Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The US was absolutely the aggressor in the Indian Wars, the Mexican American War, and the Spanish American War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PookBear posted:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/opa/pr/2007/December/07_crm_967.html

"Justin King, 27, of Chipley, Fla., was convicted following a six-day jury trial in the Northern District of Florida in Pensacola of one count of conspiracy to commit visa fraud, five counts of visa fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit alien smuggling."

My uncle (RIP) was an undocumented seasonal worker in CA his entire life. I live in Las Vegas and know at least two undocumented workers.

I genuinely can't raise my eyebrows too hard on visa crimes, without casting aspersions at my own family. The dramatic reduction in sentence leads me to believe there's something more to the story we won't know.

I genuinely think his videos and opinions are good, and send a positive message, there's not an easy way to frame what he says as problematic or untruthful. I can acknowledge that opinion likely contributes to my perception, but I can't think of something he's said that set off my dogs or marginalizes anyone.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 23, 2022

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Cimber posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Aside from small border war style conflicts I can only think of the American Revolution, the franco-prussian war and maybe the us invasion of Iraq where the aggressor actually won the war.

Colonial conquests? Spanish Civil War? Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia? Six Day War? (Israel attacked first and came away with conquered territory)

Also there's a lot of cases of initial success where the aggressor was only later defeated. E.g. WWII German invasions of Poland and France, or Iraq rolling into Kuwait.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've been following that YouTube channel for a couple of years now, and that video in the PDF is exactly what got my attention (I am not and have never been interested in a militia, though) because it spoke exactly to my frustrations with the US legal system. There plenty he's had to say about a number of issues that I reject almost out of hand, but... Well I guess I gotta unsub and unfollow now.

At first I was pretty sceptical about that pdf, because anyone can just make any old bullshit up. It looks like it might be real, though. I just wish I was better at investigating people to figure out what I needed to know.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
All sorts of historical colonial violent takeovers come to mind, folks. Very aggressive, often successful!

Others while I drink a coffee:
Mexican-American War.
Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait was highly successful. The next war 5 months later, well…
US intervention into Grenada.
US war in Panama.
Spanish-American War.
Various US wars vs Indian nations

E: beaten on several

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Claims of successful Ukraine advances

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1506660525106778120?s=20&t=Ihh9BIY3atFRwz35rBPPzw

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

My uncle (RIP) was an undocumented seasonal worker in CA his entire life. I live in Las Vegas and know at least two undocumented workers.

I genuinely can't raise my eyebrows too hard on visa crimes, without casting aspersions at my own family. The dramatic reduction in sentence leads me to believe there's something more to the story we won't know.

I genuinely think his videos and opinions are good, and send a positive message, there's not an easy way to frame what he says as problematic or untruthful. I can acknowledge that opinion likely contributes to my perception, but I can't think of something he's said that set off my dogs or marginalizes anyone.

He took advantage of people and sold them fraudulent work visas

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How legal do you think the visas my uncle rode on were?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Most (reasonable) people don't place much blame on the workers who are trying to make some money without a visa. People exploiting those workers and profiting off their undocumented status need to get hosed though.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

NightGyr posted:

Colonial conquests? Spanish Civil War? Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia? Six Day War? (Israel attacked first and came away with conquered territory)

Well, wars where the aggressor is so much more powerful than the defender don't really count. The United States attacking the Sioux in a war of conquest isn't exactly sporting.

quote:

Also there's a lot of cases of initial success where the aggressor was only later defeated. E.g. WWII German invasions of Poland and France, or Iraq rolling into Kuwait.

Pretty much. Wars of territorial conquest are basically unwinnable these days. ww1, ww2, Korea? Hell, even the 6 day wars was lost by Israel 5 years layer with part two.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

How legal do you think the visas my uncle rode on were?

Your Uncle was the one being exploited, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He was a coyote from the sounds of it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cimber posted:

Well, wars where the aggressor is so much more powerful than the defender don't really count.

This kind of rhetorical rule makes the whole question pointless, no?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most (reasonable) people don't place much blame on the workers who are trying to make some money without a visa. People exploiting those workers and profiting off their undocumented status need to get hosed though.

