Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

In actual Ukraine war news, Israel has banned Russia from purchasing their super cell phone spy software:

https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/news/2022/03/23/7136484/

Worth noting Israel also banned Ukraine from buying it and previously prevented Eastern European countries who bought it from using it against Russian numbers. They really want to play both sides of this fence.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ahahahahaha
Russia’s going to cause Germany to stop getting gas from them.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1506677652798820358?s=20&t=M8n1zYP_jnFo5HjEwnG57g

Yeah, this is not gonna work as well as Putin thought it would. Basically EU is gonna give them euros and tell them to shutup and color or stop buying, and I doubt Russia is in a position (as much as Germany is also not in a position) to NOT accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Worth noting Israel also banned Ukraine from buying it and previously prevented Eastern European countries who bought it from using it against Russian numbers. They really want to play both sides of this fence.

Part of it is that Russia has around 250,000 Jews still living there. This isn’t meant to justify, but possibly explain the Israeli logic, a bit more. For the record Ukraine has a similar number of Jews living in the country and being murdered by the Russians.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

On the subject of fragging, I’m surprised that during the Trump of execution bonanza that this guy didn’t come up. I figured he would be a poster boy for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Hasan_K._Akbar

Military must have a different process.

Considering what he’s on death row for, plus the fact that he stabbed an MP in a bathroom during his trial, I’m sure he’s getting extra lovely treatment in prison.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Weird name. I know the DOJ and feds love their codenames, wonder what Woland means...

:kstare:

For what it's worth, The Master and Margarita is a great book, the 1993 translation by Burgin and O'Connor is really good. It actually provides some context to the Russian approach to, uh, everything?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I remember this talk about professional spyware off the top of my head:
"To protect and infect" from the 30C3 conference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1aU3uw1QnA

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The podcast Darknet Diaries episode 100 has a fantastic explanation of how that spyware works and how it has been abused to target activists and aid oligarchs.

Darknet Diaries is one of the few podcasts I actually pay attention to (sorta, I'll binge all released episodes between audiobooks). I don't think I've gotten to ep 100 yet, but for somebody not in InfoSec I find that poo poo fascinating. Especially the interviews w/ the Israeli groups.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Alarbus posted:

For what it's worth, The Master and Margarita is a great book, the 1993 translation by Burgin and O'Connor is really good. It actually provides some context to the Russian approach to, uh, everything?

Yeah, the Finnish translation is rather solid as well. A really strange yet really good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Alarbus posted:

Sounds like it from the synopsis, I just love me some thematic code names.

Like, say, if a writer was in charge of renaming the company, after the feds got wise to their first company, and that writer decided to go informant to punish an organization they felt was wrong.

And if the org were mostly Russians...

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 23, 2022

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

M_Gargantua posted:

So... I can give them.worthless paper and they give me oil?

I fail to see a downside

Putin takes your Euro via his big bank at the rate he wants you to pay. Gives you back his Pariah State Inc. company script. You pay for the oil in company script on the rate Putin wants you to pay.

It's bad and also a dark comedy.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A Bad King posted:

Putin takes your Euro via his big bank at the rate he wants you to pay. Gives you back his Pariah State Inc. company script. You pay for the oil in company script on the rate Putin wants you to pay.

It's bad and also a dark comedy.
Just going to keep throwing out there that burning oil is literally continuing to push human extinction, so maybe we can look at this as an opportunity.

Lol, no, I know. Number must go up, energy must be cheap. Sorry grandkids, you're gunna die young.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Build

Nuke

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

carrionman posted:

This page has been an amazing example of whyleftwingplansfail.txt

The youtuber who articulates points 98% in line with my views? Well he did something in the past which may not be ideal. Or possibly not. But there's a chance so gently caress HIM FOREVER I WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT SHITHEEL.

It's the same tired old crap that there's nothing a leftist hates more than the wrong kind of leftist. See also: Robert Evans.

In my case it's 51% at best, but I don't consider myself a leftist of any stripe. My issue was the possibility of human trafficking, and now I'm rather doubtful that's what actually went down. So... I'm stepping back from my previous judgement.

gently caress the NIMBYs

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

You must construct additional reactors.

A.o.D. posted:

gently caress the NIMBYs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Just going to keep throwing out there that burning oil is literally continuing to push human extinction, so maybe we can look at this as an opportunity.

Lol, no, I know. Number must go up, energy must be cheap. Sorry grandkids, you're gunna die young.

Yeah I saw a thread this morning about that, I'm fully skeptical that we'll take even the most modest steps to mitigate climate change

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1506371963857604624
https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1506614064319016964

"High energy prices" are loving cyanide to progressive political gains.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BUILD

NUKE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes but: atoms?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah I saw a thread this morning about that, I'm fully skeptical that we'll take even the most modest steps to mitigate climate change
Yeah, not to get completely doomer, but nothing is going to be done until its too late, if it's not already. So. . . yay. Eat Arbys.
Also this.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There's nothing doomer about acknowledging we're point of no return on climate change and that nothing will be done about it. That's like point out water is wet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Yes but: atoms?

