Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have the Minidsp SHD and I'm amazed that very few people other than Minidsp are making a DSP/DAC product like it. Instead of adding a powerful parametric eq and room correction to their audibly transparent DAC like MiniDSP, the other DAC makers like Topping, SMSL, Gustard etc are all chasing inaudible improvements in SINAD. I feel like for a audio system my best purchases were decent speakers/headphones followed by the DSP/DAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's a huge jump in software and customer support to have wide open DSP features. If you are a manufacturer of small amplifiers and pretty decent at that, I can see why you would want to avoid that huge headache. It does seem like a pretty good idea though.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It’s like wearing headphones with perfect bass you can feel.
Speaking of which, the other day I stuck an absolutely garbage earbud into a piece of heat shrink tube and then slid the other end on my mic and measured them. After correcting they actually sound pretty good as long as you ignore the completely destroyed noise floor and equivalent of like 70db at max power.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lowclock posted:

Speaking of which, the other day I stuck an absolutely garbage earbud into a piece of heat shrink tube and then slid the other end on my mic and measured them. After correcting they actually sound pretty good as long as you ignore the completely destroyed noise floor and equivalent of like 70db at max power.

But enough about your sex life

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

But enough about your sex life
Most satisfying 6mm you'll ever have.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 1, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You can spend a billion dollars on exotic speakers that supposedly portray music as it's supposed to be and then chuck them in a completely unsuitable room and they'll sound like poo poo.

You can also spend a lot less cash, get some decent speakers, put them in a mediocre room throw some EQ/RTA/room correction at them and have an exceptionally buttery aural experience that makes you smile every time you listen to something.

But some people just like spending big money to spend big money.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I think companies throwing together a handful of genre-stereotype EQ curves and calling it "DSP" has harmed a lot of people's perception of what you can really do with it. Some have gotten a little closer with naming them after environments, but inevitably they do something weird like add karaoke machine reverb and screw it all up.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Lowclock posted:

I think companies throwing together a handful of genre-stereotype EQ curves and calling it "DSP" has harmed a lot of people's perception of what you can really do with it. Some have gotten a little closer with naming them after environments, but inevitably they do something weird like add karaoke machine reverb and screw it all up.
This is giving me flashbacks of my mid 90s JVC receiver that had no real eq, but had settings like "dance hall" "church" and "symphony hall," all of which made the music sound like complete rear end.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

stealie72 posted:

This is giving me flashbacks of my mid 90s JVC receiver that had no real eq, but had settings like "dance hall" "church" and "symphony hall," all of which made the music sound like complete rear end.

Do not fear, you can still experience this with $2K modern receivers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

stealie72 posted:

I bought this puppy when I was young and dumb, because it was bassy as hell, had enormous woofer excursion, and looked rad. It had all sorts of 'genre' settings as well as spaces, I think, and they all sounded like garbage. Also the needle 'VU meters' basically did not work, lmao.

Now it's in my Mom's photo studio, and I'm pretty sure it still works though the CD tray motors burnt out long ago. I kind of want it back because it's so ridiculous.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sometimes just for fun I’ll watch speech heavy YouTube videos using the “concert hall” et al processing turned on with my yamaha av receiver. If you close your eyes it actually sounds like im listening to a dude speak on a stage, but it usually does make music sound terrible

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You audiophiles might appreciate this ~50 year old slide of my fathers I stumbled across.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm liking the size of that driver hole.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I picked up a set of magnapans the other day for a good deal.

It lead me down a deep dark youtube rabbit hole though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXErcOEdTuI

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

that guy looks like he's got at least 1 used car worth of cables there.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Well, he can't afford pants that fit, a real shirt, or a haircut, so that tracks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I have a pair of MMG-Ws not being used gathering dust if you wanna add a couple channels.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Wasabi the J posted:

I have a pair of MMG-Ws not being used gathering dust if you wanna add a couple channels.

I think I've already got them sold. They sound great with the Parasound I have, but I wouldn't switch them out for my La Scalas or my antiquated 1950s JBLs.

