Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bristol Rovers Womens team, (if they have one), need to do what the Raith Womens team did when they hired a rapist. As well as the sponsors/board directors etc.

Quit saying, "Any club that will willingly employ a man who kicks his wife in the head is not a club I want to play for/support/sponsor/etc."

Coz Barton has form, and it is a terrible thing he is accused of doing. And sadly, unless the rest of the club/supporters etc. ark up about it, he will face no consequences for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I mean, that'll force them to look at the issue...

But it can't be the answer that whenever some dipshit male rapist/abuser gets hired to a club, the female team's only recourse is to jeopardize their own careers to make a point.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

maybe the male teammates should do the same thing and refuse to play alongside rapists and wifebeaters

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

remember the 3 or 4 weeks when Joey Barton was being held up as some sort of tortured intellectual who transcended football?

I think it was during his stint at Rangers, can't be certain though. maybe when he was still at QPR.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Troy Queef posted:

remember the 3 or 4 weeks when Joey Barton was being held up as some sort of tortured intellectual who transcended football?

I think it was during his stint at Rangers, can't be certain though. maybe when he was still at QPR.

was this before or after he adopted a fake french accent while playing at marseille

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Bogan Krkic posted:

maybe the male teammates should do the same thing and refuse to play alongside rapists and wifebeaters

This would be a breath of fresh air.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

was this before or after he adopted a fake french accent while playing at marseille

after, he was at Rangers in '16 and at Marseille in 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Troy Queef posted:

I think it was QPR, because I remember him going to the Tate Modern in London. I like how that and posting some Smiths lyrics made him an "intellectual"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it was bad that barton was praised for his stupid faux intellectual phase when around the same time wayne rooney was mocked in the tabloids for going back to school and finishing off some gcses

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Barton also got some press cred for a little while for denouncing his brother for being an even worse piece of poo poo than he is

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've never understood how he had a career. He put a cigar out in the eye of a youth team player, ran someone over, and beat up a teenage fan within a year while he was at Citeh, for fucks sake, and ended up in prison while at Newcastle for beating the poo poo out of someone *while on bail for assaulting a team mate at training*. Can you think of any other job on earth (apart from possibly TV presenting) where you'd not find yourself down the job centre the very next day after any single one of the incidents that he's been involved in?

If he was some Ronaldo-level talent I could at least understand, although still hate, the amount of second chances he got and apparently continues to get, but he's a journeyman winger who lashes out as much at his own team mates as the opposition. If nothing else it doesn't make economic sense because he spends so long suspended (or in prison), and the rules say you can only get fined 2 weeks wages for that - you're literally paying him not to play. Hell if a player had spent as long *injured* as he's spent unable to play for disciplinary reasons you'd release them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never understood how he had a career. He put a cigar out in the eye of a youth team player, ran someone over, and beat up a teenage fan within a year while he was at Citeh, for fucks sake, and ended up in prison while at Newcastle for beating the poo poo out of someone *while on bail for assaulting a team mate at training*. Can you think of any other job on earth (apart from possibly TV presenting) where you'd not find yourself down the job centre the very next day after any single one of the incidents that he's been involved in?

If he was some Ronaldo-level talent I could at least understand, although still hate, the amount of second chances he got and apparently continues to get, but he's a journeyman winger who lashes out as much at his own team mates as the opposition. If nothing else it doesn't make economic sense because he spends so long suspended (or in prison), and the rules say you can only get fined 2 weeks wages for that - you're literally paying him not to play. Hell if a player had spent as long *injured* as he's spent unable to play for disciplinary reasons you'd release them.

If he wasnt a footballer hed still be in jail

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

it was bad that barton was praised for his stupid faux intellectual phase when around the same time wayne rooney was mocked in the tabloids for going back to school and finishing off some gcses
Which happened shortly after he hired a PR firm to help him out with his image.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i have some bad news concerning white men facing consequences for their actions op

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Yes but he wore rather nice spectacles for awhile and learned the bare minimum of eight (8) French words when he played abroad, ergo he was leagues ahead of any other British player and should be celebrated as a modern intellectual.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

nawilo_420 posted:

i have some bad news concerning white men facing consequences for their actions op

Speaking of, Overmars got another job as director with Royal FC Antwerp, currently third in Belgium's top league.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Barton became an intellectual the day he started wearing glasses in public. Probably a tip from that PR firm.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sales, law, finance, politics...

