Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm waiting for the moment when they sell the enshroud outfit on the mogstation

first glamour to sell 1 trillion copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Something that is confusing me on fishing, most guides to catch specific fish mention the tug it requires, but how helpful is that since I have to catch if I get a tug right? or else I just waste the bait. Is there a way to ignore a tug? or are people just letting themselves have to recast to save on GP?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Twibbit posted:

Something that is confusing me on fishing, most guides to catch specific fish mention the tug it requires, but how helpful is that since I have to catch if I get a tug right? or else I just waste the bait. Is there a way to ignore a tug? or are people just letting themselves have to recast to save on GP?

Tugs are mostly important for Patience and its associated skills Powerful Hookset and Precision Hookset

Powerful Hookset is used on all medium tug (!!) fish, and Precision Hookset is used on small tug (!) fish. I think most big tugs (!!!) use Powerful but there's a few that want Precision just to be annoying?

Also, both Hooksets cost GP to use, so if you get the wrong kind of tug you can just intentionally let the fish go by either using the standard Hook (which will probably miss but costs 0GP) or just waiting it out in order to save a little GP. You do lose the bait, but that's not as big of a deal

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Twibbit posted:

You lose the bait if you get the wrong fish anyway. The bait is a sunk cost (literally) when you throw your line.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJ posted:

I feel like the reaper quest line should have talked more about what the deal is with the familiar. They spend the entire time talking about how it’s bad to let the voidsent take control of your body then the reward for beating it is to immediately start letting the voidsent take over your body. The bad guy was ok but he felt a bit discount Zenos.

You do not in fact let the Voidsent take over your body that is not what Enshroud does. Also the villain is nothing like Zenos.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

finished lvlling up blm to 90 and i cant stop seeing this

Edit: Oh and to add some content

I figured out how to quickly solo final coil turn 4 as an unsynched lvl 90 SMN. This probably works with some other bursty jobs and this will also be of interest to people who run catbook duties in small unsynched parties.

Step 1: Reduce Bahamut's hp no lower than to 52%. Hang onto your burst phase for later. So for SMN do not summon bahamut
Step 2: Wait for the cast "Flatten"
Step 3: As soon as you see "Flatten" begin to cast, being bursting bahamut down.

You have slightly longer than the duration of two castbars, "Flatten" and "Gigaflare", to bring Bahamut down to 0. This is consistently achievable with a lvl 90 bahamut phase.

I'm sure I'm not the first to figure this out and it's nothing game changing but it helped me do my catbook with less waiting around :kiddo:

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 23, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lord_Magmar posted:

You do not in fact let the Voidsent take over your body that is not what Enshroud does. Also the villain is nothing like Zenos.

The tooltip says you offer your body as a vessel to your avatar. It certainly sounds like you’re giving it your body.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJ posted:

The tooltip says you offer your body as a vessel to your avatar. It certainly sounds like you’re giving it your body.

Your Avatar is not the Voidsent, it is a physical manifestation of your contract with the Voidsent which you use to send Aether to them and in turn draw on their power.

This is in fact explained in the questline. The problem happens when you directly interface with the Voidsent without the Avatar as the go-between.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I keep meaning to ask, is there a logic behind how weirdly specific this achievement is? The pre-Stormblood ones just say "high-end duty" and count normal trials and raids. Not sure why this goes out of its way to exclude them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is in fact explained in the questline.

CJ at it again

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bruceski posted:

I keep meaning to ask, is there a logic behind how weirdly specific this achievement is? The pre-Stormblood ones just say "high-end duty" and count normal trials and raids. Not sure why this goes out of its way to exclude them.

They still count normal raids, or at least the Gunbreaker ones do. I ran Sigmascape 1.0 as Gunbreaker a few times the other day for the Bozja relic quest, and it counted towards the achievement.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

W.T. Fits posted:

They still count normal raids, or at least the Gunbreaker ones do. I ran Sigmascape 1.0 as Gunbreaker a few times the other day for the Bozja relic quest, and it counted towards the achievement.

Huh, so it does.

I just did it. 9:57 to solo Sigma 1.0 but yeah, that gave me a point toward Tank You GNB. Go figure.

I assume it's so specific to prevent the kind of solo spam from the "Somebody's Gotta Do It" achievements from ARR, where it ended up just being 200 Garuda Ex unsynched, but it's interesting to see normal raids count.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Twibbit posted:

You ignore the tug by ignoring the tug. :--)

Surface Slap is a super important buff that lets you prevent a given type of fish being hooked, until your next catch; this often lets you drastically increase the odds of catching your target fish. If you reel in a random bite you'll lose that buff, but if you let every wrong bite go you can maintain it until you get the bite you're looking for.

