Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Getting used to sink showers helps. A washcloth and a large toilet at a petrol station do a great job. Washcloths make having a wash using just a sink so much more viable.

Iceland was probably the country where I had fewest showers but a decent petrol station every day or three got me cleanish. Longest without a shower on my trip was probably 2ish weeks but wet wipes/washcloth sink washes really made the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Washlets at every convenience store in Japan was a godsend for keeping my junk clean and fresh.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
gently caress, this is really lovely.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/iohan-gueorguiev-1988-2021/

I've seen all his videos and he was basically the reason I bought a Surly ECR and started bikepacking.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

gently caress. I've been watching his videos for years, I love how he was able to capture the beauty and tranquillity of the vast landscapes he rode through, but also the way he interacted with strangers and his positive outlook on life. His "See the world" series is so different from other bike touring videos and, in my opinion, much better for it. His channel is really my favourite youtube discovery ever, I'd recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in this kind of travel. May he rest in piece.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Any recs for spots to tour late Feb thru til the end of March? I'm leaving my job at the end of Feb and have to be back in California at the end of March so I'm looking for a 4-5 week tour somewhere around the globe. I have a lot of points saved up so the possibilities are endless but I don't really know where to go.

Obviously Covid makes international travel difficult but the thing I'm most concerned with is what to do with my bike travel bag while I'm touring.

I'm leaning towards Europe: Southern Italy to Barcelona, starting where the weather will be presumably tolerable and will get better as time goes on.

I would like to travel internationally but I could do the East Coast USA: Miami to NYC, the weather will still be trash I think though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Casual Yogurt posted:

Obviously Covid makes international travel difficult but the thing I'm most concerned with is what to do with my bike travel bag while I'm touring.
Wouldn't having to quarantine for 2 weeks be an equally big concern for your timetable?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn't having to quarantine for 2 weeks be an equally big concern for your timetable?

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Neither Spain nor Italy are requiring US travelers with up-to-date vaccines and negative tests to quarantine. :confused:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Neither Spain nor Italy are requiring US travelers with up-to-date vaccines and negative tests to quarantine. :confused:

Filtering for the two countries Casual Yogurt named as possible choices, yes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Casual Yogurt posted:

Any recs for spots to tour late Feb thru til the end of March? I'm leaving my job at the end of Feb and have to be back in California at the end of March so I'm looking for a 4-5 week tour somewhere around the globe. I have a lot of points saved up so the possibilities are endless but I don't really know where to go.

I'm leaning towards Europe: Southern Italy to Barcelona, starting where the weather will be presumably tolerable and will get better as time goes on.

I would like to travel internationally but I could do the East Coast USA: Miami to NYC, the weather will still be trash I think though.

If you want to spend $$$$ I had a great experience with Trek Travel in Tuscany for our honeymoon. They take care of all the logistics and provide you with a Domane 7 to ride.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

bamhand posted:

If you want to spend $$$$ I had a great experience with Trek Travel in Tuscany for our honeymoon. They take care of all the logistics and provide you with a Domane 7 to ride.

Too rich for my blood after getting fired. :) gotta figure out everything on my own.

Travel restrictions are constantly changing which makes it difficult to plan around. I would rather go to the Southern Hemisphere but Australia and NZ are closed to US citizens and I'm questionable about solo touring in South America or South Africa, which points me to EU as I should be able to get in and there is good infrastructure.

I'm thinking I could get an Airbnb at whatever my destination is and negotiate with the host to DHL my empty bike bag from my arrival spot to the destination. I went to Albania last summer with my bike and it was sick but it did get damaged in transit and I'm too scarred to my dream bike via cardboard box this time around.

Casual Yogurt fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 25, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I’ve put my Brompton into the overheads on British Air. It has the telescoping seat post (I’m tall) so by removing the seat (easy to do) and putting into the nylon bag they sell, I get away with that. Rode the bike in London, Brussels, and Amsterdam. The “T-Bag” is big enough for limited tours.

I’m ok with up to 40 miles on it. Prefer the recumbent for longer rides.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bike Friday :hmmyes:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

e.pilot posted:

Bike Friday :hmmyes:

Faster than the Brommie, but not as fast folding (Tikit comes close). And the airline trick? Naw.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bit of a different tour. WWII soldier takes his wife through the sites of his combat experiences a few years after the war.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fR4jdyx

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Bit of a different tour. WWII soldier takes his wife through the sites of his combat experiences a few years after the war.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fR4jdyx

That was really powerful, thanks for sharing.

One of my favorite parts of touring/bikepacking is seeing evidence of an area’s past up close and personal. My last bikepacking trip was in the Canaan Valley of West Virginia, and there’s tons of old rail/mining infrastructure that’s been repurposed into rails to trails paths or has faded into the mountains.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Two Years On A Bike: Vancouver to Patagonia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0i2wUmIak

Great journey beautifully captured

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Two Years On A Bike: Vancouver to Patagonia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0i2wUmIak

Great journey beautifully captured

Oh hell yeah, I know what I'm watching at work tomorrow.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Reposting this in the correct thread:

Has anyone done the trans-Virginia trail DC to Harrisonburg route? I'm trying to gauge how many days we'd need for that with one friend aiming to do it in three days, but I don't think the rest of us would be able to cover that much distance with packs in that time.

