Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Izuku won the sports race with zero power use remember. Just his own physicality, and an absolutely nutty plan to fly via explosions.

There’s also an implication that Toga got training from somewhere between her breakdown and the current time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Villains got fit by playing Ring Fit Adventure

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Curious openly says "wow why are you so good at fighting given you were a non hero high schooler". So I'm guessing there's a reason.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Curious openly says "wow why are you so good at fighting given you were a non hero high schooler". So I'm guessing there's a reason.

....it isn't going to be an evolution of her ability that she obtains, like the skills of the people she transforms into, is it?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Toga took one self-defense course in Middle School and did really well.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Blood is really healthy and good for you.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think it's probably just practical experience. If she had her first kill when she was 13-14 she's been dodging/fighting cops and heroes for years, basically the villain equivalent to a 3-year hero course. The reason she's still around is that she managed to stay a step ahead. Theres tons of newbie villains that just get bodied by the first hero they come across.

Like in the Curious fight after she flips out she starts telling herself to keep moving so she doesn't get caught over and over. It's probably something she's done in the past that allowed her to get this far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alopex posted:

Thank you, Vicar Laurence. I tell you, I will not forget our adage.

(I suppose I could have gone for a more Jump-relevant reference as well, but no-one cares about Our Blood Oath, and the other obvious well is one I've been back to quite often enough.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alopex posted:

Swedish people turn it into brownies and eat it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Most people just make it into sausage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't that just the baseline for most people in this manga though? Like, why is Stain so incredibly agile, his Quirk doesn't have anything to do with that. Or Eraserhead. Or Shigaraki during the USJ training facility.

If you're gonna be a regular fighter in this manga I think you're just a Dragon Ball character before after images regularly become a thing. So like, everyone's Mercenary Tao before we got to all these season 9 power boosts.

Stain and Eraserhead are both experienced fighters who did a ton of training. Shigaraki being ridiculously fast was never really explained.

It's weird because there are a lot of people who are regular fighters who aren't presented as notably super fast and agile, like most of 1A, Midnight, Endeavor, Best Jeanist, etc. The only heroes we see moving like Toga are people who have speed powers like All Might/Deku/Gran Torino/Mirio, or trained combatants like Edgeshot(who is a literal ninja) and Eraserhead.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean people are just built different in this series.

Endeavor has no physical power boosts but look at all the poo poo he went through in the Hi-End Nomu fight.

Man got pushed through an entire building and shrugged it off.

Maybe Toga and Shiragaki just shoved all their DEF into SPD.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
That extra bone in the pinky toe does a lot of work for quirked up folks, that’s why they can demonstrate real ultimate power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The extra pinky toe will lead to a tie in with Hajime no Ippo where Deku has to learn how to punch trees harder.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Isn't the thing that people with quirks have one less bone in their pinky toe because it's pretty much vestigial in modern humans anyway and so they use it as proof they've evolved to the next point?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lord_Magmar posted:

Isn't the thing that people with quirks have one less bone in their pinky toe because it's pretty much vestigial in modern humans anyway and so they use it as proof they've evolved to the next point?

No the extra bone is proof of being Quirkless because it technically is a quirk but is so minor and vestigial that you effectively have no quirk at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

No the extra bone is proof of being Quirkless because it technically is a quirk but is so minor and vestigial that you effectively have no quirk at all.

That doesn't make sense, it would mean a billion people have the exact same quirk.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
you either get explosion powers or you get the pinky toe bone them's the rules.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The reason they couldn't stop Shigaraki's finger thing is because it's actually just a bunch of quirkless pinky toe bones that the doctor stole.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah it's this. It's like the palmaris longus except with superpowers and happening a lot quicker.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1507156789342748677

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speed scans and break next week

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/1500/my-hero-academia-chapter-349?2022-03-25T1

Am I imagining it or is Spinner really buff in that panel?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speed scans and break next week

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/1500/my-hero-academia-chapter-349?2022-03-25T1

Am I imagining it or is Spinner really buff in that panel?

