Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Opopanax posted:

I failed my first road test because my instructor didn't cover turn signals at all and I genuinely didn't know you had to turn them off manually :downs:

Woof, demand a refund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The Triumph has a triangular turn signal switch, so apparently even genius motorcycle engineers forget you have to push that button in too. I'm in the random excessive poke camp myself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

some kinda jackal posted:

I can't wait for my DRZ to be back on the road. There's no tachometer and it doesn't really go super fast so I'm never breaking the speed limit. Never need to look down.

You know the drz has been revved enough because it’s bouncing off the rev limiter. Easy peasy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

The Triumph has a triangular turn signal switch, so apparently even genius motorcycle engineers forget you have to push that button in too. I'm in the random excessive poke camp myself.

What advertisers think motorcyclists have in common: freedom, adventure, the open road, a desire to spend money when you hear a gravelly Sam Elliot voice

What motorcyclists actually have in common: nervous tic in the left thumb, goofy dances at stoplights, "your old lady won't let you have a hawg/you'd totally kill yourself on a crotchrocket, huh? Man that sucks"

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Phy posted:

What advertisers think motorcyclists have in common: freedom, adventure, the open road, a desire to spend money when you hear a gravelly Sam Elliot voice

What motorcyclists actually have in common: nervous tic in the left thumb, goofy dances at stoplights, "your old lady won't let you have a hawg/you'd totally kill yourself on a crotchrocket, huh? Man that sucks"

no thank you

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

"How fast does that thing go?"

I like to rock back and forth at stoplights by letting out the clutch and pulling it back in right before it stalls does that count? :dance:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not talking like get off the bike, just shaking/stretching out the cramps. My dignity is not worth the price of sore-rear end limbs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Every motorcyclist is either a compulsive turn signal canceler or compulsive top gear checker. I am both

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I still cancel signals on my bikes that have automatic signal canceling, just out of habit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I could ride exclusively Harleys and goldwings for a decade and I still wouldn't trust the auto cancelling. The indicator cancel button is my comfort blanket.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sagebrush posted:

Every motorcyclist is either a compulsive turn signal canceler or compulsive top gear checker. I am both

:hmmyes:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
On Harleys (except for the new Sportster S, I hear) there is no cancel signal button. The button to signal is also the button to cancel (it’s not idempotent). This drives me crazy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
On BMW cars, a light tap the other direction cancels three-blink mode, which is great. My driving instructor laughed his rear end off at me trying to subsequently cancel left-right-left etc on his nissan that didn't do this. (Light tap just started a new three blink the other direction)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Despite my first three motorcycles having very aggressive auto-cancellation features on the indicators, I've basically programmed myself to hit the reset button when I turn on my Ducati/Kawasaki. I just don't want to be that goober who has his signal on for miles. Even when I don't need to signal I'll hit the button. It's just a part of my cycle: clutch out/throttle open, reset button, shift up, etc.

What about on the Harley?

They are supposed to auto cancel, but don't if you only turned gently.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

This was the case on my Honda 125.

It is not the case on Bob; not ever have I, when in 6th, thought to myself "hmmm, wish I had another gear". Mashing the canceller (i.e. the turn signal button on either side) will result in the turn signal being on every other mash until you figure out which mash is the one to turn it off.

I hate the auto-cancel on Bob; it works sometimes, but when it does and you try and cancel anyway inadvertantly because you don't sodding stare at the blinking on the instrument gauge constantly, you're just starting the signalling again. Fucks sake.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I could ride exclusively Harleys and goldwings for a decade and I still wouldn't trust the auto cancelling. The indicator cancel button is my comfort blanket.

Wish there was an aftermarket canceller for Harleys.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised no company has made a "fidget toy for riderz" that is just a turn signal button that you cancel. Like just a cheap module on a keyring or something that cyclegear foists on every customer for the sale price of 9.99 (only today!)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Cut the wire off, bam, fidget toy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

My Goldwing has auto cancelling turn signals, they work flawlessly, and I still compulsively cancel them. However, its gear indicator has stopped me from constantly trying to shift into 6th gear.

On the SV I am still perpetually looking for 7th gear however

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

What about on the Harley?

They are supposed to auto cancel, but don't if you only turned gently.

Yeah the Harley is the one I meant for the aggressive auto cancel. I've found unless I'm basically tiptoeing around a parking lot it'll cancel itself. Seems like the Road Glide is much better at it than my 2011 Sportster was, so it might have improved over time or it could be a weight thing. Either way it seems better at it than my cars.

The Ducati also has auto-cancelling signals (apparently), but like everything Italian, it takes its sweet rear end time. I just hit the cancel button after I turn.

epswing posted:

On Harleys (except for the new Sportster S, I hear) there is no cancel signal button. The button to signal is also the button to cancel (it’s not idempotent). This drives me crazy.

It seems if one didn't start with a Harley they'll absolutely hate the Harley's signal button situation, and if one started with a Harley they'll have no opinion on the ergonomics or number of buttons involved in signaling.

