Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oolb posted:

or the entire character of Gus which is partly due to the character reading differently due to the actor's physical changes since Breaking Bad

Lol this is such horse poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Last Chance posted:

Lol this is such horse poo poo

In Breaking Bad, he's a skinny younger than he looks nerd, in Better Call Saul he looks like he could body slam you plus he's a grandpa. I find his gut extremely distracting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you thought that was bad, check out the Mexican cartel leader!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

idk my eyes glazed over at "giancarlo eposito is a bad actor" and i haven't read the rest

giancarlo eposito is a bad actor? There are some... inconsistencies in your story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOmp3HpAGgM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gus is there because he needs to be, and that's it (and I'm fine with it). He was a formidable nemesis in BrBa, but since this is a prequel that's covering Mike's story, he (Mike) is very much intertwined with LPH, Gus, and by extension, Madrigal.

You'd have literally everyone questioning where the hell Gus was, since he was Mike's boss until the end. He's in by necessity, and that's fine, given the situation.

Edit: Oh, also, there's literally everything involving the Salamancas. If Giancarlo Esposito had said no to being in BCS, I can't quite picture how Mike and Hector's whole thing would've gone down.

Would've been nice to see Mike put him in that chair, though.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 21, 2022

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Oolb posted:

You could probably fit the entire content of this show into one or two seasons and go watch some old movies they rip the cinematography off from

If it's a crime to enjoy borrowing from Vittorio Storaro or Sven Nykvist then please put me in handcuffs.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Oolb posted:

In Breaking Bad, he's a skinny younger than he looks nerd, in Better Call Saul he looks like he could body slam you plus he's a grandpa. I find his gut extremely distracting.

lmao

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i will never forgive gus for making lyle do all that work just to ruin it with some sort of frozen chicken delivery system he was working on

it makes no sense, they sell by the piece not by the whole bird

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I think the writing of Gus has diminished a bit in that he doesn't really seem to be doing the "pleasant chicken man, fear is not an effective motivator" thing much any more and his characterization lost some of the subtlety. Not entirely, and I wouldn't say it drags the whole show down, but I think the writing is trying too hard, I guess? And Giancarlo Esposito seems to be playing up what were some of the more popular aspects of the character like the growly scary intimidating stuff, which leads to that feeling exaggerated and a little silly to me rather than shocking and tense like it was in BB.

He is 100% necessary to be there, though, and who the hell cares about the "physical changes"? I don't think Giancarlo Esposito being a little older really changes things, especially when we've got Mike running around playing Desert Sniper at 75 and it's still entertaining as hell.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

why haven't vince gilligan and peter gould ventured to the forbidden lands to find the fountain of youth for their actors

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
BCS has made Gus feel a lot smaller and pettier to me. Now I think of him as someone who would glower at Gale, his intended ace meth cook, for no good reason. He's someone who does a monologue about how he tortured a small animal as a kid, and thinks that shows how cool and badass he is. I'd attribute that the writing more than the actor, but it's hard to say how they could've expanded Gus in Better Call Saul without tripping in some way when a lot of it was living in the audience's head.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I think Gus should be in the show, but I could also have done without knowing too much about him. Like Boba Fett being expanded made the character less interesting. Same goes for Gus, but not to the extent of Boba, in that Gus is still decent to watch.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Goofs and gaffes: Despite chronologically taking place before Breaking Bad, many of the characters making a reappearance in Better Call Saul look older than they did in the original series.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
There are ways to compensate for it though. For example, the film students Jimmy hires are all like 30 or 40 irl. Or to make it more stylized like a comic where everyone is drawn with heavy wrinkles. Which they do, to some degree. On reflection, Gus' portrayal may actually be ok if he's really just a hollow suit a total ghoul. That said I do find his acting overdone. also Stacey Ehrmantraut is evil

Oolb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 22, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I think the writing of Gus has diminished a bit in that he doesn't really seem to be doing the "pleasant chicken man, fear is not an effective motivator" thing much any more and his characterization lost some of the subtlety. Not entirely, and I wouldn't say it drags the whole show down, but I think the writing is trying too hard, I guess? And Giancarlo Esposito seems to be playing up what were some of the more popular aspects of the character like the growly scary intimidating stuff, which leads to that feeling exaggerated and a little silly to me rather than shocking and tense like it was in BB.

He is 100% necessary to be there, though, and who the hell cares about the "physical changes"? I don't think Giancarlo Esposito being a little older really changes things, especially when we've got Mike running around playing Desert Sniper at 75 and it's still entertaining as hell.

I sort of attribute it to the fact that, like Mike, he's not quite Gus as we came to know him in BB. Not quite yet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm also not a fan of BCS Gus, but him being mobbier and a more in-your-face bad guy is pretty clearly a deliberate writing choice. He has yet to learn that fear is not the best motivator, and I think he even explicitly says he thinks fear is just peaches when it comes to keeping volatile elements in line, despite Mike's protests.

