Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's a pretty good movie I liked it

Goofy Movie might be better

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Treecko posted:

It's a pretty good movie I liked it

Goofy Movie might be better

Goofy Movie is a slow burn where over the course of your life you first identify with Max and then later with Goofy.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I've always been Goofy soooo....

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
belated lol at manchildren insisting they can't relate to the puberty story because girl
like yeah there's the specifically female experiences, but then there's poo poo tons of universals, or stuff that is close enough to still be relatable as hell
and then the girl specific stuff is fascinating for the insight into the similar but different experiences anyway so lmao

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Typical corporate metooing from the NYT to suggest that the cancer can be excised by shovelling money at the right directors and themes. You know instead of identifying rich rapists (easily done) and imprisoning them.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i saw a "Business Wisdom" quote that said like, "if you're a boss and the people around you all think like you, look like you, talk like you, you need to look inward and examine your decision making and leadership" or whatever. Like don't create a corporate monoculture of uncritical lackeys. I've seen similar thoughts about MeToo type malfeasance.

I think if a business structure is that hosed there is no manager who'd see that sentiment, realize they're the problem and vow to change. It doesn't happen, certainly not in bosses. Cut off the head.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's an ok movie OP. I liked the animation and the characters (especially the angry friend), but it lost a lot of points by devolving into the same old final battle snoozefest in the final act. I also think the panda was supposed to be a metaphor for being gay and how the rest of the family had pushed those feelings down, which makes a lot of sense, but Disney said nono.

My son enjoyed it though and insisted on watching it again the next day, so whatever.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

Typical corporate metooing from the NYT to suggest that the cancer can be excised by shovelling money at the right directors and themes. You know instead of identifying rich rapists (easily done) and imprisoning them.

I'm on the lookout for it and even I still fall into this trap sometimes.

Turning Red won't absolve us of our sins, but it's still a really good movie, IMO.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I also think the panda was supposed to be a metaphor for being gay

How you can tell this is Art is that it means something different to different people and can be interpreted a lot of different ways.

If it speaks to someone about gayness or menstruation or anger or mental illness or whatever, those are all valid. It's definitely not just one obvious thing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I thought this movie was going to be about the menstrual cycle, and how dealing with this new thing is difficult for girls, but it turned out to be a movie about how loving toxic Asian mothers are

And the girl never even got her period, just super powers, I guess?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

How China pandering is it?

Honestly Pixar has reached new heights here of trying to sell this movie to as many souls as possible on Earth, "Turning Red follows Meilin "Mei" Lee, a 13-year-old Chinese-Canadian student who, due to a hereditary curse, transforms into a giant red panda"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pandering to the lucrative lycanthropy segment

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its not like they just made up the chinese canadian thing, theres a huge chinese population in Toronto

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

J2DK posted:

Movie was cool. First half hour was like watching my sister. I couldn't ever watch this movie with my parents. My kids pointed said "Oh no. It's a bunch of Lolas" at some point. Generational trauma storyline hits harder than Encanto, but that might just be because I'm Asian.

I heard about the social media/culture war poo poo storm after I saw the film. Bits I saw were because the 13-year-old characters can be kind of obnoxious/cringe, because the natural process of menses was addressed, and because people "couldn't relate" to an Asian teenage girl.

13-year-old characters should be obnoxious and cringe sometimes after all. Menses is normal. Isn't teaching kids about situations they might never personally experience supposed to be part of preparing them for the world and part of children's media's value? People get hung up on weird poo poo. Even the Chinese culture is just a part of the movie with no CCP pandering like some worried about. This ain't Transformer 4 or Iron Man 3.

i am not asian but i also agree and think the generational trauma is done way better here then encanto because the mom isnt really the bad guy and neither is the grandma in this one. everyone clearly loves each other but they are all bad at communicating it and the mom does't want to gently caress up in the way her mom hosed up so she over compensates in other ways. its good poo poo. also i really liked the dad and thought he was well done because while he is kinda of joke character, he is clearly the only one who gets it, also he has a giant fetish.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's an ok movie OP. I liked the animation and the characters (especially the angry friend), but it lost a lot of points by devolving into the same old final battle snoozefest in the final act. I also think the panda was supposed to be a metaphor for being gay and how the rest of the family had pushed those feelings down, which makes a lot of sense, but Disney said nono.

My son enjoyed it though and insisted on watching it again the next day, so whatever.

i dont think it was ever about being gay, i think it was more "growing up espcially in that kinda of house hold"/

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Konar posted:

Honestly Pixar has reached new heights here of trying to sell this movie to as many souls as possible on Earth, "Turning Red follows Meilin "Mei" Lee, a 13-year-old Chinese-Canadian student who, due to a hereditary curse, transforms into a giant red panda"

turning red isn't even close to new heights of pandering. heights of pandaing, sure

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

fish and chips and dip posted:

How China pandering is it?

Not at all, it's set in Spadina Chinatown in Toronto, Canada, which was nice to see represented in an animated film. I went to Sheridan [big animation school in Canada] and worked for animation studios just off Spadina Ave during the set time period so it was kinda like a flashback in some ways.

I'll add it was nice to see Canadian references that wasn't the usual American-view-of-Canadians such as LOL Mounties/Hockey and everyone going A-boot!

That being said there is a "hoser" in there :)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's some Tim Horton's reference too (gently caress Tim Hortons)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

what sort of dialectic is present in this film

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Big K of Justice posted:

I'll add it was nice to see Canadian references that wasn't the usual American-view-of-Canadians such as LOL Mounties/Hockey and everyone going A-boot!

