Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah this in no way restores my faith in KS given that the COO is reportedly big into crypto-idiocy, but it is at least vaguely refreshing to see someone face some kind of consequences for blithely supporting NFTs and blind support of anything involving the word "blockchain." It gives me some kind of hope that companies are starting to figure out that there is some genuine and justified backlash to corporate obsession with NFTs as a business model. I feel like even a year ago they'd have gotten some backlash and collectively shrugged their shoulders and moved on. Ultimately I don't think it'll make any difference in this case, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah this in no way restores my faith in KS given that the COO is reportedly big into crypto-idiocy, but it is at least vaguely refreshing to see someone face some kind of consequences for blithely supporting NFTs and blind support of anything involving the word "blockchain." It gives me some kind of hope that companies are starting to figure out that there is some genuine and justified backlash to corporate obsession with NFTs as a business model. I feel like even a year ago they'd have gotten some backlash and collectively shrugged their shoulders and moved on. Ultimately I don't think it'll make any difference in this case, though!

I think it will because of Gamefound not doing blockchain and the lack of support by creators for KS's position.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

homullus posted:

Talisman appeals to younger gamers and to the younger gamers within some older gamers. It's slighty more "game" than a slot machine is but hey at least the game rewards your sophisticated strategic mind when you choose the Prophetess before you start trying to roll high on hundreds of d6 rolls for the next few hours.

The thing that separated Rutibex from other posters talking about and recommending the game is probably "good faith."

there was also his weird homebrew cereal box board

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I think it will because of Gamefound not doing blockchain and the lack of support by creators for KS's position.

Oh in that sense, I absolutely agree, it will make a difference. I more meant that the CEO stepping down isn't likely to change anything for the better in KS's operational goals, so if anything it'll probably accelerate the shift to a different platform.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I mean, the salient point is that it won't matter since none of you are getting your board games on Kickstarter, right? Both because they're an awful exploitative company undeserving of financial support, but also because you're just too darn busy buying and playing all the terrific and wonderful games that already exist that you can purchase right now at your friendly local game stores? Right?

:eng99:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is there a chance we can lock you and Prada slut up in a thunderdome situation?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Going to back games on KS even harder due to this post.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, the salient point is that it won't matter since none of you are getting your board games on Kickstarter, right? Both because they're an awful exploitative company undeserving of financial support, but also because you're just too darn busy buying and playing all the terrific and wonderful games that already exist that you can purchase right now at your friendly local game stores? Right?

:eng99:

I'm not buying poo poo, so it doesn't matter. Last KS was for Travis Hill's Union station and that was $35 and did it because he's a nice guy.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’d prefer to back everything on Gamefound but alas Kickstarter is currently an important part of the funding process for creators, especially newer ones.

Maybe one day.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna have a veritable glut of games+bling arriving next week it seems:
- Dead Reckoning & Tiny Epic Dungeons recently arrived
- Western Empires, and a Wyrmwood Dispel Dice group pledge are out for delivery
- Got pre-shipping info for Paint the Roses, so that will likely arrive next week as well.
- My Wyrmwood Hexagon Gaming Tiles, and a very large BoardGameTables Bags & Playmats group pledge are also theoretically next week.
- Potion Panic should be the week after

Having a lads only day for Nemesis Round 3 this weekend, and will likely do Unfathomable at night.
Weekend after that is a party game day at a friends place, so Paint the Roses will get a spin.
After that will be a Great Western Trail + Dead Reckoning day.
Then in April I've flagged it's War Game Month and we'll be looking at Twilight Imperium, Western Empires, and Dune.

I fuckin love board games.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Joe Chill posted:

I found advanced combat annoying too but I found a way that works much easier. It similar to what you suggested but without doubling the leader's strength. It best to just ignore the numbers on the battle wheel and turn the wheel based on increments. So if I have 5 forces I would turn the wheel 5 increments. The wheel shows 2.5. I can now add spice to gain more power, so I pay 2 spice and turn the wheel twice. The wheel now shows 3.5. That's it! No dividing or confusion by saying your forces are "half-strength."