Same for the prize catch buff, but that's generally far less crucial than surface slap which is a total game changer for a lot of rare fish.

Also aside from that, hooking the fish takes longer than letting it go (especially for medium or big tugs), and on some fish you really want to get every possible cast in during the limited window.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 24, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao CJ you dumbass just do your class quests

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Runa posted:

lmao CJ you dumbass just do your class quests

He's too busy following the drat train.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lord_Magmar posted:

Your Avatar is not the Voidsent, it is a physical manifestation of your contract with the Voidsent which you use to send Aether to them and in turn draw on their power.

This is in fact explained in the questline. The problem happens when you directly interface with the Voidsent without the Avatar as the go-between.

They do mention that, but it's heavily implied that enshroud is what caused Orcus to take over the Reaper's body. His model is the same as Enshroud, and there's no mention of Enshroud being a thing beforehand.

If they treated Enshroud as a baseline thing that all Reapers do, then give you a story about how you shouldn't lose control that would be fine, but instead they give you this story about how foolish and dangerous it is to give more of yourself to the voidsent, then afterwards you start giving more of yourself to the voidsent. From what i remember you don't learn a trick from defeating Orcus that makes Enshroud safe. You just decide it would be sick as heck to start doing the same thing.

I think part of it is they don't want to make class quests that are heavily tied into abilities and assume you unlock them at a certain level because it makes balancing classes a pain in the future.

I also think it would be nice to go back to having 2 arcs of class quests rather than 1. I think 2 arcs works well, and there would still be a limit to it so they aren't making 14 or more arcs per expansion.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Scholasticate Arc concludes, for better or worse, in the Heavensward LP

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

:laffo: I just clicked through my open tabs and didn't realize I wasn't in a GTA one for a second when the post above yours mentioned CJ.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJ posted:

They do mention that, but it's heavily implied that enshroud is what caused Orcus to take over the Reaper's body. His model is the same as Enshroud, and there's no mention of Enshroud being a thing beforehand.

If they treated Enshroud as a baseline thing that all Reapers do, then give you a story about how you shouldn't lose control that would be fine, but instead they give you this story about how foolish and dangerous it is to give more of yourself to the voidsent, then afterwards you start giving more of yourself to the voidsent. From what i remember you don't learn a trick from defeating Orcus that makes Enshroud safe. You just decide it would be sick as heck to start doing the same thing.

I think part of it is they don't want to make class quests that are heavily tied into abilities and assume you unlock them at a certain level because it makes balancing classes a pain in the future.

I also think it would be nice to go back to having 2 arcs of class quests rather than 1. I think 2 arcs works well, and there would still be a limit to it so they aren't making 14 or more arcs per expansion.

You don't even do the class quests that do exist, why would you want more class quest arcs. Anyway, you do learn enshroud in that fight because you learn the safe way to do it from fighting a guy who did it wrong.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lord_Magmar posted:

You don't even do the class quests that do exist, why would you want more class quest arcs. Anyway, you do learn enshroud in that fight because you learn the safe way to do it from fighting a guy who did it wrong.

I do most of the class quests. The only ones i haven't done are the Stormblood ones for a few classes who i levelled through roulettes but don't really play.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I mean, I did all the Reaper job quests and watched every scene, and I also forgot all about this avatar go-between stuff….

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I mean, I did all the Reaper job quests and watched every scene, and I also forgot all about this avatar go-between stuff….

It's mentioned off hand in the first scene where you get the job stone, but they don't make it very clear so it's not surprising if people miss it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

1. The situation with Orcus and his host isn't just "Enshroud makes your soul explode"; it took years and involved extenuating circumstances, to say the least. It's not really possible to generalize from it.

2. Even if we assume Enshroud is especially dangerous, mastering dangerous/corruptive power and using it for good is one of the WoL's things! See also: Dark Knight, Warrior, Black Mage, probably Red Mage but I've only played that to 60 so far, the part of Dragoon where you can channel and master Nidhogg's power without having to have undergone Estinien Wyrmblood's Bogus Journey, all sorts of stuff in the MSQ... "this is a dangerous power, but you have the strength to handle it" is not exactly a stretch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I've had the FATE music stuck in my head since the weekend Jesus Christ. You often just hear the first bit and don't get to the end or loop point, which is a recipe for ear worms.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Heran Bago posted:

I've had the FATE music stuck in my head since the weekend Jesus Christ. You often just hear the first bit and don't get to the end or loop point, which is a recipe for ear worms.