Also hey look at that, I learned a new word today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harley specifically moved from a simple 'speedo going up > cancel indicators' system to a system where the indicators are controlled by a module that looks at wheel speed and had a lookup table, so the cancellation is theoretically somewhat dynamic and more in tune with what you're actually doing. Imo this is Harley straying into 'solution looking for a problem' territory, which is usually aggressively defended by ktm and Honda.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

on my er6 cruising on the highway is about half my bikes top speed so if it looks like i could go twice as fast in the same gear then i know im in 6th :downs:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just a reminder that Honda is like black sabbath: any original ideas you get have already been done by them decades ago

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Harley specifically moved from a simple 'speedo going up > cancel indicators' system to a system where the indicators are controlled by a module that looks at wheel speed and had a lookup table, so the cancellation is theoretically somewhat dynamic and more in tune with what you're actually doing. Imo this is Harley straying into 'solution looking for a problem' territory, which is usually aggressively defended by ktm and Honda.

Stupid loving Harley. Bring back the heritage 'speedo going up > cancel indicators' . It sounds way better than the new system.

Strife posted:

Yeah the Harley is the one I meant for the aggressive auto cancel. I've found unless I'm basically tiptoeing around a parking lot it'll cancel itself. Seems like the Road Glide is much better at it than my 2011 Sportster was, so it might have improved over time or it could be a weight thing. Either way it seems better at it than my cars.

Mine doesn't cancel itself, neither on my 2019 Bob nor on my 2020 LiveWire, unless either one senses a significant change in lean angle.

Strife posted:

It seems if one didn't start with a Harley they'll absolutely hate the Harley's signal button situation, and if one started with a Harley they'll have no opinion on the ergonomics or number of buttons involved in signaling.

I started with a Honda 125, which had no goldwing fancy sensors, i.e. no auto-cancel, so I was used to mashing cancel. I got Bob and began to prefer the indicator buttons on either side, but have never got on with the auto-cancel at all.

Now when I sit a non-Harley, I dislike the left-hand-thumb only signalling (while realising it is superior in everyway to Harley's both-thumb tech) but love the finality of "mash it often and you know they're well and truly cancelled" on a non-Harley.

Signal buttons are a land of contrasts.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Imo this is Harley straying into 'solution looking for a problem' territory, which is usually aggressively defended by ktm and Honda.

BMW too right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bmw are above and beyond the mere mortal plane and have ascended to a higher dimension of pure engineering, pure essence of Germany, so they have three buttons.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Left, Right, Double frap with two extra pumps of syrup?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Bmw are above and beyond the mere mortal plane and have ascended to a higher dimension of pure engineering, pure essence of Germany, so they have three buttons.

Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right when it comes to signalling on the cars; the BMW indicator stalk is so much nicer than the other cars I've driven (i.e. 5: Toyota, Honda, Vauxhall and Mercedes). It's crisper, auto-cancels perfectly, you can nudge it slightly in either direction to cancel manually.

I wonder how good their bike's indicator buttons are... I really need that R18 test ride.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Granted I've only ridden maybe a dozen or so different bikes, but I can't think of a single one where the switchgear left any impression on me at all, other than "this isn't very intuitive or easy to use" (BMW GS).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Also this post is :perfect:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

only the old ones AFAIK, my 2015 and the newer bikes I've ridden have the same style indicator switch that's been on every non-HD I've been on (under left thumb, slide left to signal left, right for right, press to cancel)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

KTM’s is pretty simple, just reads off the tone ring used for ABS / speed and cancels after 500m or so iirc

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My Zero does a combination of lean angle sensor and distance and it's been flawless for me.

I still mash the cancel button though.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Remembering my CB250's primitive turn signals that didn't even have a cancel button: just a center position, left signal, and right signal. Signal is on when switch is extreme left or right, otherwise off.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slide Hammer posted:

Remembering my CB250's primitive turn signals that didn't even have a cancel button: just a center position, left signal, and right signal. Signal is on when switch is extreme left or right, otherwise off.

I've never operated a motorcycle that had anything nicer than this.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My gn125 has a little pyramid shaped 4 way switch that slides left right or center for signals and up and down for high beam. My China bike has the left/right toggle with push to cancel. It also has a little trigger to flash the high beam in addition to the regular on/off slider

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
my ktm doesnt have auto cancel so i just drive for miles in the left lane with my right blinker on :agesilaus:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tyrelhill posted:

my ktm doesnt have auto cancel so i just drive for miles in the left lane with my right blinker on :agesilaus:

Stdh.txt

There is no way a ktm flasher relay survives multiple miles of continuous operation :rolleyes:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The electric ride-share scooters I sometimes ride (one of these) will just cancel the blinker if has been on for "too long" -- so if you're at a red light for more than whatever their defined interval is, it will turn off! I am outraged. They also auto cancel after turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yamaha used to have a little sensor positioned behind the 0.1 mile wheel on the odometer on some models from the 90s. It was a little diode thing and I think it would trip at 0.1 mile increments.