancing in nests of penes? I'd argue at the top it was only believed in the sense that Boris believes Brexit brings back bendy bananas Brussels banned, and at the bottom mostly believed because

Just Another Lurker posted:

The sectarianism shall continue no matter what as for some it's all they have left.

Jel Shaker posted:

quite funny that macron was also cosplaying zelensky recently too
Macron just wants an excuse to tie Roma people to lampposts.

Payndz posted:

Hitler Time

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'd prefer summer or even double summertime. That's because light evenings are far more important to me than whether the sunrise shows as 3,4,5,6am
I'm a night owl

I am a lark and all clock manipulation is an unnatural evil, the sun should be overhead at noon, as is the whole point of noon :c00lbutt:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Oh dear me posted:

I am a lark and all clock manipulation is an unnatural evil, the sun should be overhead at noon, as is the whole point of noon :c00lbutt:

I have to adjust my sundials every time the clocks change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
So: a tank of petrol is ~£2 cheaper and £300 extra annually for everyone paying national insurance?