The other question a friend had was how clearly labeled is the route? My guess is that it would be hard to get lost on it, but he wasn't so sure.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Anyone have experience with shuttle services for the GAP? Looking to get a ride from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. I tried contacting Bill's Car Service but haven't gotten a response or any kind of confirmation after sending over my details.

Also recommendations for a rear rack for a Journeyman and a Stuntman?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'd be interested to know what you find out, as I'd like to do the GAP one of these days.

I had a bindle rack with a stuff sack on my Wolverine, but it's not a proper rack that's connected via braze ons. I put all my soft stuff in there when I did a lightweight Cumberland-to-Brunswick tour on the towpath. Everything else went in my small front basket.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just called Bill's and was able to get a hold of him. Apparently he's just been swamped past week or so. It's $300 ($280 cash) for 2 people from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. That seems to be about the ball park for all the services I've seen. Another one was $275 and an additional $15 per person.

https://www.billscarservice.com/

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Does anyone have a good recommendation for some clip on aero bars that also have spacers/risers that don't break the bank?

Obviously there are all the options from places like Vision or Profile Design, but they tend to be a couple of hundred dollars + buying spacers separately.

Not looking for anything flash, have a TT bike if I want to get lowand fast, just looking for something to change up positions when touring...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Vagina Jones posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for some clip on aero bars that also have spacers/risers that don't break the bank?

Obviously there are all the options from places like Vision or Profile Design, but they tend to be a couple of hundred dollars + buying spacers separately.

Not looking for anything flash, have a TT bike if I want to get lowand fast, just looking for something to change up positions when touring...

I have a pair of Deda's that included the riser kit. Not sure it was this exact model, but if not something similar https://www.bike24.com/p2248288.htm...oken=anonymized

In my experience, though, it's very rare to need risers for clip-ons on a road bike. The pads already add stack over your handlebar tops. I'm struggling to see a situation where you'd have the drops at a reasonable depth, and then also want risers up above the height they would naturally be at. I guess if you're trying to get a super-relaxed touring position on a slammed stem?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

bicievino posted:

I have a pair of Deda's that included the riser kit. Not sure it was this exact model, but if not something similar https://www.bike24.com/p2248288.htm...oken=anonymized

In my experience, though, it's very rare to need risers for clip-ons on a road bike. The pads already add stack over your handlebar tops. I'm struggling to see a situation where you'd have the drops at a reasonable depth, and then also want risers up above the height they would naturally be at. I guess if you're trying to get a super-relaxed touring position on a slammed stem?

I mean, if you look at any bike for RAAM, you'll see risers for aero bars for their road bikes.

My 600k setup from last week. I'm more using the aero bars for comfort than true aero though.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if the spacers aren't a dealbreaker for you, I bought some Platt brand """"carbon"""" aero bars off amazon for like $50 a while back for the same reason: I wasn't too concerned with efficient aero, just wanted the option to change up positions on long rides

I have no other experience with aero bars, but these do the job and at a pretty unbeatable price point. I would recommend adding some friction tape to the part of your handlebars you decide to place them at tho

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

bicievino posted:

Cheers for the recommendation - Yeah I guess it's not a case of needing the risers, rather just having the option already there to adjust fit. I do a lot of tri/ironman stuff and so am used to a 'slammed' TT bike, but that's also been fit to ride like that and not really for riding in and out of the aero bars - figure having risers will just allow me to dial in a more comfortable rather than aero fit on the gravel bike without causing my hips to rotate forwards too much when going onto the aero bars...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vagina Jones posted:

There’s always a ton of used aero bars on eBay/FB/CL. I like the Airstrykes with a 50mm riser which is super comfy but not particularly aero.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Currently planning an Airbnb tour of Dunkirk, FR ---> Amsterdam this fall. Ferrying over from the UK to Dunkirk and taking a week or so pedaling through Belgium/Holland.

The bike path network looks amazing. I've only cycled around Amsterdam 5 years ago and badly wanted more time to explore the cities/region. Probably only mash 50-60 miles every other day and keep it chill.

Curious if anyone's toured this area. Lots of beer and cheese will be involved.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Im currently heading to Amsterdam from northern Denmark, so coming from the other direction and cant help much with local knowledge :v:

If you want to cover greater distance a day flixbus is is pretty great. They have bike racks in the back.

Ive been sleeping in campgrounds with a tent which is great since theres usually some other people there touring that you can talk to for tips on routing.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I find the bike touring companies can be good resources for trip ideas.