Yeah, that's the way we explain it, troops are worth a half, spice is worth a half. You can't play more spice than troops. It's just, why is it halves? And it messes up this way for Sardaukar and Fedaykin

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Posted this in the KS thread a few times, I think this will tickle a few peoples fancies

:siren: 15 hour warning on Illiterati.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gapclosergames/illiterati

Infinitum posted:

I took another look at Illiterati... and it looks really drat good.
Bag + drawing tiles is always a good hook

Could be a hell of a 2 player game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asv1Pa7BJTY

I've backed for a $1 and will likely pick it up via the pledge manager.

Check it out if you like bags, and pulling Azul like tiles out of bags

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Posted this in the KS thread a few times, I think this will tickle a few peoples fancies

It looks really cute and interesting and scratches a few itches. Tempting. VERY TEMPTING. Word games just feel so wholesome, ya know?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

I backed this, it looks good.

Infinitum posted:

Going to back games on KS even harder due to this post.

:same:

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 24, 2022

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

I backed it for $1 and I'm planning on picking it up through the pledge manager. It looks interesting. Kickstarter still sucks but whatcha gonna do?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Illiterati does look great, but I really can't see much reason at all to back on KS rather than wait for retail.

I played Three Kingdoms Redux for the first time yesterday and drat is it good. It's kinda-sorta a worker-placement game, except that you only get a small number of 'workers', they each have unique stats for administration and combat, and you use them to 'bid' for action spaces (using their combat or administration value, depending on the space) and only the highest bid gets to actually resolve the action. They also all have unique powers (drawn from a deck of cards, so you'll only see 7 out of 30 or so each game), and as the game progresses you can permanently lose some of them in exchange for taking over border territories that give you a VP engine and end-game scoring. All this leads to a game where interaction is everything - the value of different action spaces, the timing of when you need to do them, and the tension of whether to keep more of your 'workers' active to take more actions or to lock them up into border spaces for VPs all make for some really interesting and tight decisions.

The fact that it's a game for exactly 3 players also seems to have allowed the designers to really lean-in to designing a game around that specific player count, and avoid some of the problems that can often arise from variable player count games. There are a specific number of action spaces for recruiting and then training armies, which forces a certain timing for how often you can field units to fight each other. Players can fight each of their neighbours for control of vp-generating border territories, but can't interact with the border that exists between their two neighbours, meaning that there's no 'A and B fight, C wins' problem here. It was only a first play, but it feels like a really really clever design and one I'm really looking forward to exploring more.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Had my local game night last night. We got in a game of Suburbia which continues to be an excellent game after all these years.
We played at 5 players, 3 of which were completely new to it as a game. Played in an hour not including setup/teardown and everyone had a blast.

We also had a game of The Hunger which is a deck building game similar to Clank! in which you are vampires racing down a number of paths to get to a rose and then return to the safety of your castle before sunrise. Throughout the race you can hunt humans and companions which then become your deck.

4 Players were learning this one, myself included and I gotta say, not having played Clank! myself I can't comment on which is better but this was a whole lot of fun. Total play was 1.45 including setup for five players and it was a lot of fun. Decent little catchup mechanics with just the right amount of take that abilities. Basically limited to pushing a player back or forward 1 spot when you land on them.

15 rounds before sunrise feels pretty tight, with at least the last 5 rounds just being "run as fast as possible" and ignoring your engine for the most part which was a little disappointing. It feels like maybe the points are locked in by round 10 and then it's just a race to not be turning into ash and losing outright. I'd have to play more and at more player counts to see if that's consistently the feeling as this may just be this one experience.

Overall, pretty average for a 100NZD (approx 60USD) game, I'm glad it was someone else's spend. Could do with a few more varied card effects though. I wonder how fast this game will get old. There isn't a huge amount of combo-building. The components themselves are decent quality and the art is gorgeous if that matters to you.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 25, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

Redundant posted:

I backed it for $1 and I'm planning on picking it up through the pledge manager.

Cowards, all of you

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Giving more money to creators and less to the crypto morons running kickstarter is a good thing.

and mods, maybe just maybe this person being warned this many times with useless 6 hour probes is not going to stop them from trolling.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Giving more money to creators and less to the crypto morons running kickstarter is a good thing.

