Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ilkhan posted:

I disagree, but it's an opinion worth debating.

It quite literally isn't, from the tiniest small claims or traffic court to felony trials to massive corporate law lawyer paydays. American law is built on a history of racist laws, institutions, doctrines and people. You can't overcome that in the couple generations from the Civil Rights era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How do you get a fair trial when the very subject of this thread has made historically bad decisions protecting unfair treatment and outright malicious actions by the state? We were just talking about Herrera for gently caress's sake lol

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

-- we know from surveys of jurors that they just fundamentally don't understand concepts like "reasonable doubt" or expert testimony ; see, e.g., https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/05/joshua-mounts-murder-trial-medical-examiners/ ;

Jesus christ:

quote:

[The juror] said it hurt Mounts when he did not take the stand: “If Josh would have said, like, ‘Oh, the baby hit his head on something and that caused him to have a brain injury,’ that would make more sense than saying nothing happened, because something happened.”

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 22, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

yeah, exactly.

Like, at this point there are so many clearly demonstrable flaws with our trial court system that I sincerely believe future generations will look on our system the way we look on trial by ordeal. At least by ordeal nobody pretended it was fair.

I also think most judges and most practicing trial attorneys, prosecutors included, would admit to this if you got them drunk enough.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 22, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is part of why I do not refer to our criminal legal system as a justice system because it isn’t.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trial by ordeal was significantly more fair because I don't think you could buy a favorable verdict unlike trial by combat or American adversarial "justice"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

I disagree, but it's an opinion worth debating.

Oh hey I've got a bridge NFT to sell you

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VitalSigns posted:

Trial by ordeal was significantly more fair because I don't think you could buy a favorable verdict unlike trial by combat or American adversarial "justice"

Trial by Combat is a type of Trial by Ordeal, another well known ordeal was Trial by Fire.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trial by Combat is a type of Trial by Ordeal, another well known ordeal was Trial by Fire.
Ok well I meant the non-combat ordeals where you can't hire the best fighter or whatever to do it for you

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I was happy that Biden nominated Jackson, and I still think she’ll make a good Justice. That said, no democratic nominee should EVER be talking about how they’re constrained by Original Public Meaning, that’s just reinforcing the Right’s framework for them.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Faith in the system as fair or fair enough/the best possible system in the minds of the everyman props it up.

Plenty of people believe it's impartial, rational and justice is often done, with blind spots to all the miscarriages of justice (maybe thinking they are one-offs), right up until they get railroaded. This was the belief of one woman and her husband until it happened to her.

I'll try to find a link when I get home but the summary is she took care of infants and one had a cranial injury (before he was in her care) then it died in her care. Despite desperately trying to provide aid and calling for help, she was charged despite lack of evidence.

The horrible medical examiner was the star witness, insisting she must have done it, even acting it out for the jury. The guy had been known to make things up but the prosecutor didn't care.

article giving the perspective of Carrody M. Buchhorn, the accused and then convicted:
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/melinda-henneberger/article254015863.html

She's getting a new trial due to deficient counsel but there are some nuggets in there about ME:
https://lawrencekstimes.com/2021/08/13/kcoa-buchhorn/

here's an article on the ME:
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/melinda-henneberger/article253637688.html

some of his past mistakes:
https://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/20/nyregion/syracuse-medical-examiner-agrees-to-quit-after-inquiry.html

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 23, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We’re all sickos now

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1506614178546601988?s=21

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

I would openly chortle except I don't want to jinx anything.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Is voodoo applicable when using the term "Sending vibes yo way" towards him?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Scalia's replacement was stolen from Obama and RBG handed her seat to Trump through her lovely Hubris. Thomas getting replaced by the guy who downplayed him being a sexpest would be fitting but I'm extremely skeptical of it happening. I'd sooner believe that Ginny Thomas and the GOP would insist he's still alive for the next several years and that he's just working from seclusion so he can focus on his duties or whatever.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Didn't Thomas get vaccinated? He'll be fine.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

You're assuming its covid. 'flu like symptoms' cover a range of possibilities.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
kind of deeply depressing that even if he does die and biden manages to appoint another justice before the dems lose congress at the end of the year, all it will accomplish is to give back the deciding swing vote to john "kill the vra" roberts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oracle posted:

You're assuming its covid. 'flu like symptoms' cover a range of possibilities.

Yeah, he’s old, a lot of things can cause very serious pneumonias and things can go downhill quickly.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

I have news which is both good and bad.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Alito is only a couple years younger than Thomas so :shrug:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Slaan posted:

Alito is only a couple years younger than Thomas so :shrug:

Well, Democratic senate control is likely disappearing after November, so...

