Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Modern Leper posted:

*You were probably around 12 when first exposed to Jackass*
*I'd imagine most adults first being exposed to Jackass today probably also don't give a poo poo about Jackass, and would not necessarily find them to be "very clearly funny"*

I don't know what to tell you, man. Comedy's subjective but also Jackass is an extremely popular franchise, comparing it to prank youtubers is just straight up stupid. There's four Jackass movies, there are 0 PrankMasterAnthony movies.
Also if you hang around people who don't think Jackass is funny I would recommend finding better people to hang out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Also Jackass came out around the time most goons were in high school or college

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know what to tell you, man. Comedy's subjective but also Jackass is an extremely popular franchise, comparing it to prank youtubers is just straight up stupid. There's four Jackass movies, there are 0 PrankMasterAnthony movies.
Also if you hang around people who don't think Jackass is funny I would recommend finding better people to hang out with.

Prank youtubers/tiktokers are extremely popular with certain age groups, that we don't like them doesn't make them less popular

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

GonSmithe posted:

I like Jackass but 'random guys recording themselves loving around and getting hurt in parking lots' was basically the YouTube of the late 90s/early 2000s and now you can become a millionaire from just that without needing to get an MTV show first so :shrug:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

It's pretty funny that that was the line the MPAA drew because there is a lot of dick. Was also surprised to see an rear end in a top hat in an R rated movie.

Yeah, even after reading this thread, I was surprised at how much dick and balls were in this movie. Even as a gay man who always welcomes more dick and balls. There were dick or balls in probably 50% of the scenes? Given how much there was, I have to wonder if the one they had to cut to avoid the NC-17 rating was because someone was actually hard in the scene? I can't imagine them saying, 15 flaccid penises for an R rating, but 16 pushes you over into NC-17 territory.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watched the first episode of Station Eleven...2real 2soon. I can tell it's gonna be good though.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

As someone who grew up in the Jackass Era and also teaches Middle School I feel qualified to settle this debate: The kids do like prank videos, but don't know/care about Jackass. They're into stuff like Mr. Beast who does extremely lame challenge/prank videos that get like 100 million views each.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Chas McGill posted:

Watched the first episode of Station Eleven...2real 2soon. I can tell it's gonna be good though.

It's dope as hell, keep watching.

And I watched the new jackass movie today and it was great. Especially at the end with the Ryan Dunn stuff, it made me a tear up a little I won't lie.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Nihonniboku posted:

I can't imagine them saying, 15 flaccid penises for an R rating, but 16 pushes you over into NC-17 territory.

Clearly you aren’t aware of how incredibly stupid and arbitrary the MPAA is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

Clearly you aren’t aware of how incredibly stupid and arbitrary the MPAA is.

I've definitely read stories of movies that resubmitted the same cut with absolutely no changes at all and got a lower rating. There's really no rhyme or reason to it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Trey Stone and Matt Parker talked about that in a interview after they made the South Park movie and whenever the MPAA said they had to cut or reshoot a scene because of violence or whatever they made it way more crazy and eventually it would get approved

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This is a must watch for anyone interested in the current discussion.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wretched human beings one and all.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hehe

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It was announced today that The Real Housewives of New York will be split into two shows.

The ratings went into the tank in season 13. The show had lost several longtime cast members, and producers saw it as an opportunity to make the cast younger and more diverse, as the cast was otherwise in their 50s or 60s, and entirely white.

They brought in 30 something Leah, a fashion designer in season 12, and Eboni, a lawyer and former Fox News contributor (and can currently be seen on CBS's Beyond the Edge. The older cast generally rejected the newer cast members, and really struggled how to handle race issues. Ramona and Heather were overtly racist towards Eboni in particular. They ended up scrapping the reunion altogether, and put the show on hold until they could figure out a solution.

Season 14 on Bravo will feature a reboot of the cast, with the intention of reflecting a more diverse New York City. Its unclear if it will feature the returns of Leah and Eboni in this show.

A show featuring legacy cast members from the past will air on Peacock (hence why this post is relevant to this thread). I expect it will likely include Ramona, Luann, Dorinda, Sonja, and Jill at the very least, although they've made no casting announcements.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Field Mousepad posted:

It's dope as hell, keep watching.

Yeah just watched episode 3. It's very good.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Nihonniboku posted:

It was announced today that The Real Housewives of New York will be split into two shows.

The ratings went into the tank in season 13. The show had lost several longtime cast members, and producers saw it as an opportunity to make the cast younger and more diverse, as the cast was otherwise in their 50s or 60s, and entirely white.

They brought in 30 something Leah, a fashion designer in season 12, and Eboni, a lawyer and former Fox News contributor (and can currently be seen on CBS's Beyond the Edge. The older cast generally rejected the newer cast members, and really struggled how to handle race issues. Ramona and Heather were overtly racist towards Eboni in particular. They ended up scrapping the reunion altogether, and put the show on hold until they could figure out a solution.

Season 14 on Bravo will feature a reboot of the cast, with the intention of reflecting a more diverse New York City. Its unclear if it will feature the returns of Leah and Eboni in this show.

A show featuring legacy cast members from the past will air on Peacock (hence why this post is relevant to this thread). I expect it will likely include Ramona, Luann, Dorinda, Sonja, and Jill at the very least, although they've made no casting announcements.

I don't watch these but this sounds like they're doing... Real Housewives of NY and Real White Housewives of NY? Am I misreading this?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chaotic Flame posted:

I don't watch these but this sounds like they're doing... Real Housewives of NY and Real White Housewives of NY? Am I misreading this?

