Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
generally no, the minimum announcement size is /24, otherwise proxying, and if it's shared hosting or reseller hosting you don't get to pick the reverse proxy 'trust' IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

My hosting company sprung an IP address change on me with 2 weeks notice.

I host about 80 WordPress sites and the domains are spread across a million different registrars, mostly controlled directly by bumbling clients. Thankfully the nameservers aren't changing, but I reckon over half of them are just using A Records pointing straight to the IP address, so I've got a massive project ahead of me to get them all updated.

I could just update them all to the new IP the hosting company have provided, but I was wondering if I could get an IP address of my very own that would protect me against this stuff in the future.

Like an IP address that'll just stay the same forever that I can tell clients to use for their A record, and then I can point it at whatever final destination IP I want. That must be a thing right? I know AWS has an "elastic IP" thing.

Any tips on where / how to set something like that up? I'm worried it might affect performance though...

Thats basically what cloudflare does, they reverse proxy your site and and use an "anycast ip" that connects the closest pop and over cloudflares network to your site. In many cases it actually makes your site faster. You can do a lot with just the free tier of cloudflare but paying get you a lot more control. Amazon also offers AWS Global Accelerator https://aws.amazon.com/global-accelerator/features/ which is similar. Basically you want an "anycast ip" from a cloud company or a static ip from a regular host thats as close as possible to your host.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx posted:

Thats basically what cloudflare does, they reverse proxy your site and and use an "anycast ip" that connects the closest pop and over cloudflares network to your site. In many cases it actually makes your site faster. You can do a lot with just the free tier of cloudflare but paying get you a lot more control. Amazon also offers AWS Global Accelerator https://aws.amazon.com/global-accelerator/features/ which is similar. Basically you want an "anycast ip" from a cloud company or a static ip from a regular host thats as close as possible to your host.

assuming this is a small shop doing wordpress for other small shops:

- CF charges several hundred per domain per month regardless of your traffic levels if you just want to point a CNAME to them - you have to fully give them all nameserver control otherwise, and this is probably not going to be possible

- "Thankfully the nameservers aren't changing" implies this is shared or reseller hosting, so you don't get access to control trusted hosts for client ip headers or rate limiting, and if it's using any popular control panel, not having this access will near instantly result in everyone being IP blocked for doing too many requests when everything shows up as the proxy's ip

- running your proxy in global accelerator + ec2 + elb will cost you a stupid amount unless you are charging your clients thousands to cover for the fact that someone's large background image being accidentally downloaded will remove all of your profit and then some

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Would a CNAME work? If you’re updating all your clients’ records anyways could you make them CNAMEs pointing to a domain you control and have that be an A record to your hosting provider’s IP?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Since these are random registrars and lovely free DNSes, you cannot CNAME the apex (@), and flattening it is really wildly variable, broken, or unsupported (or rarely, well supported, like on Route53, but let's face it none of these people will be using that)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Fair, I was thinking of subdomains as that’s how our customers at work are set up. I always forget you can’t CNAME the root.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
bummer, alright guys thanks for the replies :)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm still trying to come up with a good solution for email hosting. I currently have ~50 mailboxes on Fastmail just so I don't have to stress about it, but the cost is getting crazy.

I have a really good reseller package for website hosting, but they only give me 250gb of space, and even though most clients have websites that are only a few hundred megabytes, they will happily fill up a 30gb mailbox in a year or so.

I guess I need a separate server / hosting package just for email. Something with a lot of disk space but where speed doesn't matter that much because there'll be no websites on it. And maybe something with a dedicated IP so that spam blacklisting is less likely...?

I really don't wanna go back to managing my own server because it used to stress me out a lot.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fuf posted:

I'm still trying to come up with a good solution for email hosting. I currently have ~50 mailboxes on Fastmail just so I don't have to stress about it, but the cost is getting crazy.

I have a really good reseller package for website hosting, but they only give me 250gb of space, and even though most clients have websites that are only a few hundred megabytes, they will happily fill up a 30gb mailbox in a year or so.

I guess I need a separate server / hosting package just for email. Something with a lot of disk space but where speed doesn't matter that much because there'll be no websites on it. And maybe something with a dedicated IP so that spam blacklisting is less likely...?

I really don't wanna go back to managing my own server because it used to stress me out a lot.

Why not just put them each on their own GSuite/whatever they call it now plan? Are you charging them for email or including that as a value-added with their hosting?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah I'm charging them but not that much. I guess part of my motivation is to move to a system where I'm paying for a single server / package rather per user / mailbox, so I can actually make a bit more money out of this stuff.

I found a few reseller packages that offer a lot more disk space (including "unlimited" which makes me wary) for a lot cheaper than my current provider, so I might risk moving a few clients over to those and see how it goes.

