Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

its a lenovo and the only certified distro is ubuntu 20.04. i'm not loving with anything else on there

i am regretting not putting debian, the best distro, on my desktop though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

its a lenovo and the only certified distro is ubuntu 20.04. i'm not loving with anything else on there

i am regretting not putting debian, the best distro, on my desktop though

sound always works in debian

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Wait so is this ironic posting or does this thread have a consensus that Debian is Best Distro.

Debian is my favorite. Why yes, IRC is still valid in tyool 2022.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://release.gnome.org/42/

GNOME 42 just released :toot:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it's hard for your distro to break horribly out of the blue when its packages only get updated every two to five years

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Kazinsal posted:

it's hard for your distro to break horribly out of the blue when its packages only get updated every two to five years

I've been seeing a lot of apt-get upgrade needs on my Bullseye w/ backports kernel because of security concerns but yes. Containerized apps I want to run at bleeding edge, tried-and-true 90s Civic for everything else.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i use fedora silverblue and it works very well for me op

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I should have just assumed that the user base of a literal web forum-as-in-forum would agree with me that Debian is good and right, huh.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it just works

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

A Bad King posted:

Wait so is this ironic posting or does this thread have a consensus that Debian is Best Distro.

Debian is my favorite. Why yes, IRC is still valid in tyool 2022.

it'd be kind of pathetic for the thread to have an actual favourite really, layer on the irony forever. i run debian on my main work machine though.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

mycophobia posted:

it just works

Unless you're totally unfamiliar with Linux or *nix customs and user space and try to install it via the net-install defaults on bleeding edge hardware from 2022, which will lead you into a command prompt when Debian cannot figure out whatsit with this ??? gpu or wifi 6e chip and really just wants a newer kernel.

Yes, I agree though. Debian is really good and I like it. I don't want to janitor a PC with twice-a-week updates and Firefox ESR is better than the default channel. Even if Buster arrived with a kernel old enough to attend preschool and Bullseye a GNOME version not seen since before someone's first impeachment proceeding.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 23, 2022

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

debian and fedora are both fine to use, debian just requires a bit more up front effort to install everything you'd want in a windows/osx-ish desktop env, fedora comes with defaults that work ok

i use fedora on my work pc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm waiting for the h264 patents to finally loving expire so that installing any sort of red hat flavored linux isn't such an enormous ballache from a hardware accelerated video standpoint

because that's the only reason why any recommendation to use fedora has to come with a giant burning asterisk

then again even if the patent situation wasn't such a mess it still doesn't excuse this absolute godawful bullshit:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox#Hardware_video_acceleration

oh well, any day now (it works right now, but very much not out of the box).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The hardware video acceleration explicitly dodges the patents because the implementation is in the GPU rather than software, Firefox just doesn't support it.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

VAAPI is totally hosed with Iris Xe and that's not changing unless you turn off the content process sandbox. mozilla isn't willing to allow sysv ipc in the content process and for some reason the Iris Xe mesa driver needs sysv ipc. an intel dev says they plan to stop being such fuckups at some point, but who knows when that will happen

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I would counter that the entire concept underlying the Firefox sandbox is the fuckup.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

pseudorandom name posted:

I would counter that the entire concept underlying the Firefox sandbox is the fuckup.

I love how this thread and the Firefox thread all agree that Firefox is a bit of a mess, but considered the ethical choice in this hellworld.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Just browse from the command line

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

in so far as sandboxing should be enforced by a higher-privileged process, which in turn should derive capabilities from hardware enforced properties, yes

Kamrat posted:

Just browse from the command line
w3m is the superior choice, yes

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Debian still does that thing where if a hardware driver includes any copyrighted code in it. It wont be included in the distro/kernel that ships. So unless you know this ahead of time and what it takes to dig yourself out of this hole. You end up with newbies who install it and then wonder why sound/wifi/graphics dont work

I swear Debian IS the source of the gag "my sound and wifi dont work"

Ubuntu solves this but then I guess they also are daring people to sue individual users for using drivers/code/whatever in an unlicensed fashion.

