Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yah when I say lazy devs I mean lazy companies in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bleck posted:

I personally believe that setting unreasonable deadlines and then releasing a faulty product can, and should, be described as incompetence.
I was thinking of "devs" more as the actual front-lines programmers, but yeah, if you're talking about the company as a whole that's not unreasonable. Though a developer with an external publisher can't always set their own deadlines, and there's always investors to answer to so it's not 100% cut and dry even there. Blaming capitalism is much easier.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hmmm, companies with lots of money and employees can get ports working perfectly fine on the Switch, yet smaller companies with much less resources cannot.

Clearly, the problem is with the Switch. I am very intelligent.

if their stuff works on everything except the switch, yeah, that's where the problem seems to be lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's pretty straight forward, devs know that people who buy AAA games on switch have no other option so they can just be lazy and put out lovely ports. not sure what you don't get

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Foul Fowl posted:

oh i wasn't talking about AAA games, i was talking about synthetik, star renegades, and 40k mechanicus when i said their (i.e. the smaller devs') games work perfectly on everything else and were completely hosed on the switch. with no refunds. lol.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Foul Fowl posted:

if their stuff works on everything except the switch, yeah, that's where the problem seems to be lol

My dude, if Five Guys can make a good hamburger and Burger King cannot, there is not something fundamentally flawed with hamburgers that makes it impossible for Burger King to make a good one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
and some people say cucumber taste better pickled

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cucumbers are very refreshing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Foul Fowl posted:

the switch has way more broken and lovely ports than any other console. and no refunds. that's why you never buy switch ports at launch.

I bought Breath of the Wild at launch and feel pretty good about it. Did I make a mistake?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Can't quite find the info; anyone know if the upcoming Switch Sports game allows for normal bowling online? Like link up with a friend, bowl 10 frames, done kinda deal? Or is it only the special matchmaking 16-folks survival style?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

MassRafTer posted:

I bought Breath of the Wild at launch and feel pretty good about it. Did I make a mistake?

why are you asking me?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Commander Keene posted:

I was thinking of "devs" more as the actual front-lines programmers, but yeah, if you're talking about the company as a whole that's not unreasonable. Though a developer with an external publisher can't always set their own deadlines, and there's always investors to answer to so it's not 100% cut and dry even there. Blaming capitalism is much easier.

Capitalism rewards laziness and incompetence so long as you’re already rich, which is why the money havers aim straight for the bare minimum.

Unless someone is suggesting the frontline devs do a lovely job on purpose, everyone is describing the same problem.

(Except the guy bringing up tiny indie studios for whom plain lacking the resources to do a proper port is also a possibility)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Foul Fowl posted:

why are you asking me?

You said to never buy ports at launch!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Morter posted:

I blame them going 3d

Plenty of 3D games run fine on the Switch. Bad optimization is bad optimization.

I know that not every developer has Monolith Soft's technomancers bto optimize their games but being 3D is no reason for a game like Disgaea or Rune Factory to run badly on the Switch.

See also: Stranger of Paradise struggling because it's badly optimized with super inflated model detail and some overly complex light/reflection effect on soul bursts.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

MassRafTer posted:

You said to never buy ports at launch!

i was being hyperbolic it’s obviously fine to buy mainline nintendo games at launch they’re always good, i got burned 3 times on ported games i thought would be good to play handheld but they were broken. not running badly, actually not working. nintendo’s lack of a refund policy has therefore made me wary of buying ported games before i know they will work. and i think it’s a bit weird/suspicious that this has happened so many times on the switch. but i mean buy whatever you want, it’s a free world baby

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plenty of 3D games run fine on the Switch. Bad optimization is bad optimization.

I know that not every developer has Monolith Soft's technomancers bto optimize their games but being 3D is no reason for a game like Disgaea or Rune Factory to run badly on the Switch.

See also: Stranger of Paradise struggling because it's badly optimized with super inflated model detail and some overly complex light/reflection effect on soul bursts.

Well I mean specifically transitioning to 3D. The devs probably aren't good at it.

Also, I hope Wrestling Empire doesn't go on sale anytime soon, 'cause :20bux: :retrogames:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think it's safe to say that the Switch requires special developer attention to get the most performance out of it, on account of probably being lower spec than your phone at this point. The most incredible AAA ports that people point to, your Dooms and Witchers and such, are typically that good because an entire dedicated studio was contracted in and given a full year+ and a sizable engineering budget to devote to figuring out how to fit a three-course meal into a lunchbox.

If you're not one of those titans, than you either have to develop very specifically with the Switch in mind (which may not be possible if you're using an engine version that has crap performance, as a number of Unity games have fallen victim to, and good luck updating to a newer engine version without breaking the whole thing!) or pray that your PC game scales to low enough a spec that it isn't too much of a problem to get it over at a passable speed.