I'm always up for more recommendations for UK hosts if anyone has any. Or maybe I could get away with EU too I dunno. Here's the result of my research yesterday if anyone is interested:

My requirements:
WHM (so I can integrate with whmcs)
at least 100 cpanel licenses
at least 500gb disk space
Jetbackup or similar daily backups
Letsencrypt or similar easy cpanel SSL installation

Desired:
Installatron (no one seems to offer this anymore, but it's by far the best solution I've found for easily moving WordPress sites around between subdomains and different accounts)
Litespeed or similar cache

https://krystal.uk/ (my current provider): great for hosting but only 250gb on their most expensive reseller package

https://www.20i.com/: looks like it would be good for email but uses their own custom control panel that only offers wildcards SSLs so I wouldn't be able to use it for all hosting

https://www.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk/: "unlimited" disk space, but no litespeed

https://shockhosting.net/reseller: "unlimited" disk space, but uses autoSSL instead of letsencrypt, which I haven't tried yet

There's also loads of providers that offer reseller packages with lots or unlimited disk space, but which limit mailboxes to 10gb and have no flexibility to add more.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The answer is to become a google/ms reseller and they give you a 15-20% margin.

It's not the answer you want, but it's where the market has gone. Otherwise get a vps and install your favourite cpanel/whms/whatever and janitor it yourself.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
General rule of thumb, as long as there's a finite number of stars in the universe unlimited will never exist.

On unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk:

quote:

6.5 "Unlimited" features: Where we say, in this Agreement or on the Website generally, that features of the Services are "unlimited", that is always subject to:

6.5.1 fair use;

6.5.2 your use of the Services for what a reasonable person might consider to be the provision of a publicly available website;

6.5.3 Clause 7.12; and

6.5.4 your compliance with Clauses 7.2.11(e), 7.8, 7.10 and 7.11.

quote:

You acknowledge that the Services and any Material may not be used for the purpose of data warehousing such as (but not limited to) storage of backup or archival data, mirror sites, or personal multimedia content such as movies, music, photos or other media.

On shockhosting.net:

quote:

Unlimited & unmetered claims have software and hardware limitations, and are subject to a discretionary fair use policy by our team. Our hosting plans are intended only to be used for content relevant to a hosted website, any form of backup storage, file locker services, personal media (e.g. photos, movies, music or any other form of media) is not permitted. If you are using more of any resource than is considered realistic or reasonable for the relevant platform then you will be notified via ticket to reduce your usage. If any user' usage of a resource imposes a risk to the integrity of the platform, they may have their service(s) suspended to prevent any disruptions.

You're at the mercy of a sysadmin that on a whim can decide your 500 GB is no longer eligible for fair use. It's best to go with a provider that sets firm, reasonable limits in writing.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

unknown posted:

The answer is to become a google/ms reseller and they give you a 15-20% margin.

It's not the answer you want, but it's where the market has gone. Otherwise get a vps and install your favourite cpanel/whms/whatever and janitor it yourself.

nem posted:

General rule of thumb, as long as there's a finite number of stars in the universe unlimited will never exist.

Thanks, yeah I know deep down you guys are both right.

Honestly I think sometimes I just get excited at the idea of finding a really good deal with a new provider. I'll get over it in a couple of days.

I'll probably stick with fastmail for all the existing mailboxes, because at least it has some cheaper tiers than google / microsoft.

I might risk putting a few new clients on https://www.20i.com/, because their email setup seems pretty good.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
If I add another domain to my shared hosting account, are people able to infer what my other website is, in some way? I'm asking because I want to set up a website under a pseudonym, but I'm not sure if that's really effective when I'm doing it on the same account as my realname.com website. (I'm on hostineer btw, but don't think that matters)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If it's on the same hosting account, it'll almost certainly be using the same IP and there are tools/websites that will list all the sites. However if you're on a large shared hosting service, you'll probably find there's a lot of sites
so there's still some obscurity. (My two sites have 250+ and 800+ sites on their IP). On the other hand, if you are in the situation of having a dedicated IP for your account, then suddenly adding a second domain would be a rather obvious breadcumb...

https://dnslytics.com/reverse-ip

As to inferring if different domains are the same account; I think there answer is that it should be safe but then people do have habit of coming up with novel methods of leaking information via side channels. Are we talking "Don't alert colleagues to my harry potter fanfiction website" or "teenage hackers might swat me"?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Nah, it's more about "harry potter fanfiction". But thanks for that reverse ip link, seems like I share the same ip with 200 other sites. That's good.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

busalover posted:

Nah, it's more about "harry potter fanfiction". But thanks for that reverse ip link, seems like I share the same ip with 200 other sites. That's good.