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Knowing Thomas and his wife, I'd sooner believe it's some form of pump and dump stock scheme than a vaccination issue. He's got decades of corrupt bench legislation left in him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kaal posted:

Knowing Thomas and his wife, I'd sooner believe it's some form of pump and dump stock scheme than a vaccination issue. He's got decades of corrupt bench legislation left in him.

I dunno. If he'd been released they'd have fallen all over themselves to let us know. He's 73 and he's been in the hospital for five straight nights. Somebody can work the statistical tables on that but the odds are stacking up.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1506667215554326534?t=CgV8PwhyxNGGyVO0UL9Z1Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1506668612748255238?t=WKq15q7bhrC7xzlj4ZIowA&s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SCOTUS invalidated Wisconsin districting maps via shadow docket with bullshit that has never been a requirement before:

https://utexas.app.box.com/s/7ca2iocqmaz9xk8xlklcwqrvisa842bu

e:f;b.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

SCOTUS invalidated Wisconsin districting maps via shadow docket with bullshit that has never been a requirement before:

https://utexas.app.box.com/s/7ca2iocqmaz9xk8xlklcwqrvisa842bu

e:f;b.

They didn't have any other choice, all their other excuses didn't fit and to do nothing means the GOP can't rig themselves a supermajority in WI while getting a minority of the total vote.

Better to make poo poo up while the rest of the government continues to kick the Constitutional Crisis can down the road instead of just acknowledging the current SCOTUS is illegitimate and openly ruling in favor of solidifying their party's power at all costs. Here's hoping Thomas was hanging out with Alito and Roberts a lot last week.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kind of deeply depressing that even if he does die and biden manages to appoint another justice before the dems lose congress at the end of the year, all it will accomplish is to give back the deciding swing vote to john "kill the vra" roberts

The reality of the situation is that even moving Roberts back into the position of swing "decider" would be a massive improvement from the configuration of the court currently. It would be a huge boon.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

The reality of the situation is that even moving Roberts back into the position of swing "decider" would be a massive improvement from the configuration of the court currently. It would be a huge boon.
I think it's all moot unless we hold on to Congress in the next election.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Grip it and rip it posted:

i think you can trace a significant amount of responsibility for the current composition of the court and the political realities it represents to robert's rulings on the vra. in the end how much does it matter if roberts stifles the most egregious impulses of the other conservative justices if he's eager to reinforce and accelerate the forces guaranteeing that those same types of highly partisan justices will retain a majority for the foreseeable future? at best it just seems to be taking solace in the prospect that the worst blows will land on the next generation rather than us

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think it's all moot unless we hold on to Congress in the next election.

I have bad news for you.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Are there any threads about the current hearing? Because the racism is wild. I know she’s not left enough, but she seems legit cool and like a solid pick for a moderate.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LionArcher posted:

Are there any threads about the current hearing? Because the racism is wild. I know she’s not left enough, but she seems legit cool and like a solid pick for a moderate.

She is a good pick. Pretty disappointing that a black woman merits almost zero discussion on this board despite being literally the only public defender ever nominated.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

She is a good pick. Pretty disappointing that a black woman merits almost zero discussion on this board despite being literally the only public defender ever nominated.

I'd assume at least part of it is because she's clearly qualified, obviously competent, and with a 6-3 court, it's not gonna matter at all for another 30 years, so there's not a lot to discuss.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

A good pick is a good pick, not much to discuss

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A good pick is a good pick, not much to discuss

azflyboy posted:

I'd assume at least part of it is because she's clearly qualified, obviously competent, and with a 6-3 court, it's not gonna matter at all for another 30 years, so there's not a lot to discuss.

She's basically walking into a situation that would turn Judge Beer into a puddle of tears and dealing with the racism foghorn day in and day out, I think we should at least spend some time on it, but I can't make people do so.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jaxyon posted:

She's basically walking into a situation that would turn Judge Beer into a puddle of tears and dealing with the racism foghorn day in and day out, I think we should at least spend some time on it, but I can't make people do so.

Can't you post about her nomination? Give it a shot, see if anyone responds!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One questionable ruling was debated in here but not much to debate really about a boring but fine judge who is a definite improvement over the old white dude she's replacing.

The CE thread has been posting a few wild excerpts from the unhinged GOP questioning, but it's interspersed with other politics stuff, I think if you brought some examples in here it would spark discussion because wow holy moley

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Leon's post is pretty good start:

quote:

Blackburn: How can you make rulings on the rights of women and deciding who is or is not a woman when you are not a biologist and therefor could not define a woman?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Considering the POTUS and current Senate composition she pretty much is left enough.

VitalSigns posted:

One questionable ruling was debated in here but not much to debate really about a boring but fine judge who is a definite improvement over the old white dude she's replacing.

What questionable ruling was that, the class action one where someone linked to an article written by a lawyer who missed a payday because of her decision and therefore is extremely biased about said ruling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have bad news for you.
Yeah that's what I was getting at. Not looking good.