I just like buying weird stuff from my local tech donation non profit place. It funds stem classes and stuff.

They are just the SMGa, but it cracked me up that they lady donated them because they were too big.
The fuses were also blown, so that might have been part of it.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Man, I could even feel the "washed out Sonic" recorded through a GoPro. It really opens up the soundstage on my cell phone speaker. Can't help but think the overall presence would be helped with some cable risers tho.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Need charged audiophile Crystal

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

"Let me show you what happens when we add subs to this: it's going to reinforce the bass for sure" :hmmyes:

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
I'm evaluating the performance of thousands of dollars worth of gear and hours of research through iphone speakers after a youtube encode...

Hmm. Yes... The chestiness is better.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Never want to hear someone say "sonics" like that again.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
The perspective in this video is so confusing. Like the forced-perspective tricks they used int he LOTR movies to make the hobbits look smaller.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 22, 2022

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Does anyone have a copy of *the graph* saved anywhere? It was posted on the first few pages but tinypic no longer has it :(

Edit: found it!

https://i.imgur.com/FdD9Dig.jpg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This one is my new favorite

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

What the gently caress even was that for

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Woof

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Honk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

...splash?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

an AOL chatroom posted:

Does anyone have a copy of *the graph* saved anywhere? It was posted on the first few pages but tinypic no longer has it :(

Edit: found it!

https://i.imgur.com/FdD9Dig.jpg

Oh I was looking for this recently, thank you!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Mr. Mercury posted:

What the gently caress even was that for

It appears to be a crude representation of a wavelet analysis, which is frequency versus amplitude versus time.

In theory, a perfect representation of an impulse would be a straight vertical red line down the middle of a ‘cone’ with the apex at the top.

This Christmas coloured fire by some photoshop ‘artist’ is meant to illustrate poor acoustic or filter design on a speaker which creates problems like lobes or ringing artefacts. Mackie were claiming these are magically fixed using an FIR filter, and we get the joy of seeing the subjective explanations for the improvements.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

qirex posted:

This one is my new favorite

time travel

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hi, I know little about this subject but am glad to see you're still about. What has the covid situation done to business for you up until this point?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hi, I know little about this subject but am glad to see you're still about. What has the covid situation done to business for you up until this point?

About £2mil lost over two years, rescued by having half decent accounts and getting some money off the government. We should be fine, but only just.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

About £2mil lost over two years, rescued by having half decent accounts and getting some money off the government. We should be fine, but only just.

Oof, that's a not insignificant amount of coin to be losing out on. Glad you're still with us though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31077-putting-weight-on-components/

I was looking for some info on old audiophile gear having metal weights inside and the whole heavier = better quality thing that I remember from childhood. I then found the above link to a short thread about weights to put on your kit and a bit of manufacturers doing the internal weights thing themselves.

quote:

To be honest, it has been ten plus years since I really did much comparison, but adding weight to the top of my CD player, showed in a fair amount more detail and air. Adding some weight to my integrated wasn't as obvious of an improvement, but it did help a tiny bit in the upper ranges.

At that point, I had my Mom make me some nice, presentable bags which I stuffed with sand and lead, and I just throw them on any components I have, it is cheap and easy.

I do like this one though, if only because it fits with rich audiophiles sipping the good poo poo

quote:

an excellent test for vibration degradation of equipment performance is to set a glass of single malt scotch on the component at issue

gaze at the surface during various passages to see if there is a ripple in what should be still water (or mostly water)

if you see ripples, drain the glass and try again

repeat this procedure until you no longer see any ripples and everything sounds really fine

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I used to put a hacky sack on top of my portable CD player lid because the motor would make it vibrate and rattle, but lol at that adding anything to the sound coming over the wires.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dude it ads more air, didn't you read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The heavier = better thing extends to bad judges of product quality as well, like how Beats used to put metal blocks in their headphones to hide how light they were because if your consumer product is light people think its hiding something.