Don't do it. I recently uncovered a lynchpin in a fraud scheme I was investigating with a reverse IP search. I was able to find other websites that the people doing the fraud owned which were in violation of the thing they said they would do.

It was on a shared host with ~500 ip addresses so I wrote 4 lines of code to find the ones that were active sites (maybe 200 of them) and then pasted all of them in to a browser plugin that opens 200 tabs. This took me maybe 15 minutes and is a standard tool in my toolbox.

dOnT dO iT

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CarForumPoster posted:

Don't do it. I recently uncovered a lynchpin in a fraud scheme I was investigating with a reverse IP search. I was able to find other websites that the people doing the fraud owned which were in violation of the thing they said they would do.

It was on a shared host with ~500 ip addresses so I wrote 4 lines of code to find the ones that were active sites (maybe 200 of them) and then pasted all of them in to a browser plugin that opens 200 tabs. This took me maybe 15 minutes and is a standard tool in my toolbox.

dOnT dO iT

Why didn’t they use the privacy option in their domains?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
That wouldn't change any part of the process described

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Hiding these domains behind CF or any other reverse proxy would provide reasonable accommodation affordance so long as you've got an outbound smart-host that scrubs your poo poo and your MX is elsewhere.

If you want to be illicit be smart. If you want to be a gAnGStA, then have at it. If you want to skirt the rules, then understand how they work in the first place.

nem fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 5, 2021

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

I’m interested in getting into hosting reselling. I have a demographic and branding in mind, researched some providers, and I have no issue with being the front end customer support.

But I don’t know much about the actual tech involved…I just have some experience with cPanel, Wordpress, and domain registration and that’s it. What are some books I can read, or crash courses or I can take to understand what id be getting into better so I can design the front end of this businesses?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Countdown to Vanessie Inc. being acquired by EIG

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vanessie posted:

I’m interested in getting into hosting reselling. I have a demographic and branding in mind, researched some providers, and I have no issue with being the front end customer support.

But I don’t know much about the actual tech involved…I just have some experience with cPanel, WordPress, and domain registration and that’s it. What are some books I can read, or crash courses or I can take to understand what id be getting into better so I can design the front end of this businesses?

I have managed to get away with just using WHM (lets you provision and manage multiple cPanel accounts) and WHMCS (for invoicing and automatic provisioning) for many years. Most of the job is just migrating WordPress sites around and changing DNS records. Maybe setting up some email accounts. If you are going to get your clients to manage their own cPanel account (I rarely do) then you don't even have to do most of that.

I can't really think of any books or courses, I have always just figured out how to do something when a client asks. Remember that since you are basically a useless middle man the only value you are really adding for your client is being friendly and explaining things clearly.

You could look into managing a server yourself but if you aren't that technical then it's probably better just to get a reseller package from a good provider that gives you access to WHM and maybe a free WHMCS license if you're lucky. Make sure you find a provider that does at least daily external backups either for free or as a cheap addon. Eventually it will save your rear end when you gently caress up somehow or a client breaks their website. I could recommend some providers but they are all UK-based.

I could say a lot more but I feel a bit silly because I know there are guys who run actual hosting companies in this thread. But honestly if you can get things ticking over nicely then it's a pretty decent little supplementary income. I got into it purely by accident and now I host just under 100 sites and spend maaaybe 20 minutes of my time on it per day on average, alongside my main job.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yo if I have some domains and want to just set up email addresses on them what's a good basic just email host that's gonna last that I can subscribe to and associate the domains to.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yo if I have some domains and want to just set up email addresses on them what's a good basic just email host that's gonna last that I can subscribe to and associate the domains to.

Google?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For four of us that'd end up being AUD$34 a month, that's fairly dear just for email hosting, isn't it?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

For four of us that'd end up being AUD$34 a month, that's fairly dear just for email hosting, isn't it?

You asked if they’d be around and I don’t think google is going anywhere.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

if you don't care about useless spam filtering, deliverability, or whatever else and don't need any reliability at all, the usual domain registrars are $1 or less per mailbox per month

alternatively, fastmail family plans or gogole workspace are basically your "I want something that will last"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cloudflare have an email routing product in beta which you can use in conjunction with eg Gmail

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Webhosting goons,

I want to fire up a webstore. But i dont want to use shopify or squarespace because i dont want to owe my host any % of my sales. I like the idea of hosting and running opencart or another free / cheap shopping cart tool and deal with as few middlemen as possible.