Basically. It's kind of a mess? I think they're too scared to make the right decisions. We'll see how it works out.

Below Deck and Summer House are the superior Bravo shows these days. Below Deck Down Under is a Peacock exclusive, and just premiered its first 3 episodes. This is the 4th iteration of Below Deck, after the original series (currently filming its 10th season), Below Deck Mediterranean (filming for season 7 is finished), and Below Deck Sailing Yacht (currently airing season 3). All former seasons are on Peacock.

Past seasons of Summer House are also on Peacock. Summer House started as a loose spin off of Vanderpump Rules, which is a spin off of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. The first couple of seasons were a little rough, but they've found their groove, and the latest episode to air this week was ::chef's kiss::

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

The few exceptions I can think of is in the film where they harass the Japanese public, like pretending to be a cone in front of an escalator. There was also the air horn with the golfers, but to be fair they seemed to be just a bunch of rich assholes.

Party Boy Japan will forever be a good and cool skit. it's not harassment, it's genuinely trying to include them in an atmosphere of fun and partying :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Modern Leper posted:

*You were probably around 12 when first exposed to Jackass*
*I'd imagine most adults first being exposed to Jackass today probably also don't give a poo poo about Jackass, and would not necessarily find them to be "very clearly funny"*

When Jackass first aired, I "hated" it and always made sure everyone knew that I was a Very Serious Cool Indie Artist Intellectual and that i disaprooved of such childish tomfoolery

in other words i was a tremendous dumbass

it's only in the last few years that i've realized that Jackass is Good, Actually

myth busted

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was once too good for Jackass myself, then I think I saw a clip where they dress up like pandas and ran around terrorizing some Asian folks, later eating sushi, and one of them snorted a bunch of wasabi and soy sauce and I had a time trying not to laugh at the aftermath.

And then there was the one where I guess Bam is in an unweildy costume, openly urinating, and one of them just holds a cup underneath his stream without his knowing, and a split second later empties in his face. He howls something about having eaten asparagus.

It's the simplest, stupidest things, really. One of these days I'll catch the TV show or movie or whatever it is, have me a giggle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thinking about the horse cum skit still makes me gag

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The first image that always comes to mind when someone mentions Jackass will always be the group of them all huddled around Steve-o wearing that loving fart helmet contraption and cackling while he barfs inside it. It’s so intensely juvenile and dumb and you just can’t force yourself to not laugh at the absurdity of it. :allears:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The terrorist skit was horrifying.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Who hasn’t joked about putting pubes on their face to pretend to be a terrorist???

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

speaking of nc17.. hell yea dude

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder if it portrays Marilyn having sex with JFK and that's like, an automatic no-no zone or something

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Martman posted:

I wonder if it portrays Marilyn having sex with JFK and that's like, an automatic no-no zone or something

Maybe they show her doing a lot of enemas.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

When Jackass first aired, I "hated" it and always made sure everyone knew that I was a Very Serious Cool Indie Artist Intellectual and that i disaprooved of such childish tomfoolery

in other words i was a tremendous dumbass

it's only in the last few years that i've realized that Jackass is Good, Actually

myth busted
I was very much this person, and I've gotten over it like you have, but I still haven't watched any Jackass. So I get all the cred of being humble about my past opinions without any of the cultural baggage of knowing what's going on at all.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm less enthused about NC17 De Armas Monroe after seeing Deep Water this week, a sexy thriller starring two very attractive people that was incredibly unsexy and nonthrilling, made more frustrating by the fact that you can see the pieces for a good movie there that just...never happens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
First episode of the Halo TV series on Paramount+ just dropped.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Uhhh, some of the aliens in the Halo show look like Farscape puppets and I don’t know if that was on purpose or not.

Some neat visuals elsewhere, though. Especially on Planet Reach and the Covenant headquarters, “High Charity”.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm less enthused about NC17 De Armas Monroe after seeing Deep Water this week, a sexy thriller starring two very attractive people that was incredibly unsexy and nonthrilling, made more frustrating by the fact that you can see the pieces for a good movie there that just...never happens.

I haven't watched it but I think Affleck and De Armas had just broken up when they were filming that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonz posted:

First episode of the Halo TV series on Paramount+ just dropped.

Just gave it a watch, and so far I'm... cautiously optimistic? I do like that they acknowledge and focus on showing that the USNC are very much not good guys, and generally go for a more subdued tone rather than "Big hero John Halo punches out all the evil aliens and saves the day". It's also quite faithful to the source material int terms of look and feel, so that's nice. That said, the VFX are a little bit dodgy sometimes (especially when they're placed in bright flat lighting like the desert sequence early on), and the direction of the action scenes could be tighter. But still, overall not bad at all, I'll keep watching for now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looking forward to Mr. Halo taking his helmet off to reveal John Krasinski.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I thought halo was good enough to keep watching. Some parts are a bit rough visually (some of the spartan movements felt very floaty and weightless) but it certainly looks like Halo.

I could also use less of helmet vision.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

i thought it was great until the third act which completely fizzles out and is also quite stupid. worth a watch for the first half or so

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Or watch the entirety of a good movie there's quite a few

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

Or watch the entirety of a good movie there's quite a few

are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Season 1 of "Our Flag Means Death" concluded today.

Found it to be very entertaining and surprised they went the whole way into the two protagonists being a couple. Thought it would just be a bromance.

I'm also very shocked that the show is based (albeit loosely) on a true story.