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Skios posted:

Speaking of, Overmars got another job as director with Royal FC Antwerp, currently third in Belgium's top league.

yeah it's bad op. Ten Hag even refused to condemn Overmars' behaviour and ajax as a whole basically just said that they were very sad to see overmars go and that's it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If he was some Ronaldo-level talent I could at least understand,
look Barton got one England cap so that alone means he was a world-class football player

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

Yes but he wore rather nice spectacles for awhile and learned the bare minimum of eight (8) French words when he played abroad, ergo he was leagues ahead of any other British player and should be celebrated as a modern intellectual.

Did anyone actually buy this schtick? I thought we all just silently agreed that it was mildly amusing because he was such a dickhead.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Crazy Ted posted:

look Barton got one England cap so that alone means he was a world-class football player

He's Craig Bellamy with slightly less impulse control

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

brocked posted:

And lots less talent lol

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

brocked posted:

worse at golf too i reckon

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nis posted:

worse at golf too i reckon
wait was he the one who teed off on John Arne Riise?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Crazy Ted posted:

wait was he the one who teed off on John Arne Riise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8CkOw3zeK4

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

blue footed boobie posted:

Did anyone actually buy this schtick? I thought we all just silently agreed that it was mildly amusing because he was such a dickhead.

No one here did, I’d imagine but the worst part is that
A) he certainly bought into his own bullshit
B) clearly others bought into it since he got more chances and favorable press about it

The high-profile and incredibly lovely incidents like the cigar on a youth team player’s eye then a couple years later, assaulting another teammate so badly he suffered a detached retina are well known but re-reading his Wikipedia, it’s just a litany of idiotic reactions punctuated with violently aggressive assault that I had mostly forgotten about. Now more than ever, any one of these should have been more than enough to have him no longer playing any professional sport but he kept getting chance after chance so of course he’s going to keep hurting people. A few of the lowlights:

quote:

Barton would have made his debut for the City first team in November 2002 against Middlesbrough, had he not lost his shirt after leaving it on the substitutes bench at half-time. He eventually made his first-team debut for the club against Bolton Wanderers on 5 April 2003.

So because he was too thick to keep track of his loving shirt, it delayed his first team debut for 5 months.

quote:

An FA Cup match against Tottenham saw Barton receive the first red card of his career in unusual circumstances: at half-time, with his club 3–0 down, he argued with the referee and was sent off although the match was not in progress.

lol

quote:

The suspended six-match ban was nearly brought into action when Barton appeared to flick Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor in the club's next match, but the FA decided not to punish Barton. However, further allegations that Barton had made a racist remark to Agbonlahor were cause enough for the FA to reconsider this decision. The remarks remain unfounded and 'professional lip-readers' claimed he said nothing racist.

He did a racism after picking on a black opposition player but people couldn’t make it out on video so he got away with it

quote:

Shearer said he made a mistake putting Barton back into the team, and that his tackle was "a coward's tackle", to which Barton replied that he was "the best player at the club", and Shearer had to play him. Shearer said that Barton was not, and that he was "poo poo". When Dowie intervened, Barton called him "a prick".

I’m the best, says the insane aggro guy to the retired club legend

quote:

Barton replied that Shearer was "a poo poo manager with poo poo tactics".

worst_person_you_know_just_made_a_great_point.png

Ok he falls out with everyone at Newcastle, has served multiple bans AND jail time for his various assaults, surely he will be viewed as toxic and not signed by a new club, rig-

quote:

He was handed the captain's armband by manager Neil Warnock on his debut with the club

gently caress you, Colin

quote:

Henry and Barton had a previous physical confrontation in August 2010 when Barton was still at Newcastle. Barton accused Henry of "trying to hurt people".