Yes, I mean it’s entirely possible to sympathize with the victims and still wanting those who facilitate and profit from it to get their poo poo pushed in.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, I mean it’s entirely possible to sympathize with the victims and still wanting those who facilitate and profit from it to get their poo poo pushed in.

or at the very least, not have them be a "leftist influencer"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

King joined the conspiracy in 2005, and created and mailed fraudulent visa applications seeking more than 1,500 additional aliens.

quote:

The investigation of the case began in late 2005.

quote:

According to the evidence, when the government became aware of the illegal conduct and stopped issuing visas petitioned by the labor contracting entity King and his co-conspirators were using, Eurohouse Holding Corporation, they created a new labor contracting corporation called Woland and continued their fraudulent activity.

Weird name. I know the DOJ and feds love their codenames, wonder what Woland means...

Woland posted:

Woland (Russian: Воланд) is a fictional character in the 1937 novel The Master and Margarita by the Russian (Soviet) author Mikhail Bulgakov. Woland is the mysterious foreigner and professor whose visit to Moscow sets the plot rolling and turns the world upside-down.
Edward Ericson argues that Woland is essentially "the Satan of orthodox (specifically Russian Orthodox) Christian theology [...] He is both a tempter of men and an unwitting instrument of divine justice, a being who owes his existence and power to the very one he opposes."

:kstare:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PookBear posted:

or at the very least, not have them be a "leftist influencer"

:hai::respek::hai:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
In just the past few months, he has rolled out a few gems like "never been tried" and tried to insinuate that the red banner and the homesteader are natural political allies. I mostly ignored that because I've been on board with his Trump, Jan 6, and foreign policy messaging.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

In just the past few months, he has rolled out a few gems like "never been tried" and tried to insinuate that the red banner and the homesteader are natural political allies. I mostly ignored that because I've been on board with his Trump, Jan 6, and foreign policy messaging.

“Never been tried, but plead guilty, served time, and now can’t own guns…but I was never tried.”

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

“Never been tried, but plead guilty, served time, and now can’t own guns…but I was never tried.”

I meant the leftist chestnut about communism, but that's funny, too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Ok so, just to tip my hand, again my uncle did this kinda poo poo.

You gotta buy get some kind of visa to stay here; so you find a phony boss to sign you up or they sign you up for a visa where you're not actually going to work -- but the job doesn't matter because what you're after is this paper.

The visa keeps INS and CBP from bouncing you the second you get pulled over by a rando cop; you got a visa, it checks out in the lookup, cop hands you back the docs and away you go.

In this case it seems they were stuffing the queue for visas at one place to get more people over than the employers actually requested. It doesn't sound particularly heinous, especially when I can easily imagine an "appropriate" context; for instance, if some one was trying to sneak their non-legally recognized spouse in on the same work visa application so the don't have to stay behind or find another coyote.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

He literally said the opposite

quote:

First, I took the case to trial. A plea deal requires you to plead guilty. Second, the sentence itself. In the federal system, everything is governed by the United States Sentencing Commission. The most serious charge is the controlling sentence and everything else is ran concurrently by default. There's literally a chart and guidelines. For my case (see page 258 of first link), the base offense level is 12, plus 9 for having smuggled more than 100 people. The gives you an offense level of 21. Then you go to the chart (second link). Without prior criminal history, you're in category I. 21 levels equals a sentence range of 37 to 46 months. To go outside this range, the judge is supposed to have a very good reason. I was sentenced to 41. Then you're supposed to get 15% off for good behavior and an additional 6 months of taken off as time in a halfway house. I didn't even get all of the standard time off. lol.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Unclear if this is related to the fancy e-warfare box in the pictures yesterday, but it would be super funny if the Ukrainians got the box and the guy who knows how to run the box.
https://twitter.com/gordoncorera/status/1506677579838799877?s=20&t=yLIaWrLfu0UN3S4DhyyIxA

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

He literally said the opposite

I have trouble trusting a guy who handwaves his prison sentence and ends it with a lol. Dude you’re a white make human trafficker, you don’t get to complain about the sentencing guidelines like you’re a victim.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think people may be overreacting to the word "human trafficking" because it autoparses to "sex trafficking"

If it's just forging visas then it's just a mundane gently caress-the-police crime that is ubiquitous in the US. Doing so is very in line with his public leftist policy promotion

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cimber posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Aside from small border war style conflicts I can only think of the ... the franco-prussian war ... where the aggressor actually won the war.