Yeah seeing the main characters take a 2000s era streetcar with the perma-dirt seats to a Daisy Mart near Dundas and Spadina was pretty great.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Big K of Justice posted:

That being said there is a "hoser" in there :)

As an American I thought the movie was bad because no one used a loonie to buy a bag of milk and some poutine. Also I didn’t see one moose.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Wow. There are a lot more Canadian-Chinese women from Toronto and loved Boy Bands in the early aughts on SA than I would have expected. Really changes my perspective on goon demographics.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Konar posted:

Considering how many men get squicked out by periods and can't handle a film with a female protagonist, I would say they're probably not

For real though, it's always funny when men complain that they can't relate to a female lead, but it's like, you're not a baseball player or a Navy SEAL or astronaut and you relate just fine with that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the reason Andrew Stanton didn't want his movie to be called Princess of Mars. He was worried no boys would watch it.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Considering how many men get squicked out by periods and can't handle a film with a female protagonist, I would say they're probably not

For real though, it's always funny when men complain that they can't relate to a female lead, but it's like, you're not a baseball player or a Navy SEAL or astronaut and you relate just fine with that?

That guy who had his review deleted probably saw all the instances of people claiming they couldn't relate to white male American protagonists, and assumed that it wouldn't be controversial for him to say the same thing

It's a notion that I never really understood, even as a kid I didn't hesitate to obsess over shows and films with protagonists that weren't white or male, because I identified them based mostly on their roles. The aforementioned power fantasy protags only work when the character behind the SEAL uniform or Indiana Jones getup is a blank slate, so the audience can believe that could do the same thing if put in the same situation. Which is partially why those dumb blockbuster films are still hugely successful even in nonwhite countries.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I liked this movie aside from the wallace gromit mouths

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lmao at anyone who would not watch a movie called "Princess of Mars."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

runnypoops posted:

I liked this movie aside from the wallace gromit mouths

What the gently caress was with the mouths? It's like they were trying to do a Miyazaki homage, but everyone looked like absolute poo poo

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Applewhite posted:

lmao at anyone who would not watch a movie called "Princess of Mars."

Wasn’t Disney worried that The Princess and the Frog was gonna tank because they thought boys wouldn’t want to see a movie that had “princess” in the title? Man, gently caress that noise real quick.

Movie is incredible and has my favorite Disney villain and song in it (“Friends on the Other Side”). Keith David loving owns as Dr. Facilier.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

So, anyway, uh… awooga?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

As an American I thought the movie was bad because no one used a loonie to buy a bag of milk and some poutine. Also I didn’t see one moose.

There was a prominent moose bobblehead in the mom's car

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

You Are A Elf posted:

Wasn’t Disney worried that The Princess and the Frog was gonna tank because they thought boys wouldn’t want to see a movie that had “princess” in the title? Man, gently caress that noise real quick.

Movie is incredible and has my favorite Disney villain and song in it (“Friends on the Other Side”). Keith David loving owns as Dr. Facilier.

i mean Keith David is amazing in loving any thing he is in especially voice stuff.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Not sure how to feel about this trend of people ironically getting married then ironically having kids so they can ironically watch Disney movies and ironically make sincere posts about them.

I mean I like irony as much as the next guy, but it just feels like maybe too much irony?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Told this story in a different thread but once while looking through a forum for updates on a game series, I saw someone mention they'd like to see a female lead for the newest game. One guy complained that this was a bad idea, that he wouldn't be able to relate to a woman protag. A few other people were like, "What the gently caress? You've been playing demon lords for five games but a woman is a bridge too far?"

Then he switched to, "No, no, this is supposed to be a power fantasy and playing a female would ruin that." Which was met with, "IT'S A loving DEMON LORD, IT CAN HAVE BOOBS AND WILL STILL BE STRONGER THAN YOU."

He pressed on, but I was too upset to keep reading. It hit me that I'm more alien to some guys than loving Kirby and that made me sad.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Please do not gently caress Kirby

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Stuffguyman posted:

Not sure how to feel about this trend of people ironically getting married then ironically having kids so they can ironically watch Disney movies and ironically make sincere posts about them.

I mean I like irony as much as the next guy, but it just feels like maybe too much irony?

https://www.theonion.com/why-cant-anyone-tell-im-wearing-this-business-suit-iron-1819584239

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sometimes having a kid pays off, because you'll be forced to watch something good.

I like to watch the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" movies with my son, because it's the adventures of a sociopathic boy who constantly fucks everyone's life up, 10/10

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Das Boo posted:

Told this story in a different thread but once while looking through a forum for updates on a game series, I saw someone mention they'd like to see a female lead for the newest game. One guy complained that this was a bad idea, that he wouldn't be able to relate to a woman protag. A few other people were like, "What the gently caress? You've been playing demon lords for five games but a woman is a bridge too far?"

Then he switched to, "No, no, this is supposed to be a power fantasy and playing a female would ruin that." Which was met with, "IT'S A loving DEMON LORD, IT CAN HAVE BOOBS AND WILL STILL BE STRONGER THAN YOU."

He pressed on, but I was too upset to keep reading. It hit me that I'm more alien to some guys than loving Kirby and that made me sad.

The ability to empathize at all is an alien concept to some dudes

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I can relate to mario as I'ma fat italian plumber whoohoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
humans are by their nature communal creatures. therefore in order for hierarchy to exist those occupying a position of power must dehumanize those below them. from this view the more power you have the more human you become. therefore there is no contradiction in being able to see a demon as more human than human and thus something that can be empathized with and a woman as a thing, a non-human object undeserving of empathy. indeed, the patriarchal kyriarchy demands it.