For example, there's a route from Amsterdam to Bruges with itinerary.

https://www.backroads.com/trips/BNB...fmc_id=50928238

Trek Travel has even more details for specific places to stay/eat/see on their trips.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

This is great. Thanks.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Went solo for my first bikepacking trip near Melbourne, Australia up into the hills. 140km and 1.5km of climbing, most of it at the end of the first day. I wasn't prepared for the big hill climb, 10km of around 10% average gradient, ended up hiking for a fair bit of the way because my legs were just gone.

Awesome views and a beautiful campsite though, really makes me want to get back out soon despite it being the depths of winter here and close to snowing up in the hills where I was. I just need to practice hill climbing, my commuting technique is to apply the power and just go hard to the top of the hill, works great for short trips but less so when it's a sustained climb. I did my best to gear down but I still struggled, even when spinning at low speeds, to keep it going.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I'm shooting for a 150 mile trip in WV as the leaves change this fall, route below. It would be nice to have some backup. Anyone have some thoughts of how best to wrangle a posse?

https://www.komoot.com/tour/843173076?ref=aso

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 15, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Warmshowers Facebook group might be a good way to find like-minded cycle tourists.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nyyen posted:

I'm shooting for a 150 mile trip in WV as the leaves change this fall, route below. It would be nice to have some backup. Anyone have some thoughts of how best to wrangle a posse?

https://www.komoot.com/tour/843173076?ref=aso

Ooooh man. I knew that would be a hell of a fun trip when I saw Canaan Valley in there. I mean I’d consider joining you if it coincides with my other bikepacking plans for the fall; I did the Canaan Valley and Forks of Cheat route last year (which at first glance shares some terrain with this one) and had a blast.

I really should post some photos from that trip but sometimes the Awful app makes big photo posts a real bear to handle.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ooooh man. I knew that would be a hell of a fun trip when I saw Canaan Valley in there. I mean I’d consider joining you if it coincides with my other bikepacking plans for the fall; I did the Canaan Valley and Forks of Cheat route last year (which at first glance shares some terrain with this one) and had a blast.

I really should post some photos from that trip but sometimes the Awful app makes big photo posts a real bear to handle.

I actually stitched the two overnighters off bikepackers to make that one, and it includes the Forks of Cheat as day 2 and 3. I'd love if you could throw them into an imgur album or similar. I have done the valley and Dolly Sods backpacking but never on bike.

I'm hoping to have a custom frame delivered in October but I might have to do it on my Wolverine if it gets held up. Either way, hitting the road when the temps drop but before the snow.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
I'm looking to dip my toes into bike touring so that I can eventually join a good friend on trips. This might sound like an insane question, but how does one even find a bike these days? I went to two local shops and one said they didn't really have touring bikes in my price range, and the other said that maybe they'd be able to get their hands on a Kona Sutra SE. There are more stores in the area, but it was a disheartening experience. My budget is $2k (and wouldn't mind spending less than that), and I definitely don't know enough about bikes to feel comfortable purchasing a used one. I have a single speed that I've probably put a couple of thousand miles on commuting over the years, but am otherwise completely new to both cycling and touring. Are there any bikes you'd recommend with my budget?

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 15, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I'm looking to dip my toes into bike touring so that I can eventually join a good friend on trips. This might sound like an insane question, but how does one even find a bike these days? I went to two local shops and one said they didn't really have touring bikes in my price range, and the other said that maybe they'd be able to get their hands on a Kona Sutra SE. My budget is $2k (and wouldn't mind spending less than that), and I definitely don't know enough about bikes to feel comfortable purchasing a used one. I have a single speed that I've probably put a couple of thousand miles on commuting over the years, but am otherwise completely new to both cycling and touring. Are there any bikes you'd recommend with my budget?
First, tell us about the single speed bike you know. What are some things you like about it? What are some things you don't like about it? Have you ever ridden it for multiple hours in a day?

I'm asking you this because there are tons different kinds of great touring bikes out there now, it isn't just the Long Haul Trucker and Trek 520 as easy only go to recommendation anymore.

First I would narrow down a rough ratio of what kind of surface you would like to ride on. A recommendation for primary pavement/dirt road touring will be very different from primary singletrack/back country touring.

e: One more big question is if you're a light or heavy packer.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
If you have a community bike shop in your area a 90's mtb with rack mounts can be a bombproof tourer. There are a lot of the on the used market as well so with a bit of research you can find something that will work well for $500 or so.

As CopperHound said though, a bit more background would help. If you aren't deadset on bike touring I would try before you buy so to speak. Long days in the saddle aren't for everyone so better to get something cheap and build up into overnight and weekend trips before throwing a bunch of money at gear and luggage. You will know pretty quick if it's your thing after a few 30-50+ mile days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Question for the thread. I was looking at getting a computer since I don't trust myself to take the right turn and am always stopping to check my phone. That said, the Garmin eTrex is well regarded and as a general use GPS device is a lot better, but doesn't have turn-by-turn, but also doesn't have any of the performance tracking features which I don't care about and much longer battery life. Is turn-by-turn worth the extra cost and lower battery in anyone's opinion? I run a dyno so I could charge it if I get an additional charge unit, and I normally carry a battery bank on trips longer than two days.