Uhh yeah, Spinner looks really off in that panel,he's drooling and way bigger than he should be. Did he overdose on Trigger or something?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
uh oh he's laying the groundwork for the 2nd's quirk to come in with some bullshit

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

TheHan posted:

uh oh he's laying the groundwork for the 2nd's quirk to come in with some bullshit

It even looks like the fuckin Nine tails door in Naruto

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Watch it be AOE quirk enhancement or something like that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheHan posted:

(One Piece spoilers)Deku also has the ability to become a gag character.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Spinner got his assistant-killing sword back! That's how you know he's serious

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

Okay I personally consider getting inside someone's head and understanding their feelings to be different things. I don't want to be inside Toga's head because it's not a comfortable headspace to be in, I do understand and have empathy for and sympathy for her past because her past loving sucked. Her current feelings are being presented in a terrifying way, and that's not somewhere I want to be inside. But the stuff in her past, of people looking at her and asking why she can't be a "normal" girl, why is she different, why does she have such weird interests and hobbies, why is she not the same as everyone else. That's entirely understandable I think and plenty of people experience it, they just don't have a) super powers or b) have a mental breakdown over emotionally abusive parents so bad they become serial killers.

I guess from a certain perspective I have sympathy but not empathy for Toga's situation. But I feel like I have both, I just don't think I need to be inside the head of an emotionally damaged young girl whose responses to her feelings are clearly messed up and jumbled from any form of healthy expression to do so.

I think that Toga's issues being common in normal life actually kind of hurts her presentation, because she's reacting to a relatively common issue in a way that is absolutely not common. And her super-powers don't really make it easier to kill people, so it's not a situation like "person reacts in the same way as other people, but it has worse consequences because of superpowers" (a situation that does apply to Shigaraki, who initially killed people due to an uncontrollable effect from his powers - he's a bad character for various reasons, but his initial trauma makes sense as a direct result of quirks existing). Twice also had a very "superpower-specific" issue, which made him more interesting.

But in Toga's case, there actually isn't even really a need to bring superpowers into the equation. There's a clear analogue in sex - a powerful desire most people have that requires the consent of other people.

I think a pretty accurate analogy for Toga's situation is something like being gay in a very homophobic society - someone having a strong desire that society/family treat as unacceptable. It's a situation that is unfortunately very common, but does not normally result in committing crimes against other people (because experiencing bad things generally doesn't make people lose their empathy).

Toga still deserves compassion and humane treatment, but for the exact same reason as literally any other human (and particularly as a minor). I don't see her as fundamentally more sympathetic than Shigaraki (whose initial crimes he literally wasn't at fault for, and was then raised by All For One - he was basically manipulated by an evil adult for his entire life following an uncontrollable childhood tragedy).

(I'm not really sure why I put this in spoiler tags; I just added them because the post I'm replying to had them)

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
deku now gearing up to get even more random superpowers out of nowhere.

Man. Deku sucks. Why not just let him have the original super overpowered ability of being the strongest guy alive? He really needs 40 different random powers that just do whatever is necessary whenever it's necessary?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, the previous powers have conveniently given Deku whatever he's needed so far, so maybe the final quirk the 2nd is referring to will just be, like... a personality? He definitely doesn't have one of those yet.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

:lol: All Might overshadows Endeavor again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New Vigilantes
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-122/chapter/24156?action=read
The loving gall of this to finally conclude this fight, and then to give us "I can't believe you got away at the last second". Please just let this end, I'm begging you!
I'm still enjoying it, though.

e: beaten, took too long to write a post.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vigilantes

The fight's clearly over at this point, I think the rest will probably just be denouement. What I'm expecting now is for Six to try to get to Pop in some way and Koichi will meet up with him again and resolve the ongoing childhood fantasy. Maybe Koichi will even say "You can be a hero," that might be pretty cool.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Arist posted:

Vigilantes

The fight's clearly over at this point, I think the rest will probably just be denouement. What I'm expecting now is for Six to try to get to Pop in some way and Koichi will meet up with him again and resolve the ongoing childhood fantasy. Maybe Koichi will even say "You can be a hero," that might be pretty cool.

I"m very much hoping for this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well something is sort of happening at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's weird how the spinoff manga about illegal vigilantes is a better superhero manga than the actual main manga that's explicitly about superheroes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not even All Might can save me from this manga continuing in perpetuity

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

deku now gearing up to get even more random superpowers out of nowhere.

Man. Deku sucks. Why not just let him have the original super overpowered ability of being the strongest guy alive? He really needs 40 different random powers that just do whatever is necessary whenever it's necessary?

It's a proud superhero tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SpacePig posted:

The loving gall of this to finally conclude this fight, and then to give us "I can't believe you got away at the last second". Please just let this end, I'm begging you!

:yeah: