Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Filling your Tesla with petrol seems like an expensive mistake either way

lol after all that did he really never have a Tesla in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oh dear me posted:

I am a lark and all clock manipulation is an unnatural evil, the sun should be overhead at noon, as is the whole point of noon :c00lbutt:

Technically its never overhead for us as it will only be overhead at noon on the equator. Rest of us get arcs of differing height

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

domhal posted:

So: a tank of petrol is ~£2 cheaper and £300 extra annually for everyone paying national insurance?

It's only £89 a year if you're on £20k pa. If you spend over £2000 a year on petrol you're even in the black!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Technically its never overhead for us as it will only be overhead at noon on the equator. Rest of us get arcs of differing height
You can get Lahaina Noon anywhere in the tropics at the right time of year :sun:

Not this far north though, yes (Boris's fault)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

lol after all that did he really never have a Tesla in the first place?

Another dumb goon gimmick ruined in a single mistake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Having a petrol car for the days when your Tesla has decided to drive itself back to the authorized Tesla service center makes sense.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Another dumb goon gimmick ruined in a single mistake.

I think it's very like a Tesla owner to refill at the pump. If nothing else it gives him an excuse to defend Elon Musk when his car catches fire.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

I like showing American friends how little daylight I get on the shortest day of the year because I don't think they realise how far north northern Scotland is. (The answer is 6 & a half hours. Proper daylight from 9am until 3:30pm baby. You go to work & it's dark, you come home from work & it's already dark. 2 hours less daylight on the shortest day than Seattle gets, poo poo rules)

Don't complain in summer you get daylight till about 11pm.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

That's a reason to complain as well. I want to sleep, not be kept up until midnight then woken up at 5am.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do they not have curtains in Aberdeen? Are there no eye masks?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Everyone gets arcs of differing height. Between the tropics that height is directly overhead two days a year[1], at the equator those are at the equinoxes[2] - the 20th of March is the first one this year, as it happens, which means this time last week the sun at it's highest point over the equator was very slightly south of directly overhead, today it's very slightly north although it's obviously impossible to tell the difference without actual measurement.

[1] The tropics are defined by only having one day of directly overhead sun per year, at the summer solstice for their hemisphere
[2] Literally "Equal night" - the day and night are the same length. The actual day that we get 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark moves around more because of atmospheric refraction, especially this far from the equator where there's a lot more atmosphere to get through

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

You can get Lahaina Noon anywhere in the tropics at the right time of year :sun:

Not this far north though, yes (Boris's fault)

As someone who does some 3D modelling, I always think of this as "Materials Preview Mode".

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d guess as someone who’s building his own house, 99 probably has more than one car. Observation, not disparagement.

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[2] Literally "Equal night" - the day and night are the same length. The actual day that we get 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark moves around more because of atmospheric refraction, especially this far from the equator where there's a lot more atmosphere to get through

Also because the sun is quite big and not just a single point, and for obvious reasons we measure sunrise and sunset based on when the top of it reaches the horizon, the actual length of daylight is always longer than it “should” be.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
right i'm having a posting break, have fun everyone

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see someone has made a collectable minifig of Glinner

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

This is the perfect weather for me. I wish we could have months like this.

It's super nice, would like it a little greener but that means allergies, wonderful sun and temperature though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I went outside to walk the dog and could smell flowers, what the actual.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

As someone who does some 3D modelling, I always think of this as "Materials Preview Mode".

Really does look like someone did fullbright 1 on real life yeah.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Filling your Tesla with petrol seems like an expensive mistake either way

At the least a bit wasteful. It was already a perfectly functional flaming deathtrap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's a safety feature, in the event of an emergency the petrol is dispersed over the surrounding area, deflagrating and consuming all the oxygen like a thermobaric warhead, which puts out the lithium fire before it can spread to other batteries in the vehicle.

Sounds like a Musk idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sprays petrol everywhere and ignites it in order to diffuse liability so you can't prove it was the tesla that started it.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

to be fair, all cars do that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm not, I love long nights AND that it hardly gets dark in summer, when I said poo poo rules I was being sincere! The sun does set but it never gets darker than twilight.

Do they not have curtains in Aberdeen? Are there no eye masks?

Until recently they'd just paint there windows with fresh crude oil each night. The viscosity would keep them covered until morning

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Anecdotal I know but I’m in a pub that’s using free Spotify and between the ads on this and a bunch of ads I’ve seen on the tube, it feels like the Met are on a hardcore PR/recruitment drive burnish their deservedly poo poo reputation. So many BE A COP WE ARE GREAT adverts.

gently caress off!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1506668849139228676

:toot:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Barry Foster posted:

So in that case can we look forward to Blair 2.0 in 2029? (an actual one, not the failed clones like Miliband or Keith?)

Goodie. Definitely worth sticking out the next seven years of tory rule for that

That'll be Andy Burnham then, chilling over in Manchester (handily avoiding Brexit taint), ready to swoop in next year maybe...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Another successful tory economy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Burnham seems alright on transport at least, not wedded to market brainworms.

I think I just got recommended a youtube video to turn me into a tory/starmer.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Burnham seems alright on transport at least, not wedded to market brainworms.

I think I just got recommended a youtube video to turn me into a tory/starmer.

I think the MP with a strong stance on horses was that Labour one no?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Keir Starmer alpaca stance.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Found a tweet that is perfect fodder for this thread, train chat and bullshit takes from some Westminster bubble freak.

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1506626736334770183?t=ebOI6oXDsCSASBGOM-9_Tw&s

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Keir Starmer alpaca stance.

This genuinely looks like it accompanies a headline of "SEASIDE STARE CREEP FINALLY ARRESTED"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Found a tweet that is perfect fodder for this thread, train chat and bullshit takes from some Westminster bubble freak.

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1506626736334770183?t=ebOI6oXDsCSASBGOM-9_Tw&s

HEY. HEY GABRIEL. MAYBE IF PUBLIC TRANSPORT WASN'T DOGSHIT ELSEWHERE THINGS WOULD BE IN EQUILIBRIUM.

Also I live in 78%-stan and I have no car eat poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Leicester had trams like Nottingham and England had train prices like Luxembourg I'd use trains all the loving time. Weekend up to Manchester just to look at a statue of a bee? Sure why not.

As it is maybe there's a reason us provincial people outside London don't use trains.

e: wHy DoNt BrItIsH pEoPlE uSe TrAiNs mr fucken "Was in Number 10 and ran comms at two big UK gov depts."

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 23, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks at good public transit driving car ownership down to 24%

"well obviously the rest of the country doesn't want this"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It wouldn't shock any Londoners that aren't dribbling morons. No-one in London thinks the tube goes to Lincolnshire.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My bill had a leaflet saying that the rebate would be sent to the account I have my direct debit set up with. Literally a cash payment for every property you own, the Tory-est possible stimulus package.

Pretty sure you only pay council tax on your primary residence.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wintertime is great. We should control the axial tilt, rotation, and orbital speed of the Earth to ensure short days all year round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ms Adequate posted:

Wintertime is great. We should control the axial tilt, rotation, and orbital speed of the Earth to ensure short days all year round.

Or to just yeet the whole thing into the sun.