I guess what I'm saying is, Rune Factory 5 will probably be on Steam, PS4 and the like in a year.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The devs should just set the graphics to low, easy

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you're making a multiplatform game in 2022 and, especially if you're not AAA then you should develop on Switch as your primary target. For one, realistically it's probably where most of your sales volume is going to come from. Aside from that it's the lowest spec platform so as long as you keep that in mind during development of the game you should be OK. The problem comes in when developers target modern PCs or PS5 and then have to do a last-minute cut down to make it run on the Switch, which is never going to be as efficient as just keeping it within constraints during development. Otherwise this is a totally do-able strategy and plenty of smaller studios have gotten this right.

The problem with AAA is that folks have high-expectations for the next-gen console versions so they'll necessarily have to look better than a Switch version. People aren't going in with those expectations for Rune Factory though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Enter the Gungeon devs dropped their games file size in half for switch learning how to optimize. They then took that lesson to the pc version and everyone wins

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There's a saying in Computer Science, "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." And like I agree with it but that doesn't mean most developers (game, web, and app) need to push their baseline until their development machine struggles just to know that they're alive.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

oh i wasn't talking about AAA games, i was talking about synthetik, star renegades, and 40k mechanicus when i said their (i.e. the smaller devs') games work perfectly on everything else and were completely hosed on the switch. with no refunds. lol.

Mechanicus runs badly on everything, though. I love kerb stomping necrons as much as the next guy, but if it's overheating my laptop enough to shut it down just to run a stripped back XCOM, let's not pretend it runs perfectly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like having DE portably but I knew that was heading to trouble when it didn't particularly run well on the PS4 lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I played all of Mechanicus on switch and it stuttered and lagged and ran slow as poo poo and crashed twice

But I did play it all. The endgame huge maps with tons of dudes were lol for performance

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not sure why Nintendo hasn't done a harvest moon / Stardew valley like game yet. I feel like they could do a good one either as an original IP or a fun Mario characters mix.

Bowser's Garden of Doom when??

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They did, it's called Pikmin

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

flavor.flv posted:

They did, it's called Pikmin

That's an RTS! I wanna plant toadstools to sell to Captain Toad as fresh conscripts.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Capitalism rewards laziness and incompetence so long as you’re already rich,

Yeah I was gonna say that's not incompetence it's 100 percent calculated and is making stakeholders richer than you and I will ever be lmao

I also don't agree with the practices and find them appalling but to think it's genuine incompetence is such an innocent view of the industry.

I'm sure it's the same everywhere, in my non gaming related industry every time my client fucks my team over they get accolades, bonuses, promotions, new jobs etc. Every time we try to speak up, my bosses shut us down with the fury of a thousand sun and simply replace those who are regularly annoying because bodies are easy to replace.

My bosses aren't the ones doin the training or dealing w escalations etc so everyone but the help and our consumers wins! Even if the client is mad, they are all constantly making so much money that it's easy for my bosses to keep them happy while crushing us under their boot

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 23, 2022

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Most of the time “devs” aren’t even the ones making decisions on features. It’s very common in software development to have analysts/middlemen coming up with requirements, and the devs are left to figure out how to program those requirements. And the analysts are getting feature requirements from upper management, who are also the ones setting unrealistic deadlines. This is how you end up with crunch, management is setting deadlines based on high level estimates and the devs are forced to try and get everything done before the deadlines.

So you’re correct in blaming capitalism, everyone involved is trapped in the same whirlpool.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Not everyone is trapped. There are definite winners and losers, just so happens that most of us fall and are trapped into the losing side forever.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Nintendo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Foul Fowl posted:

i guess it's a coincidence that so many switch ports are hosed then :xd:
You just got ethered by an actual dev. Go home.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bug Squash posted:

Mechanicus runs badly on everything, though. I love kerb stomping necrons as much as the next guy, but if it's overheating my laptop enough to shut it down just to run a stripped back XCOM, let's not pretend it runs perfectly.

yeah you're right but i don't mind if things run badly in turn based games, mechanicus was fine in that sense. what i minded was that it had a bug that corrupted your save at around 25% completion of the game and this took about a month or so to fix, making the game actually unplayable. i also wouldn't mind any of this if nintendo let you refund games.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

American McGay posted:

You just got ethered by an actual dev. Go home.

:bighow:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

please don't fight. in the switch thread we should focus on how great the switch is, and how many great games there are to play.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I was gonna say that's not incompetence it's 100 percent calculated and is making stakeholders richer than you and I will ever be lmao

I also don't agree with the practices and find them appalling but to think it's genuine incompetence is such an innocent view of the industry.

[snip]

What you're describing is incompetence. how deliberate it is is immaterial; doing a poo poo job because you know you don't need to do better is still doing a poo poo job

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

An Actual Princess posted:

please don't fight. in the switch thread we should focus on how great the switch is, and how many great games there are to play.

okay sorry. i'm playing olliolli world and it's very good.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The SVVITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

some of these posters really need to 'switch' on their monitors