Point of order: In the Franco-Prussian war, the aggressor was very clearly France. Yes, Bismarck manipulated the French to attack, but the French were still very clearly the attacking side. Had they not declared war on Prussia, there would not have been a war.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I have trouble trusting a guy who handwaves his prison sentence and ends it with a lol. Dude you’re a white make human trafficker, you don’t get to complain about the sentencing guidelines like you’re a victim.

According to the conviction, he is not a human trafficker.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

mlmp08 posted:

All sorts of historical colonial violent takeovers come to mind, folks. Very aggressive, often successful!

Others while I drink a coffee:
E: beaten on several

An old Doonesbury strip comes to mind (they’re hell to search for) where Uncle Duke is telling a Latin American ambassador “when has America ever interfered with Latin America?”, then gets a year by year account of every invasion.

The punchline, to Honey (as the list keeps growing): “Bad news, looks like the Ambassador is something of a history buff”

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

The US was absolutely the aggressor in the Indian Wars, the Mexican American War, and the Spanish American War.

Ahem, remember the Maine?

I wouldnt hold someone helping traffic people into the United States against them, unless they did so in furtherance of some kind of illegal and abusive operation here in the USA. We should go back to open borders.

P. S. gently caress the DoJ

P. P. S. However for the crime of being a youtube celebrity - 50 lashes

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 23, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

M_Gargantua posted:

I think people may be overreacting to the word "human trafficking" because it autoparses to "sex trafficking"

If it's just forging visas then it's just a mundane gently caress-the-police crime that is ubiquitous in the US. Doing so is very in line with his public leftist policy promotion

Yeah if you read the actual DOJ testimony, he only every filled out paperwork and met with people to keep their visas in the shuffle.

He literally got someone a different gig cus the AC made them sick.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 23, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

In actual Ukraine war news, Israel has banned Russia from purchasing their super cell phone spy software:

https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/03/23/7136484/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm not saying he was the worst person that ever lived, but maybe don't link his videos to support your argument.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah if you read the actual DOJ testimony, he only every filled out paperwork and met with people to keep their visas in the shuffle.

He literally got someone a different gig cus the AC made them sick.

I have to chew on this for a bit. Nothing here is specifically objectionable to me. I need a clearer picture.

PookBear posted:

I'm not saying he was the worst person that ever lived, but maybe don't link his videos to support your argument.

if that transcript is an accurate characterization of his actions, it does nothing to cast a shadow on his character.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Weird name. I know the DOJ and feds love their codenames, wonder what Woland means...

:kstare:

Yeah man because your uncle was the victim of poo poo immigration process this Florida Man has to be an FBI mole. That's why he spent three years in jail, so he could work his way into another cell and break it up, right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ASAPI posted:

In actual Ukraine war news, Israel has banned Russia from purchasing their super cell phone spy software:

Uhh, the translation I'm reading says Israel banned Ukraine from purchasing their super cell phone spy software.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

McGavin posted:

Uhh, the translation I'm reading says Israel banned Ukraine from purchasing their super cell phone spy software.

That's the message I'm getting as well

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahahahahaha
Russia’s going to cause Germany to stop getting gas from them.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1506677652798820358?s=20&t=M8n1zYP_jnFo5HjEwnG57g

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soul Dentist posted:

That's the message I'm getting as well

McGavin posted:

Oops, reading is hard.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the subject of fragging, I’m surprised that during the Trump of execution bonanza that this guy didn’t come up. I figured he would be a poster boy for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Hasan_K._Akbar

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ASAPI posted:

The podcast Darknet Diaries episode 100 has a fantastic explanation of how that spyware works and how it has been abused to target activists and aid oligarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
This page has been an amazing example of whyleftwingplansfail.txt

The youtuber who articulates points 98% in line with my views? Well he did something in the past which may not be ideal. Or possibly not. But there's a chance so gently caress HIM FOREVER I WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT SHITHEEL.

It's the same tired old crap that there's nothing a leftist hates more than the wrong kind of leftist. See also: Robert Evans.