:irony:

quote:

On 13 May, on the final day of the season, with QPR requiring at least a draw in their match away at Manchester City or for Bolton Wanderers to not win in order to guarantee Premier League safety, Barton was sent off in the 55th minute for violent misconduct after elbowing Carlos Tevez in the face. Immediately after being shown a red card, he kicked Sergio Agüero in the back of the knee and attempted to head-butt Vincent Kompany. Barton had to be dragged from the pitch by former teammate Micah Richards as he rowed with Manchester City players and staff and attempted to square-off with striker Mario Balotelli. QPR went on to concede two late goals and lose the match 3–2

Because of this dickhead, City finally won the title to validate their gilded existence and to later inflict The Bald Fraud upon us

Just on and on, it goes. Dude is a absolute psycho who has been given so many chances and should have been playing football solely in the prison yard, not professionally for millions of pounds. Somehow I sadly don’t see him facing any consequences for assaulting his own wife given the dozens of other slaps of the wrist that we know about, let alone the dozens of smaller ones that have undoubtedly taken place but people didn’t want to make a fuss or create a problem over reporting.

In closing, gently caress Joey Barton with a lit cigar.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Watch him try to spin all this and his violent history on CTE or something

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Watch him try to spin all this and his violent history on CTE or something
Wouldn't CTE require having had a brain to begin with?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
lol i forgot about him twatting aguero and nutting kompany then trying to justify it as ULTIMATE MIND GAMES

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Didn't he also quote Nietzsche or was that some Guardian journalist in an article about Barton?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
It was him: "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."

It worked because football media isn't very good. I still sometimes see Cantona's "When the seagulls follow the trawler..." discussed as a gnomic piece of wisdom, rather than a fairly basic metaphor.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Rascar Capac posted:

It worked because football media isn't very good. I still sometimes see Cantona's "When the seagulls follow the trawler..." discussed as a gnomic piece of wisdom, rather than a fairly basic metaphor.

The fact that 95% of sports media couldn't follow a basis metaphor and went 'What the fucks he on about?!' is incredible to this day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sticksy posted:

In closing, gently caress Joey Barton with a lit cigar.

He did get Diaby sent off and scored twice as Arsenal surrendered a 4 goal lead which you can trace as the origin of Farcenal so it all evens out in the end

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

He did get Diaby sent off and scored twice as Arsenal surrendered a 4 goal lead which you can trace as the origin of Farcenal so it all evens out in the end

Another interesting topic akin to debating the beginning of the fall of the Roman empire, and similar in scale - for me it's the Birmingham game where Eduardo got his leg snapped and Gallas had his meltdown over the penalty. Went from 5 points clear at the top to winning one of their next 7 and throwing the league and never came close since

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I remember him going studs up through the back of Diaby's Achilles and not even getting shown a card and Diaby getting a red for being angry about it, I really should look up the clip to see if it's anything like my memory

But I also seem to recall Tiote (rip) scoring an absolute worldie in that match and there's no way that actually happened, right?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

brocked posted:

I remember him going studs up through the back of Diaby's Achilles and not even getting shown a card and Diaby getting a red for being angry about it, I really should look up the clip to see if it's anything like my memory

But I also seem to recall Tiote (rip) scoring an absolute worldie in that match and there's no way that actually happened, right?

I remember months later Tiote still trying to recreate that moment and having a shot go out for a throw in lol

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/new-sex-crimes-allegations-against-former-chelsea-manager-avram-grant-1.10688709

Another baseless allegation against poor cfc

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Eau de MacGowan posted:

lol i forgot about him twatting aguero and nutting kompany then trying to justify it as ULTIMATE MIND GAMES

I don’t have the exact quote to hand, but wasn’t his idea to “take one of them” with him?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

sticksy posted:

Because of this dickhead, City finally won the title to validate their gilded existence and to later inflict The Bald Fraud upon us

They actually went 2 - 1 up after he got sent off, arguably being against 10 men made us more complacent and more vulnerable on the break

britishbornandbread posted:

I don’t have the exact quote to hand, but wasn’t his idea to “take one of them” with him?

Pretty much exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

britishbornandbread posted:

"what are they going to do, give me four red cards to run consecutively?"
/
twelve-match ban for four red card offences victim