This is a very good point and something I hadn't considered for some reason, changed mine to pledge manager access too.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Wait, does pledging $1 and then buying through pledge manager actually get more money to creators/less to ks? How does that compare to buying retail? I'm certainly keen to buy in whatever way supports the actual creators of games the best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Kickstarter takes ~8% from pledges, pledge managers are 3rd party (with varying fees as well, but none of that goes to KS). Retail vs backing is going to depend heavily by every campaign but generally retail margins are pretty bad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I usually end up downgrading most of my pledges to $1 if they've made all their stretch goals are are well ahead for pretty much that reason + it gives you some breathing room to reconsider + you don't need to fork out a big lump of cash immediately for something a year away.

The one caveat are the campaigns that don't offer $1 PM access, which again is a weird thing not to include.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 25, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A good recent example is Lacerda's new game Weather Machine.

Downgraded to $1, and now just following allowing and 4 months later they still haven't opened the PM yet (because it look like the person doing that left the company)

Still once that does open up I'll be grabbing Weather Machine + Kanban + Roccoco, but I didn't have to wear that cost upfront

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

A good recent example is Lacerda's new game Weather Machine.

Downgraded to $1, and now just following allowing and 4 months later they still haven't opened the PM yet (because it look like the person doing that left the company)

Still once that does open up I'll be grabbing Weather Machine + Kanban + Roccoco, but I didn't have to wear that cost upfront

Lisboa is the best of the lot, if you don't have it yet. It's like the pinky-out of Euros. Euro as gently caress.

Though I feel fancy with the metal coins and little tuft things in Rococo

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 25, 2022

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Kickstarter takes ~8% from pledges, pledge managers are 3rd party (with varying fees as well, but none of that goes to KS). Retail vs backing is going to depend heavily by every campaign but generally retail margins are pretty bad.

That makes sense when I stop to think about it, I'll definitely just do the $1 pledge thing in future if there's no drawbacks to doing so.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Western Empires was waiting for me today.

€60 and free shipping from the Netherlands to Australia?
loving bargain considering it feels like they shipped me a box with 3 bricks in it.

Now to convince 8 other nerds to play it with me.

Kerro posted:

That makes sense when I stop to think about it, I'll definitely just do the $1 pledge thing in future if there's no drawbacks to doing so.

Just double check the campaign is offering $1 pledge manager access and you're golden.
If it's not listed just shoot them a message on KS and ask.

There was only 1-2 games I was interested in last year that didn't offer it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kerro posted:

It's mostly a problem for the creator because it's hard for people to estimate how much uplift they are going to get in the pledge manager, but it's mostly a good problem for them if order volume shoots up in the pledge manager.

So yeah if you want to minimise the money you give to kickstarter it makes total sense.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Out of morbid curiosity, I looked at the Kickstarter updates for Shadow Tactics.

Funding closed in February 2019. In March 2021 they launched another Kickstarter for the expansion to this game (nothing had been delivered yet). In December 2020, they noted production will begin in February 2021. February came and went with nothing. In October they posted a non-update. In February 2022 they posted a "only one person still works here" with the new project manager who can't get in touch with the old one (who doesn't work there anymore), and is now estimating 6-9 months to production.

Holy poo poo what an absolute clusterfuck

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antler-games/shadow-tactics-the-board-game/posts/3428751

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kerro posted:

I played Three Kingdoms Redux for the first time yesterday and drat is it good. It's kinda-sorta a worker-placement game, except that you only get a small number of 'workers', they each have unique stats for administration and combat, and you use them to 'bid' for action spaces (using their combat or administration value, depending on the space) and only the highest bid gets to actually resolve the action. They also all have unique powers (drawn from a deck of cards, so you'll only see 7 out of 30 or so each game), and as the game progresses you can permanently lose some of them in exchange for taking over border territories that give you a VP engine and end-game scoring. All this leads to a game where interaction is everything - the value of different action spaces, the timing of when you need to do them, and the tension of whether to keep more of your 'workers' active to take more actions or to lock them up into border spaces for VPs all make for some really interesting and tight decisions.