It's real good and why I just do boss FATEs just to do them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

1. The situation with Orcus and his host isn't just "Enshroud makes your soul explode"; it took years and involved extenuating circumstances, to say the least. It's not really possible to generalize from it.

2. Even if we assume Enshroud is especially dangerous, mastering dangerous/corruptive power and using it for good is one of the WoL's things! See also: Dark Knight, Warrior, Black Mage, probably Red Mage but I've only played that to 60 so far, the part of Dragoon where you can channel and master Nidhogg's power without having to have undergone Estinien Wyrmblood's Bogus Journey, all sorts of stuff in the MSQ... "this is a dangerous power, but you have the strength to handle it" is not exactly a stretch.

Honestly anyone trying to take over the WoL has to deal with the like six people living rent free There as is.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly anyone trying to take over the WoL has to deal with the like six people living rent free There as is.

I love that in the Reaper quest line you're told "wow your soul must be super juicy and delicious" and you can just respond "yeah I get that a lot..."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was a little disappointed when Orcus showed up with maximum 90s edginess proclaiming he was gonna eat my soul, and I didn't get the opportunity to just roll my eyes and start rattling off a list of way stronger voidsent whose assess I had already kicked.

Buddy I beat up the Cloud of Darkness in her own house, who the hell are you.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I was a little disappointed when Orcus showed up with maximum 90s edginess proclaiming he was gonna eat my soul, and I didn't get the opportunity to just roll my eyes and start rattling off a list of way stronger voidsent whose assess I had already kicked.

I'm only just starting Stormblood, but so far I've canonically:

Destroyed an Allegan superweapon
Killed the Allegan emperor
Beat the poo poo out of the Cloud of Darkness
Whooped Thordan and literally put the fear of god in him before he died.
Dumpstered three great wyrms (I'm counting Midgardsormr) and inflicted what could be considered Final Death on one of them (Nidhogg)
Run roughshod over more primals than I really care to remember.
Embarrassed mirror universe me and his stupid goatee.
Cooked the Sultana a very nice dinner.

So like, I'm pretty sure whoever the next megalomaniacal anime villain is needs to get on a loving waiting list and should probably not even bother. Also I'm probably forgetting some stuff. The WoL has some DBZ-levels of power creep going on and I still have 3 expansions to go.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If FF14 were any other genre but an MMO I think the WoL would have been put out to pasture by now, it's going to be harder and harder to make credible threats when we can see the absurd number of bodies behind them at this point

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

At least the storyline does show that by the end you are treated like a walking tactical nuke.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sure the WoL is a human tactical nuke but what are they gonna do when one really determined guy with a katana shows up?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No Dignity posted:

If FF14 were any other genre but an MMO I think the WoL would have been put out to pasture by now, it's going to be harder and harder to make credible threats when we can see the absurd number of bodies behind them at this point

They should just lean into it and make the WoL increasingly incredulous as the various who's line up for their rear end beatings.

Or if they want something grimdark, a storyline where the powers that be start feeling threatened by the WoL's godlike status and pull some shenanigans. Kinda like in Ace Combat 7's DLC where the government starts throwing you into ludicrous situations in an attempt to discredit Trigger/get him killed because he's killed something like half the enemy air force, basically is carrying the whole war on his shoulders, and living legends are liabilities.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Thundarr posted:

To be fair, that was the equivalent of trying to fight a MMA fighter at 3am; you’re probably going to get a couple good licks in, but when Cloud of Darkness fully woke up and was like “okay what the gently caress” we had to haul rear end to get out of her house and we never went back since

We did wreck Diablos three separate times

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 24, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ImpAtom posted:

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1406692851296075776?s=20&t=KJqaMu9I0ckh5CelRdapSQ

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SettingSun posted:

Sure the WoL is a human tactical nuke but what are they gonna do when one really determined guy with a katana shows up?

Kill them

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Thundarr posted:

ya, but that emote tho

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No Dignity posted:

Just let them have fun.

I'm still mad the sky pirate venture barely begins before they trip over some world ending threat. Who keeps leaving these things laying around anyway? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SettingSun posted:

This is a disengenuous description of the situation.