There is no way to win.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
linux-firmware consists of freely distributable but nonfree device firmware.

debian can legally distribute it just fine, and indeed they do, they just choose not to install it by default because of quixotic stallmanist bullshit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh my solution to that general problem is to go with pc's that are all intel + nvidia gpu. nvidia is trouble on all linuxes, but is for some things just necessary, and it is then at least predictable. intel is probably the best and simultaneously least recognized linux upstanding citizen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

free as in having to listen to a screed

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Agree on Intel playing nice with all the distros and generally doing things that are Stallman approved.

The problem isnt limited to garbage consumer laptops. You can buy and $80,000 server from Dell, and if it happens to be a model that has a Broadcom based chipset in its network card. You'll be SOL with Debian unless you know enough to pxe boot with your own custom kernel or know to plug in a usb device containing the non free fimrware packages.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Yep. You have to add the nonfree contrib to the sources.list (and Debian will frown) post-install, because even if you select that you desire to include non-free software in the installation, it will not install non-free software during the install, and from my experience it will not add contrib non-free to the sources.list file; you will have a non-working wifi card until you get to the "poo poo's broke" cmd prompt and install firmware-wifiblob if it's anything newer than 2019.

Don't even get me started on getting off of pulse and onto pipewire just so you can use those fancy true wireless earbuds you bought.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why use debian at all

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you should use a distro that isn't made by religious fanatics

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Tankakern posted:

why use debian at all

least amount of random breakage. in my experience

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

why use debian at all

yeah just use windows and none of this will be a problem.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Debian - hard core stallmanisim that prevents users from doing obvious tasks
Fedora - Good but hope you like upgrading your OS every six months
Ubuntu - A graphical user interface that has driven many to madness
Arch - lol read the wiki you dumb user. roll up your sleeves and DIY
FreeBSD - idk the handbook is good at least ??!?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

free as in timeshare information session?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

free as in toe jam

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

A Bad King posted:

Unless you're totally unfamiliar with Linux or *nix customs and user space and try to install it via the net-install defaults on bleeding edge hardware from 2022, which will lead you into a command prompt when Debian cannot figure out whatsit with this ??? gpu or wifi 6e chip and really just wants a newer kernel.

Yes, I agree though. Debian is really good and I like it. I don't want to janitor a PC with twice-a-week updates and Firefox ESR is better than the default channel. Even if Buster arrived with a kernel old enough to attend preschool and Bullseye a GNOME version not seen since before someone's first impeachment proceeding.

I think anyone who runs a non LTS on their work machine is insane and loves wasting time. No idea how people bother with something like arch. but whatever

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CentOS dying was really the best boost Debian could have asked for

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Amethyst posted:

I think anyone who runs a non LTS on their work machine is insane and loves wasting time. No idea how people bother with something like arch. but whatever

:agreed:

Tinkering and distro hopping can be its own fun hobby on a spare machine, though.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

yummycheese posted:

this is why Ubuntu server is the best of the pos

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

A Bad King posted:

Tinkering and distro hopping can be its own fun hobby on a spare machine, though.

love too fight with my computer as a hobby

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Debian has a release on their (pretty confusing) website that includes the firmware for stuff like Wi-Fi.

I've tried a tonne of distros lately on my pinebook pro because I overwrote my install by accident. Wrote to emmc instead of the sd card.

Whoops hit post by accident. Anyway here's my review of each distro:

- Fedora works but takes forever to boot for some mysterious reason.
- Arch is godawful on arm, AVOID
- opensuse's image for pbp just didn't work
- Manjaro worked until it mysteriously decided it didn't want to... I think they pushed some broken update to gtk libs or something because poo poo was real hosed up
- Void linux worked just fine but I forgot my FDE password and couldn't be bothered to reinstall (it's a chroot-style install)
- Armbian didn't work
- PostmarketOS - this is based on alpine linux and there are images for lots of different devices. This is what I had on there initially and I regret not reinstalling it immediately because it is by far the easiest and most reliable... given me zero problems and everything works right out of the box.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 24, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

Debian has a release on their (pretty confusing) website

christ it's like if the netbsd website maintainers discovered bootstrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

yummycheese posted:

pop_os lts has a good ui

looks like they're about to gently caress that all up though by rolling their own DE