His whole "put a gun to the head of Nacho's dad to have an insider on the Salamanca side" gambit is gonna blow up spectacularly in his face, and lead directly to the more cautious Gus, and is probably also when Mike is cemented as his right-hand man. This is being pretty clearly set up.

imho if they wanted to flesh out Gus as a character, they need to give us something on his relationship with Gale.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Binge watching the entire series in preparation for the finale. Somehow the German construction storyline and Huel letter writing escapade is more tedious watching it in one sitting. I enjoyed it more waiting a week between eps.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't mind gus being in BCS but the entire thing has added basically nothing for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

imho if they wanted to flesh out Gus as a character, they need to give us something on his relationship with Gale.

I don't fully agree with the sentiment here, but I would really like to see more of Gale before the series shutters.

Also Lydia. Laura Fraser was excellent on Breaking Bad, but that show didn't have the real estate to capitalise on that performance. I'm hoping we get to see more of her here.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Scholtz posted:

Goofs and gaffes: Despite chronologically taking place before Breaking Bad, many of the characters making a reappearance in Better Call Saul look older than they did in the original series.
some widescreen monitors you see in BCS are anachronistic. immersion ruined.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Mark Proksch better be back for one last caper

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

He got both Flanderized and humanized. His defining traits have been exaggerated while at the same time he is more of a human being instead of a force of nature. I get why they did both but doing both really stretches the character into a weird shape.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moist turtleneck posted:

i will never forgive gus for making lyle do all that work just to ruin it with some sort of frozen chicken delivery system he was working on

it makes no sense, they sell by the piece not by the whole bird

The trucks deliver birds to the restaurants

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I just remembered that Gale talked Gus into making Walt his boss who then gets him fired and killed lol.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I just remembered that Gale talked Gus into making Walt his boss who then gets him fired and killed lol.

And broke his heart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RVwaHkkPyw

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

goddamn lol i forgot about this. poor, poor gale

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Did Erin Brill ever tell Cliff Main "hey, the rear end in a top hat you hate got disbarred for committing felony fraud against his brother whom we all love, and now he's asking me to star in a bizarre skit-presentation about how he defrauded our clients in order to derail our case"?

Seems unrealistic that Cliff wouldn't hear about this stuff, but if he heard about it, he'd probably take it to the ethics board and keep Jimmy from getting reinstated, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The one thing that I can never really wrap my head around is how Jimmy/Saul/literally any lawyer can get so interested and/or wrapped up in a given case when it all seems like an overwhelming hassle.

Obviously, lawyers are lawyers to do what they do, but holy poo poo, even the magic man montage where he drums up business and offers everyone a cell phone, how he provides affordable defense, how he schemes up so many schemes... It all seems like it'd be a massive pain in the rear end to deal with.

Chuck and Howard make more sense. Even Kim's work with MV seems to be a way better gig. What is it about over-delivering at a discount that Jimmy is drawn to?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
he’s a hustler

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

he’s a hustler

Yeah, I get that. Season 1 was entirely about that, and it's now morphed into the legal world full stop. And I get the whole 'it makes for great tv' aspect from the writing.

But goddamn, how anyone would ever have the patience for any of that is beyond me.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Everything has to be a hustle. He could have just told those old ladies the truth instead of faking a hot mic, but he just has to do everything as a con, even when it's doing good things

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

he might be working hard at various points, but he is avoiding the work he's supposed to be doing, which in jimmy's grift addicted mind always adds up in his favor even if he's ostensibly making things harder for himself

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
He's not over-delivering. He works through his stack of cases with the prosecutor in like a minute each.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Roman posted:

Everything has to be a hustle. He could have just told those old ladies the truth instead of faking a hot mic, but he just has to do everything as a con, even when it's doing good things

I don't think so. You might not think it but retirement communities are basically the most toxic places on earth, it's all the drama of highschool except the people already have decades of grudges built up, are in a constant state of low level pain, are daily forced to confront their mortality and degradation of their physical and mental faculties. Give them a target and they'll relentlessly bully them to take out all that anger, if Jimmy had just explained what was up they would just talk themselves back into hating her somehow. Jimmy needed to give them someone else to gate instead

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think so. You might not think it but retirement communities are basically the most toxic places on earth, it's all the drama of highschool except the people already have decades of grudges built up, are in a constant state of low level pain, are daily forced to confront their mortality and degradation of their physical and mental faculties. Give them a target and they'll relentlessly bully them to take out all that anger, if Jimmy had just explained what was up they would just talk themselves back into hating her somehow. Jimmy needed to give them someone else to gate instead

They would probably just think he was pretending it was his fault to protect her because he was such a nice young man.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
pre pandemic there was a retirement home that would do all you can drink brunches, basically as a way to raise money. seeing the old people being terrible to each other while getting wasted was a great dinner + show combo.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

what isn't like high school?

Jimmy's treatment of senior citizens is so funny. Like, would that really work? At a certain age do you view being patronized as respect?

Oolb fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 24, 2022

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Oolb posted:

Jimmy's treatment of senior citizens is so funny. Like, would that really work? At a certain age do you view being patronized as respect?

Consider that Jimmy caught wind of the Sandpiper grift scheme from just sitting and listening to a prospective client gripe. Nobody else gives enough of a poo poo to talk to most of his clients for any length of time; if they were, that scheme would not have flown under the radar as long as it did. This makes it easy for him to be more interesting than anything else going on in their life that day.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oolb posted:

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oolb posted:

Old people are stupid OP.