Yes, exactly

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is the answer

Also: Kaboom:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1506700059794096132?s=20&t=SZsc0c3BXsTeJzJ85Eqi9Q

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, no, I'm not making myself clear: these are the bad kind of atoms. They're always causing problems on TV and in movies.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1506716593102987272

Also seems like atoms are going to pick a side in this conflict

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

zoux posted:

No, no, I'm not making myself clear: these are the bad kind of atoms. They're always causing problems on TV and in movies.

I'm Comrade Blyatlov, and I say ATOMS ARE GOOD

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm Comrade Blyatlov, and I say ATOMS ARE GOOD

Atoms are good as long as you keep TEPCO/Comrade Dyatlov far, far away from them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God drat

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Well if they can't agree I'm sure we can just start splitting atoms up

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cimber posted:

When was the last time in modern history that an aggressor actually won their war of aggression?

I can only think of one, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and even that the 'victory' wasn't so clear cut.

Vietnam?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cimber posted:

When was the last time in modern history that an aggressor actually won their war of aggression?

I can only think of one, the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and even that the 'victory' wasn't so clear cut.

2014 annexation of Crimea

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around a climate activist political party that would rather burn coal instead of letting nuclear reactors operate for a few more years. But then again I'm also the kind of guy who vacuums on a Sunday.

Arrath posted:

God drat

Looking at the buildings for scale, some pieces of that poo poo went like an entire city block.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 23, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

2014 annexation of Crimea

Technically I think that is still ongoing.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

stealie72 posted:

I have two babies and yes the world is totally hosed and I hope Germany just puts on a drat sweater but we all know that cheap energy has created so much shareholder value and number must rise at the same rate regardless of the quantity of skulls on the skull throne of Capital and we ought not even bother staring down at the falling rate of profit inherent in the contradictions of the system hey a long running sentence with almost as much depth as econ 101 and the duration of time it took for us to destroy our planet with carbonized plant goop.

I digress, Putin is a poo poo head and this latest news just quickens the pace for Germany to finally understand they made a big oopsie, and are now correcting course. Maybe...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

In my case it's 51% at best, but I don't consider myself a leftist of any stripe. My issue was the possibility of human trafficking, and now I'm rather doubtful that's what actually went down. So... I'm stepping back from my previous judgement.

gently caress the NIMBYs

It's complicated... and i've always liked his (Beau) talks.

There are a many shades of grey in this life. :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If you can enjoy Michael Jackson's music then I think you can get your head around watching Beau's videos

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

If you can enjoy Michael Jackson's music

I extremely can. (Except for some talking about how people don’t understand their love and people should leave him alone, those get pretty eesh)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Military folks - it seems unusual that a meeting like this would have the read out leaked. Is that an accurate assumption?
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1506728802054983683?s=20&t=zJG0a4vUZAOV8DyEfegeXg
Article: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/23/politics/us-russia-general-meeting/index.html

It's also an interesting read of something clearly pretty high-stakes. The meeting was held in Moscow and a Russian general apparently got visibly emotional - pissed or scared is unclear - when asked about his Ukrainian heritage. Seems like all is not well at the higher echelons of the Russian Military - which we knew but it's weird to have it confirmed like this.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1506371963857604624
https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1506614064319016964

"High energy prices" are loving cyanide to progressive political gains.

Yuuup. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the ecological aspect of all this either, because if nothing else this war has emphasized how absolutely and catastrophically addicted everyone still is to fossil fuels. This climate change stuff is going to come down on our heads like a ten ton anvil.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

CommieGIR posted:

This is the answer

Also: Kaboom:

edit: removed imbed because tables

https://twitter.com/chaldene6/status/1506705760293691396?s=20&t=2RsT3jy3XEDoIJV1ytYRIQ

This intrigues me some. So is that missile that insane, or is the tank built out of melted down and re-stamped Lada Axles with booger welds or some poo poo? Maybe both. Hell of a magazine detonation.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

KitConstantine posted:

Military folks - it seems unusual that a meeting like this would have the read out leaked. Is that an accurate assumption?

When I was enlisted in the Marines I would have said "No idea" and now that I work on the other side of the desk as a consultant to Coast Guard officers I can still thoroughly say: no fuckin clue

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CommieGIR posted:

Atoms are good as long as you keep TEPCO/Comrade Dyatlov far, far away from them.

and what of the dyatlov pass incident? Perhaps atoms were to blame :thunk:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When you think about it atoms are involved in every disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When you think about it atoms are involved in every disaster

"He's out of line but he's correct."

Yeah the big overlooked thing that was the larger issue with Chernobyl (that the series did cover pretty well actually) was what Dyatlov had the Reactor Operators do was well outside of standard procedure and was the larger issue. The RBMKs reactor flaw just amplified the issue from Dyatlov manhandling the reactor to drag power out of a poisoned reactor.