What would make the most sense? Looks like i can do a cheap 2 GB ram lamp instance on google's cloud computing platform for around $13/mo which doesn't sound bad. Will i need more ram to run lamp and a webstore with little traffic? Any other software i should look at?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

scott zoloft posted:

Webhosting goons,

I want to fire up a webstore. But i dont want to use shopify or squarespace because i dont want to owe my host any % of my sales. I like the idea of hosting and running opencart or another free / cheap shopping cart tool and deal with as few middlemen as possible.

What would make the most sense? Looks like i can do a cheap 2 GB ram lamp instance on google's cloud computing platform for around $13/mo which doesn't sound bad. Will i need more ram to run lamp and a webstore with little traffic? Any other software i should look at?

I was helping my sister out with some Squarespace stuff over Thanksgiving (transferring domains from Godaddy to Squarespace for ease of management) and I was pretty impressed with Squarespace. She had great things to say about it, and likes that it lets her focus on her business rather than spending time on technology administration crap. I'm curious what other goons might say but honestly I think Squarespace would be better in the long run rather than going the DIY route and having to admin your own LAMP box, unless you want to do that stuff as kind of a side hobby thing.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

fletcher posted:

I was helping my sister out with some Squarespace stuff over Thanksgiving (transferring domains from Godaddy to Squarespace for ease of management) and I was pretty impressed with Squarespace. She had great things to say about it, and likes that it lets her focus on her business rather than spending time on technology administration crap. I'm curious what other goons might say but honestly I think Squarespace would be better in the long run rather than going the DIY route and having to admin your own LAMP box, unless you want to do that stuff as kind of a side hobby thing.

I'm seeing there's a $26/mo commerce tier that doesn't charge per transaction. That might make sense for me. Thanks!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

scott zoloft posted:

Webhosting goons,

Having setup this stuff for other people, someone's almost always going to end up taking a percentage + per-transaction fee. If you run your own box with LAMP and Magento or Woocommerce or something you'll still need someone to process payments (probably Stripe or Paypal), all of which will take a cut.

At least with something like Squarespace the processing fee is built into the cost for the store itself, plus you don't have to manage anything yourself!

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
If you're handling transactions directly you're also liable for PCI-DSS compliance, including periodic SAQ. Shopify really is your best option unless you want to assume that risk and punitive fines for a breach.

After recurring PCI scanning fees, administrative overhead from actually securing your server, and VPS monthly costs Shopify is the best value for your money. That's excluding getting skewered by a $500k fine for getting breached if you handle cardholder data directly or indirectly at any point in the transaction. Odds of incurring such a hefty fine is negatively correlated to your competence as a sysadmin.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

nem posted:

If you're handling transactions directly you're also liable for PCI-DSS compliance, including periodic SAQ. Shopify really is your best option unless you want to assume that risk and punitive fines for a breach.

After recurring PCI scanning fees, administrative overhead from actually securing your server, and VPS monthly costs Shopify is the best value for your money. That's excluding getting skewered by a $500k fine for getting breached if you handle cardholder data directly or indirectly at any point in the transaction. Odds of incurring such a hefty fine is negatively correlated to your competence as a sysadmin.

Yeah even if i do properly secure my webserver i don't need the anxiety of having to steward people's cc #s and personal info weighing on me in the back of my mind. Very good point

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Stripe, PayPal, and others I'm sure have tools to process payment with none of the credit card stuff touching your server. Deploying a shopping cart app with payment processing webhooks is still a pain in the rear end and that should be the reason for not doing it instead of the credit card boogie man stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CopperHound posted:

Stripe, PayPal, and others I'm sure have tools to process payment with none of the credit card stuff touching your server. Deploying a shopping cart app with payment processing webhooks is still a pain in the rear end and that should be the reason for not doing it instead of the credit card boogie man stuff.

Even still, you just store the token and not the credit card number for any payment system in the last ten years. Right? Right?

We had half our customers card info in the NOTES section on the old AS/400 system

:eek:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have professional experience with Chase Paymentech and Cybersource and doing the whole in-house thing and I wouldn't wish it on anyone especially a hobbyist. No part of that kind of work is fun IMO it's all arcane APIs and compliance work. At my current job we use Stripe but I'm luckily far away from payments these days.

My partner has a thing they do for fun where they make catnip-filled cat toys out of yarn, we set up a Shopify store and it was fantastically easy. Ultimately we decided to shut it down because even the low monthly fee was eating away at any profits for a low-volume unadvertised side-gig like that. I think next step will be a self-hosted static site with PayPal 'Buy now' buttons, since we don't really need a cart.

If you're actually intending to advertise and hustle and be serious about the business, I recommend Shopify 100%, the cost is worth it if you value your time at all, and highly recommend against any kind of DIY payments.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If I want to setup a small site, no commerce, low traffic, I'll write the server- what's the cheapest hosting service I can use these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

What do you mean by you'll write the server?