The fact that it's a game for exactly 3 players also seems to have allowed the designers to really lean-in to designing a game around that specific player count, and avoid some of the problems that can often arise from variable player count games. There are a specific number of action spaces for recruiting and then training armies, which forces a certain timing for how often you can field units to fight each other. Players can fight each of their neighbours for control of vp-generating border territories, but can't interact with the border that exists between their two neighbours, meaning that there's no 'A and B fight, C wins' problem here. It was only a first play, but it feels like a really really clever design and one I'm really looking forward to exploring more.

This game looks rad. 3-player-only games are such a strange space to play in. Antiquity in China just seems both under-represented theme in board games and also ncredibly awesome (assuming it's not orientalist or appropriative, but the design team for this game seem to approach it from a very sincere place).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's a very good game and the theming is solid as well yeah.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

This game looks rad. 3-player-only games are such a strange space to play in. Antiquity in China just seems both under-represented theme in board games and also ncredibly awesome (assuming it's not orientalist or appropriative, but the design team for this game seem to approach it from a very sincere place).

It was super cool, yeah. It really made me sad that there are so few games that are built around just a single player count. I get that it's probably commercially not viable (as evidenced by the fact that the designers of Three Kingdoms have started destroying remaining stock because they couldn't sell it and can't justify continuing to store it) but it made me realise just how much more is possible when you don't have to try and balance around different player counts or different combinations of factions etc. It's such a different and interesting take on asymmetry in game design.

It does seem like a very underrepresented theme too, though to me it felt like it was not a super strong part of the game - at its heart it's still very much a euro game with a well integrated but not strongly evocative theme. It also made me aware of how little I know about Chinese names as I horribly butchered trying to pronounce them when placing my generals.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ready and setup. Lads day, and they each get a $2 chocolate if they complete their objective successfully.

If not I keep em :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Playing to lose, are we?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh I'm definitely going to do my utmost to murder someone tomorrow.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PRADA SLUT posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, I looked at the Kickstarter updates for Shadow Tactics.

Funding closed in February 2019. In March 2021 they launched another Kickstarter for the expansion to this game (nothing had been delivered yet). In December 2020, they noted production will begin in February 2021. February came and went with nothing. In October they posted a non-update. In February 2022 they posted a "only one person still works here" with the new project manager who can't get in touch with the old one (who doesn't work there anymore), and is now estimating 6-9 months to production.

Holy poo poo what an absolute clusterfuck

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antler-games/shadow-tactics-the-board-game/posts/3428751

So happy that the only gripes I've had with KS board games so far has been getting hit with customs badly on two games (Pret a Porter, 18MAG) and one game that is in development hell (Medeira Deluxe?). Rest have been lovely experiences minus some questionable results with the product in general terms of gameplay quality.

My copy of 1860 and 18USA showed up. Between them, the collection, and whenever Shikoku shows up, that should tide me over for a while until I hear about the next hottest thing or, God willing, The Old Prince gets a formal release.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I just ordered Three Kingdoms Redux based on the recent impressions in this thread and a review on BGG. My usual weekly group is 3 total so it's neat to have a game designed for 3. I ordered directly from the designers in Singapore so shipping was pretty extreme to the US, but happy to support them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
3KR is the best worker placement game I've ever played, hopefully it works for you. It's got a lengthy playtest and is pretty heavy, which can be a killer, but if it works for you and exactly two other people, it should be a lot of fun.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

3KR is the best worker placement game I've ever played, hopefully it works for you. It's got a lengthy playtest and is pretty heavy, which can be a killer, but if it works for you and exactly two other people, it should be a lot of fun.

What makes it so good? I've had it on the shelf for years and always been slightly scared off because of the strict three player requirement combined with its time-length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Infinitum posted:

Ready and setup. Lads day, and they each get a $2 chocolate if they complete their objective successfully.

If not I keep em :getin:

Good luck. Thanks for linking the No Rolls Barred playthroughs earlier, I've enjoyed watching a few of their Let's Plays though they do get quite a few rules wrong. Especially in vanilla Nemesis, like only remembering to move aliens with the event card when it might help them, when by the rules any aliens in a room with a character wouldn't move. Still, the playthroughs were tense and it looked like they had a blast. I don't see that they repeat games often but I hope they do another Nemesis or Lockdown run.